Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The problem with Denmark

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> The problem with Denmark Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The problem with Denmark - 7/9/2005 8:41:40 PM   
jwarrenw13

I've seen similar things discussed in a couple of threads but thought I would add this as something the AI could do better.

In my 2nd game as Sweden I'm in 1809 and doing quite well. I conquered Norway and decided not to repeat my first game mistake of going for the kill against Denmark too early, which led to a massive and crushing French intervention on the part of Denmark. I have been strengthening my economy and trying to play diplomacy. I have a seasoned army of about 80,000 men defending the Swedish mainland.

The problem is that every month Denmark will send a small army against me, 10 or 20 thousand. It is immediately repulsed. Prussia has become involved, too, and sends 10-30 thousand against me nearly every month. I easily win each battle and have hordes of Prussian and Danish POWs including Blucher himself. He is a rather interesting dinner guest, btw.

Occasionally the Prussians and Danes are able to coordinate their efforts, so I have fought a couple of battles against a larger combined force, but still only about half the size of my army.

I am currently running 4th in glory points but am just a few points out of 2nd place with about 300 points, with France well in the lead with about 600. I am waiting for what looks like a good time to strike out against Denmark in coordination with my British allies while avoiding a huge French army.

But here is my point. It seems unrealistic to me for the Danes to be sending a small army against me every month for me to crush. But it doesn't seem to be in the AI's power to bide its time and build up a larger force to make a more serious effort against me. I've also read some other accounts of the AI doing similar things in other situations.

So I'm wondering if it is possible to get the AI to do a better job of recognizing when it needs to build up its forces first rather than flinging them against me.

Likewise I second what has been said about detailed battles. The AI needs to do a better job of keeping its units consolidated rather than flinging the pell mell against my stalward lines of Swedish infantry and artillery.

Wonderful game, btw. I'm thoroughly enjoying it though I still have the feeling I don't know what I'm doing with the economy and diplomacy. Having to respond to things like the threat of French intervention if I act to hastily is very neat. Great game.
Post #: 1
RE: The problem with Denmark - 7/9/2005 8:46:49 PM   
Copper

I agree, as france, fighting Austria, I've got like 100,000 austrian POW's and what few regular units they have left, they send mixed with militia to be crushed at the hands of my vastly superior army, it's really quite annoying, the A.I. should be less attack happy and more looking for the win.

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 2
RE: The problem with Denmark - 7/10/2005 12:07:14 AM   
ericbabe

I agree. The AI doesn't always recognize when its nuisance raids are just a waste of time.

Eric

(in reply to Copper)
Post #: 3
RE: The problem with Denmark - 7/10/2005 6:55:43 PM   
ahauschild

The AI has a major flaw in smaller battles, and in battles where there is to much starting distance betwheen the armies.
In smaller engagements. The problem is mostly the cavalry will at all cost rush ahead and bounce on any column to force square, that is great, if there is a unit there to fire at the square. but because of the distance apart it will take 3 turns or so for the inf to catch up and by then then cav is wiped and running and the squares are columns or line again. The AI does send units in small forces and is diverted easy by garrisons.

Not sure how to fix it, other then to give big advantages in the game setup to the enemy.

Also it seems their armys break very easy. I have no problem routing even french, with often have moral 8 on their units when my army has 4 to 6 moral.

I am sure they will refine it in future patches, and I still have a blast with it. Many sleepless nights so far.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 4
RE: The problem with Denmark - 7/10/2005 9:44:17 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: ahauschild

The AI has a major flaw in smaller battles, and in battles where there is to much starting distance betwheen the armies.
In smaller engagements. The problem is mostly the cavalry will at all cost rush ahead and bounce on any column to force square, that is great, if there is a unit there to fire at the square. but because of the distance apart it will take 3 turns or so for the inf to catch up and by then then cav is wiped and running and the squares are columns or line again. The AI does send units in small forces and is diverted easy by garrisons.

Not sure how to fix it, other then to give big advantages in the game setup to the enemy.

Also it seems their armys break very easy. I have no problem routing even french, with often have moral 8 on their units when my army has 4 to 6 moral.

I am sure they will refine it in future patches, and I still have a blast with it. Many sleepless nights so far.

I increased the AI's threshold of retreating in detailed combat. I had similar experiences fighting as Spanish against the French -- the AI didn't value its morale superiority nearly enough.

Eric

(in reply to ahauschild)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> The problem with Denmark Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI