Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Back in Business!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: Back in Business! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Back in Business! - 6/4/2005 7:05:32 AM   
Wild Bill

You got it Parusski! A new one, the last in the Long Hot Summer series was posted tonight. Help yourself!

Thanks, my brother! That is encouraging indeed.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 61
RE: Back in Business! - 6/4/2005 8:12:43 AM   
junk2drive

Got the battle before I came here.

I seem to have succeeded in creating a Mod Manager ready mod for the North Korea and Communist China flags for use with WBWs Korea series.

Goin to be a busy weekend.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 62
RE: Back in Business! - 6/4/2005 9:27:44 PM   
parusski

Wild Bill I am getting The Long Hot Summer as we speak. I will give you feedback.

Take care.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 63
RE: Back in Business! - 6/5/2005 7:56:48 AM   
Wild Bill

I'll be standing by, Parusski! Actually all four scenario form the Series, "Long Hard Summer," but I'll be interested in the results you have with this one.

Are you posting it for a download, J2K?

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 64
RE: Back in Business! - 6/5/2005 8:48:46 AM   
junk2drive

Yes I did. Maybe I should put it at Games Depot?

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 65
RE: Back in Business! - 6/5/2005 4:15:11 PM   
Wild Bill

By all means. THat would be a nice addition. You should do it.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 66
Second Korean Series About to Begin - 6/7/2005 9:11:57 PM   
Wild Bill

A new series on Korea will begin shortly. This series, Headed North to the Yalu, will cover the months of Sept-Nov, 1950, up until the massive Chinese itervention so well known in history.

The first one, "Whipping Wolmi-Do" covering one important aspect of the invasion of Inchon, should be up within a week at the Scenario/Games Depot at the Wargamer.

Thanks for your support, interest and the excellent AARs I've been reading!

Also my thanks for the hard work of the testers. You guys are tops!

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 67
RE: Second Korean Series About to Begin - 6/9/2005 8:51:29 AM   
RayM

Just finished "The Wolfhounds" for the second time. What a great scenario. This time I played a more defensive posture and set up a number of crossfire kill zones and let them come to me. I used the WP to keep the NK away from firing range as often as I could. I also used smoke grenades to obscure LOS where I could.

Great moments (1): I managed to hide a M4E8 behind a building (in the village in the center of the map) and a T-34 (heading South down their left flank) passed right in front of the Sherman's LOS. A 2 hex, 90 degree shot right into the left side. One dead T-34. Couldn't believe it.

Great moment (2): The F-51s taking out many of the T-34s. But I did have one of my tanks attacked by mistake. Bummer.

Great moment (3): At the start, I sent a half-track with Recon & Bazooka team loaded on a far right flank northern movement to turn the NK left flank. On many turns, NK units headed SE spotted and fired on it but the distance was too great to have any real impact. Ever so slowly, I was able to move the unit North and then West. The real thrill was when 2 NK tanks headed East were spotted. Having unloaded the Recon and Bazooka Team a turn or two previously, I waited to see what would happen next. The tanks kept moving East. A F-51 got one a turn or two later. The remaining tank continued moving East and then turned South and then SW (and passing by my units). Then to my great surprise, the Bazooka Team managed to hit and kill the other one with an up the rear shot. Nice.

After destroying most of the tanks over several turns, I was able to stabilize my lines and use the WP and F-51s to stop NK units moving forward to any great degree. Near the end of the scenario, I was finally able to get another loaded HT headed North to help capture the most northern VH. After driving the NK units back with WP over several turns, I was also able to recapture the center VH with a M4 carrying a reduced squad. (Something I had not done the first time--loading troops on tanks). I finally got a second loaded HT headed North help capture the most northern VH by Turn 14. I kept the remnants of several NK units away with WP, captured the final VH, and then held on.

Bottom line: Plan ahead and know when to move from a defensive posture to an offensive one. And make sure that you have some units capable of doing so when the time comes. Don't go toe-to-toe with the T-34s either. Use a combo of M4 and Bazooka Team working together to ambush the T-34s where possible.

Overall, very enjoyable. And thanks to all who worked on these scenarios. Great job!

RayM

< Message edited by RayM -- 6/9/2005 8:58:07 AM >

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 68
NICELY DONE! - 6/9/2005 6:52:30 PM   
Wild Bill

Nice AAR and a great use of combat tactics, Ray! Plus a little luck always helps! You never know about those F-51s. As you say, we have what appears to be a very near-sighted pilot! .

Your handling of your men was perfect. That creates those special moments. That bazooka team should be decorated, Bronze Star minimum. It ain't easy to hold your ground when one of those 40 ton behemoths comes knocking at your door!

You and Lt. Col. Check have a lot in common.

I enjoyed reading this immensely. This is the kind of things that keeps me keeping on and trying harder to do them right!

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to RayM)
Post #: 69
2nd Series Begins! - 6/10/2005 7:16:42 PM   
Wild Bill

For those following the scenarios on Korea, the next series, "North to the Yalu" is now going to be available. The first one covers the key fighting on Wolmi Do, the island guarding the entrance to Inchon. Some hard fighting went on there as the 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines stormed ashore and took it.
Ken "Orzel" Baran did the map. Its a beauty and is included in the zip file! You'll have to put it into the maps directory to see the big, big map of the area.

http://www.wargamer.com/gamesdepot/details.asp?sid=3990

Look for its posting today. Some background for you.

WHIPPING WOLMI-DO

Scenario Size: Medium
Estimated Playing Time: 45 Minutes
Wolmi-Do Island, Inchon, September 15, 1950, 0830 Hours

Design Notes: Captain, your company is to clean out sector 2 on the map. A number of enemy troops may still be active and could present a problem with flanking fire on Blue Beach when the main landings begin. Check all enemy strongpoints and caves and clean them out. Supporting tanks should be joining you shortly.

Historical Background: The tiny island of Wolmi-Do sat in Inchon Harbor like a menacing boil on the face of the sea. Intelligence reports indicated a strong enemy presence with some big guns. From Wolmi-Do, the enemy could pour in enfilade fire on troops landing at both Blue and Red beaches at Inchon.

To neutralize this threat, attacks from the air and the sea hammered the island for five days. In the first encounter, six destroyers crept into the harbor and opened up on Wolmi-Do. The large North Korean guns carefully hidden responded after ten minutes and a serious fight ensued. Destroyers Collet, Gurke and Swenson were all hit and some sailors killed. By the end of the free-for-all, however, many of Wolmi-Do's guns had been knocked out.

Just before dawn, on September 15th, Joint Task Force Seven again approached Wolmi-Do. After more naval gunfire and napalm attacks by Marine Corsairs and Skyraiders, the 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines came ashore.

Nearly all the enemy's fortifications had been knocked out but some 500 enemy soldiers and a few larger weapons would still have to be taken out. Shortly after the Marines disembarked, nine tanks, 3 of them equipped with flamethrowers, came on shore.

In some areas the enemy fought to the death but in less than an hour, the American flag was flapping in the breeze from the highest point on the island, a grim, bloody indication that Inchon would be next.

Sources:

Conflict, The History of the Korean War, Leckie
The Korean War Almanac, Summers
Fire and Ice, Varhola
on to the Yalu, Hoyt

< Message edited by Wild Bill -- 6/10/2005 7:21:12 PM >

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 70
RE: 2nd Series Begins! - 6/10/2005 8:12:31 PM   
Alby

< Message edited by Alby -- 6/12/2005 7:11:40 PM >

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 71
RE: 2nd Series Begins! - 6/27/2005 10:16:35 PM   
Wild Bill

There is a sixth scenario posted in the Korea series at the Wargamer. You'll need it to keep your series complete. At least two more to come, then we'll do the Chosin and related battles in the fall. Don't miss it. Its a good one!

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 72
RE: 2nd Series Begins! - 6/27/2005 10:18:46 PM   
Wild Bill

In keeping with the upcoming Chosin series to be added to the Korean scenarios, Louie Marsh passed on this site, a very interesting interview with General OP Smith, commander of the 1st Marine Division at Chosin when all hell broke loose. He is credited with, "Retreat hell! We're just advancing in another direction!"

http://www.chosinreservoir.com/smithinterview.htm

GUnny, Recon, and Leatherneck if you are still around, you should enjoy this!

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 73
RE: NICELY DONE! - 6/29/2005 9:34:15 AM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild Bill

Nice AAR and a great use of combat tactics, Ray! Plus a little luck always helps! You never know about those F-51s. As you say, we have what appears to be a very near-sighted pilot! .

Your handling of your men was perfect. That creates those special moments. That bazooka team should be decorated, Bronze Star minimum. It ain't easy to hold your ground when one of those 40 ton behemoths comes knocking at your door!
They did not do this in my training,but dad told me for the Korean War era,Infantrymen were trained to sit in foxholes which they dug,and a tank would "run over" them..It was to give them confidence in their holes..........

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 74
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: Back in Business! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI