Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Public Apology to the Depot Community

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A Public Apology to the Depot Community Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 7/24/2005 4:49:36 AM   
KG Erwin

I was banned from the SPWaW Depot forums for some really nasty and stupid things I said many months ago. I was wrong, and I sincerely apologize for any damage I may have done to the Depot's credibility.

I make no excuses -- my comments were unwarranted, and my accusations were unfounded.

It is obvious that the Depot's members are only focused upon enhancing the game and contributing to its legacy, that and nothing more.

That is also my intention on this forum, and why I remain an active contributor.

Many of my closest friends are members of both forums.

I throw myself at the mercy of the Depot's administrators, and request that I be reinstated as a forum member.

Post #: 1
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 7/26/2005 12:21:04 AM   
Wild Bill

I wish you the best of luck with this. Differences of opinion and sometimes words said in haste can leave a sour taste in one's mind. I hope as has been said, "Time heals all wounds."

The Depot guys are great people. Many of them were an immense help in the making of Mega Campaign Screaming Eagles. Some go much further back than that.

We come to wargaming as something of a fantasy, a place to step away from the real world, with all its bickering violence and injustice. I hope we can maintain that spirit with one another always.

Peacemakers, so it is said, are called "The Children of God."

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 7/26/2005 12:40:00 AM   
Alby

FWIW...

I wasnt involved in any of what happened back then...so me commenting on any of that would be pointless.
But I do see you trying to help out the new guys here and I am sure it is appreciated....
I will continue to do the same.

but...you're a Rolling Stones fan!!
Hmmm......I dont know......
Just kidding ya!!!
hang tuff...keep rockin.

< Message edited by Alby -- 7/26/2005 1:31:45 AM >

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 3
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 7/26/2005 12:54:15 AM   
Goblin

For the record, the Depot's administration staff is discussing the issue. The lack of response on this thread was not intended to indicate we were ignoring it, my apologies.

Goblin

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 4
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 7/27/2005 4:37:46 AM   
Bernie

As Goblin said, the matter is now under review by the board of directors of the SP:WAW Depot Association, Inc. (parent organization of the SP:WaW Depot website). We will announce our decision, publicly both here and at the Depot, within 14 days.

B.W. Behling

President - SP:WAW Depot Association, Inc.

What, me worry?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 7/28/2005 2:06:59 PM   
RockinHarry

Just FYI, partly reason for my leave from the Depot last year was the banning of Glenn! Everybody can give and take a second chance!

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 6
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 7/28/2005 10:08:18 PM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: RockinHarry

Just FYI, partly reason for my leave from the Depot last year was the banning of Glenn! Everybody can give and take a second chance!

Harry, thanks for your support. That means a lot to me.

(in reply to RockinHarry)
Post #: 7
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 7/29/2005 12:03:04 AM   
Goblin

Glenn was given a couple of second chances, to set the record straight. The decision will be based on what is best for the Depot as a whole, and is still being discussed at this time.

Goblin

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 8
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 7/29/2005 1:19:27 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin

Glenn was given a couple of second chances, to set the record straight. The decision will be based on what is best for the Depot as a whole, and is still being discussed at this time.

Goblin

Stop right there, Goblin---if you guys regard "what's best for the Depot " as above "what's best for the game", then forget it.

I hope I can talk to Bernie directly. He and I parted ways, and I deeply regret it. The only way it can be repaired is if we two can talk.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 7/29/2005 3:21:57 AM >

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 9
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 7/29/2005 2:55:29 AM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin

The decision will be based on what is best for the Depot as a whole

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Stop right there, Goblin---if you guys regard "what's best for the Depot " as above "what's best for the game",
then forget it.

Please read my wording, thank you. Sincewe are Depot staff members, what is best for The Depot is our primary concern. My statement meant nothing more and nothing less, which is why I typed it as such. The extra wording is yours. That doesn't comfort me, since it was statements like this that caused the ban in the first place. As stated, we are discussing the issue.

Goblin

< Message edited by Goblin -- 7/29/2005 3:00:05 AM >

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 10
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 7/29/2005 4:42:09 AM   
tracer

Glenn, do me a favor: don't make more work for me.

Jim NSB

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 11
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 7/30/2005 1:30:36 PM   
RockinHarry

I don´t tell names here, but there´s surely a handful of people (or shall I say loudmouths?) that weren´t good for the Depot and SPWAW either! Particular statements of these people were never rejected from the Depot staff members, so I assumed a "silent" agreement. I don´t have any problem with any of the "respected" Depot (staff) members though.

RockinHarry in the web:

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 12
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 7/30/2005 3:53:27 PM   
m10bob

I may be considered an impartial witness here as I have "friends" on both sides of this issue,and was a witness to the events in question.
As my memory serves me,the conversations actually began with a heated,slanderous vein and went south from there.
I truly feel Glenn was not himself that day,and seemed to be under the influence of something.
Several folks who consider themselves both his friends,and fans of his work, tried to calm Glenn at the time, but to no avail.
This issue has saddened me, because I am an acquaintance/friend of all parties involved, and I remember the events accurately, and painfully, for the same reasons.
The actual victim of (what I felt to be slander) Bernie , stayed remote from the keyboard entirely, and was for all intense purposes a gentleman, (IMHO). My temper and past life experiences might have put me in somebodies driveway,under similar circumstances.
I am an old, ex-police officer, and years ago, began a passionate dislike for people who are afraid to get involved, and I only relate this now because I AM impartial, but I am honest, and I am involved..
Glenn is a good guy with problems, and I feel he has been very big in publicly addressing his problems and request of forgiveness.
Indeed, this is very big..
The past is the past........
Suggest we move on with a clean slate on all sides.

< Message edited by m10bob -- 7/30/2005 3:58:51 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 8/1/2005 1:54:48 PM   
RockinHarry

As said, just trying to figure out criteria when certain people get banned...or not! Time to leave that old crap behind IMHO.

RockinHarry in the web:

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 14
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 8/8/2005 3:12:42 AM   
Alby

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Alby -- 8/8/2005 3:47:05 AM >

Post #: 15
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 8/8/2005 3:25:24 AM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: RockinHarry

As said, just trying to figure out criteria when certain people get banned...or not! Time to leave that old crap behind IMHO.

A permanent ban occurs only after several warnings about rules violations, then a temporary ban due to rules violations, followed by additional rules violations. Typical violations would be spamming (we've been spared thus far, knock on wood!), personal attacks on members, posting XXX images, etc. As stated, repeated violations would result in a permanent ban.

As for my own personal (unofficial) view, I dislike the word 'permanent' in most cases, which is why I participate in any reviews of permanent bans. Things and people change, so a review process is valuable. Again, this is my personal view.

Goblin

< Message edited by Goblin -- 8/8/2005 3:27:23 AM >

Post #: 16
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 8/11/2005 5:35:24 AM   
Bernie

The Board of Directors of the SP:WaW Depot Association, Inc., after extensive debate, have voted in favor of modifying the current ban. The matter has now been passed on to the staff members of the Depot website for their comments and review, with the recommendation from the board being that the ban be lifted no later than Oct. 1st, and that, as a condition of reinstatement, a probationary period not to extend past January 1st, 2006 be imposed. If, during the probationary period, any further infraction of the rules of the website should occur then the original ban shall be placed back into full force and the ban shall never again be rescinded or reduced.

Furthermore, a proposed change to the bylaws of the association has been submitted to the Board that would modify how future lifetime bans are to be handled. The change is as follows:

Any lifetime ban of a member from the association website may be reviewed by the Board of Directors no more than once per year for the life of the ban, and, if the Board, by majority vote, elects to modify or rescind the ban in the course of such a review, any subsequent ban against that member will be for life, with no further review or modification possible.

< Message edited by Bernie -- 8/11/2005 6:07:57 AM >

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 17
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 8/11/2005 5:56:49 AM   
KG Erwin

Thank you, Bernie. The efforts that were made on my behalf are greatly appeciated.

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 18
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 8/11/2005 6:18:53 AM   
Bernie

Banning is always left as our last resort at the Depot. I think it speaks well for us that, in almost two years of operation, with more than sixty thousand messages posted, and with more than one thousand members, only five bans have ever been made, and only two of those have been lifetime bans. Also, during that same period, aside from two spamming posts, less than ten threads have ever been locked down, none has ever been deleted (not even the one that sparked this incident), and only two threads have ever been permanently locked.

What, me worry?

Post #: 19
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 8/11/2005 7:08:33 AM   
Wild Bill

You are doing a great job at the Depot, Bernie, and your presence here is always appreciated. I miss those MC-SE days. Those were some grand times. I thank you again for your invaluable contributions to that effort.

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 20
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 8/11/2005 7:40:31 AM   
Bernie

Thank you for your praise Bill. We do try, very hard, to keep the Depot going as a place where SP:WaW players of all levels, and all walks of life, are welcome, made comfortable, and given every possible assistance to further their enjoyment of the game. That we're now nearing our second anniversary, and have gone from a simple website to a fully incorporated non-profit organization, complete with a Board of Directors and bylaws, have opened a prospering training academy for both new and experienced players, have held Depot sponsored get-togethers and events which have drawn attendees from around the world, developed new campaigns and revamped old ones, and continue to move forward on other vital projects, shows that the SP:WaW community is a vibrant and thriving part of the overall gaming community, and that we have an important role to play in that community.

I also want to thank you, again, for all the hard work you've put into projects, such as MC-SE, for the benefit of all of us. Your leadership, and dedication, have done more for this community than we at the Depot can ever hope to match.

What, me worry?

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 21
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 8/11/2005 8:03:18 AM   
Wild Bill

Wow! All I can say is "Thank you" Bernie, but having talked with you face to face and enjoyed your camaraderie, you know the depth of what I'm saying.

Folks like you and so many others have made the thousands of hours invested in the hobby and these last 12 years along with over 1,300 scenarios and campaigns worth it all.

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 22
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 8/11/2005 8:28:32 AM   
junk2drive

What an interesting list of member names in this thread.
People come and people go in this hobby. Those that stay should stay together.
Thanks to all of you for your contributions to the hobby.
See ya, here, and "over there".

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 23
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 8/12/2005 1:08:15 AM   
Alby

junk2drive said...."What an interesting list of member names in this thread.
People come and people go in this hobby. Those that stay should stay together.
Thanks to all of you for your contributions to the hobby.
See ya, here, and "over there".

Crap!! your post just reminded me.....I missed the Over There episode last night!!!

< Message edited by Alby -- 8/12/2005 1:21:18 AM >

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 24
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 8/12/2005 1:17:32 AM   
Huffy

I know it is on different times...but I saw it on Tue. at 11:00pm,...then Wed. night is the next episode..
Huffy

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 25
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 8/12/2005 1:46:28 AM   
KG Erwin

The dedication displayed by the designers who reside at the Depot is beyond reproach. I worked with some of these guys on MCSE, and their expertise never ceased to amaze me.

I considered it an honor to be listed amongst the contributors for MCSE, even though I played only a small part.

In the wargaming world, sometimes egos and politics interfere with the view of the "big picture". Friendships are strained and sometimes broken. Through it all, I've valued the friendships I've made, and I still feel privileged that I was given the opportunity to contribute to both MCSE and the latter-day OOB projects.

To all of you guys -- Bill Wilder, Dave Heath, Bernie Behling, Bryan Melvin, Jim Sodano and so many others-- I owe you a sincere debt of gratitude. What a great , but sometimes rough ride it has been.

(in reply to Huffy)
Post #: 26
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 8/12/2005 1:53:01 AM   
Alby

OR....

What a long strange trip its been!!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 27
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 8/12/2005 2:02:28 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

OR....

What a long strange trip its been!!

Amen to that, brother

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 28
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 8/15/2005 8:33:25 PM   
IBTyrone

Glad to see this issue is being addressed. I don't know the details that led to Gunny's banning, nor do I want to. I *am* sorry it happened. We were all worse off for it.

I do know that since Gunny ceased to be moderator over on the Matrix Games site, he has been a model citizen over here, welcoming folks warmly and answering questions, while providing good topic fodder and insights. I think the decision to explore Gunny's reinstatement over at the Depot will make the SP community stronger as a whole.

Correspondingly, the review policy that the Depot has instated is a good policy for the long term. As Goblin pointed out, people can change over time and the new review policy takes that into account.

Kudos to Bernie and the Depot staff!

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 29
RE: A Public Apology to the Depot Community - 8/15/2005 11:44:16 PM   
Goblin

Thanks IB! As usual, the check is in the mail for the positive statements about The Depot...

Goblin

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A Public Apology to the Depot Community Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI