Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Terrain Advantages & Weather

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Terrain Advantages & Weather Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Terrain Advantages & Weather - 5/29/2005 4:05:52 AM   
CushVA

Just wondering what types of advantages the different types of terrains give to the units (as in attack / defense bonuses)?

Also, what kind of impact does weather have? I assume that it can slow you down or cut down on visibillty, but does if effect the weapons themselves? (I don't know a lot about the weapons of the era, so I'm not sure how much impact rain and all would have on them)

< Message edited by Cush -- 5/29/2005 4:06:52 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Terrain Advantages & Weather - 5/30/2005 7:15:11 AM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cush

Just wondering what types of advantages the different types of terrains give to the units (as in attack / defense bonuses)?

Also, what kind of impact does weather have? I assume that it can slow you down or cut down on visibillty, but does if effect the weapons themselves? (I don't know a lot about the weapons of the era, so I'm not sure how much impact rain and all would have on them)

Hi Cush,

Thanks for the question.

In detailed combat, attacking into or out-of rough terrain is a penalty to the attack, anywhere from 10-50% depending on terrain type and perhaps unit type (cumulative for attacking rough terrain from rough terrain.) Some terrain types are a vulnerability, units in them are more vulnerable to attacks: ice, for instance, and also mud and swamps in some situations. Attacking up heights is a penalty; attacking down is a small bonus. Artillery are at a large penalty whenever firing at a target at a different height. Skirmishing units and also guerilla units avoid some of the terrain penalties. Can't make a charge attack across rivers (except at fords or bridges, or in the winter).

Terrain also can prevent the exertion of zones-of-control. ZOC's are not exerted across rivers, nor up and down heights. Similarly, flanking bonuses are not accrued up and down heights, nor across rivers. (In COG, if a unit attacks an enemy and another friendly unit is adjacent to that enemy and facing it, then the adjacent facing friendly unit provides a bonus -- about 16% -- to the attacking unit. The bonus increases if the two units are in the same corps, if their controlling nation has the Flanking Tactics upgrade, or if there are three flanking units that together comprise combined arms. Units are not considered flanking when they are at different heights, nor across unfrozen rivers.)

Weather affects visibility range, attacks/charges, and also things like chance to change formation and command-and-control checks. Also, infantry squares are easier for cavalry to break in the rain.

In quick combat, weather affects combat values abstractly, by attacking/defending region and by unit-vs-unit. (For instance, cavalry attacking infantry in the "defend" zone of quick combat have a much improved chance of attacking during the rain.)

On the strategic map, weather affects movement checks, and rough weather can destroy supply depots outside of home territory. Weather also can lower income in provinces temporarily.

We have graphics for rain, snow, and fog. The full list of weather types is flood, ice, rain, heavy rain, snow, heavy snow, and storms.

Cannonballs did most of their damage while skipping along the ground, much as a rock skips across the surface of a pond. After a heavy rain, the ground became soft and cannonballs would sink into the ground rather than skip. This reduced the efficacy of artillery at longer ranges. At shorter ranges, artillery fired cannister shot, much like a shotgun blast, and rain doesn't affect this much, though it was more difficult to light artillery during a heavy rain.

Eric

(in reply to CushVA)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Terrain Advantages & Weather Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI