Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Various Bugs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Crown Of Glory Support >> Various Bugs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Various Bugs - 7/22/2005 6:48:57 AM   
vonkohlmann

I've been playing and enjoying CoG, but noticed some bugs I haven't seen reported elsewhere.

Post #: 1
RE: Various Bugs - 7/22/2005 7:01:34 AM   
jchastain

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonkohlmann

I've been playing and enjoying CoG, but noticed some bugs I haven't seen reported elsewhere.

And so you decided to keep them a secret?

(in reply to vonkohlmann)
Post #: 2
RE: ******* Bugs - 7/22/2005 7:03:31 AM   
Hanal

quote:

ORIGINAL: jchastain

quote:

And so you decided to keep them a secret?

(in reply to jchastain)
Post #: 3
RE: Various Bugs - 7/22/2005 7:28:40 AM   
vonkohlmann

Sorry, hit OK by mistake. Bugs are:

1. On the opening screen, when you're choosing nationality and diffficulty, etc. , the fade in is really slow, combined with frequent artifacts including flashes of the victory screen. I'm running 1.4 Pentium 4 with 512 mb Ram, 64 mb ATI Graphics card. I just updated my graphic drivers a month ago. I meet all the minimum specs, so what gives? Also on Quick Battles or Detailed, when there is fog or rain, things really slow down, clicks are delayed, etc. Same on the trade creen; if I'm trading say 20 wool for 20 gold it takes a very long time, filled with empty or unrecognized clicks; the number traded keeps changing long after I've stopped clicking. Also on the National economy screen; I can change the pointer on the draft or tax rate but the amount changes slowly if it changes at all. It sounds like a graphics problem, but on the trading and economy screens? Anyone else have this problem? Perhaps Z Mask? I've shut down Virus protection, but it made no difference.

2. The military upgrades sometimes appear, sometimes don't. I finished a game as Britain and only in the last year (1810? or so) did I get to choose any upgrades. Other games as Britain they've come much more quickly, even with roughly the same number of Barracks and Culture. As France, some quarters they come, others they don't. I'm also positive that I've chosen the same upgrade several times in a row; I've checked the upgrade screen and it shows I have a certain upgrade then I'm offered that exact upgrade next quarter. I've also been offered Massed Artillery I and Massed Artillery III at the same time but for some reason not MAII (and don't you need MAI to get MAII to get MAIII?) Also, is there any definitve list as to what upgrades help in Quick Combat and which are worthless. In addition, my first game I was able to click and highlight two upgrades and immediately CTD'd.

3. When you try to unload detached divisions from a fleet sometimes they all unload, even if only one was chosen.

4. Although mentioned somewhat elsewhere, the allocation locks on the development screen don't always keep their amounts locked.

5. At the start of some Quick battles it will jump immediately to "Done" before any units have been placed or Auto placed, thereby forfeiting the battle. Happens more often for naval battles. Could be another "stored click slow graphics problem."

6. There is no end of turn confirmation for the first turn of the game, or the first turn of a loaded saved game.

Thanks

Post #: 4
RE: Various Bugs - 7/22/2005 7:32:04 AM   
vonkohlmann

And yes, I was going to keep them secret, but in an incredibly magnanimous gesture I am willing to share them with the world.

Post #: 5
RE: Various Bugs - 7/22/2005 3:52:39 PM   
Reg Pither

quote:

1. On the opening screen, when you're choosing nationality and diffficulty, etc. , the fade in is really slow, combined with frequent artifacts including flashes of the victory screen. I'm running 1.4 Pentium 4 with 512 mb Ram, 64 mb ATI Graphics card. I just updated my graphic drivers a month ago. I meet all the minimum specs, so what gives? Also on Quick Battles or Detailed, when there is fog or rain, things really slow down, clicks are delayed, etc. Same on the trade creen; if I'm trading say 20 wool for 20 gold it takes a very long time, filled with empty or unrecognized clicks; the number traded keeps changing long after I've stopped clicking. Also on the National economy screen; I can change the pointer on the draft or tax rate but the amount changes slowly if it changes at all. It sounds like a graphics problem, but on the trading and economy screens? Anyone else have this problem? Perhaps Z Mask? I've shut down Virus protection, but it made no difference.

4. Although mentioned somewhat elsewhere, the allocation locks on the development screen don't always keep their amounts locked.

6. There is no end of turn confirmation for the first turn ... of a loaded saved game.

I have also encountered all these problems.

Post #: 6
RE: Various Bugs - 7/22/2005 4:43:40 PM   
jhdeerslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg Pither

quote:

6. There is no end of turn confirmation for the first turn ... of a loaded saved game.

I have also encountered all these problems.

You are not alone. I have seen these also like Reg.

(in reply to Reg Pither)
Post #: 7
RE: Various Bugs - 7/22/2005 5:05:05 PM   
ericbabe

Thanks for the reports.

quote:

I've got a comparable system I've tested the game on (1.3GHz, .5GB) and it seems to run better on this system than what you're experiencing. I don't think it's a bug that's causing the slowness on your system (in as much as bug means "code that does not work"), but I could allow users to shut off some of the alpha effects, such as weather. Are there other processes running that you can shut down while COG is running?

quote:

2. The military upgrades sometimes appear, sometimes don't. I finished a game as Britain and only in the last year (1810? or so) did I get to choose any upgrades. Other games as Britain they've come much more quickly, even with roughly the same number of Barracks and Culture. As France, some quarters they come, others they don't. I'm also positive that I've chosen the same upgrade several times in a row; I've checked the upgrade screen and it shows I have a certain upgrade then I'm offered that exact upgrade next quarter. I've also been offered Massed Artillery I and Massed Artillery III at the same time but for some reason not MAII (and don't you need MAI to get MAII to get

Did you check the upgrade list after you picked the upgrade? Was it on the list? Was a save/restore game involved, or did you play continuously between picking the upgrade and not getting it?

When you said that Britain wasn't getting upgrades, what was the training level reported in the Upgrade Report (from the Economic Advisor screen)? Was it higher than the number of upgrades listed? You only get to pick upgrades at the start of every season... did the training level exceed the number of upgrades listed for more than 3 months in a row?

Upgrades have no pre-requisites. "Massed Artillery II" is just another way of saying "More Massed Artillery" and they can be chosen in any order.

quote:

MAIII?) Also, is there any definitve list as to what upgrades help in Quick Combat and which are worthless. In addition, my first game I was able to click and highlight two upgrades and immediately CTD'd.

They all help in quick combat, except for the ones that affect strategic level and economic areas of the game. An upgrade is roughly a 25% chance of getting a +1 bonus in quick combat.

quote:

They are sometimes forced to change their amounts when there's nowhere else to draw the labor from. Is this what's going on, or are they changing when there's other unlocked areas with excess labor?

quote:

5. At the start of some Quick battles it will jump immediately to "Done" before any units have been placed or Auto placed, thereby forfeiting the battle. Happens more often for naval battles. Could be another "stored click slow graphics problem."

That's possible. I've never seen this, but in theory if you click on the done button twice and your system is slow in processing the button messages the second one could linger in the queue until the next time the screen is opened. For now, try not to click twice, and I'll add code that flushes the queue of done-button messages when QC opens.

quote:

6. There is no end of turn confirmation for the first turn of the game, or the first turn of a loaded saved game.

That's on my list too.

Eric

Post #: 8
RE: Various Bugs - 7/22/2005 7:53:22 PM   
vonkohlmann

Thanks for all your quick replies Eric. To answer your questions:

1. I don't have any other programs running, just CoG. My system's pretty streamlined and there aren't a lot of other background processes, just a couple percent typical CPU usage.

2. I didn't know about the training level needing to be higher than the number of upgrades. I'm pretty sure when I checked though the number was much higher than the number of upgrades. Also, I am sure that some of the upgrades offered were already on the upgrade list. Next time I play I watch more carefully every season.

4. Nope, there's no free labor available; the computer breaks the lock on a random locked production. I've seen it taken away from every type of production (Agriculture, Labor, Textiles, etc.) It may be that it breaks the lock only on when it needs very small amounts, say 1 or 2 workers, but it makes it a pain to fine tune the economy. Nothing major, but locked should be locked. This goes hand in hand with my difficulty of just choosing small amounts to transfer, possibly relating to the slow click problem.

5. Thanks!

6. Thanks again!!

You didn't comment on my problem #3. Are you just being polite to me overlooking something obvious?

Thanks

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 9
RE: Various Bugs - 7/23/2005 2:18:57 AM   
vonkohlmann

More information: If I click on play the game and wait a minute or two to click "Local Game" the opening screen comes up quick. Otherwise it seems it taking a while to load and my eager clicks disrupt it. I checked my virtual RAM, 3/4 of a Gig, and adjusting made no difference either.

Post #: 10
RE: Various Bugs - 7/23/2005 11:31:44 AM   
Naomi

quote:

Thanks for all your quick replies Eric. To answer your questions:

1. I don't have any other programs running, just CoG. My system's pretty streamlined and there aren't a lot of other background processes, just a couple percent typical CPU usage.

2. I didn't know about the training level needing to be higher than the number of upgrades. I'm pretty sure when I checked though the number was much higher than the number of upgrades. Also, I am sure that some of the upgrades offered were already on the upgrade list. Next time I play I watch more carefully every season.

4. Nope, there's no free labor available; the computer breaks the lock on a random locked production. I've seen it taken away from every type of production (Agriculture, Labor, Textiles, etc.) It may be that it breaks the lock only on when it needs very small amounts, say 1 or 2 workers, but it makes it a pain to fine tune the economy. Nothing major, but locked should be locked. This goes hand in hand with my difficulty of just choosing small amounts to transfer, possibly relating to the slow click problem.

5. Thanks!

6. Thanks again!!

You didn't comment on my problem #3. Are you just being polite to me overlooking something obvious?

Thanks

Let me assure you about #3. I support it is a bug - an annoying one from time to time. If you play with naval forces further more, you'll even find AI is not going to be very smart in naval affairs (no offence :p).

Post #: 11
RE: Various Bugs - 7/23/2005 9:40:08 PM   
vonkohlmann

"AI not very smart?" Now you're being polite to the AI, considering some of the things I've seen it do.

(in reply to Naomi)
Post #: 12
RE: Various Bugs - 7/25/2005 6:00:00 AM   
OldManRick

I haven't searched to see if they have been reported but:

In 1792 scenario as Britian, I was at war with Spain. When I conquered Madrid and the province to the west, I was given full possession - (not British occupied - Spain owned \like for normal home provinces.) After the peace treaty I still controlled the spanish capital. The Spanish automatically produced an army for me every turn they could. The whole scenario seemed to have trouble distinguishing home vs neutral provinces.

When I had a unit board a ship, and they selected a nearby unit to move, the unit on the ship unloaded as well as the selected unit. Very annoying, I had to leave the area to find another unit before I could come back.

I can't find the + - buttons for pagin through units on a old laptop that doesn't have a number keypad. No combination of number lock, shift etc seems to work.

Post #: 13
RE: Various Bugs - 7/25/2005 6:17:54 AM   
Ralegh

quote:

1. [graphics] really slow ... clicks are delayed ...

In general this is just you, and thje rest of us don't see it. They devs would like to figure it out, and may need more details about your version of directX, drivers, etc.
With the trade screen it is affecting everyone - it only registers a click every half a seond or so. I assume it is because of a large number of invisible controls on the page.
quote:

2. The military upgrades sometimes appear, sometimes don't.

You gotta earn em by building barracks and culture.
quote:

3. When you try to unload detached divisions from a fleet sometimes they all unload, even if only one was chosen.

KNOWN BUG
quote:

Not true. If the one you are in is also locked, then all behave as unlocked. Its a quirk.
quote:

5. At the start of some Quick battles it will jump immediately to "Done" before any units have been placed or Auto placed...

I think this is a result of the special you-only graphics slowdown - a stored click. I've certainly never seen this.
quote:

KNOWN BUG

HTH
Steve/Ralegh

Post #: 14
RE: Various Bugs - 7/25/2005 6:20:48 AM   
Ralegh

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldManRick

I haven't searched to see if they have been reported but:

In 1792 scenario as Britian, I was at war with Spain. When I conquered Madrid and the province to the west, I was given full possession - (not British occupied - Spain owned \like for normal home provinces.) After the peace treaty I still controlled the spanish capital. The Spanish automatically produced an army for me every turn they could. The whole scenario seemed to have trouble distinguishing home vs neutral provinces.

When I had a unit board a ship, and they selected a nearby unit to move, the unit on the ship unloaded as well as the selected unit. Very annoying, I had to leave the area to find another unit before I could come back.

I can't find the + - buttons for pagin through units on a old laptop that doesn't have a number keypad. No combination of number lock, shift etc seems to work.

Re Madrid - do you have a save just before hand so we can see this? Email to ralegh at rosesolutions dot com.

Re unloading - known bug

Re +/- - thats a bug with your keyboard (haha). A config screen to set our own keystokes for the keyboard shortcuts is common in many other games, and would resolve this for you - how about it Eric?

HTH
Steve/Ralegh

(in reply to OldManRick)
Post #: 15
RE: Various Bugs - 7/25/2005 3:22:10 PM   
vonkohlmann

Thanks for all the answers Ralegh, I really do appreciate it. But as far as problem #1 goes, Reg Pither and Deerslayer have apparently experienced it as well. I'll track it down yet. Thanks again.

(in reply to Ralegh)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Crown Of Glory Support >> Various Bugs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI