Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

TS - Julius Caeser: Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 problem

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar >> Tech Support >> TS - Julius Caeser: Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TS - Julius Caeser: Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 problem - 5/19/2005 11:56:13 PM   
emike

I purchased and downloaded the game Wednesday. When I tried to install the game I received the following error message:

"Setup has detected taht your MicrosoftnNET run=time files are out of date. In order for this game to work properly, .NET v1.1 is required. Click OK to install this technology now or Cancel to abort set up."

I clicked OK but after a few seconds I got the second error message:

"Error 1606. could not access network location %\USERPROFILE%\My Documents\".

Then I got the following message:

"Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 setup has ended prematurely. If this persists, please contact Product Support."

I have no idea what to do next. I have a rather high level Dell laptop which presently accomodates several elaborate games (Rome - Total War, Gary Grigsby's World at War, etc.). Please tell me what I need to do to get what I paid for.

Also, by the way, I called the order line and talked to a guy who said I would have to call tech support. He gave me the number 636-536-7345. When I called that number I got a recording telling me the number had been disconnected. I hope your compnany is more committed to and successful at customer service than what I have encountered so far.

Mike
Post #: 1
RE: TS - Julius Caeser: Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 pro... - 5/20/2005 7:02:13 PM   
Deride

Mike,

Sorry that you are having problems. TS:JC requires Microsoft .NET 1.1 to run. If you are having a problem using the .NET 1.1 installer, you can use Windows Update to do this for you as well.

To use Windows update, open Internet Explorer. From the Tools menu, select Windows Update. When the page loads, select Custom Install. You should see a listing for Microsoft .NET 1.1. Select that and install it. It may ask for you to reboot your machine during the process. Once it is installed, you should be good to go.

If you are still having problems, please post to these boards, send an email to support@matrixgames.com or support@koiosworks.com.

Thanks,
Deride

(in reply to emike)
Post #: 2
RE: TS - Julius Caeser: Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 pro... - 5/24/2005 8:08:28 PM   
emike

I tried to install Microsoft.NET 1.1. When I do the installation fails and I get the message "Error 1606. could not access network location %\USERPROFILE%\My Documents\". I have loaded dozens of games on my laptop and desktop machines without a problem. I have never even heard of this .NET program you require. If you are going to require obscure, difficult to use software I request you show some willingness to help your customers actually get what they paid for.

I am very unhappy so far with this purchase. I bought the game over a week ago and still cannot load it. On the phone I get the run aroung from people who are incapable of anything but taking orders and telling me that even though the product I purchased will not work "all sales are final".

To make this even more irritating when I received the disk in the mail and tried to load the game I got a message that said when I purchased the game I received a registration code which I would need to install the game. Of course I did not have that code available at the time I was trying to load the game from the disk (actually I do not have it anywhere) so I looked for it in the package you gave me. No code. I checked to see if the packing slip had the code. Nope. I looked for an email from Matrix which might have included the code. Nope. FANTASTIC! Apparently the only place this super spy code was offered was somewhere in the online billing procedure. If this were happening to someone else this would be hilarious - but it is not and I am very irritated. It might help if you would inform customers prior to them paying for your product that the game will be more difficult to load than cracking the NORAD defense system - and that when the customer asks for help the Matrix staff will do everything possible to appear indifferent and incompetent.

Please:
How do I find out what my security code is?
How do I accomodate your company's .NET 1.1 requirement?

Thanks,

Mike

(in reply to Deride)
Post #: 3
RE: TS - Julius Caeser: Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 pro... - 5/24/2005 8:25:08 PM   
Erik Rutins

Mike,

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience, let me clarify a few of the questions you had.

1. Anyone you spoke with on the phone was store support from Digital River, they are there only to make sure order issues are resolved (in other words: didn't download, didn't get serial number, payment issues, etc.). For technical issues you have to contact us. I haven't seen anything from you since your initial post which Russ replied to. You can post here or e-mail us at support@matrixgames.com and we'll work to resolve the issue with you. Unfortunately, we don't have the staff to do phone tech support so we have to handle things through e-mail/forum.

2. .NET is a Microsoft extension for Windows and many, many programs use it now including programs from Microsoft, video drivers, productivity applications, etc. It's true that you don't need it for everything but it's a recommended update on Microsoft's Windows Update site. We include it in the installer for folks who haven't updated. An installation issue with .NET usually indicates a problem with your installation of Windows - I hope not, but that's my concern. You are the only person we've had report any problem with the .NET installation because it is basically a Windows components that's designed by Microsoft to install without any issues. Did you try updating through Windows Update as Russ recommended? If you were missions some previous critical updates, perhaps getting those downloaded will help .NET proceed smoothly.

3. The serial number is provided in several places. First, on the order screen when you place your order. Second, an e-mail is sent confirming the order (a receipt, basically) with the serial number included. Third, it is available for look-up at any time through www.findmyorder.com if you lose it and we provide a backup for serial numbers through our Members' Area registration (but only once you've registered your game). If you can't find or didn't receive the e-mail (you should check to make sure a junk/spam filter, if you have one, didn't toss it away) please go to www.findmyorder.com and retrieve it there.

Let me know if any of this is helpful or if you need more help. Thanks, I hope we can get you up and running as soon as possible.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to emike)
Post #: 4
RE: TS - Julius Caeser: Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 pro... - 5/26/2005 10:30:39 AM   
e_barkmann

I would hazard a guess that the user, or someone who has access to the device, has accidentally removed/deleted the %\USERPROFILE%\My Documents\ directory - the install program stops because it can't find that directory.

%\USERPROFILE%\ would refer to the user name of the currently logged in user, eg my equivalent directory is C:\Documents and Settings\chrism\My Documents.

Note also that the user would have to have access to the serial number to proceed to the stage where problems occurred, so it must be *somewhere* local.

Cheers Chris

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Tin Soldiers: Julius Caesar >> Tech Support >> TS - Julius Caeser: Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI