Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Back in Business!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: Back in Business! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Back in Business! - 5/28/2005 2:12:58 AM   
Terminus

Looking very much forward to that... This retreat-all-the-time-stuff is losing its novelty value.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 31
RE: Back in Business! - 5/28/2005 8:26:48 PM   
Wild Bill

http://www.wargamer.com/gamesdepot/details.asp?sid=3973

Battle #3, "The Wolfhounds," is posted. It is now August and the Pusan Perimeter lines are drawn. This is a meeting engagement with some armored firepower for you. Now you get to take it to the NKPA for a change!

It is a tough head on clash on the western side of the perimeter. Good hunting!

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 32
RE: Back in Business! - 5/28/2005 8:43:25 PM   
junk2drive

Your two hour battles always take me days

I have to have everything set to slow or I can't tell what's going on.

Turn 11. I disabled two tanks early. They shoot back. Retreating enemy retreats toward me.
Precious ammo wasted on trucks. (unless they give big points)

Thanks WB, I'll get to the others too.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 33
RE: Back in Business! - 5/29/2005 12:21:12 AM   
Terminus

Getting into the second half of "Sacrificial Lambs". God, what a mess.

The center of town is a blazing heap of rubble. Four NK T-34's stand burning and abandoned in the streets, surrounded by the bodies of scores of Communist and US soldiers. The mortars ran out of ammunition long ago, and the F-80's have expended their rockets as well. It seems for every NK soldier that falls, two take his place, whilst every fallen US soldier leaves another hole in the line that can't be plugged.

For a few fleeting moments after the destruction of the last enemy tank, the Americans thought they might make it. Then the sound of bugles heralded another NK charge followed by hundreds of brown-uniformed figures storming forward. The center of the line is buckling...

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 34
RE: Back in Business! - 5/29/2005 1:59:51 AM   
Terminus

The battle of Chonan is over. The NKPA hold the center and southwestern outskirts of the town, but the road south is open for the tattered remnants of the US forces to retreat down.

210 NK soldiers lie dead in the ruined town, alongside the burnt-out hulks of six T-34 tanks. Four of the metal monsters were destroyed in close combat by American infantrymen, while another two fell victim to FEAF F-80 jets.

But what losses the Americans took: 216 GI's were left behind in the rubble, and the 3/34th Infantry has ceased to exist as a coherent fighting force. All that is left now is the long retreat, with the demoralised US units barely held together by the few veteran NCO's that survived the massacre that was the fight for Chonan.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 35
RE: Back in Business! - 5/29/2005 4:25:20 AM   
Wild Bill

That is the nice thing about gaming, you have time to think your tactics through and react accordingly. Take your time. Enjoy it, Junk2. A meal eaten slowly is often better enjoyed than one that a person wolfs down quickly.

There are there at your disposal. Thanks for the update.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 36
RE: Back in Business! - 5/29/2005 4:25:27 AM   
junk2drive

Finished 400
US 2437
NK 2561
Draw
I held on to the lower flag but got overrun on the top one. I shoulda let all the tanks pass.

On to the next battle.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 37
RE: Back in Business! - 5/29/2005 4:32:29 AM   
Wild Bill

The top one is the historical area where the GIs were hit the hardest. It was where the TF Smith first broke. Even without the tanks it is hard to hold. Only enfilading machine gun fire from the lower hill as the NKPA flanks the position can give you enough firepower to keep them from swarming the guys in the western end of the perimeter.

Don't feel badly. THis is a tough one to win.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 38
RE: Back in Business! - 5/29/2005 12:44:01 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Finished 400
US 2437
NK 2561
Draw
I held on to the lower flag but got overrun on the top one. I shoulda let all the tanks pass.

On to the next battle.

This is exactly what happened to me, with the one exception that I DID let all the tanks pass. Except for the last one on the map which got hit by a VERY lucky bazooka shot.

Simply too many NK's and not enough GI's. First draw I've ever been satisfied with

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 39
RE: Back in Business! - 5/29/2005 3:53:13 PM   
Terminus

Feedback on "The Wolfhounds":

I've gotten to Turn 6, and am in a mother of a firefight with the NK's in the center of the map. It's bogged down for the moment.

I have three minor technical issues to report:

1): I'm seeing less accuracy in US rifle and MG fire than I'd expected. Is this on purpose, to reflect the years of goofing off in Japan, or am I just imagining things?

2): The NK 81mm mortar teams seem to be shooting 152mm shells. I thought the explosions looked awfully big, until one of my trucks ate a shell and it was identified on screen.

3): A very minor thing, but the battle is set to take place in August of 1949 (8/2/49 in the calendar).

Otherwise, it's a good fight. One of my Shermans has bounced EIGHT 85mm shells so far. Granted, they were fired at extreme range, but still... EIGHT!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 40
RE: Back in Business! - 5/29/2005 5:22:58 PM   
Wild Bill

I'll check the mortars. They should not be but its worth checking. US forces were, as you say, green and unfamiliar with what a real fight was all about. There were some vets in the outfit, but by and large they were kids who enlisted after WW2, with a false sense of confidence.

That 1949 date is one I should have changed and thought I did. When I do that, I can't pick units for any pre-release changes. Perhaps I forgot to change it back.

Good points and I will check them all.

A draw is acceptable in this one. This was a rough time for the Allies and victories were few and far between. Just holding your ground is enough to be considered a personal victory if nothing else. Korea brought the birth of the famous phrase, "Bugging out." There was a lot of that during the summer of 1950.

WB

< Message edited by Wild Bill -- 5/29/2005 5:23:22 PM >

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 41
RE: Back in Business! - 5/29/2005 5:39:54 PM   
Terminus

I think I'll have to have another go at "The Wolfhounds". Two T-34's just appeared in the bottom left corner of the map and blew three of my Shermans to hell in one turn That was enough to break the morale of my force. One hell of a fight you've presented here, Colonel Wilder, Sir!

I've had my respect for the soldiers of the Korean War renewed by these battles. I read a quote from a US Marine somewhere, who'd fought both in the Pacific and Korea; he said that fighting the NK's and Chinese was actually WORSE than fighting the Japanese. There's just so MANY of them!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 42
RE: Back in Business! - 5/29/2005 5:44:36 PM   
Wild Bill

Before you start, you might want to download again. I fixed the things you mentioned, Terminus and posted it under the same title.

You better watch out, I might enlist you as a tester. You've got a great eye for detail.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 43
RE: Back in Business! - 5/29/2005 5:46:49 PM   
Terminus

Got it (both on downloading and serving as tester)! It would be a privilege!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 44
RE: Back in Business! - 5/29/2005 5:47:02 PM   
Wild Bill

If I might offer advice, watch your left flank. I'd keep at least one platoon to the south to cover the south road. Knock out tanks as quickly as you can. Once they pile up on you, they have too many shots. Keep your tanks out of infantry fire. They can demoralize your tank crews and keep them from being accurate.

Your right flank can be used to your advantage, firing on the enemy as they move south. Enfilade fire can hurt the NKPA. They are mean and angry and hard to stop.

Thanks for the kind words.

Hang on, ya'll. Its gonna get better!

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 45
RE: Back in Business! - 5/29/2005 5:50:08 PM   
Wild Bill

Send me your e-mail address. I don't let an opportunity like this pass. Or better still, send me an e-mail. I'll respond at once. I'd love to get you involved in this, my friend.

bwilder@bellsouth.net

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 46
RE: Back in Business! - 5/29/2005 5:51:11 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild Bill

Hang on, ya'll. Its gonna get better!

WB

I'll hold you to that!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 47
RE: Back in Business! - 5/29/2005 5:54:47 PM   
Terminus

E-Mail sent!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 48
RE: Back in Business! - 5/29/2005 6:48:27 PM   
junk2drive

I thought my "draw" was pretty good. I think I would've been happy with a defeat.
Early Korea was Hell for the Allies.
When WB gets to Chongju, things will be different.

< Message edited by junk2drive -- 5/29/2005 6:59:59 PM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 49
RE: Back in Business! - 5/31/2005 12:46:54 AM   
Terminus

Well, I got through "The Wolfhounds" but in a pretty battered state. The key to this scenario seems to be to advance quickly and take Wild Bill's advice and secure the right flank of the map so you can catch the NK's in a crossfire as they storm south.

And take out the T-34's QUICKLY! They can hurt you very badly if you let them.

Here are the numbers:

US Army -> 99 KIA, lost 2 trucks, 3 halftracks and 4 Shermans. Final score 7948 points, Marginal Victory.

NKPA -> 369 KIA, lost 3 mortars and 9 T-34's. Final score 1848 points, Marginal Defeat.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 50
RE: Back in Business! - 5/31/2005 6:38:11 PM   
Wild Bill

It can be done, Terminus, but it is very tough. Medal of Honor winner Sgt. Koumas, commanding a M-24 Chaffee is coming up this week. "The Highest Honor." It should be out Friday at Wargamer, Games Depot.

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 51
RE: Back in Business! - 5/31/2005 6:41:00 PM   
Wild Bill

I'm finishing up the second set of Korean scenarios, "Breakout to the Yalu." I have one more to do. THere will be five scenario in this batch, dealing with Inchon and to the north.

Ken "Orzel" Baran did an excellent map on the island of Wolmi-Do. Its a classic!

I just finished testing the capture of Yongdungp'o, the key to taking Seoul. It was a bloody fight all right and I was lucky to secure a marginal.

If you will, gamers, let me know if you are interested in these scenarios. I need to hear from you. A lot of time and effort from me and the testers is going into this. Sound off for me, please!

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 52
RE: Back in Business! - 6/1/2005 2:08:34 AM   
Alby

By the number of downloads at the Wargamer, Im sure people luv them!!
Over 900 Downloads!
They have always loved your work Bill. It is much appreciated.
Alot of the players dont post at the various forums as much as some of us
keep up the great work!

< Message edited by Alby -- 6/1/2005 2:10:47 AM >

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 53
RE: Back in Business! - 6/1/2005 4:30:08 AM   
parusski

Bill I have enjoyed all your work, current scenario's included. Please don't stop, the Korean War in too neglected.

Good work.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 54
RE: Back in Business! - 6/1/2005 7:40:53 AM   
Wild Bill

Thank you gentlemen. I certainly hope so. You know, I enjoy doing it just from the creative standpoint. I even enjoy playing them after designing them. I do feel that Korea is often neglected but it does have a lot to offer from the wargaming and historical perspective.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 55
RE: Back in Business! - 6/1/2005 7:42:01 AM   
Wild Bill

I like the Sherman quote, Parusski! I never saw that before! Nixon would have loved it (G)!

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 56
RE: Back in Business! - 6/1/2005 5:38:59 PM   
Wild Bill

The last of the four scenarios, titled, "The Long Hard Summer," will be posted Friday. This is a smaller, fairly quick play scenario dealing with some of the fighting along the Pusan perimeter. US Chaffee tanks are supporting infantry along the Naktong River.

Then comes the second series, dealing with the breakout from Inchon, called, "On to the Yalu!"
THE HIGHEST HONOR

NK Assault vs. US Army Defend
Naktong River Crossing, South Korea
0100, August 31, 1950
Turns: 10

Scenario Size: Small
Estimated Playing Time: 45 Minutes*
One Player Scenario (US) only

Design: Wild Bill Wilder
bwilder@bellsouth.net

Testers: "Steeler" Gallagher, "Mad Italian" Rocca, "Goblin" DiNicola, "Mosh"

Skukko,"Razz"

Your Orders:

As the US commander, your task is to hold the high ground south of the Naktong River. You have tank support and it will save the day for you. Use them carefully. The enemy has some confiscated US bazookas along with some satchel charges. A mobile defense and a willingness to give some ground will help you to achieve a victory.

Historical background:

By the end of August Allied forces had been pushed into a tiny corner of Korea, which came to be known as the Pusan Perimeter, also known as the Naktong Perimeter This area stretched approximately from the sea about 100 miles to the north, and some 50
miles east to west.

Helping hold the line at the Naktong River positions was Company A, or the 82nd Tank Battalion, part of the 2nd Infantry Division. Sergeant First Class Ernest R. Kouma of the 2nd platoon commanded one of the M-24 Chaffee tanks in support of the soldiers
there. At about midnight on August 31st, a strong North Korean force over 500 men crossed the narrow river under the cover of darkness and smashed into Allied lines.

A limited Allied withdrawal was ordered and the tanks were instructed to cover it, until a secondary defensive position could be established. Kouma and the other three Chaffee tanks placed themselves on or around the highway leading south.

The enemy assault quickly overran two of the American tanks, which seemed to disappear under a wiggling, firing mass of oriental humanity. The crews of both tanks were overwhelmed and killed on the spot. The other tank withdrew with its turret
facing backward, firing as it moved.

Now only his tank remained in position to stop the onrushing enemy. Kouma coolly ordered his crew to keep the firing up. In a matter of minutes the enemy surrounded his tank. Instead of buttoning up, Sgt. Kouma leaped from the protection of the turret. Manning the .50 caliber machine gun mounted on the rear deck, he fired point blank into the swarming North Korean soldiers. In a matter of moments the gun jammed and he drew his pistol and continued to kill the enemy. Out of bullets, he reached through the hatch, pulled out grenades and hurled them into the attackers, killing even more of them.

After fighting for over two hours and being wounded three times, Kouma allowed his crew to withdraw the tank. It was estimated that he and his tank crew had killed over 100 of the attackers. This magnificent stand gave the infantry time to consolidate new defensive positions and drive the enemy back. Rejoining what was left of his company, he attempted to refuel and rearm his tank. He was so badly wounded, however, that it was not possible.

Even while being evacuated for medical treatment, Kouma asked to be “fixed up and sent back” to his unit. For his courage in the face of such impossible odds, he would be the first tanker in Korea to receive the Medal of Honor.

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 57
RE: Back in Business! - 6/1/2005 5:44:21 PM   
Terminus

I picked up HyperSnap, which I actually do remember from the old days. Let's see if I can get the thing to work...

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 58
RE: Back in Business! - 6/1/2005 5:50:48 PM   
Wild Bill

It works fine for me. Be sure your Number Lock and Caps Lock are off. Open Hypersnap. Minimize it. Open SPWAW. When ready to take a shot, press the Scroll Lock key, then minimize SPWAW (Alt-tab) and your picture should pop up. You can then crop it (Using scissors) and save it. Good luck.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 59
RE: Back in Business! - 6/4/2005 1:38:54 AM   
parusski

Yeah Wild Bill I love the Sherman quote myself. I first heard it on the Ken Burns "Civil War" series on PBS. I came across it again a few years later in a book of quotes and felt like I had to use it. I feel the same way about most reporters...

Anyway, keep it up. I love you man.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: Back in Business! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI