Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons - 8/26/2005 7:04:27 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp
quote:

CWIF optional rules that were discontinued in WIF FE and will not be included in MWIF 1:
Separate die rolls on land combat table,
Territorial conquest, and
Vlassov (replaced by city based volunteers).

About "Territorial conquest", it's not that I would like to nickpick, but I would like you to explain précisely what it is (or what it was), because I still fail to catch it. Do you have a paragraph number for example ?

Thank you.

Actually, I have no idea. Chris told me that it was something that he had included at one time but that fallen out of use during the evolution of WIF while he was working on CWIF. You have noticed the WIF has a strong tendency to evolve, haven't you? I really have no interest in what it is, just that it is no longer part of WIF. Which means I don't have to think about it, while I am worrying about the other 70+ options.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 121
RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons - 8/26/2005 10:54:11 PM   
Froonp

quote:

quote:

About "Territorial conquest", it's not that I would like to nickpick, but I would like you to explain précisely what it is (or what it was), because I still fail to catch it. Do you have a paragraph number for example ?

Thank you.

Actually, I have no idea. Chris told me that it was something that he had included at one time but that fallen out of use during the evolution of WIF while he was working on CWIF. You have noticed the WIF has a strong tendency to evolve, haven't you? I really have no interest in what it is, just that it is no longer part of WIF. Which means I don't have to think about it, while I am worrying about the other 70+ options.

OK.
I suspect it has to do with 13.7.1 Conquest, but I can't recall precisely what changed there, yet I'm the guy who did all the rule comparison files between each new version of the rule, from RAW1 to RAW7.
Anyway, if I'm included in the testers team I'll make sure that the conquest rules are correctly enforced

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 122
RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons - 8/26/2005 11:27:47 PM   
c92nichj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
My goal remains to produce a version of WIF for the computer as soon as I can. There are players who really want Days of Decision. There are those who do not want extra development time spent on adding some of the add-ons we have included in MWIF Product 1. The decision of what to include and what to exclude is guaranteed to disappoint almost everyone to some degree.

I support this choice very much, but as you previosly stated Patrice could add his own units using the .csv files if he likes to have more units in the game.

Post #: 123
RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons - 10/11/2005 11:47:16 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I am trying to type in all the setup information for the full 11 scenarios. However, I can't seem to find the setup specifications for the newest scenario "Missed the Bus". The xls spreadsheet for Section 30 of the rules only has information on the other 10. Does anyone know where I can find comparable information for "Missed the Bus"?

Steve

(in reply to c92nichj)
Post #: 124
RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons - 10/11/2005 12:17:33 PM   
Froonp

quote:

I am trying to type in all the setup information for the full 11 scenarios. However, I can't seem to find the setup specifications for the newest scenario "Missed the Bus". The xls spreadsheet for Section 30 of the rules only has information on the other 10. Does anyone know where I can find comparable information for "Missed the Bus"?

The XLS spreadsheet has a one and only source : Harry Rowland. You need to ask him.
Any other source would be unofficial.

Post #: 125
RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons - 10/16/2005 6:44:20 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

The XLS spreadsheet has a one and only source : Harry Rowland. You need to ask him.
Any other source would be unofficial.

Harry reffered me to the person who developed the scenario and he will be sending me the missing data on "Missed the Bus".

Meanwhile I am trying to figure out how to set up Lebensraum. The Section 30 spreadsheet has Italy setting up units in "East Africa" which is very confusing since Section 24.4.2, under Control, has the Commonwealth having liberated Ethiopia. conquered Italian Somaliland and Eritrea. There isn't much left of East Africa for the Italians. Where exactly are they suppose to set up? There are separate units listed to setup in Libya. I am also assuming that the Commonwealth controls all of Egypt and only the Tobruk hex in Libya.

Has anyone played this scenario and know where to place the Italians?

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 126
RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons - 10/16/2005 11:32:19 AM   
Froonp

quote:

Meanwhile I am trying to figure out how to set up Lebensraum. The Section 30 spreadsheet has Italy setting up units in "East Africa" which is very confusing since Section 24.4.2, under Control, has the Commonwealth having liberated Ethiopia. conquered Italian Somaliland and Eritrea. There isn't much left of East Africa for the Italians. Where exactly are they suppose to set up? There are separate units listed to setup in Libya. I am also assuming that the Commonwealth controls all of Egypt and only the Tobruk hex in Libya.

I do not know where they should setup. I never played this scenario.

However, given that Ethiopia is liberated, and Italian Somaliland & Eritrea conquered, I wonder where those 2 TERR that should setup come from. Normaly the Territorials from Ethiopia, Italian Somaliland and Eritrea should be in the Commonwealth force pool now. Only the AOI could still be on the map after those events.

I definitively think this is an error in the Scenario book.

Cheers !

Patrice

Post #: 127
RE: Lend leased units - 12/24/2005 2:27:51 AM   
Glen Felzien

Ok, I started rereading this thread and, well, gave up. As an option, would I be able to play vanilla MWIF? No planes, ships, politics in flames etc? I see in your original post you intend to allow players to edit the unit list. Is this still so?

You see, I like the elegance of the WiF strategic game and the addons such as flak, arty etc was introducing an operational aspect to the game that to me was way out of place. Besides, there are far better games than WiF for operational level gaming.

Glen

(in reply to Caranorn)
Post #: 128
RE: Lend leased units - 12/24/2005 2:52:56 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Glen Felzien

Ok, I started rereading this thread and, well, gave up. As an option, would I be able to play vanilla MWIF? No planes, ships, politics in flames etc? I see in your original post you intend to allow players to edit the unit list. Is this still so?

You see, I like the elegance of the WiF strategic game and the addons such as flak, arty etc was introducing an operational aspect to the game that to me was way out of place. Besides, there are far better games than WiF for operational level gaming.

Lost in the maze of 76 optional rules? Tell me about it - you should read the associated code.

To answer your question, pretty much yes. You can turn off options and get a game without: pilots, divisional sized units, oil, [Politics in Flames and Leaders in Flames aren't included at all in Product 1], Cruisers in Flames units/rules, Convoy in Flames units/rules, and most other stuff. I am not so sure about the counters from Ships in Flames (haven't read all the code) - probably have to use the extra units. Planes in Flames units can probably be omitted - but I am not certain without investigating it.

I haven't rigorously gone through the optional rules I inherited yet, so my knowledge of their details is shaky.

One of my goals is to have a vanilla version available. A single click of the button lets you turn all the optional rules off.

Steve

(in reply to Glen Felzien)
Post #: 129
RE: Lend leased units - 12/24/2005 9:52:27 AM   
Glen Felzien

quote:

One of my goals is to have a vanilla version available. A single click of the button lets you turn all the optional rules off.

Simply brillant. Thank you

Glen

Post #: 130
RE: Lend leased units - 12/24/2005 12:08:17 PM   
Froonp

quote:

To answer your question, pretty much yes. You can turn off options and get a game without: pilots, divisional sized units, oil, [Politics in Flames and Leaders in Flames aren't included at all in Product 1], Cruisers in Flames units/rules, Convoy in Flames units/rules, and most other stuff. I am not so sure about the counters from Ships in Flames (haven't read all the code) - probably have to use the extra units. Planes in Flames units can probably be omitted - but I am not certain without investigating it.

As far as I know, SiF & PiF weren't desactivatable in CWiF. They were mandatory.

quote:

Remember though that playing without SiF means different rules (for instance 5 CP = 1 ship instead of 2 CP = 1 ship while using SiF), that are not present in the CWiF code as far as I know. Worst, playing without SiF has all the warships counters being different, because WiF ships are removed from the game when playing SiF. CWiF has the naval counters of SiF (countersheets 18-22) not those of WiF (coutersheets 1-6 + 24).
Regards

Patrice

Post #: 131
RE: Lend leased units - 12/24/2005 4:33:09 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

As far as I know, SiF & PiF weren't desactivatable in CWiF. They were mandatory.

quote:

Remember though that playing without SiF means different rules (for instance 5 CP = 1 ship instead of 2 CP = 1 ship while using SiF), that are not present in the CWiF code as far as I know. Worst, playing without SiF has all the warships counters being different, because WiF ships are removed from the game when playing SiF. CWiF has the naval counters of SiF (countersheets 18-22) not those of WiF (coutersheets 1-6 + 24).
Regards

Patrice

Yes, the Ships in Flames counters are used. [This means I have to correct the list I sent you.] And the convoys come in increments of 1, not 5. I am not sure about other aspects of the Ships in Flames rules though. For example, the use of AMPHs.

The Planes in Flames counters are used too. However, the rule concerning pilots is definitely optional. I will investigate this in detail later, when I revise the code for the optional rules to match the ones listed for MWIF Product 1.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 132
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI