Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Need some advice on comp/human control

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Need some advice on comp/human control Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need some advice on comp/human control - 5/17/2005 8:25:44 PM   
qgaliana

I'm trying to get a feel for the game by only running one of the control zones and setting the rest on computer. I could use some advice on how best to manage without me and the AI stepping on each others toes.

In my specific case I'm just trying to run the Japanese campaign against China.

It doesn't seem that putting the West control zone on computer control and taking over some units works too well. I had several instances of units on human control getting their orders overriden. There seem to be some threads already about problems with this. But it's left me with a pile of South army and other LCUs to take care of in Hainan. I'm thinking of just tranporting these off to some computer zone (e.g. Indochina) to let the AI coordinate them with the rest of it's armies - does this make sense?

Similar vein, some units in China appear to get reassigned automatically to other HQs? I'm not sure I failed to notice the HQ before, or is there some scheduled (historical) transfer of units to other commands. In either case I imagine I would ship them out to Formosa or somesuch to give them back to the AI. But I'm struggling to find a quick way to ID units that aren't part of Chinese Exp. Force without checking hex by hex. I'm not sure I can pick out, say 16th army units, off the strategic map.

Generally I'm trying to keep my units and the AIs separate, and not weaken any of the computer commands unecessarily. Thanks for any advice, and apologies for being a wimp if I'm the only one using comp control

Oh, first post on this game forum - just thought I'd add this looks like a wonderful little game.
Post #: 1
RE: Need some advice on comp/human control - 5/17/2005 8:45:13 PM   
String

Computer control tends to cause bugs in game. It's better to learn by playing some of the smaller scenarios

(in reply to qgaliana)
Post #: 2
RE: Need some advice on comp/human control - 5/17/2005 10:26:57 PM   
Mike Solli

If I wanted to try what you are doing, I'd keep everything on human control and just ignore what you don't want to bother with.

(in reply to String)
Post #: 3
RE: Need some advice on comp/human control - 5/18/2005 6:09:09 AM   
qgaliana

Hehe - looks like comp control is not exactly widely used. I find it informative to see how the AI works on the campaign that I'm not managing.

String, what kind of bugs? Real crash type units dissapear etc bugs? Because I don't mind too much if it's just incompetent. But shouldn't it play similarly to the AI controlled opposite side?

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 4
RE: Need some advice on comp/human control - 5/18/2005 12:14:37 PM   
AmiralLaurent

If you want to test China, my advice would be to keep control of everything else and dock every ship, ground every plane to make the turns faster.

I tried once to play with a shared map between computer and me. I stopped after a game time week because the AI repeatly used PPs to return units to their original command after I had used PPs to change them first.

(in reply to qgaliana)
Post #: 5
RE: Need some advice on comp/human control - 5/18/2005 12:14:53 PM   
String

quote:

ORIGINAL: qgaliana

Hehe - looks like comp control is not exactly widely used. I find it informative to see how the AI works on the campaign that I'm not managing.

String, what kind of bugs? Real crash type units dissapear etc bugs? Because I don't mind too much if it's just incompetent. But shouldn't it play similarly to the AI controlled opposite side?

computer taking over human controlled units and giving stupid orders, forming up taskforces at human controlled ports etc.

(in reply to qgaliana)
Post #: 6
RE: Need some advice on comp/human control - 5/18/2005 10:05:42 PM   
Banquet

I think there can be problems when a computer TF goes into a human area and vice versa.

The first time I played the game I took control of just the British - Indian section and that did help get to grips with things, but it wasn't long before I started expanding the area's I controlled.

Even now I play with the Russia and China sectors in AI control because I don't have a proper grasp of the stategy in those area's and, although I can see the British, Commonwealth and US collaborating.. I'm not sure the Chinese would have been working so closely.

(in reply to String)
Post #: 7
RE: Need some advice on comp/human control - 5/19/2005 8:13:37 PM   
qgaliana

Well, I haven't really had any problems (other than self-inflicted) since I switched the whole West control zone to human control.

I just have to deal with the continuous chore of emptying Hainan of all those 25th army units. I'm a little curious at that geographic decision, as well as the port of Haiphong being in West control zone. Seems they would have fit better in the SW, the way the Japanese army/navy is deployed.

And a side question, if the AI can't find friendly units in a human control zones, can it see enemy units there?

(in reply to Banquet)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Need some advice on comp/human control Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI