Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Sept Month End

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> After Action Reports >> RE: Sept Month End Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sept Month End - 6/25/2005 8:53:57 PM   
Veer

02 -03 October 1942

Now behold the might of allied air power! Over two hundred allied bombers pound Cooktown into gristle. MUHAHAHAHA Soon all of Japan will tremble!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 10/02/42

Air attack on Cooktown , at 6,53

Allied aircraft
B-25D Mitchell x 31
B-26B Marauder x 102
B-17E Fortress x 62
B-24D Liberator x 10
A-20B Havoc x 12

no losses

Airbase hits 49
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 298

hehe.. I’m feeling evil.

< Message edited by Veer -- 7/5/2005 5:26:20 AM >

In time of war the first casualty is truth. - Boake Carter

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 91
RE: Sept Month End - 6/27/2005 10:17:17 PM   
Veer

October 04 1942

Well it seems that in my gloating of Allied air power I had forgotten about Japanese naval air power. Today the tables get turned as a Jap CV TF appears out of nowhere (NE of Nevea) and pounds my transport TF at Gavigamana . Just my luck I stood down all LRCAP today owing to thunderstorms . As a result of this Operation Knucke has been put on hold for the time being. The only bright spot was that the TF had almost finished unloading... Gav has 2 Seabees units, 1 base fore (60 AV support) and 1 AA unit.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 10/04/42

Weather: Thunderstorms

Air attack on TF, near Gavigamana at 51,47

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 47
D3A Val x 27
B5N Kate x 30

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A Val x 1 destroyed
B5N Kate x 3 destroyed

Allied Ships
AP Fuller, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
AV Tangier, Bomb hits 7, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage *** 90 sys, she's going down ***
AK Idomeneus, Torpedo hits 2, on fire
AK Adelong, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
SC 741, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage *** sunk ***
AK Lycaon, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AP Ormiston, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage *** 75 sys ***
AP William Ward Burrows, Bomb hits 3, on fire
AK Draco, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage *** 82 sys ***
AK Crater, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage *** 75 sys ***

The TF will retire to Lunganville. I'll try to save what I can.

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 92
RE: Sept Month End - 7/5/2005 7:51:42 AM   
Veer

October 05 1942

The convoy at Gavigamana slowly limps away. The Japanese carrier attempt no further attacks and disappear to the north. AV Tangier and AK Draco now have 99 sys damage and I fear they will sink next turn.
Meanwhile in SWPAC CVs Wasp and Enterprise abandon their berth at Rockhampton and are ordered to return to Noumea, bearing several marine squadrons in addition to their own complement.
Reconnaissance has meanwhile detected what seems to be the Japanese Emperor at Cooktown. Tomorrow 200 level bombers will fly over the base to make sure.

Recon image from Cooktown: (note Japanese landing-craft in the background)

October 06-07 1942

Now after 2 days straight of bombing by masses of allied aircraft the enemy situation at Cooktown and Cairns can’t be good . With the airfield a mess of craters, attention has been shifted to the docks.

--------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 10/06/42

Allied aircraft
B-25D Mitchell x 30
B-26B Marauder x 107
B-17E Fortress x 64
B-24D Liberator x 12
A-20B Havoc x 12
Hudson x 15
Beaufighter VIC x 17
Beaufort x 15

no losses

Port hits 15
Port fuel hits 8
Port supply hits 6

hehe...

Intelligence has intercepted a Japanese postcard from Cooktown. I think it speaks for itself.

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 93
RE: Sept Month End - 7/5/2005 9:25:46 AM   
Veer

October 8 – 10 1942

Daily bombing continues in N. Australia….

Meanwhile in SOPAC – today will be day long remembered! Not for any great feat of arms though, but today Emper…sorry, Admiral Nimitz decided to release the carriers Lex, Sara and Hornet to the South Pacific. Yeee!
The remnants of the Gavigamana convoy have made it back to Luganville (lvl 6 port). By some miracle these include the AV Tangier (99 sys, 90 flt) and AK Draco (83 sys, 82 flt). About 5 other ships have damage in the 50-70 range. And even though Operation Knuckle has been dealt a temporary setback, Gavigamana is now a level 3 airbase. With no sign of the Jap carriers, Operation Hammer continues and a large convoy carrying the 182nd RCT of the Americal Div, 3 Eng units and 1 base force begin unloading troops at Nevea beach. LRCAP is provided by 2 VMF squads from Gavigamana. Risky.

3rd Fleet has now been reorganized into 2 TFs-

TF 1 – Carrier Div 1 - CVs Enterprise and Hornet, supported by CV Wasp, Cruiser Div 3 - CAs Indianapolis and Pensacola, along with screen forces of 1 CL, 2 CLAA and 7 DDs
TF 2 – Carrier Div 2 – CVs Saratoga and Lexington, Battle Div 1 – BB Washington, CA Northampton and screen forces of 1 CL, 1 CLAA and 10 DDs.

Both TFs will operate out of Efate. But while all carriers can boast a full compliment of strike aircraft, the fleet is about 25-30 F4Fs short. With the replacement pool essentially at zero, high command has decided that the carrier forces will operate within the umbrella of land based air cover for now. The time is not yet to take on the KB.

Meanwhile CVE Long Island will take up shipping the Marine SBDs squadrons back to New Caledonia from Australia.

CVE Long Island – doing what she was meant to do!

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 94
Cooktown Crater - newly discovered! - 7/6/2005 4:53:20 AM   
Veer

October 11 – 15 1942

A quiet few days. SS Grayling takes up position between Munda and Shortlands where she sinks 6 barges in 3 nights, but loses a 40mm deck gun in the process. Many Jap APs are spotted in ‘The Slot’ either heading to or from Guadalcanal. Most allied submarines have been deployed to interdict this route. Though so far only several pot shots have been taken at a TK, AP and ML with no hits.

The Nevea convoy completes unloading without incident, but on its return to Luganville is hit by a flight of 8 Betty bombers. AP President Hayes and an APD are hit – though not badly. Nevea is now a level 2 airbase!

In Australia, the 3rd Aussie Division has finally reached Cairns, about a week behind schedule. Tomorrow they will launch an attack to evict the lone Jap Bde at the base. As a final hurrah Cooktown gets plastered by the 5th Air force one last time. On the 16th most of the bomber force will be stood down to allow the pilots to rest and have a few beers before being shipped to the ‘real war’ brewing in the East.

-----------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 10/13/42

Weather: Clear

Allied aircraft
B-25D Mitchell x 30
B-26B Marauder x 99
B-17E Fortress x 67
B-24D Liberator x 9
A-20B Havoc x 12

no losses

Japanese ground losses:
Men lost 1038
Guns lost 16

Airbase hits 22
Runway hits 212

I doubt anything will be flying from Cooktown anytime soon

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 95
RE: Cooktown Crater - newly discovered! - 7/6/2005 10:35:46 PM   
Veer

October 16 – 18 1942

The carriers of the 3rd Fleet make a small sortie northwards, after stopping at Luganville to refuel. On reaching a position near the Santa Cruz Islands they are spotted by the Japanese patrol boats – with one Mavis flying so close she can literally read the paint on the side of the Hornet and Saratoga. With operational surprise lost, and Japaneseve CVs spotted at Shortlands, the sortie is called off. Another 3 barges are sunk at Munda.

Meanwhile in Australia the Battle for Cairns begins, though results are far from satisfactory. In 3 days of attacks Maj.Gen. Savige’s troops makes little progress and the bombers from the 5th Fleet have to be called in to soften the defenses. The Allies take over 400 casualties for a similar amount of Japanese killed – this despite us having a 2-1 superiority in men. At least the 1st Aerodrome was taken, that will allow us to deploy some fighter craft to the base.

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 96
Rennell fennell - 7/7/2005 2:10:05 AM   
Veer

October 19 -20 1942

At Cairns the battle has developed into a mutual bombardment contest, with allied medium bombers attacking every afternoon. Allied command has resolved to evict the troublesome Jap rearguard once the troops have a chance to take in some draughts of beer and recover.

In the Solomons, SS Drum sinks 5 AGs in 2 nights, but also loses a deck AA gun in the process. SS Sailfish finds a lone Jap transport just off Tassafaronga and after chivalrously giving the crew 30 seconds to jump overboard into the dark shark infested waters, sinks the ship with a combination of shell fire and torpedoes.

Couple of troubling things though –
An Jap garrison unit has landed at Rennell – I am determined not to lose the island as it forms my only ‘eye’ into the Solomons, but also I had just fast transported the 808 EAB there yesterday inorder to build up the base prior to the reconquest of Irau (Allied HQ was mightly impressed at how quickly Nevea and Gav were built up). All PBYs are now tasked with flying reinforcements to the base pronto!

In conjunction, the Jap CVs have penetrated into the Coral sea, in their favorite position SE of Rossel. They may be trying to force a reaction from my carriers (near Efate), or could be covering the Jap transport TF spotted just SW of Gilli. Or this could be the start of an evacuation attempt form N Australia… we will see.

< Message edited by Veer -- 7/7/2005 2:12:53 AM >

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 97
Nowhere is safe - 7/7/2005 2:59:01 AM   
Veer

October 21 -22 1942

Japanese Betty bombers swoop in and massacre the mass of allied shipping at Noumea…
No CAP was flying as the weather men had promised thunderstorms and… this NOUMEA for Christ’s sake!! Seems nowhere is safe . Allied AA crew were too busy taking pictures of these strange beasts to heed orders to open fire.
5 transports sunk and many badly damaged. This loss of shipping will seriously retard attempts to establish a foothold at Irau…

------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Noumea at 52,67

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 49 *** + another 46 in the afternoon ***

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty x 1 destroyed *** 6 lost***
G4M1 Betty x 18 damaged

Allied Ships

TF1:
MSW Swallow
DMS Zane, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage ***48 sys***
DMS Trevor, Torpedo hits 1, on fire ***40 sys***
AK Celeno, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, ***sunk***
AP Feland, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, ***sunk***
AK Asphalion, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
AK Eridanus, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AP McCawley
AK Murzim, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
AK Mintaka, Torpedo hits 2, on fire
AP William P. Biddle, Torpedo hits 3, on fire ***sunk***
AK Albireo, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, ***sunk***
AK Barwon, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, ***sunk***

TF2:
MSW Toowoomba
AP George Clymer, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage ***89 sys***
AP American Legion, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage ***72 sys***

22 October 1942, Noumea: What curious birds

Not to mention that the troops at Rennell have been getting a regular pounding from Vals and Kates flying from Lunga. Supplies have dwindled to next-to-nothing and airfield construction is far slower than anticipated. The only good news is that enough ground troops were flown to hold the base for now. Though the Japanese can reinforce at will, so maybe it’s time to bid the island bye-bye .

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 98
RE: Nowhere is safe - 7/7/2005 5:03:06 AM   
Veer

October 23-25, 1942

In desperation Allied HQ orders a small force of Patrol Boats to Rennell to deter any Japanese attempt to reinforce their troops there. The result is a small surface battle – PT 123 is surprised and sunk by a team of Japanese destroyers, but PT 122 slips in between the shadows and torpedoes DD Suzukaze . The Japanese commander’s nerve breaks and he withdraws from the area at full speed.

PT 122: Pasting the Suzukaze

HQ is also scrapping together a small FT TF to pick up the 808 EAB from Rennell. The quartermaster has estimated it will take 2 months and 200 barrels of beer to build an airfield at the base and the Japanese don’t seem to co-operating in the allied efforts. EAB units are too precious at this stage to be lost!

The Long Range Bomber Force (LRBF – 80+ B-17s, 15 B-24s) has now been rebased to Noumea, awaiting deployment to Luganville. The problem however is that in my initial ignorance of SOPAC in favour of SWAPC in May, June & July means that Luganville doesn’t have enough supplies or a large enough airbase to sustain heavy bomber operations (only 5K supplies at base, and level 6 airfield). Oops.

At Cairns bombing, strafing and bombardment attacks continue, but despite all efforts the 228 Rgt refuses to be crushed! Tomorrow Maj.Gen Savige will order his troops to live up to his name and chase the Japanese back to Cooktown.

October 26, 1942

In a final attack at Cairns the Japanese (now less than 3,500 men) are firmly evicted from the base. Took long enough ! In a couple of days Eng units and Base Forces will be transported from Townsville to Cairns, which will then become the home of 5th Air Force.

LRBF launches its first attack at Lunga airfield. The result is pretty dismal… 4 B-17s are lost, with about 6 Japanese aircraft destroyed on the ground. Airfield damage is small however.

October 27, 1942

All contact is lost with SS-43 (my only remaining S-boat), last known to be tempting fate in ‘the slot’ by taking on a destroyer and a CA single handed. All flags to be flown at half mast for the brave boat.

A second attack by the LRBF creates more damage at Lunga, but for the loss of 4 more heavies and draining of Luganvilles last supplies. No more attacks to be lauched for the timebeing.

More PT boats are sent to Rennell.

October 28-30, 1942

Not much action these last few days, though lots of sighting and failed submarine attacks in the 'the slot'. The Japanese have made no further attempts to reinforce Rennell, but in a new tactic are using Alfs and Jakes to bomb my boats there.

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 99
Month end report - 7/8/2005 12:49:24 AM   
Veer

October 31 1942

No action today, but it’s time for another STAFF REPORT!

End of October 1942 stats:

Bases controlled:

..............| Jap : Allied
End Sept | 24 : 12
Oct 31 | 24 : 14(+2)

Aircraft Losses This Month:

Jap – 44 – 17 Bombers, 11 Fighters/FBs, 4 Dive Bombers, 2 Torpedo Bombers, 10 Misc

Allied – 40 – 23 Bombers, 7 Fighters/FBs, 1 Dive Bomber, 9 Misc

Aircraft Losses YTD:

Jap – 532 – 147 Bombers, 241 Fighters, 22 Dive Bombers, 14 Torpedo Bombers, 108 Misc

Allied – 1041 – 224 Bombers, 518 Fighters/FBs, 94 Dive Bombers, 26 Torpedo Bombers, 179 Misc

Ships confirmed sunk (this month):

Jap – 1 DD, 4 AP

Allied – 1 AV, 2 AP, 3 AK, 1 SS, 1 Aux

Ships confirmed sunk YTD:

Jap – 1 BB, 1 CA, 2 CL, 20 DD, 46 AP, 5 TK, 5 SS, 15 Aux
Total = 95

Allied – 1 CV, 6 CA, 2 CL, 15 DD, 1 AV, 7 AP, 12 AK, 5 SS, 18 Aux
Total = 67 (not counting PT boats)

Army Loss points YTD:

Allied : 332
Japan : 366

Allied Operational LBA in theatre: 974 (up 244)
At start of month: 730

Overall Score:

Japan | Allied
9206 | 4734

Difference: +4472

The Plan for November:

Australia:

Operation Strike is about to commence (2 weeks behind schedule), which will see the pounding of the Japanese force at Cooktown into dust. Plenty of ground troops are available but most will have to march a long way up the coast as I’m severely strapped for transports. As of now Australia has about 20K tons of lift capacity. Barely enough to transport a couple of divisions.

Central Solomon Sea:

Not much happening here, though I am tempted to establish a base at Rossell. For now subs will attempt to interdict the Japanese transport routes.

Southern Solomons:

Once again the lack of transports is putting a sever brake on operations and events are running about a week behind schedule. Nonetheless Nevea has a Lvl 3 Airbase with 9k supplies and Gav has a Lvl 3 airbase and port with 30K supplies. The plan (Operation Forge) is to fast-transport an Eng unit to Irau. And once an airfield is established - push a large re-supply convoy and base force to the island. This will allow the neutralization of Lunga – which is heavily populated by Jap planes. Hopefully we can have a Lvl 3 airbase at Irau by the middle of the month. A secondary operation will see supplies and more Eng units being transported to Rennell. 3rd Fleet will cover both operations.

< Message edited by Veer -- 7/8/2005 1:09:39 AM >

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 100
Your comments my AAR - 7/8/2005 10:49:29 AM   
Sergeant

Veer,
Thanks for the information about surface battles. Actually I do hold Basiliki Isl., with one 4" gun on it that I barrowed from somewhere.
But he must have figued out what I was doing - because instead of coming back with his raiding party - he sent a carrier group just to within range and struck a heavy blow to my surface group. Half the group is now running away. And based on your message about ending the turn in same hex - I thought it would occur if they simply passed through one another - I now fear the remaining half is in danger because it has given chase in hopes of catching him on surface. 3 of Yamato's gun mounts are gone but he still has the 14" guns.
My opponent is a Wizard... He seems to counter my every move in a way that leaves me holding short end of the stick!
I got the entire Luganville port surrounded by subs & still his fleet manages to get in & out without being fired on.
If I don't start scoring some hits on him soon - I may decide to surrender after all.
Oh well... such is the joy of playing against a live opponent instead of the AI. This is what I couldn't wait to do - I guess I better take my hits & press on, right?
Sergeant

(in reply to Veer)
Post #: 101
RE: Your comments my AAR - 7/19/2005 7:07:12 PM   
Miller

Veer, is the game still active?...I hope so as I have just started a game against Sneaky so need more insight into his tactics.....

(in reply to Sergeant)
Post #: 102
RE: Your comments my AAR - 10/9/2005 6:12:31 AM   
Sergeant

VEER
Well? Did you win or lose scenario 17 ???
I just started #17 as Allied player against my preveous opponent. Any strategy suggestions, Caution statements, or Hints?
We're just going into day 5 & I bagged one of his minelayers snooping around Woodlark. Am trying to isolate the island to keep it from being reinforced.
His Carrier group is already at Rabaul refueling or maybe just waiting for my counter invasion force. I have a feeling this scenario is going to get very vicious very early on...

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 103
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> After Action Reports >> RE: Sept Month End Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI