Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

So after alls said and done...worth it?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> So after alls said and done...worth it? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So after alls said and done...worth it? - 6/30/2005 3:35:37 AM   
maddjkr

After all the patchs is the game worth the bucks?

Im getting CoG...but I am looking at this to tide me over till Thursday.

Whatcha yall think?
Mike

..."You just shot an unarmed man."
"Well he shoulda armed himself..."
Post #: 1
RE: So after alls said and done...worth it? - 6/30/2005 5:26:02 AM   
CapnDarwin

Yep!

Great Dev support, more stuff in the future, good gameplay, 'nuff said.
If you have questions post them. The folks here are pretty good about answers.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to maddjkr)
Post #: 2
RE: So after alls said and done...worth it? - 6/30/2005 5:38:33 AM   
maddjkr

well the last i looked at this game their was no infantry. Has that changed?

Mike

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 3
RE: So after alls said and done...worth it? - 6/30/2005 6:50:53 AM   
jjhouston4

There is infantry, it's just that it's mechanized. Given that the scale of the map is 500 meter grids and that the unit counters depict platoon and company sized units, it's not unreasonable that the mech dismounts are not depicted independently of their vehicles. The game portrays a conflict between NATO and WP forces in the late '80's. During that time frame, I was assigned to the scout platoon of the infantry battalion out of Friedberg and then to a cavalry troop out of Bad Hersfeld, both units are depicted in the game's orbat. I don't recall ever training with or seeing any light infantry (except for the cadre at the PCT school at Bad Toelz, but those guys were a Seventh Army asset, IIRC) and I really don't see that the design decision not to depict dismounts separately from their vehicles detracts that much from the gameplay given the subject matter.

(in reply to maddjkr)
Post #: 4
RE: So after alls said and done...worth it? - 6/30/2005 6:58:38 AM   
maddjkr

thats understandable. How about airstrikes? Helicopters and planes? Or what?

Mike

(in reply to jjhouston4)
Post #: 5
RE: So after alls said and done...worth it? - 6/30/2005 3:19:04 PM   
CapnDarwin

A number of attack helo's are in the game and move as on map units. Airstrikes are called in like Arty and each helo/aircraft has it's own attributes/weapons. The airstrike load outs at the moment are generalized as "bomb" but in the future different packages may get put in (I'm pushing for that. ). Both helo's and aircraft can get shot down by opposing air defense units.

(in reply to maddjkr)
Post #: 6
RE: So after alls said and done...worth it? - 7/1/2005 8:44:12 AM   
Rob322

So what's next for the series?

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 7
RE: So after alls said and done...worth it? - 7/1/2005 3:31:52 PM   
CapnDarwin

Rob,

The majority of the Matrix crew is at Origins until Sunday. I'm sure Robert will have a very good idea of what the roadmap is after that and can talk to it. I know there is interest to expand on the game but as a tester I'm not in that loop and can't predict where things will go. I'm hoping for a lot more down the road myself.

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 8
RE: So after alls said and done...worth it? - 7/1/2005 4:26:23 PM   
hank

Personally, I think the game is a very good deal. If you consider the price is less than most of the Matrix games like BiN or others that sell for $49 US this is quite a good deal. I've been very patient with this game and its paying off with the last couple of patches. I like the user interface and I think it has great potential for expansion.

Plus, you get some of the best developers I've seen as far as responsiveness and the desire to improve.

By the way, I'm using this email as a request for PBEM. Does anyone want to start one up w/V1.04 ? If so reply here and we'll get the arrangements set.

... and if I had a suggestion or two for future stuff ... even though the name is Flashpoint GERMANY, I would like to see other scenario's in other parts of the world most desireable being the Middle East (Iraq/Iran/Syria/isreal/Saudi Arabia/etc) and other hot spots of the world. ... AND I would like to see the map extents increased so we could have larger battles including several divisions ... slugging it out.

my $0.02

Hank

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 9
RE: So after alls said and done...worth it? - 7/1/2005 7:04:39 PM   
wogerbear

I would be willing to play you.

Roger

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 10
RE: So after alls said and done...worth it? - 7/2/2005 7:22:13 PM   
sabre100

This is a really good game and for the price it is excellent. I have other Matrix games but this is one I like best. Of course everybody has a different opionion of what they like and dont like but neverthless it is a good game.

I am looking forward to a map editor I think that was mentioned before that it was going to be released anybody know what the deal is now?

Thanks

(in reply to wogerbear)
Post #: 11
RE: So after alls said and done...worth it? - 7/4/2005 5:34:43 AM   
hank

Over the past few days I've been playing against the AI. I was US side in the soviet main attack scenario. I won handily but noticed a much improved AI over the version I played with was V1.02. I was going to suggest a global reporting screen but found it this morning ... so nix that suggestion because its already done.

But one thing ... a small thing ... : I think it would be nice to be able to increase the message text that flashes on the map indicating one of many actions going on like "NATO artillery firing", or "Rested", or etc. etc. The text is sort of small for old eyes.

Is there an .ini file or some other type of setting file where I can increase the font size for these messages?

Also, on one of the start up dialog boxes, the text runs together on my laptop. I have a nice wide screen laptop and I run it at its highest resolution (which means nothing in FG). Just an observation.

Good work.

hank

(in reply to sabre100)
Post #: 12
RE: So after alls said and done...worth it? - 7/9/2005 3:01:17 AM   
IronManBeta

Hi Hank - thanks for the suggestions.

1. The "message text" reference is to the combat hints - the light yellow rectangles that pop up over the map to display some of the combat results? I could make the font size user modifiable quite easily.

2. Which exact start up dialog box is giving you trouble? Could you manage to provide a screen shot? It ought to be fixable too.

Thanks, cheers, Rob.

quote:

ORIGINAL: hank

Over the past few days I've been playing against the AI. I was US side in the soviet main attack scenario. I won handily but noticed a much improved AI over the version I played with was V1.02. I was going to suggest a global reporting screen but found it this morning ... so nix that suggestion because its already done.

But one thing ... a small thing ... : I think it would be nice to be able to increase the message text that flashes on the map indicating one of many actions going on like "NATO artillery firing", or "Rested", or etc. etc. The text is sort of small for old eyes.

Is there an .ini file or some other type of setting file where I can increase the font size for these messages?

Also, on one of the start up dialog boxes, the text runs together on my laptop. I have a nice wide screen laptop and I run it at its highest resolution (which means nothing in FG). Just an observation.

Good work.

hank

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> So after alls said and done...worth it? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI