Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Gene Roddenberry...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Gene Roddenberry... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gene Roddenberry... - 6/18/2005 1:36:58 AM   
rogueusmc

He was a B-17 pilot in the South Pacific in WWII. He flew 89 missions over Guadalcanal, Bouganville and Munda. Awarded the Distiguished Flying Cross and the Air Medal.

Anyone know what squadron?

After the war, he was a crash investigator for the Air Force.

< Message edited by rogueusmc -- 6/18/2005 1:37:10 AM >

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Post #: 1
RE: Gene Roddenberry... - 6/18/2005 1:52:49 AM   
Tankerace

Wow, I never knew that, that's cool. Maybe that's why I am into military history and Star Trek. Star Trek TOS that is, not DS9 and Voyager...

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 2
RE: Gene Roddenberry... - 6/18/2005 3:05:58 AM   
Feinder

Some interesting tidbits from IMDB.Com. But not the unit. Still checking.

Looks like if he got on the plane, it was time for -you- to get off...

-F-

Trivia
During WWII he had a friend named Kim Noonien Singh; after the war Kim disappeared, and Gene used his name for some characters in the Star Trek series (Khan Noonien Singh from Star Trek II, and Noonien Soong from TNG) hoping for Kim to contact him.

Some of his ashes sent up in a rocket, launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base.

Might have died in a house fire when still a toddler along with Bob, Doris, and their mother, but a milkman came along and woke them in time.

In 1943 while a US Army Air Corps pilot, his plane crashed on takeoff due to a mechanical failure, killing two crew members.

On 19 June 1947 he was deadheading (traveling while not on duty) on a Pan Am plane when it crashed in the Syrian desert, killing 7 of 9 crew and 7 of 26 passengers on board. He rescued the Maharani of Pheleton from the wreck. Rescue came in hours, but too late to save most of the luggage, and the victims' possessions, from local tribesmen and villagers.

During the war he wrote a song lyric "I Wanna Go Home", which became popular.

His first TV script sale, in 1953, was the episode ``Defense Plant Gambling'' for the show "Mr. District Attorney" (1954). It was broadcast 2 March 1954. In the science-fiction field, his first was "The Secret Weapon of 117", broadcast 6 March 1956 on the anthology series "Chevron Hall of Stars".

He had many lovers and was sometimes overt about it. He and Majel had been lovers for years when he decided it was time to marry her and asked her to join him -- although he happened to be visiting Japan at the time. Gene did not adhere to any particular religion and since they were in Japan they chose to have a Shinto-Buddhist wedding on 6 August 1969. They regarded this as their real wedding, but his divorce was not yet final and they made it legal with a civil ceremony on 29 December 1969.

His old pseudonym Robert Wesley was used in the "Star Trek" (1966) episode "The Ultimate Computer" as the name of a character, played by Barry Russo.

Served on the Los Angeles Police Force from 1949 - 1956, badge number 6089. This information from "Star Trek Creator" by David Alexander.

Died within 48 hours of screening Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991), the last Trek that revolved around his original characters.

Shared the same birthday as TNG star, Jonathan Frakes.

He has a building named in his honor on the Paramount Studio lot.

Father of actress Dawn Roddenberry.

Father, with Majel Barrett, of Rod Roddenberry.

While meeting with George Takei about a role on "Star Trek" (1966), Gene accidentally pronounced George's last name 'Ta-kei', which is similar to the word expensive in Japanese "takai" . He remembered the pronouncation by rhyming it with "OK".

Died on 24 October 1991, exactly ten years after Marina Sirtis's father.

During his years in the LAPD, he was the spokesman of LAPD Chief William H. Parker.

Was a close friend of Jack Webb.

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 3
RE: Gene Roddenberry... - 6/18/2005 3:09:23 AM   
Feinder

According to this site

AeroFiles

He was a C-47 pilot in the 8th AF (which would be Europe).

Lots of interesting name on the list at that site.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 4
RE: Gene Roddenberry... - 6/18/2005 3:33:47 AM   
Feinder

However, according to FamousTexans.Com, it substantiates your data (probably where you saw the data).

"In the Air Force, from 1941 to 1945, he piloted a B-17 Flying Fortress on 89 missions, including Guadalcanal and Bougainvillea. Among his several decorations were the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Medal. As a pilot for Pan American after the war, Roddenberry crashed his plane in the Syrian desert. Only eight of the flight's 46 passengers survived.'

Still digging (at least until PBEM turn shows up).

-F-

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 5
RE: Gene Roddenberry... - 6/18/2005 3:40:23 AM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

According to this site

AeroFiles

Lots of interesting name on the list at that site.

-F-

I'll say... Ed McMahon was a Corsair pilot in the Pacific, Jimmy Stewart flew bombers in WWII and Vietnam. Very interesting.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 6
RE: Gene Roddenberry... - 6/18/2005 5:08:44 AM   
rogueusmc

I knew about Jimmy Stewart but I didn't know about Ed McMahon

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 7
RE: Gene Roddenberry... - 6/18/2005 5:14:59 AM   
Feinder

Actually, there appears to be more references to G.R. flying B-17s than C-47s. However, I don't see any info (other than the brief 8th AF for C-47s). It's likely that

a. One of them is wrong. It seems doubtful that you'd fly B-17s in the Pacific -and- C-47s in Europe.
b. The internet perpetuates itself. A wrong entry on one site will proliferate each time somebody writes a web-page about him, grabs the errant info, and continues on.

Still, I'd guess the B-17 info was more likely correct.
-F-

** Also of Star Trek fame, Deforrest Kelly (Macoy) I think was gunner in USAAC. Not positive tho, just another of those, "Hm. Whadday know!" comments that I came across when when Googling.

-F-

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 8
RE: Gene Roddenberry... - 6/18/2005 5:55:11 AM   
rogueusmc

One of the trippiest trivial bits is that Don Knotts (mr. 'can I put my bullet in my gun ady?' Barney Fife) is, to this day, considered one of the most feared drill instructors to walk Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, California.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 9
RE: Gene Roddenberry... - 6/18/2005 7:17:04 AM   
bradfordkay

It must have been because his voice could pierce eardrums when he yelled at recruits.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 10
RE: Gene Roddenberry... - 6/18/2005 9:22:18 AM   
PBYPilot

When he (Gene Roddenberry, that is) visited the Museum of Flying in Santa Monica before it opened in 1989 he expressed a particular interest in the Boeing 314 and told me he had been a pilot for Pan Am. He gave me the impression he had flown those flying boats, but that may have just been by associating the two, rather than anything specific he said.

PBYPilot

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 11
RE: Gene Roddenberry... - 6/18/2005 12:40:49 PM   
Terminus

Well, he WAS a Pan Am pilot from 46 to 49, I believe, so he could very well have been piloting flying boats.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to PBYPilot)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Gene Roddenberry... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI