Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Curious questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Curious questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Curious questions - 5/20/2005 2:00:21 PM   
Adman

Greetings

Some unrelated curious questions:

How successful can Japan be in the full war scenario's, (assuming great skill and luck etc); has anyone managed to "conquer the map", take india, australia etc ? Can one have even a glimmer of hope for this sort of victory (as Japan), or is the best that can be expected a points victory (which is not quite the same). Or has nobody actually finished the long scenario's yet ! (Can't tell from the AAR forum).

Will a game started in spooky's scanario, version 1.4, still run if the game is updated to 1.5 ?

Do land HQ's have any effect on combat beyond their range (2x their range for command HQ's)(within which they boost combat results) ? Is it important to keep the bases under a given HQ near to each other (as opposed to scattered over the map) and not too numerous ? I try to keep japanese HQ's in their historical areas roughly and spend pp's changing base HQ's but maybe the only actual HQ effect in the game is combat bonus as noted. Does it make a difference what objective you set for the HQ unit itself, even though it probably won't be in combat ?

Any comments appreciated.

cheers
Post #: 1
RE: Curious questions - 5/20/2005 2:41:10 PM   
pauk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adman

Greetings

Some unrelated curious questions:

How successful can Japan be in the full war scenario's, (assuming great skill and luck etc); has anyone managed to "conquer the map", take india, australia etc ? Can one have even a glimmer of hope for this sort of victory (as Japan), or is the best that can be expected a points victory (which is not quite the same). Or has nobody actually finished the long scenario's yet ! (Can't tell from the AAR forum).

You already answered your question. For "conquer the map" look at the PZB AAR (of course he did not conquer all the map, but he succeded to take India). IMHO, he is a brutal/great player, and his previous opponent is esteemed too, but he made some big mistakes.

There is one of two game in 44 or 45... seems that these games suffered from "fast operations" (game engine allow faster then historical operations, for Japan at the start of the game and later for Allies).

I'm pretty sure that skilled and cautious Allied player can not lose the game in a way you described. He shouldn't loose game on the points too...

(in reply to Adman)
Post #: 2
RE: Curious questions - 5/23/2005 3:22:57 AM   
Tom Hunter

quote:

How successful can Japan be in the full war scenario's, (assuming great skill and luck etc);

Successful beyond the wildest dreams of Japan in the real war. Remember the single greatest variable is not in the game, its in the players. If a real hotshot plays Japan against some one who is very poor playing Allies its not going to be pretty.

Beyond that there are certain mistakes any Allied player can make that go a long way to handing the game to the Japanese. PzB Vs. Wobbly shows one of them, putting too much in Burma and not enough in India, and there are others, most commonly getting surrounded in China or playing overly aggresive with the US CVs in the early months of the war.

I am a very aggresive Allied player, but I am also careful, I don't think its the agressiveness of the Allied players that sometimes leads them to defeat, I think its the failure to understand their own capabilities. Then they risk too much for a payoff too small and get killed.

(in reply to Adman)
Post #: 3
RE: Curious questions - 5/23/2005 4:42:06 AM   
Nomad

And of course some of us Allied Players get caught with our pants down.

(in reply to Tom Hunter)
Post #: 4
RE: Curious questions - 5/23/2005 5:38:23 AM   
ADavidB

quote:

How successful can Japan be in the full war scenario's, (assuming great skill and luck etc); has anyone managed to "conquer the map", take india, australia etc ? Can one have even a glimmer of hope for this sort of victory (as Japan), or is the best that can be expected a points victory (which is not quite the same). Or has nobody actually finished the long scenario's yet !

In addition to reading the PzB vs Wobbly AAR (along with my extention of the fight) to see about India, you ought to read the "Zeta vs WITP Dude - Hirohito Style AAR" which will give you an idea of what the Japanese player can do while attacking in the opposite direction.

In my extention of PzB's game against Wobbly, PzB has deliberately not attacked in China nor Soviet East Asia since he finished his Indian campaign. He has also decided to keep garrisons in many key places in India. If he had attacked elsewhere in Asia with the same aggressiveness that he showed in India and pulled out most of his troops out of India I believe that he could have conquered most of China and Siberia and would be well over a 4:1 point margin right now. (Currently he is just under it.)

So my feeling is that a skilled, aggressive Japanese player can win the game if he doesn't deliberately limit himself, grabs key areas such as India early on in the game, and doesn't lose key warships to ambushes or poor planning.

Dave Baranyi

(in reply to Adman)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Curious questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI