Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Problem launching game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> Flashpoint Germany Support >> Problem launching game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problem launching game - 5/2/2005 5:42:30 AM   
jolane99

I'm having a problem where when I launch the game, either through the game menu or the quick launch, all I get is a black screen. I have to kill the program through task manager. I purchased the game through the download option and it seemed to install fine. I also installed the 1.02 patch. Any thoughts?
Post #: 1
RE: Problem launching game - 5/3/2005 12:32:58 AM   
CapnDarwin

Jolane99,

In the main game folder there should be a file called FPG_report.txt. This is an error log file. If you post this Rob and I can look it over to see what the problem is. I had black screen problems with 101, but they went away with 102. I would verify that the update went to the right place as well.

S!

Cap'n D

(in reply to jolane99)
Post #: 2
RE: Problem launching game - 5/3/2005 4:38:44 AM   
jolane99

I am certain the update went to the correct place. When I launch the game, if I Alt-Tab I can bring up a smaller window that has a "Flashpoint Germany" splashscreen. It shows "ver. 1.0.2" in the lower left corner. The odd part is that when I Alt-Tab, it shows 4 "FPG" windows that I can Alt-Tab through (one is the splash screen, three are black). When I hit "End Task" in Task Manager to kill the process it comes up with a window saying that the system is waiting for a response from me. I've tried hitting keys to no avail. Thanks for the response, I'll attach the FPG_report.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Problem launching game - 5/3/2005 5:21:08 AM   
CapnDarwin

Looking at the log the game is having trouble loading the mediaplayer (not the microsoft version-a delphi call to the sound control code). I would guess there is a soundcard/driver issue or your sound system is running in another program or a CD is playing. Rob will need to look deeper at what is going on with this. Are you having trouble with other games?

Hope there is an easy fix.

S!

Cap'n D

(in reply to jolane99)
Post #: 4
RE: Problem launching game - 5/4/2005 4:24:54 AM   
jolane99

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I can't find any sound issues. I did get the latest drivers for the soundcard and I ensured that there isn't anything related to sound running in the background (no CD audio, no mp3's etc.) When I launch the Game Menu, I do hear the little bursts of static when I mouse over the menu options. I have rebooted and I have stopped everything that'll stop in Task Manager. I haven't had any issues with sound with any other program, game or otherwise. Weird. Thanks for the help.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Problem launching game - 5/4/2005 5:05:07 AM   
CapnDarwin

Jolane99,

Have you tried loading the game by launching the flashpointgermany.exe in the main folder instead of the autorun.exe?
How far into the game goes it get? Do you get the Matrix Games Logo animation? Can you launch the MatrixGamesLogo.avi animation from the main folder?

I'll keep helping until we pin this thing down. I know Rob is out until Thursday.

S!

Cap'n D

(in reply to jolane99)
Post #: 6
RE: Problem launching game - 5/5/2005 3:26:58 AM   
jolane99

Launching the .exe does the same thing (an immediate black screen). I don't get anything more than that. However, I tried your other suggestion and think we may be onto something there. If I click on the MatrixGamesLogo.avi I get an error in MediaPlayer. If I open a new instance of MediaPlayer and drag the .avi in, it runs fine. For whatever reason, having the .avi call MediaPlayer gives an error. I get the same error with the Alienware.avi and SimCanLogo.avi. MediaPlayer is the default program to launch .avi's and I can run other .avi's fine. The error isn't very descriptive: "C00D11CD: Unknown error" and there isn't anything at all in the eventlogs. I can copy the .avi to a different PC and it will run OK (I haven't tried installing to another PC yet) so it looks like the problem is with this particular machine. Strange all the same. Thanks for your help in troubleshooting.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 7
RE: Problem launching game - 5/5/2005 3:49:16 AM   
CapnDarwin

Sounds like something is broke mediaplayer wise. What version of Mediaplayer do you have on the first machine. I'm running version 8 now and I know version 10 is out. I need to check my other machine which I believe is running version 10.

Hope we are getting closer to the answer.

S!

Cap'n D

(in reply to jolane99)
Post #: 8
RE: Problem launching game - 5/5/2005 4:53:56 AM   
jolane99

I agree, MediaPlayer looks like the culprit. I am using MP 10. The odd part is that every other .avi I can find works fine. What would happen if I copied in a known good .avi, then changed the name to MatrixGamesLogo.avi? I would, obviously, not have the initial experience the developers intended but I wonder if it would work...

UPDATE: It didn't. I copied in a .avi, changed the name (actually made three copies and changed each name to reflect one of the three .avi's in the folder) and I still get a black screen upon launching. Bummer.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 9
RE: Problem launching game - 5/5/2005 5:45:19 AM   
CapnDarwin

My 101 version fired up fine on my other machine with Mediaplayer 10. Have you tried to reinstall mediaplayer 10? What language are you using?

S!

Cap'n D

(in reply to jolane99)
Post #: 10
RE: Problem launching game - 5/6/2005 2:37:17 AM   
IronManBeta

Hi, just saw this thread. The black screen is the basic FPG background used to black out the desktop so that the avi files can play prior to the setup screen appearing. It looks very much like the movie files are refusing to play for you. As a further test could you move them out of the game directory entirely or rename them to something else (you can add an "X" at the beginning of the name for example). The game will skip them if it can't find them and go straight to the setup screen. Please let us know if this works.

Thanks, Rob.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 11
RE: Problem launching game - 5/6/2005 3:33:59 AM   
jolane99

I did re-install MP10 to no avail. I tried renaming the .avi's and that did the trick! Thanks very much, I really appreciate the excellent support!

(in reply to IronManBeta)
Post #: 12
RE: Problem launching game - 5/6/2005 3:49:58 AM   
IronManBeta

Hey that is great news. It doesn't actually have anything to do with Media Player 10 but it does a lot to do with the various codecs that it (and Flashpoint) call on to render the avi movie. Flashpoint has it's own way of doing things and it either works or it doesn't and there isn't much we can do if it doesn't. We tested quite extensively and found that very few setups had a problem, but in your case you simply 'rolled a six' as I used to say and had bad luck. The movies are not essential and thankfully you can just play the game after all.

Happy times, good luck, Rob.

(in reply to jolane99)
Post #: 13
RE: Problem launching game - 5/6/2005 3:55:03 AM   
CapnDarwin

Glad to see you are back in business!

S!

Cap'n D

(in reply to jolane99)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> Flashpoint Germany Support >> Problem launching game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI