Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

**New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available**

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
**New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/8/2005 1:00:36 AM   
Warfare1

The Download Link Works

As promised here are the new graphics for Civ2 MGE. A Readme is included with the zip file on how to install the new graphics. It's very easy.

They are for the default (long) game.

Here are just a few of the changes (v1.1):

* All new units - altered the units file slightly
* New cities
* New improvement and wonder icons
* New fight and rebellion graphics
* New terrain, mountain and resource graphics
* Goody huts have been replaced by an ancient stone pyramid and labelled "Lost City"

In short almost everything has been changed!

Download the new graphics below (302kb zipped)

(Click on the link below, when the page loads scroll down and click "Free", wait while the page loads, then scroll down, wait a few seconds, and the zip file will appear for download):

http://rapidshare.de/files/6232797/New_Civ_2_Graphics.zip.html

Preview of the NEW Units:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 10/13/2005 6:34:57 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/8/2005 1:08:25 AM   
rhondabrwn

Got it!

THANKS!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 2
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/8/2005 1:17:14 AM   
Warfare1

My pleasure

Have fun!

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 6/8/2005 1:18:57 AM >

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 3
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/8/2005 1:29:10 AM   
Warfare1

A word on the units I chose:

In selecting the units I wanted, I tried to be as international as possible. So you will find the German Teutonic Crusader, the Spanish Knight, the French Infantry, the American Cavalry officer, the Roman Legion, the British Sherman, the Egyptian chariot, the Russian partisan, etc.

After I chose these units, I added my own modifications to those units I felt needed some tweaking.

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 4
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/8/2005 1:33:55 AM   
Warfare1

When you tire of playing the long game and wish to play some scenarios, then here is a website below that contains HUNDREDS of Civ2 scenarios (from the ancient period to the future plus fantasy and Sci Fi):

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2/downloads/

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 5
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/8/2005 1:37:49 AM   
Warfare1

Here is another website that contains some of the very best Civ2 scenarios that can be found on the internet.

After you click on the link below, go to the navigation bar under Civ2, click on "Bestonet" and then select your time period:

http://spanish.apolyton.net/navigation.shtml

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 6
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/8/2005 3:27:20 AM   
ravinhood

Thanks man, the graphics are really nice. Got me to play into 900ad already with them. lol Playing CIV II after playing CIV III is soooooo much different having to get used to shields being the value of units instead of money. It has really come a long ways in 15 years and amazing still holds its play value and fun and entertainment value and still has that "just one more turn" aspect to it. Lol I had to force myself to quit just now so I could post a thank you for the graphics. Good Job. ;)

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 7
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/8/2005 4:28:23 AM   
Warfare1

Glad you like them. Really makes it into a "newer" game, eh? Amazing what some some better graphics can do...

After playing Civ III, I went back to Civ2. I dunno, I just kinda find Civ2 better to play. Plus Civ2 is extremely modible. I tinker around with the game, the graphics, etc all the time...

It's always a blast to play.

And check out some of the great scenarios that are available. There's some great stuff from almost any historical time period.

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 6/8/2005 4:29:32 AM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 8
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/8/2005 4:04:42 PM   
Warfare1

Here's an example of some great fantasy units that are currently being done for Civ2 ToT:

http://users.tpg.com.au/jpwbeest/jp_units.htm

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 9
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/8/2005 5:04:16 PM   
Erik Rutins

Thanks!

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 10
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/8/2005 5:39:05 PM   
Warfare1

You're very welcome, Erik.

Have fun!

There's still some life left in those little pixels - heheh.

I still enjoy seeing those Wonder movies and advisors (Elvis has been spotted), something Civ III doesn't have...

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 11
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/8/2005 7:46:41 PM   
ravinhood

I enjoy the lying ruthless AI in CIV II. Heh, that russian biatch has lied to me 3 times now about "peace". I give it to her and she builds up a couple of units or 3 and then attacks me again. Heh, I have an army of elephants and Legion units now though, she loses 2 units and she's on her knees again (heh on her knees) begging for peace. An I GIVE IT TO HER! lol Plus she PAYS ME for the opportunity 200gps lol.

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 12
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/8/2005 9:41:23 PM   
Warfare1

heheh

The AI is much more ruthless in MGE.

Don't trust the AI factions! They lie, they cheat, they steal, they attack without warning.

I am currently locked in a war with the Zulus. I thought I could trust them... But oh, how wrong I was...

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 13
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/12/2005 12:09:02 AM   
Warfare1

If anyone is looking to play a Civ2 WWII scenario, then I highly recommend playing Colwyn's Red Front v1.5.

In this scenario you play as Russia at the beginning of Germany's Barbarossa Campaign on June 22, 1941.

It is a tough campaign and will test your command abilities. The AI and gameplay have been specially tweaked to make it a real challenge to play.

Will you be able to withstand the onslaught of the mighty German Army? Will you be able to find an effective strategy to counter German Blitzkrieg? Will you be able to survive those crucial first years of war, build up your economy and military, and then wage a successful counterattack to retake those lost lands of Mother Russia?

Will you be able to stop German forces from taking Leningrad, Stalingrad and Moscow?

Will you be able to stop the enemy in your homeland, and then take the fight back into Germany itself, with Berlin as your prize?

Download the scenario below (be sure to read the readme and follow the instructions for setting up the scenario):

It's called Red Front v1.5 by Colwyn (scroll down the page):

http://spanish.apolyton.net/civ2/bestonet/scenxx.html

Attachment (3)

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 6/12/2005 12:29:33 AM >

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 14
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/13/2005 9:19:40 AM   
Home40

Why are you playing / modding Civ 2 ? Is Civ 3 so unplayably buggy? ;)

H40 [fortified whine]

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 15
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/13/2005 9:08:56 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Home40

Why are you playing / modding Civ 2 ? Is Civ 3 so unplayably buggy? ;)

H40 [fortified whine]

I have Civ3 and it has its moments.

But it just didn't grab me the way Civ2 MGE always has.

I find Civ2 very moddable in every way, plus I prefer its style of play. In addition, there are a ton of excellent scenarios worth playing.

It all depends on a person's taste and style.

I prefer Civ2 along with Heroes of Might & Magic III.

Other gamers' mileage may vary...

(in reply to Home40)
Post #: 16
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/14/2005 5:27:36 AM   
ravinhood

I agree with WarfareI, I have all the Civilizations, but, prefer CIV II MGE over all, it's more challenging in the AI department and you can actually spy and use your own diplomats instead of using that abstract worthless spying/diplomatic system in CIV III.
Plus there are literally 1000's of great mods for CIV II, I like playing MOMjr. (Masters of Magic). The resolution of the graphics are dated of course, but, the gameplay and fun/entertainment factor is still in the high 90's for me.

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 17
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/14/2005 12:35:06 PM   
Warfare1

And after all these years I still haven't played all the scenarios I want to play in Civ2.

And people are still making excellent scenarios with cutting-edge graphics (well as cutting edge as 256 colours can get you - heh).

When I load up a good scenario it's like getting a new game to play

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 18
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/14/2005 4:16:00 PM   
Lebatron

What about Alpha Centari? Is that one not the BEST of them. CIV2 was great but Alpha is even better. Plus has more modern graphics. If you don't like the sci-fi aspect could it be modded into regular CIV. Thus replacing CIV2 as the preferred program to use?

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 19
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/14/2005 4:28:44 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lebatron

What about Alpha Centari? Is that one not the BEST of them. CIV2 was great but Alpha is even better. Plus has more modern graphics. If you don't like the sci-fi aspect could it be modded into regular CIV. Thus replacing CIV2 as the preferred program to use?

I enjoy Alpha Centauri. The diplomacy is the best aspect of it, plus the "laptop" look of the interface is eye-catching.

Some of the graphics (terrain-wise) could use some improvements.

But overall I enjoy AC alot.

I don't think it has to be an "either/or" situation. You can own both (AC and Civ2) and enjoy both.

Although, while AC is limited to its scifi approach; Civ2 scenarios can be selected from any time in history including Scifi scenarios.

So I think Civ2 is much, much broader in scope than AC, and as such, it has so much more to give in terms of playability.

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 20
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/14/2005 10:14:02 PM   
ravinhood

AC rates a 90 as well. It's its own game type and style, though using the Civilization engine, I like the way it allows you to play it so many different ways. Like the unknown advancement through the tech trees, you pick an area instead of a specific tech, this adds lots of randomness to the game along with the excellent diplomacy and the excellent ability to design your own troups and vehicles (love this part the most).

Might just as well add "Master of Magic" which also uses the Civilization engine in a fantasy setting, even after all these years nothing has come along with the depth and randomness and enjoyement of MOM. Not even HOMM or Age of Wonders can touch it's excellent design, the AI could use some help, but, heh, have you played the latest AOW:SM edition that AI needs a LOT of help, worst AI in a fantasy game I've seen in awhile. And of the HOMM series I still like II the best, you could adjust the AI in that game from easy to extremely hard, the HOMM III AI did not have this feature where you could adjust EACH AI individually. Just like in AOW origional, it was the best of it's series because you could give the AI different "traits" where in the latest models they all have one type of personality and it's really stupid at that.

It really has never seemed to fail over the years of sequels to most games even with the Civilization series, HOMM, Age of Wonders and many of the rest of the other games out there, when they try to add MORE FLUFF, they end up screwing up the game that many came to love and enjoy. MOO III was a disaster. HOMM IV wasn't impressive, AOW:SM is dull and boring (graphics are great though lol), Civilization III isn't as entertaining as CIV II. Personally I think sequels should stop at II, I haven't seen many that were better after sequel II, just milking the donkey after that is mostly what I see. I will say that Warlords III was my favorite of that series (A III that was actually pretty good), but, Warlords IV suks.

Funny though, I'd really think I'd like to see a DIABLO III, I've enjoyed both series of that game, I think because it's simple to play, and is an excellent hack n slash with a bunch of neat stuff to build your character up with from traits to specialized loot which I don't think anyone would see it all in a lifetime. Something I would wish for out of a Diablo III would be more "random maps" along with random monsters, sort of an almost never ending world of random maps and creatures and a random level boss every so many levels of experience and you don't get to Diablo until you reach level 99 this time around. heh But, the ending would need to be spectacular for that kind of effort, really something inline with the ending of Dungeon Siege, I was astounded by the ending of Dungeon Siege, never expected it and it was the grandest finale of any rpg I've ever played. If you've never seen the end of Dungeon Siege you really should get that game (probably really cheap now) and experience it. :)

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 21
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/15/2005 12:18:20 AM   
Warfare1

ravinhood:

I certainly agree with your comments.

The diplomacy with the AI players in Alpha Centauri sometimes made you feel like you were actually dealing with real people... Some of those AI characters were pretty crafty... you never really knew what they were up to... heh

As to games in general:

It's almost as if a game series reaches a game design and version that is good, functional and enjoyable, but beyond which (in later versions), loses a great deal that made the earlier versions fun, playable, and entertaining.

In addition to those games you mentioned above, I could also add Warcraft. I still enjoy playing Warcraft II. The graphics aren't top-notch, but there is a real charm and character and playability in the game that seems to be lost in Warcraft III (with 3D).

Same with Panzer General II. Here is a game that could have had it all, if only SSI had improved upon this version of the game. I love the maps, units, battles, etc. Pity, that there is no game currently being made that is similar to PG2. I would like to see an improved PG2 which has bigger maps, a strategy map, naval warfare (like Pacific General), and an event system (like Civ2), etc...

And I still prefer the 2D art in The Age of kings over the 3D stuff that is all the rage... The 2D looked so natural...

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 6/15/2005 12:23:41 AM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 22
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/19/2005 10:51:01 AM   
Home40

Actually, to answer my own question - the game's a classic and virtually bug-free as far as I can tell.

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 23
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/20/2005 7:06:18 AM   
rhondabrwn

I also agree completely with Ravinhood's comments.

I just can't get in to CIV III - nothing specific, just the "feel" seems less crisp to me and the extra animation just bogs things down further. After hundreds and hundreds of hours in CIV II, I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface of the game's potential. Discovering all of the improved graphics and scenarios out there to be downloaded, just totally revitalized it for me once again.

It's all about the game, not the eye candy. Which is why Operational Art of War and similar games of that era continue to have a following. I actually find the flashy graphics in KP and BiN to be rather distracting. My most memorable computer wargaming experiences continue to be the old Talonsoft Battleground series plus Operational Art of War scenarios. The sun has risen many a morning on an all-night Gettysburg campaign as a sleepless mom made sure my boys were up to catch the school bus. Civ II is in the same category of time-suspending fascination.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Home40)
Post #: 24
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/21/2005 5:27:04 AM   
Warfare1

PC Gamer magazine in 2005 rated Civ 2 the third most popular game in history.

It has to be one of the most versatile games ever created. A person can create a WWII scenario, then turn arund and make a RPG scenario set in a fantasy world.

I think there is a reason why Strategic Command 2 looks a lot like Civ 2 graphically. In addition SC2 is using almost the same type of event system.

Speaking of fantasy scenarios. Here is a link to a Lord of the Rings Trilogy set of Civ 2 scenarios by Favoured Flight. These three scenarios have become a true classic.

Journey to the land of Moria and Kaza-Doom...

Download them here:

http://www.favfly.fsworld.co.uk/addons.html

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 6/21/2005 5:29:56 AM >

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 25
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/21/2005 6:17:08 AM   
SeaMonkey

So Warfare what can you tell about the Civ2 event engine?

I am an avid player and scenario designer of SC and would appreciate an "heads up" on the configuration.

Actually, I was hoping it would be like Norm's TOAW.

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 26
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/21/2005 3:46:20 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: SeaMonkey

So Warfare what can you tell about the Civ2 event engine?

I am an avid player and scenario designer of SC and would appreciate an "heads up" on the configuration.

Actually, I was hoping it would be like Norm's TOAW.

In addition to working on the graphics for Civ2, I have also been studying the event system within the game engine.

It is a simple Macro language that is extremely powerful. In many ways it is far more powerful and versatile than that in TOAW. This type of event system can be used quite well for making up for most deficiencies in the actions of the AI.

Sid Meier broke the mold with this very simple, but effective event system that seems capable of almost anything. This simple system does not seem to have been improved upon almost 9 years later.

When I first heard that SC2 was going to have an event system similar to Civ2 I was very happy. For the first time wargamers are going to have a very good way to design scenarios that will allow for some truly unique ideas and tough challenges.

Since I have learned to use the Civ2 event system I can take almost any scenario created by others and make it as tough as I want in single player. Time and time again I have been beaten by the AI!

An example of the way this event system can be used is found in the Civ2 scenario Red Front v1.5 by Colwyn, which can be downloaded in one of the above posts. In single player it is an extremely tough and challenging scenario.

As for the Civ2 event system itself:

Not only will the event system within Civ2 allow for triggering certain dates and text to popup, but it will also allow for determining diplomacy between civs, having random and fixed units appear whenever the scenario designer wants, having terrain change, having civs disappear, have new music play during the scenario, creating units during the scenario, having unique units appear, having the taking of cities trigger certain events (such as historical events or allow for the introduction of money, units, etc for a particular civ), etc, etc...

The possibilities are almost limitless...

What this means for wargamers is that scenario designers in SC2 will have at their finger-tips an extremeley unique and challenging event system that will provide for truly unique and endless replayability that will provide that tough challenge we all want in single player.

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 6/21/2005 4:17:23 PM >

(in reply to SeaMonkey)
Post #: 27
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/21/2005 10:57:47 PM   
SeaMonkey

Sounds exciting, thanks Warfare.

Now about that SC2 event engine, where did you here it would resemble the one in Civ2?

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 28
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/22/2005 12:06:37 AM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: SeaMonkey

Sounds exciting, thanks Warfare.

Now about that SC2 event engine, where did you here it would resemble the one in Civ2?

This was always my impression based on comments by Hubert a long time ago at the Battlefront forums. He mentioned that there would be scripts and events that could be opened in notepad (same as in Civ2) and these could be modified. His plan was to have a very open, modible game system.

It has been quite some time since we have heard any real info about all of this, and things change, so it is anyone's guess as to the extent it will resemble Civ2's event system.

I am hoping for the best, but please don't accept my impressions as being written in stone

My impression is that SC2 will not only resemble Civ2 in appearance, but that it will be just as modifiable.

From the SC2 FAQ:

quote:

Can I create my own custom campaigns, and/or worlds with the SC2 Editor?

Yes, in fact, the exact same editor has been used to build all the default campaigns for SC2. In general, there may exist some natural limitations tied to the game engine, after all it has to at least make sense for a WWII grand strategy game, but other than that the only limitation really is your imagination. With the editor you will be able to change unit and country names, edit unit combat values, create custom alliances, custom maps, set weather zones, edit terrain, resource and unit placements, customize research and diplomacy rules per country, edit/create any number of scripts that can control specialty items like convoys, lend-lease, annexation and surrender rules and much, much more. The sky really is the limit!

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 6/22/2005 12:16:00 AM >

(in reply to SeaMonkey)
Post #: 29
RE: **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** - 6/26/2005 8:34:20 PM   
Warfare1

Here's a thread showing players returning to playing Civ2:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=115078&page=1&pp=20

Here is another extremely useful thread with lots of tips for playing Civ2:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=96725

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> **New Civ2 MGE Graphics Now Available** Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI