Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Am I attacking or defending????

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Am I attacking or defending???? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Am I attacking or defending???? - 7/10/2005 3:43:08 PM   
msin

I have been playing COG for a week now and enjoy it immensely. I do have one question that I have not been able to find the answer to in the manual or in reviewing the threads on this forum.

In detailed combat (or quick combat for that matter), how do I tell which side is identified as the attacker and which side is the defender? I can't find anything on the screen to indicate which side is the attacker during combat but at the end of the battle, the Military Advisor pops-up and lists the attacker and defender losses.

In the battle between good and evil, evil has more fun...
Post #: 1
RE: Am I attacking or defending???? - 7/10/2005 4:21:25 PM   
Reg Pither

I was playing yesterday and started to wonder the very same thing. At first I thought it was as simple as the army that moves into a province is the attacker, and a stationary army in that province is the defender. But then it seems reversed if you're in an enemy province - i.e. my French forces in Austrian territory always seemed to be designated as the attacker, even if they'd been sitting there and Austrian forces had moved in to attack. But then that didn't seem to be consistent either, and what happens if you both move into a territory at the same time? It would be nice to know exactly what the rules are on this.

(in reply to msin)
Post #: 2
RE: Am I attacking or defending???? - 7/10/2005 4:32:55 PM   
msin

Reg,

Thanks for the reply. Glad to know I'm not the only one confused by this. Like you, I at first thought it depended upon which unit moved into a province but as you mentioned this doesn't appear to be consistent.

Given that there are no geographical objectives in detailed combat, Attacker/Defender concepts may be a moot point. However, I did see something in another thread that indicated that the "Attacker" would loose a small amount of Morale each turn until combat ended or the attacking force broke and fled. If this is true, It is important that the attacking force be identified at the start of combat

(in reply to Reg Pither)
Post #: 3
RE: Am I attacking or defending???? - 7/10/2005 4:53:44 PM   
Ralegh

quote:

did see something in another thread that indicated that the "Attacker" would loose a small amount of Morale each turn until combat ended or the attacking force broke and fled

I'd like it to work the way you describe,but at the moment I think both sides lose morale equally as time goes by!

HTH
Steve/Ralegh

(in reply to msin)
Post #: 4
RE: Am I attacking or defending???? - 7/10/2005 5:44:20 PM   
bluemonday

quote:

ORIGINAL: msin

In detailed combat (or quick combat for that matter), how do I tell which side is identified as the attacker and which side is the defender?

I don't know about Detailed Combat, since I don't use it that often, but in Quick Combat, the defender is on the right and the attacker on the left, as identified by the attacker/defender labels on the sides of the screen:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to msin)
Post #: 5
RE: Am I attacking or defending???? - 7/10/2005 6:00:16 PM   
msin

DOH!!! I tend not to use Quick Combat unless it is required due to small force sizes and had never noticed the side bars before... Wonder if I'm missing something equally obvious in detailed combat

(in reply to bluemonday)
Post #: 6
RE: Am I attacking or defending???? - 7/10/2005 9:51:02 PM   
ericbabe

It is confusing in detailed combat... I'll try to change the messages: perhaps to the name of the largest nation on each side.

The "defender" in a combat is the nation with the unit that first moved into the province. Usually this ends up being the guy who owns the garrison in the city, though in neutral territory it can be more fluid.

Eric

(in reply to msin)
Post #: 7
RE: Am I attacking or defending???? - 7/12/2005 6:51:51 AM   
pixelpusher

Perhaps the message should be similar to the advisor popup at the end of a Detailed Battle (HW), where it reports casualties. It seems like the player should get to the same 'battle outcome' popup, regardless of it being a HW or QC battle.
Also, both would be clarified by just adding the nationalities to Attacker and Defender. ie: "A bloody battle. The French attackers suffered 13,000 casualties and the Austrian defenders suffered 12,400 casualties and were driven from the field." (proposed additions are underlined.)

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Am I attacking or defending???? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI