Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Maps for MWIF

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Maps for MWIF Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/2/2006 10:58:34 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

Well, the darker rivers show better, but on these screenshots they seem to smudge (I picked this word in the dictionary). I mean that the dark blue line on each sie of the inside of the river seem to smudge over the hex terrain. The lighter color had not this.
Why not have the clear terrain lighter ?
Oh, anyway that's not a big deal, darker or as they were at just before is fine, just it would be better if the color did not smudge.

Cheers !
Patrice

I will probably come back to the rivers once the rest of the graphics are done (i.e., the coastal hexes for the rest of the world). This was our first pass at them and we rather blindly followed ADG's lead and copied the WIF FE paper maps. They look ok, but I would like better.

Smudge is a good word to use here, though it usually means a blurring/running together of colors - typcially done with a thumb by accident. It can also be used to describe dirty water glasses: "they were smudged". Blurred or fuzzy are probably more appropriate adjectives. The lines are as not crisp and clear as I would like. It is the result of anti-aliasing. At high resolution the anti-aliasing makes lines look sharper, but when the image is zoomed out, the pixel colors are "averaged" and the anit-aliasing makes the image less crisp that it would be otherwise.

Not something to spend a lot of time on right now, but it's easy to make them a dark blue.

Right now the preference seems to be for the darker blue. If I could, I would make this an option, but the rivers in the coastal hexes are preprocessed, so the decision on colors for the rivers has to be made before the game is released.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 481
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/2/2006 8:31:38 PM   
Ballista

I agree with the darker blue- it appears to stand out better at the higher levels. These maps are sure coming around to looking spectacular. Keep up the good work !

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 482
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/4/2006 9:35:39 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here are the new icons. I have to fix the factories, they are offset a few pixels to the right, but everything is correct.

Note the two kinds of capitals: Berlin versus Amsterdam & Brussels (lower left corner).

There are functioning factories in Germany and idle factories in Netherlands and Belgium.

If you look closely you can see the change in clear terrain to a slightly darker pattern. The bitmapped coastal hexes are still the lighter shade: Hannover and Hamburg versus Bremen and Lubeck.

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to Ballista)
Post #: 483
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/4/2006 9:41:26 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here's another picture of the icons at a lower resolution.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 484
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/4/2006 9:45:53 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here's the revised desert mountain with the icons at another resolution.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 485
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/4/2006 11:45:34 AM   
Froonp

My own opinion is that :
- Desert mountain is better than before. Now it is clearly visible.
- The icons are generaly too small for my taste.
- The factories seem great, we will see when they will be no more offseted to the right.
- I prefered the round cities and the round resources & oil.
- If the resource icon was larger, the number of resources could be inscribed in the lower center of the icon, avoiding to be drawn on the pickaxe.

What is the difference between the two capitals ? Major power vs. minor countries ?

Note : I see that Hindenburg is still on this map. It is not on any existing WiF FE map.

Post #: 486
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/4/2006 12:55:04 PM   
Greyshaft

quote:

Note : I see that Hindenburg is still on this map. It is not on any existing WiF FE map.

Try the 'America in Flames' maps near Lakehurst New Jersey.

/Greyshaft

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 487
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/4/2006 1:14:03 PM   
c92nichj

quote:

My own opinion is that :

Agreed
quote:

Maybe a bit.
quote:

- The factories seem great, we will see when they will be no more offseted to the right.

I like the factories, looks great.
quote:

- If the resource icon was larger, the number of resources could be inscribed in the lower center of the icon, avoiding to be drawn on the pickaxe.

I like the oil icon but not the resource one, also if it's only one resource/oil in a hex I don't think that a number shall be visible only if there are more than one resource in a hex.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 488
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/4/2006 1:14:42 PM   
Froonp

I talked about Hindenburg in eastern Germany (East of Breslau).
There is an Hindenburg on the AiF map ???

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 489
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/4/2006 2:19:14 PM   
Caranorn

I love the factories, resources and oil resources. I don't think these can be made larger (at least not much larger) without cluttering some hexes (hexes with city, port, factory and resource, multiple railines and of course on the coastline...).

I guess we will get used to the city icons, I also preferred round ones, but these octagonal ones I expect will have no anti-aliasing problems on the various backgrounds.

I have never heard of a major city called Hindenburg (Germany), so I expect it indeed doesn't belong there. It would be good if we found out who added it to CWiF and for what reason.

Oh yes, and indeed I'd remove the numbers from single resources. Maybe even a graphic representation could be found to represent multiple resources (like the multiple factories).

Marc aka Caran... ministerialis

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 490
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/4/2006 2:39:27 PM   
Neilster

quote:

I talked about Hindenburg in eastern Germany (East of Breslau).
There is an Hindenburg on the AiF map ???

Oh the humanity!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindenburg_disaster

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 491
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/4/2006 5:16:28 PM   
YohanTM2

I really like the art. Factories in particular. I think the size of the resource markers is great as it does not overshadow the hex. I agree that you can take the numbers off the resources if there is only one.

I also agree the oil marker looks great. The square resources may take a bit of getting used to.

I like the city designs, I think it looks cool.

(in reply to Caranorn)
Post #: 492
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/4/2006 6:11:56 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

My own opinion is that :

What is the difference between the two capitals ? Major power vs. minor countries ?

Removing the number from the resource icon when there is only one resource in the hex is an excellent idea.

The idle factories actually need to be cleaned up. Where the smoke is positioned for working factories the background is tinted red instead of being a pure white.

The different shapes help identify/communicate information: circle for port, octagon for city, square for resource, rectangle for factory.

The Major Power capitals have a red center octagon, while the minor country capitals have a gray center octagon.

The artist's first pass was to center the resource number in the bottom of the hex. Obscuring the crossing point of the shovel and pick axe really messed up the icon - it was hard to see that there were two separate tools, and what they were. I had him move it to the side so the represenation was easier to discern.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 493
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/4/2006 8:41:03 PM   
dhatchen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Does this shot have the darker clear hexes?

I like most of what is on these maps. The desert mountain is perfect. The new city icons work, and the difference in capitals is a nice touch. I am still deciding on the square resource/oil. They are great, but I am partial to the paper map versions. Could the resource icon have a background closer to the paper map?

This just a thought, but I really like the active/inactive factory icon idea. Would it maybe be possible to port the same idea to the resource/oil icons? Also, even more off the wall, to show partial usage, ie, one stack smoking if only one is in use. This would make a real nice visual feedback touch.

Post #: 494
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/4/2006 8:43:31 PM   
YohanTM2

Steve,

Will there also be icons to show if resources and factories are destroyed?

Rob

(in reply to dhatchen)
Post #: 495
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/4/2006 10:20:30 PM   
lomyrin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yohan

Steve,

Rob

Will factories that have been successfully strat bombed show that they are lost for the turn?

Lars

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 496
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/4/2006 10:40:40 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: dhatchen
quote:

Does this shot have the darker clear hexes?

I like most of what is on these maps. The desert mountain is perfect. The new city icons work, and the difference in capitals is a nice touch. I am still deciding on the square resource/oil. They are great, but I am partial to the paper map versions. Could the resource icon have a background closer to the paper map?

This just a thought, but I really like the active/inactive factory icon idea. Would it maybe be possible to port the same idea to the resource/oil icons? Also, even more off the wall, to show partial usage, ie, one stack smoking if only one is in use. This would make a real nice visual feedback touch.

Yes, they are all darker clear hexes (a couple touches of green have been added).

Curiously enough, I specifically requested that the artist change the background color for the resource hex from the paper maps. I find the orange too much of a contrast with the rest of the map's color scheme.

The partial usage of the factories (one smoking and two not smoking) is already part of the code for the game (compliments of Chris).

These screen shots do not show damaged factories and resources. They look like functioning ones but with a diagonal red line across the icon. Individual factories can be damaged while others in the hex are not. When oil resources are damaged, I will have the program add another icon to the hex if necessary. For example, the polesti oil fields could be providing 3 oil resources with the 4th one damaged. There would be a icon of 3 good and a second icon of 1 damaged.

Ports can also be damaged and they are also shown with a diagonal red line across the icon.

Steve

(in reply to dhatchen)
Post #: 497
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/4/2006 10:55:45 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: lomyrin
quote:

Steve,

Rob

Will factories that have been successfully strat bombed show that they are lost for the turn?

Lars

There are three types of factories: red, blue, and green. The red and blue factories start on the map. Green factories are new ones built during the game using the production system. [There are also green factories mentioned in Patton in Flames and included on those maps but they are not part of MWIF product 1. When I use the adjective green herein, I am refering to the definition in the 3rd sentence of this paragraph.]

Green factories can be completely destroyed and then their icons are replaced by black factory icons. If an new factory is built in the hex where there is a black factory icon, then the black icon is replaced with a new green one. Green factories can not be damaged, only destroyed.

Both red and blue factories can be damaged (but not destroyed). Their status as damaged is indicated by the red diagonal line across the icon. They can be repaired using engineers, and if that is done, they return to their original, unblemished status.

Strategic bombing doesn't actually affect a factory. Instead, it affects the total production points available to the Major Power. I haven't decided on how to indicate that. If there are 2 factories in the hex and strategic bombing has already inflicted the loss of 2 production points, then additional strategic bombing will have no effect (unless it is so successful that it destroys a factory). So, the information has to be available to the players somehow. I do not know how CWIF handled this. I'll read that code someday.

Steve

(in reply to lomyrin)
Post #: 498
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/5/2006 12:10:34 AM   
Froonp

quote:

For example, the polesti oil fields could be providing 3 oil resources with the 4th one damaged. There would be a icon of 3 good and a second icon of 1 damaged.

Just to warn you that 4 Oil resources in Ploesti is a ghost of the WiF past.
WiF FE has 3 Oil resources in Ploesti (Rumania) now.

For the square resources, I still prefer the orange rounded ones Those are too dark for me.

Post #: 499
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/5/2006 12:17:15 AM   
Froonp

quote:

Here's the revised desert mountain with the icons at another resolution.

I have a remark about the strait arrow in the shot where we see Gibraltar.
Because of Option 12 (limited access across straits), you have to draw the arrow on the right side of the sea area border. In the case of Gibraltar, it should be drawn in the West Med Sea Area.
As it is now, one can't know that he have to take care of the West Med to open the supply route from Tangier to Gibraltar (if using Option 12).

Patrice

Post #: 500
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/5/2006 12:24:05 AM   
Froonp

quote:

Strategic bombing doesn't actually affect a factory. Instead, it affects the total production points available to the Major Power. I haven't decided on how to indicate that. If there are 2 factories in the hex and strategic bombing has already inflicted the loss of 2 production points, then additional strategic bombing will have no effect (unless it is so successful that it destroys a factory). So, the information has to be available to the players somehow. I do not know how CWIF handled this. I'll read that code someday.

Maybe a stack could be colored black to show it has lost its Production Point (PP) ?
Or a black dot can appear below the stack whose PP was destroyed.
CWiF had a dialog showing the Strategic Bombing losses (Info / Strategic Bombing), but it could be better if it was also displayed visualy on the screen so that one knows that all PP are destroyed on a given factory in case of a second wave of bombers is in preparation.

Post #: 501
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/5/2006 12:27:17 AM   
dhatchen

quote:

Yes, they are all darker clear hexes (a couple touches of green have been added).

Curiously enough, I specifically requested that the artist change the background color for the resource hex from the paper maps. I find the orange too much of a contrast with the rest of the map's color scheme.

The partial usage of the factories (one smoking and two not smoking) is already part of the code for the game (compliments of Chris).

These screen shots do not show damaged factories and resources. They look like functioning ones but with a diagonal red line across the icon. Individual factories can be damaged while others in the hex are not. When oil resources are damaged, I will have the program add another icon to the hex if necessary. For example, the polesti oil fields could be providing 3 oil resources with the 4th one damaged. There would be a icon of 3 good and a second icon of 1 damaged.

Ports can also be damaged and they are also shown with a diagonal red line across the icon.

The clear looks better.

I agree with Froonp, I like the rounded orange resource bestest.

Post #: 502
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/5/2006 1:39:08 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Maybe a stack could be colored black to show it has lost its Production Point (PP) ?
Or a black dot can appear below the stack whose PP was destroyed.
CWiF had a dialog showing the Strategic Bombing losses (Info / Strategic Bombing), but it could be better if it was also displayed visualy on the screen so that one knows that all PP are destroyed on a given factory in case of a second wave of bombers is in preparation.

I haven't gotten to the straits hexsides yet. Those icons need replacement (as do the fortifications). The subtle point you are making is good, but fairly demanding on the programming - I believe this is the only place where this kind of a problem arises. Writing special code just for one place on the map goes against my instincts.

I want to review the attack arrows (I thought they were pretty good in CWIF) and other indications of committed actions (ground strikes, ground support, etc.). I also want something new for naval combat that can be shown visually in the sea areas, using the sea boxes.

How about a small x over the factories that are out of commission for 1 turn? It could appear where the smoke is for a functioning factory.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 503
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/5/2006 1:47:07 AM   
Froonp

quote:

How about a small x over the factories that are out of commission for 1 turn? It could appear where the smoke is for a functioning factory.

Yes, good for me.
The X in WiF is the synonym to "destroyed", so I think it shows that the output of this stack is destroyed.

Edit : Ooops. You write "Out of commission" and as a French speaker I am not 100% sure that this mean that 1 PP is lost. I hope that it is what you meant.

Post #: 504
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/5/2006 2:12:41 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Yes, good for me.
The X in WiF is the synonym to "destroyed", so I think it shows that the output of this stack is destroyed.

Edit : Ooops. You write "Out of commission" and as a French speaker I am not 100% sure that this mean that 1 PP is lost. I hope that it is what you meant.

Yes. I used "out of commission" to mean that the production point is lost for a turn. "Out of commisssion" is a typical sign that is hung on machinery that isn't currently working. I do a lot of writing and I get bored using the same words over and over again. I am aware that I throw in odd words from time to time. I rationalize it to myself by saying that maybe it has the same meaning in French, or if not, then it is an opportunity to teach a new word. I apologize if it is annoying - but it is a habit of a lifetime.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 505
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/5/2006 3:41:21 AM   
Incy

quote:

I really like the art. Factories in particular. I think the size of the resource markers is great as it does not overshadow the hex. I agree that you can take the numbers off the resources if there is only one.

I also agree the oil marker looks great. The square resources may take a bit of getting used to.

I like the city designs, I think it looks cool.

Hindenburg is now Zabrze (and in Poland).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zabrze

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 506
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/5/2006 7:45:36 AM   
dhatchen

quote:

As a French speaker, your English has been impeccable on these posts. I have read them all and it showed only a couple of times. I wish my French was as good.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 507
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/8/2006 3:27:30 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Hindenburg up in flames! For Patrice.

Here are the darker rivers with darker clear and forest terrain. I believe the difference between the forest and swamp is more noticeable now.

I have fixed a bug in drawing the rail lines and made some other modifications to smooth them out. The hex west of Lodz has a better intersection and so does the hex east of Katowice. Some names still need to be repositioned (an never ending task, it seems).

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to Incy)
Post #: 508
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/8/2006 3:30:17 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here are the lakes and rivers with darker blue outlines. I have modified the coastal hexes so they match.

Notice the new iced-in port symbols for both minor and major ports.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 509
RE: Maps for MWIF - 2/8/2006 3:35:24 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

This screen shot is at level 6 zoom. The rivers are somewhat muddy (simulating after a heavy rain?). Eventually I will come back to the rivers to improve how they look at all levels of zoom. This is good enough for now.

Metz is still misplaced. I have only messed around with it about 20 times. I have put in the ability to position icons at 25 different points within a hex. It is letting me improve the placements of some icons, but mainly helps with the rail lines.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Maps for MWIF Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI