Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Heavy Bomber Losses

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Heavy Bomber Losses Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Heavy Bomber Losses - 5/11/2005 6:19:53 PM   
Lemurs!

Pasternakski, 12 came back on a return sortie the next day.

My point was to show, as other posters noted, that one person says that 'a betty exploded, probably because of unprotected fuel tanks' and it eventually becomes 'betties always explode'.

The Sherman is a great example. The German MkIV is a basic, decent tank to historians. But, the Sherman has a rep as a death trap, people will claim daily that we needed 5 shermans to do anything because 4 would be destroyed etc.
But, in point of fact the sherman was as good or slightly better than the MkIV.

And i would not say that the Americans were more honest either during or after the war as to losses. I find the Americans and the Russians to have been the most dishonest of WW2 while the British were the most honest. The Japanese were middle of the road.

As to Zero losses a number of American written annals of the Canal mention over a period of a week or two the Japanese(by our count) losing a hundred Zeroes, but it didn't help because our intelligence sources listed 100 more flying into Rabaul.

Trist, you seem to have read one book, and that is great because Lundstrom is an above average author. However, many people have read other books giving ideas as fact that are more properly termed exageration or are downright misnomers.

How many people believe that the 250kg bomb was the main bomb used by Japan in an anti ship role during WW2? I mean everyone knows the 800kg was a conversion of a battleship round (was it 14"? or 16"? hmmm....) used only at Pearl don't they?
Actually, the 500kg bomb was widely used and probably about even in number of drops with the 250kg bomb. There was another 800kg bomb used fairly commonly by a few level bombers during the war as well. We 'learn' many things by playing Pacwar and WitP but remember it is just a game.

My point, oh so friendly one, is that we need to really look at things before we decide what is broken, not just rant and rave.

The P39 was the plane that had the lowest per opposed sortie loss rate in the European theater. This is represented in this game by giving it 2 armour and 32 durability which is above the larger, heavier, known to be durable P40.

But, its armour was hardly heavier than any other American aircraft and every Japanese account says the plane was easy to cut in half even with 2 7.7mm Mgs. Hmm... Which is it?
The Americans lost 21 P400s (with the same armour and structure as a P39D) on the Canal in what, a week?

Kind of the same with the Shturmavik. We all 'know' it was the heaviest armoured plane around! But actually its armour, all though all around, was actually very thin compared to the standard plate used on fighters at this time and if you read the design papers on it you find that the bathtub was designed for only one purpose; to keep out shrapnel from light flak bursts.
The plane actually took very heavy losses.

Mike

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 211
RE: Heavy Bomber Losses - 5/11/2005 9:12:28 PM   
Tristanjohn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Culiacan Mexico

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tristanjohn
...Still, how does all that impact the subject of this thread?...
What is the subject of this thread? That ahistorically large bombing groups of B-17 flying bombing at ahistorically flight levels against ahistorically large groups of Japanese interceptors are suffering ahistorically losses/ratios? Most likely.

Are historical size bombing groups of B-17 flying at historical flight levels against historic level of Japanese interceptor suffering ahistorical losses? Doesn’t seem to be the issue or what is being tested.

For the record, I don’t care if after extensive testing the programmers increase/decrease B-17 losses and/or increase/decrease Japanese fighter losses… as long as it better approximates history. But people complaining that their +100 B-17 raids are taking too heavy losses or running test to prove something of this nature… do virtually nothing.

Historically, B-17 vs Japanese fighters were small actions which lead to casualties on both sides to even out for the most part. If the game doesn’t model this (all other factors at historical levels) or someone runs extensive test showing this not to be the case, then I will fully support ‘change’. But those who are unhappy that there +100 B-17 raids at 6,000 feet is taking high loss rates while claim the losses aren’t historical…. is something else.

Agreed.

First thing to do would be to get the numbers of planes right, then fly them correctly.

There are more B-17s than we should have in the game. I asked about this a looooong time ago. Received no answer. But it's not just the B-17s. The Japanese side of the board is equally stretched. Everything's running too fast, assets being piled on top of hexes like nobody's business. It can get to be a farce in no time at all.

(in reply to Culiacan Mexico)
Post #: 212
RE: Heavy Bomber Losses - 5/11/2005 9:23:39 PM   
Tristanjohn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lemurs!

Trist, you seem to have read one book, and that is great because Lundstrom is an above average author. However, many people have read other books giving ideas as fact that are more properly termed exageration or are downright misnomers.

That's somewhat amusing. A couple years ago on the UV forum I was accused of reading just one author, too, only that time it was Morison instead of Lundstrom. Now I'm accused of having read only Lundstrom.

I'd say you guys need to get your story straight.

(in reply to Lemurs!)
Post #: 213
RE: Heavy Bomber Losses - 5/11/2005 9:47:44 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

quote:

That's somewhat amusing. A couple years ago on the UV forum I was accused of reading just one author, too, only that time it was Morison instead of Lundstrom. Now I'm accused of having read only Lundstrom.

Must be a conspiracy! Quick, call the moderator! Oops, I am the moderator. Hmm, maybe I'm in on it

Still waiting for your Save 12/10/41 TJ

(in reply to Tristanjohn)
Post #: 214
RE: Heavy Bomber Losses - 5/11/2005 10:42:37 PM   
Tristanjohn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

quote:

quote:

Must be a conspiracy! Quick, call the moderator! Oops, I am the moderator. Hmm, maybe I'm in on it

Still waiting for your Save 12/10/41 TJ

I replied yesterday and my email client said it went through okay. I'll try again.

< Message edited by Tristanjohn -- 5/12/2005 3:27:21 AM >

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 215
RE: Heavy Bomber Losses - 5/12/2005 12:13:31 AM   
Mr.Frag

No, you sent me 12/11/41 again

I now have 5 of them.

(in reply to Tristanjohn)
Post #: 216
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Heavy Bomber Losses Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI