Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Diplomacy, Protectorates and War.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Diplomacy, Protectorates and War. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Diplomacy, Protectorates and War. - 7/5/2005 9:56:23 AM   
wyrmmy

First off let me say despite the following, I like the concept of the game, and am happy with the majority of it. I have tried all powers for about 5 years each in both the 1792 and 1796 scenarios. Consistantly, every minor is a protectorate of someone within 2 years of start, which limits options considerably. Next complaint, Countries should need to be protectorates prior to start of a war, not after it starts. Why? Take this one example. As Prussia in 1799 I am allied with Russia, and have non aggression pacts and Royal marriages with Sweden, Austria and Britain. Britain and France have been bleeding each other since the start of the game. I have good relations with everyone except Turkey. Ok, I've built my army, improved infrastructure etc, and am ready for a little expansion. So I declare war on Saxony, Smash their army 200k vs 50k, and it retreats south. Next turn the Saxon army advaces into Silesia. I beat it again 70k to 40k with my reserve. Breach the walls in Saxony same turn, should only be a turn or two til they surrender. Next turn, Saxony offers Britain a protectorate, and Britain issues me an ultimatum. I say shove it and continue the war, expecting the hit Britain will take from breaking an enforced peace and royal marriage will disuade them. No such luck. Next turn, the now British Saxon army marches in to Saxony as BRITISH troops, and defeats the Prussian army 30k vs the 75k conducting the siege. Quit game. This is the same inept army I had beat badly twice before, but now they seem to get the british modifiers to the troops as opposed to the saxon, which is just plain wrong. I have had similar happening every time I attack a minor, no matter who it is, who my allies and enemies are, and who I am. Alas, the game is going into hibernation at least til the next patch, as this is just to frustrating to try and play as it stands. Like I said to start, I am not trashing the game, I like the ideas, and most of the implementation, but if I get this frustrated in single player, learning the game, I am not about to go pbem yet. So here's to the first patch.
Post #: 1
RE: Diplomacy, Protectorates and War. - 7/5/2005 10:22:49 AM   
Uncle_Joe

I think you can look at it as the minor asking another nation to intervene. Its still called 'Protectorate', but it still works for what is going on.

As far as taking on the national characteristics of the 'parent' nation, I cant really say. I know they retain their own nationality on the map, but perhaps they do get the parent's upgrades. Over time, I can see this occuring (much the same way the Portugese army patterned on the Brit army after a time. But if they are aquiring those upgrades instantly, then yes, it seems a little far-fetched. Of course this may be a limitation of the engine, and if so, then it might just have to be something we get used to and plan for.

(in reply to wyrmmy)
Post #: 2
RE: Diplomacy, Protectorates and War. - 7/5/2005 10:29:22 AM   
wyrmmy

Quite true, and as it is early in the release I may be missing something. But so far I can't get 2 years into any scenario before my WTF alarm goes off. In the example I gave, I did not see Britain take any of the hits to there score from breaking the enforced peace and royal marriage. Plus, you would have imagined Saxony would have looked to France (historical), rather than Britain. Plus on a side note, the British army is the size of the wehrmacht and they seem to have no hesitation to invade continental europe and steamroller France very early in the game.

(in reply to Uncle_Joe)
Post #: 3
RE: Diplomacy, Protectorates and War. - 7/5/2005 4:21:58 PM   
Erik Rutins

I haven't seen protectorate armies taking on characteristics of the major power, they have seemed as easy to beat to me as before, but we will keep an eye out for this. Thank you for your feedback.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to wyrmmy)
Post #: 4
RE: Diplomacy, Protectorates and War. - 7/5/2005 5:03:39 PM   
Mr. Z

quote:

Plus, you would have imagined Saxony would have looked to France (historical), rather than Britain.

Saxony's attitude towards France improves though the 1805 scenario, when it is equal to that with Britain. (As a side note, attitudes are a text file, and can be easily modded.)

quote:

Plus on a side note, the British army is the size of the wehrmacht and they seem to have no hesitation to invade continental europe and steamroller France very early in the game.

Are you talking about the 1796 scenario? In either case, Britain should be keeping at least one large army at home. Let us know if it's not, thanks.

(in reply to wyrmmy)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Diplomacy, Protectorates and War. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI