Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Mouse/Cursor Delay

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar >> Tech Support >> RE: Mouse/Cursor Delay Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mouse/Cursor Delay - 5/10/2005 11:26:26 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hobbes,

That's quite interesting, let me know if you find anything further that has results in TS:JC. I could definitely believe this being a driver issue, but we're not ruling anything out.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 31
RE: Mouse/Cursor Delay - 5/11/2005 12:07:28 AM   
HobbesACW

I found where to verify what driver I have installed and it is the correct one (76.10). I'm surprised it didn't at least make a difference to RTW as the problem seems identical. I'll try with the 75.90 driver in the next day or two.

Cheers, Chris

< Message edited by hobbes -- 5/11/2005 12:08:23 AM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 32
RE: Mouse/Cursor Delay - 5/11/2005 12:28:15 AM   
Erik Rutins

Make sure you uninstall drivers fully between version changes too. Google "DriverCleaner Pro" for a good utility to run between driver installations to avoid other possible issues.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 33
RE: Mouse/Cursor Delay - 5/12/2005 10:31:28 PM   
HobbesACW

I tried to install 75.90 but it doesn't seem to install correctly so I went back to the old version.

I think I will put the game on hold although I'm not sure what the situation is when I get a new PC - will I be able to download it again free of charge after entering the serial number?

Chris

Post #: 34
RE: Mouse/Cursor Delay - 5/12/2005 10:37:16 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hobbes,

What kind of installation problem did it give you?

Just back up your existing download onto CD and you're all set if you want to transfer it to a new computer later on.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 35
RE: Mouse/Cursor Delay - 5/13/2005 10:07:42 AM   
HobbesACW

Thanks Erik. The download seems confusing to quite a few. Some say you can download any time in 30 days some 90 days - yet I can't see this written anywhere. All the downloads I have made are still showing as available for download - even ones I made 5 or 6 months ago such as Alexander. Would I have to pay again if I was to say download Alexander again? If so with a new PC on the horizon and 5 games I have downloaded but yet to really play It looks as though download could have been a really bad choice for me. I just assumed I would be able to re-download at any time.

Then there is something about a 2 year download insurance - All very confusing!
If I make a CD copy I would have to pay another $9.99? As there is a button saying this on the download page. In that case I may as well have got it on CD in the first place.

The 76.10 driver installation comes up with a Nvidia screen asking how I want the display to be set but when I try to install 75.90 all I get is a screen asking me if I want to search the net for some software.

Cheers, Chris

< Message edited by hobbes -- 5/13/2005 2:22:46 PM >

Post #: 36
RE: Mouse/Cursor Delay - 5/13/2005 4:13:59 PM   
Erik Rutins

Keep in mind, anytime you pay for anything you will be asked for payment information and then asked to confirm payment. There are no "stealth charges", we wound never allow that.

As to your rights per our agreement - if you downloaded the game, you can back it up to CD, no problem at all. You can keep a backup copy on another computer. You can have it on say both your laptop and your desktop as long as you are the only player and don't use both at once.

The download period is more than 30 days in effect. DR controls this and the way they guarantee availability past 30 days (to re-download, for free) is this "Download Insurance" which guarantees two years of access to your download should you not back it up and lose it due to some computer disaster. Personally, I think having a backup copy is cheaper so I would always do it that way. Plus, for the same price you could order the game on demand and have a profesionally printed boxed copy if you prefer.

Your description of the 75.90 installation does concern me a bit - did you download straight from the www.nvidia.com site? I've only seen issues when previous drivers are nor removed or when there is a system issue or incompatibility between the driver installer and background programs (like anti-virus scanners).

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 37
RE: Mouse/Cursor Delay - 5/13/2005 6:28:59 PM   
HobbesACW

Thanks Erik, can I just make a copy of all the files and directory structure as it is on my hard disk or can I only save the downloaded installation exe (as somebody suggested in another thread? I don't think I kept those).

The drivers I'm using are beta versions as the RTW mouse lag seemed to be caused by a problem with the current NVIDIA driver. I got them from a non NVIDIA site mentioned in the RTW thread.

Cheers, Chris

P.S. I'm still confused as to what the 'burn your own CD' $9.99 button is for on the DR
download site - but I'll try and make a copy of JS at the weekend.

< Message edited by hobbes -- 5/13/2005 6:31:16 PM >

Post #: 38
RE: Mouse/Cursor Delay - 5/14/2005 12:19:37 AM   
Erik Rutins

Hello,

Koisworks has been working hard on an update to improve performance for those of you suffering from lag issues and also to add a variety of other enhancements. We are interested in getting this beta update out to as many of you as possible who are willing to give us some feedback this weekend on whether it resolves your performance issues or not. This will give you new options for texture quality that allowed me in testing here to get Julius Caesar running lightning-fast on a 32Mb GeForce 2MX video card on a 800MHz processor.

Please e-mail me at erikr@matrixgames.com and I will e-mail the update to you. Post in the support forum with your feedback on whether the update helps your performance and whether you experience any problems with it. Thanks!

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 39
RE: Mouse/Cursor Delay - 5/17/2005 12:10:10 AM   
6971grunt

Downloaded as suggested by Erik, at first I noted that the mouse was smooth and without delay through the first turn, but then started its old lagging behavior.

However, when I tried to play through the problem, the mouse lagging would stop for a bit [one or two units being moved, etc.] and then start the lagging again. This happened on several occassions during one game. Not sure what this all means, but a good game made slower.

"Over?! It's not over until we say it's over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!" John Blutarsky from the Movie "Animal House"

Post #: 40
RE: Mouse/Cursor Delay - 5/29/2005 1:02:17 PM   
HobbesACW

Well I think I have tried everything I can think of but the mouse lag is still there.
Its such a shame as it would be a great game without this problem. I imagine it has something to do with the 3D movable viewing angle which is really not needed in my opinion - I can't see people using this much.

I'll keep trying any new patches and video drivers as they come out.
Chris

(in reply to 6971grunt)
Post #: 41
RE: Mouse/Cursor Delay - 5/29/2005 3:03:38 PM   
e_barkmann

quote:

I imagine it has something to do with the 3D movable viewing angle which is really not needed in my opinion - I can't see people using this much

just in case Koios are reading - I use the spin/zoom/up/down 3D feature every turn, it makes me think I'm playing on a real tabletop - please keep the feature in.

Cheers Chris

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 42
RE: Mouse/Cursor Delay - 5/30/2005 3:04:39 AM   
HobbesACW

Fair comment Chris. My gripe really is about game developers constantly pushing the
envelope. Do you have a new PC? Mine is only 2 and a half years old but it seems to struggle with quite a few games now (And I'm a wargamer)

I'm resigned to having to buy a new PC every 3 or 4 years but I'm amazed that after only 2 and a half years (with an updated graphics card) I'm already struggling with a few wargames. Why? The old Talansoft EFII still looks fine to me and plays well - Alexander the Great was a good game that just needed a little tweaking with gameplay, a few more scenarios and a less gaudy background. It had no mouse lag.

They did all that but then felt they had to add a 3d view. Fine if you have a new PC - but do you want to buy a new PC every year?
I'm getting fed up with it. Nothing wrong with making the game as good as you can for people with new PC's - but they need to have tested it properly on slightly older PC's (my PC spec is actually supposed to be more than adequate for this game)

Grrrr! :)

When I finally get a new PC I hope the mouse lag is gone, if so I might actually buy any further games in the series (unless there is some kind of new 4d view)

Cheers, Chris

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 43
RE: Mouse/Cursor Delay - 5/30/2005 5:52:27 AM   
e_barkmann

Hi Hobbes

my machine is a couple of years old - it's an AMD 2400+ CPU with a geforce 4 4200i card (64MB)on win XP and seems to handle most games reasonably well. I did recently upgrade the RAM to 1GB and that has made a difference with some games responsiveness.

I don't have any real issue with mouse lag - yes, the frame rate drops when you have a large number of units on the tabletop and the mouse is a bit slower but still manageable. I run the game with highest quality textures enabled at 1152x864 and it looks stunning. I have disabled Vsync as this tends to slow down frame rate a fair bit when it's enabled, it just means that when you scroll across the map quickly you notice 'tearing' of the image as the top and bottom parts of the image are not in sync - no biggie.

I agree with you regarding upgrades but I think this is unavoidable when you are trying to play the latest 3D games and not get frustrated. I dread to think of the $ I have sunk into my machines over the years; it's a conspiracy I tell you! :-)

Perhaps Koios could comment on whether they are looking at optimising their new engine further for older machines?

Cheers Chris

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to HobbesACW)
Post #: 44
RE: Mouse/Cursor Delay - 5/30/2005 6:57:37 AM   
Erik Rutins

Going to vent a bit at some of the video card and system manufacturers here - I know it may be viewed as shifting blame, but it is actually well founded. I would never have expected a two year old system to have any problems until I started looking into some of these budget video cards they're including.

Unfortunately, it turns out that there are a lot of relatively new graphics cards that are marketed with a lot of memory (up to 128Mb) that simply don't have any actual "horsepower". I literally get better performance on a five year old 32Mb card than some customers are getting on two year old 128Mb "marketing wonders". My best advice at this point, unless Koios can find a more optimized setting than low, is that customers consider the large number of excellent video cards under $50 that can run this without any lag. We'll keep looking into optimizations, but please keep these comments in mind.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 45
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar >> Tech Support >> RE: Mouse/Cursor Delay Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI