Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Beginnner questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Beginnner questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Beginnner questions - 5/31/2005 4:23:25 AM   
asd123321

1 With Command and Control on, I put out an objective flag for B0 and nothing moved. Why?
I am also suspicious there may be some tricks involved that if not done will leave no
or ineffective combat. Is C and C mainly for moving, not combat?
2 Does B0 have to be within 3 hexes of A0 or what does the distance 3 apply to?
3 If Opportunity Fire Confirm is set to 0, does it automatically shoot? That is what I want without having to answer the question.
Post #: 1
RE: Beginnner questions - 6/3/2005 4:23:33 PM   
KNomad

quote:

1) With Command and Control on, I put out an objective flag for B0 and nothing moved. Why? I am also suspicious there may be some tricks involved that if not done will leave no or ineffective combat. Is C and C mainly for moving, not combat?

Objective flags only designate which area of the map a unit is ordered to move to. Any movement (by a non-Recon unit) not towards it's objective uses up orders. Careful planning is required when calling in artillery strikes, as this uses up available orders. Also, when a unit's stance is changed to Defend (which also uses up orders), they seek better cover and have improved OP Fire opportunities.

quote:

2) Does B0 have to be within 3 hexes of A0 or what does the distance 3 apply to?

Units within 5 hexes of the HQ gain Moral & Rallying bonuses. Units within 3 hexes of their commanding superior are said to be in Visual Contact, and do not have to rely on their radios to rally/receive orders.

quote:

3) If Opportunity Fire Confirm is set to 0, does it automatically shoot? That is what I want, without having to answer the question.

Yes. It is also useful to set a units firing range manually under this setting to keep a unit from giving up its position too early by firing at ineffective weapons range.

The gnome zaps a wand of death. (Nethack)
Don't get hurt! (XCOM: Apocolypse)
Incoming firepower has the Right of Way!
Fire at Will (or Wesley)!

(in reply to asd123321)
Post #: 2
RE: Beginnner questions - 6/3/2005 4:23:41 PM   
Major Destruction

Firstly, you must set your preferences so that command control (C&C) is ON.

Then you set an objective flag for B0.

If B0 is a recon unit, it does not need to be 'ordered' to set an objective. Recon units (generally all company commanders are recon units) are free to roam wherever they wish and company commanders do not need to order themselves to move.

Once you set the objective for a formation, be sure that all members of the formation have 'heard' the order. some squads may be out of range and will need to either get closer to the platoon commander, or wait a turn before the virtual runner reaches it. The distance 3 refers to 3 hexes or about 150 yards. This would be the maximum distance that a unit might be able to receive orders by voice, flags or hand motions. Outside that range, a unit with no radio is out of contact.

Now, all your formation will be able to move towards that objective. You still have to actually move the units during your turn, they do not move automatically.

C & C is mainly for movement. I find that it helps me to keep my platoons together as a cohesive force and prevents units dashing off all over the place with no supporting fire. You also need to expend orders if you wish to find cover otherwise the game models your units as 'moving' or otherwise open to the enemy fire.

If Opfire is set to 0, the units will opfire automatically according to the AI routines.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to asd123321)
Post #: 3
RE: Beginnner questions - 6/4/2005 5:48:34 AM   
asd123321

Thanks. I have some questions on these statements.

Now, all your formation will be able to move towards that objective. You still have to actually move the units during your turn, they do not move automatically.

What do mean, will be able to move and what good is it if I have to still move them
individually? Most of these scenarios have way too many.

C & C is mainly for movement. I find that it helps me to keep my platoons together as a cohesive force and prevents units dashing off all over the place with no supporting fire.

Why would this be?

(in reply to Major Destruction)
Post #: 4
RE: Beginnner questions - 6/4/2005 11:30:27 PM   
KNomad

With C&C set to OFF in the Preferences - any unit can move anywhere at anytime.
Most people play this way as this is classic boardgame-style movement.

quote:

What do you mean, will be able to move? And what good is it if I have to still move them individually? Most of these scenarios have way too many pieces.

With C&C set ON, a units "happy place" is when it's Stance is set to Defend. It has better Op Fire ability and can seek better cover in the hex it's in. However, it may not move from it's hex.

To get that unit to move, it's Stance must be set to Advance. This costs the units commander 1 order. Commanders can also order it's entire formation to change stance for a cost of only 3 orders.

Now that the unit/formation can move, it needs to know where to go. Commanders must spend 3 orders to set the formations Objective. Every unit in the formation is then expected to move toward that objective hex when it moves.

Once a unit/formation has reached its new objective, it probably would like to get back to its "happy place" and change its stance back to Defend, costing the commander yet more orders.

quote:

C & C is mainly for movement. I find that it helps me to keep my platoons together as a cohesive force and prevents units dashing off all over the place with no supporting fire.

Why would this be?

If a unit doesn't move directly toward it's objective, it costs the commander 1 order, or 2 orders if the unit only has Radio Contact. A unit relying on radio contact occasionally finds itself Out Of Contact and unable perform actions which requiring orders.

To lesson the chances of units being out of contact, keep them with Visual Contact (3 hexes) of their commander. And if I'm not mistaken LOS does play a part in this too, so the only way to gaurantee being in contact with your commander is to be in the same or adjacent hex.

If a unit is out of contact or there are no orders available, all a unit can do is move toward it's objective. This is why formations tend to stay together.

Note that while Recon units expend orders to change stance, they can move anywhere at anytime without expending orders.

quote:

What good is it if I have to still move them individually? Most of these scenarios have way too many pieces.

There are two ways to automate the moving of your pieces. One is to select a commander and toggle All Formation mode (A key). The entire formation will follow that commander when it moves. Another is to go to the Headquarters (H key) menu and put formations under computer control, setting waypoints for their movement. Use carefully, they're a great way to walk into an ambush.

The gnome zaps a wand of death. (Nethack)
Don't get hurt! (XCOM: Apocolypse)
Incoming firepower has the Right of Way!
Fire at Will (or Wesley)!

(in reply to asd123321)
Post #: 5
RE: Beginnner questions - 6/7/2005 6:55:00 AM   
Major Destruction

quote:

ORIGINAL: asd123321

What do mean, will be able to move and what good is it if I have to still move them
individually? Most of these scenarios have way too many.

Indeed.

I am an avid advocate for playing with command control set to ON. however, when playing against the AI I like a fast, fun game and therefore I play with command control OFF.

Against a human opponent, command control can be a great equalizer. Just try to command a large force of Italians against a small British force in 1941 with command control ON. It provides a challenge that takes a lot of skill and patience.

(in reply to asd123321)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Beginnner questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI