Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than Star Wars

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than Star Wars Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than Sta... - 5/16/2005 6:30:35 PM   
Grotius

OK, this has almost nothing to do with WITP, except that I suspect that many fans of naval/air combat are also fans of "Star Wars." Anyway, today's NY Times has a very favorable review of "Star Wars Episode III - Revenge of the Sith." It's "by far the best film in the more recent rilgoy, and also the best of the four episodes Mr. Lucas has directed." Yes, "it's better than Star Wars."

The reviewer likes the story a lot, and says "the inverted chronology" of the six movies "turns out to be the most profound thing about the 'Star Wars' epic." The films "reveal the cyclical naturae of history." It is a "measure of the film's accomplishment" that the fall of Anakin is "genuinely upsetting, even if we are reminded that a measure of redemption lies over the horizon in "Return of the Jedi."

The reviewer doesn't say it's perfect. "Mr. Lucas's indifference to two fairly important aspects of moviemaking -- acting and writing -- is remarkable." The acting is uneven; Christensen and Portman may be better than in the previous movies but still lack the "range" required of their parts, but on the other hand Jackson, McGregor, Smits, Oz, and especially McDiarmid do a very good job. As for writing, Lucas "is not one to imply a theme if he can stuff it into a character's mouth." Still, the reviewer finds the dialogue and acting here much improved over the first two. And it's easy to forget that the acting in Star Wars itself wasn't always first-rate either. ("Have you been in many battles?" And remember the line about power converters.)

Anyway, a surprisingly enthusiastic review from a newspaper that's not easy to please. Sounds like a not-to-be-missed final installment of Star Wars. If indeed it is final.

< Message edited by Grotius -- 5/16/2005 6:31:31 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/16/2005 6:38:14 PM   
wild_Willie2

The first movie was real RUBBISCH.
JARJAR was really annoying and the movie was a bit of an anticlimax, (pod racing excluded). The second movie was much better than the first, and as far as I have seen the movie trailers of part 3, that will be great. “RISE, DARTH VADER”.

Going to see it with some mates on Thursday…….

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 2
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/16/2005 6:38:43 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Anyway, a surprisingly enthusiastic review from a newspaper that's not easy to please. Sounds like a not-to-be-missed final installment of Star Wars. If indeed it is final.

Originally, after Star Wars (the first movie, now episode 4) came out and was a success, Lucas said that it was to be a 9 part series, with episodes 7-9 talking about the eventual liberation of the robots, iirc (although i am not sure that was the main theme of the last 3). A friend made a big deal over the fact the only characters in all 9 episodes would be R2D2 and C3PO.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 3
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/16/2005 6:40:41 PM   
Mr.Frag

The saving grace to this one is that EVIL WINS!!!!

That alone is worth the price

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 4
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/16/2005 6:42:19 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

Finally!

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 5
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/16/2005 6:45:35 PM   
CapAndGown

quote:

That alone is worth the price

Does that mean the Japs can win in WitP too???

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 6
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/16/2005 6:47:38 PM   
Hartley

Yoda has just returned from a diplomatic mission to a planet inhabited by bipedal gorillas because, as he explains in the rounded tones of an opponent of the John Bolton nomination, "Good relations with the Wookiees I have."
Later, a defeated Yoda sighs: "Into exile I must go." You half-expect him to be followed by six other dwarves chanting, "Hi ho, hi ho / Into exile we will go . . . "

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/005/611ajqxt.asp

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 7
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/16/2005 6:52:41 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hartley

Yoda has just returned from a diplomatic mission to a planet inhabited by bipedal gorillas because, as he explains in the rounded tones of an opponent of the John Bolton nomination, "Good relations with the Wookiees I have."
Later, a defeated Yoda sighs: "Into exile I must go." You half-expect him to be followed by six other dwarves chanting, "Hi ho, hi ho / Into exile we will go . . . "

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Hartley)
Post #: 8
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/16/2005 6:58:45 PM   
DrewMatrix

To have a really good movie you need a really good Bad Guy. I have hopes this will be a really good movie.

Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 9
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/16/2005 6:59:18 PM   
Terminus

The best bad guys are fallen good guys.

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 10
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/16/2005 7:05:38 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

You half-expect him to be followed by six other dwarves chanting, "Hi ho, hi ho / Into exile we will go . . . "

You need warnings on posts like that "Put down your drink before reading further!"

(in reply to Hartley)
Post #: 11
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/16/2005 7:06:23 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

And he didn't need 4:1 odds to do it either......

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 12
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/16/2005 7:08:59 PM   
Speedysteve

Should be good from what i've seen. It will be good to see the bad guys win for once!

Annoyingly i'm on holiday from when it's released (this Thursday) for a week and a half!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 13
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/16/2005 7:10:00 PM   
Terminus

I'm giving myself a ticket for this film for my birthday. It's going to be sooooo excellent!

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 14
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/16/2005 7:11:39 PM   
Speedysteve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

quote:

Surely the film is biased then?

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 15
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/16/2005 7:12:38 PM   
Terminus

Nah, the film just wasn't programmed by 2BY3 and distributed by Matrix

Post #: 16
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/16/2005 7:14:41 PM   
CapAndGown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Speedy

quote:

quote:

Lucas is obviously a dark-side fanboy.

Post #: 17
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/16/2005 7:16:56 PM   
Speedysteve

Temrinus. Once more couldn't have said it better myself. To be more precise it hasn't been 'modified' by Frag

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 18
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/16/2005 7:18:08 PM   
Speedysteve

quote:

ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Speedy

quote:

quote:

Lucas is obviously a dark-side fanboy.

I think he gives Tie's a 60 year fighting bonus

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 19
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/16/2005 7:41:15 PM   
wild_Willie2

Luckily for the Jedi, the movie comes out under 1.5, fragments less than 15% can still rebuild into a full order. Had the movie come out under a later patch, BEY BEY JEDI ORDER

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

Post #: 20
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/16/2005 7:44:33 PM   
Iridium

I bet the writer of the article didn't even see the movie...

Sorry, your gonna have to get a second source to confirm what came from the NY Times...

Yamato, IMO the best looking Battleship.

"Hey, a packet of googly eyes! I'm so taking these." Hank Venture

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 21
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/16/2005 8:00:40 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iridium

I bet the writer of the article didn't even see the movie...

Sorry, your gonna have to get a second source to confirm what came from the NY Times...

Yeah, 60 Minutes will probably be featuring it...

(in reply to Iridium)
Post #: 22
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/16/2005 9:20:51 PM   
DrewMatrix

quote:

Newsweek perhaps?

Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 23
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/16/2005 9:22:29 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beezle

quote:

Newsweek perhaps?

I don't know weather to laugh or groan....

(in reply to DrewMatrix)
Post #: 24
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/17/2005 12:13:00 AM   
Lord_Calidor

Of course evil won! They didn't have to fight endless streams of respawning Death Stars and ISDs! Not to mention dissapearing deserting leaders!

(yes, sir Organa your royal highness, I don't know how, but Vader just appeared on our ship's bridge, just as Executor SSD bought the farm...)

But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 25
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/17/2005 12:41:15 AM   
BraveHome

Evil wins??

Just because a team is ahead at half-time doesn't mean they win the game....

"You may either win your peace or buy it: win it, by resistance to evil; buy it, by compromise with evil." (Ruskin)

(in reply to Lord_Calidor)
Post #: 26
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/17/2005 1:57:22 AM   
2Stepper

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

Originally, after Star Wars (the first movie, now episode 4) came out and was a success, Lucas said that it was to be a 9 part series, with episodes 7-9 talking about the eventual liberation of the robots, iirc (although i am not sure that was the main theme of the last 3). A friend made a big deal over the fact the only characters in all 9 episodes would be R2D2 and C3PO.

Actually that's "almost" spot on the facts.. "almost".

The original "intent" was for Lucas to have worked on Ep's 1-3 during the late 80's-early 90s while the cast from Ep 4-6 got a bit older. Once Eps 1-3 were done and released, he'd rejoin us with the cast of the first three movies in their new roles in the "New Republic" and the rebirth of the Jedi Knights and we'd get episodes 7-9 coming out now rather then the first trilogy.

In effect what Lucas did was he sold the book rights to the last three episodes to Timothy Zahn and other writers to fill in those story gaps. Primarily because 3 cast members swore up and down they'd have nothing more to do with another Star Wars movie. Alec Guiness, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fischer told Lucas to go fly a kite... Alec Guiness being the most vocal about it before he ultimately passed away.

SO that's the back-story on what ever happened to Episodes 7-9. You can find them, fractured that they are at your local book store. As for the first three we're seeing now? I've always loved the potential of them just like any other good bit of sci-fi, but I marvel at how awful Lucas is at directing young actors. Portman and Christianson are actually really good at what they do. Sad really, but I think all in all I'll enjoy the "completion" of this series. On one hand so I can see Lucas either quietly retire or just go back to doing special effects (something he's good at). And on the other hand so certain questions about how this story links to Episode 4 can be answered.

Things like... Will Padmae live, and if so, in what way does she become close to Bail Organa (played by Jimmy Smits)?

Or just as curiously, how does he explain away his one "gaff" he made by bringing the droids back to Luke's habitat on Tatooine in Episode 2? He acknowledged that was an opps he'd probably have to explain with a memory wipe or something...

That's just a few... Case you wondered, yes, I'm a Star Wars fan... Primarily though because I love how well Lucas built the story. That all along, the real bad guy wasn't Darth Vader, but that it was the Emperor and his machiavalian plans to rule the galaxy. Something he pulled of quite admirably...

Now he gets 30 plus years of ruling everything in sight and eating popcorn while his storm troopers take over the whole galaxy.

< Message edited by 2Stepper -- 5/17/2005 2:00:04 AM >

"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 27
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/17/2005 2:13:43 AM   
Bossy573

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius
The reviewer doesn't say it's perfect. "Mr. Lucas's indifference to two fairly important aspects of moviemaking -- acting and writing -- is remarkable."

Yeah, acting and writing sure can help. Imagine that, The Times critic so blown away by the spectacle of it all that he overlooks a sure fire way to grump his way to an "Eh....." review.

Anyway, I still can't wait to see this movie. Wait till the boss finds out why I wont be at work Friday........

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 28
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/23/2005 3:56:46 AM   
Grotius

Well, I saw and really enjoyed it. Not only was it hugely entertaining, but it was actually *troubling*, which is not something I expected from a Star Wars movie. This movie is actually about something -- how good becomes evil -- and while it doesn't completely succeed in answering that question, it makes a very spirited effort. Also, the acting and writing were noticeably better this time, even if Lucas still can't direct or write a romantic scene.

I thought it was the best Star Wars movie since "The Empire Strikes Back."

(in reply to Bossy573)
Post #: 29
RE: Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than... - 5/23/2005 4:03:47 AM   
DamoclesX

I have to say, I LOVED the 3rd one, some parts were awsome and it was a good movie.

I couldnt belive what he did in the temple, I didnt think lucas had the balls for something like that.

Great movie

Jason Blaz
Way to much to list here!

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Off-topic: NY Times says Episode III is better than Star Wars Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI