Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: When?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: When? Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: When? - 11/22/2008 3:29:45 PM   
olivier_slith

I've been reading this forum many years (check joined date) but seldom participates (check # of posts) as it is always the same stories coming out: why u guys r so slow (the abbreviations are on purpose as it is usually the  younger crowd that has no patience) before the release, and then, how can you have such a buggy product, after release (check the forum of la grande guerre). I always check these forums for 2 reasons: is the game going to be released before my next vacation (as a teacher, I have a lot :)) and is the game playable?

As an example, I wanted to buy la grande guerre (WWI) for the coming week that I have off (thanksgiving for you who live outside US), so I checked if it was released, Yes, it is, then I check for playability, and, oh no, it's a mess, so I just wait and go back playing what I was playing (War in the Pacific).

So I'd like to thank programmers who take time to give us release dates, players who warn me against buying defective products, and above all, Matrix for keeping on publishing these jewels. Teenage whinners, keep off, I have enough of you at work!

(in reply to Justascratch)
Post #: 811
RE: When? - 11/26/2008 3:38:50 PM   
Tanan Fujiwara

I have been trailing this thread since I found out that WiF was going to finally reach the computer. I must admit that the project seems a Leviathan, especially if it is going to be done right…

That said I could care less about the price or how much time will it take to be completed, just as long as in the end the computer version is true to the original game.

I must say beforehand that Mr. OKeets monthly status reports are quite impressive and indeed shows the huge commitment he has undertaken with this awesome game, but after being badly burnt with EiA, I must admit I do not trust Matrix one pinch on this one, and I am afraid that they might just ruin a beautiful game once again.

Will the game include all of the official WiF expansions and options?
Will the players be able to choose which optional rules they rather play with?
Will the AI be at least competent enough not to make stupid mistakes against veterans of the game? (I am well aware that the AI will never equal a real player, but I believe that at least it should be barely challenging).
Will the game stay true to the rules and sequence of play?

I do not know if this is the right place to ask these questions and I apologize if I should have published these questions somewhere else, but since some people are strongly disappointed with the delays I just wanted to mention the fact that I would much rather wait for as long as it takes to get a good and final product that stays true to the original than to hurry it up and get a game

My best

(in reply to olivier_slith)
Post #: 812
RE: When? - 11/26/2008 6:04:49 PM   
sajbalk

quote:

Will the AI be at least competent enough not to make stupid mistakes against veterans of the game? (I am well aware that the AI will never equal a real player, but I believe that at least it should be barely challenging).

As an interested observer ...
MWiF will include all the expansions and options up through the summer of 2008, i.e. Planes in Flames, Ships in Flames, Mech in Flames, etc. It does not included Days of Decision, America in Flames, or Patton in Flames. The latter seem to be reserved for version 2 which depends, one presumes, on the sales of version 1.

There are efforts on the AI, but the developer will know better as to its status.

True to sequence of play? YES. Rules -- YES, but there is one scale for the whole world.

Steve Balk
Iowa, USA

(in reply to Tanan Fujiwara)
Post #: 813
RE: When? - 11/26/2008 6:46:18 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: sajbalk

quote:

As an interested observer ...
MWiF will include all the expansions and options up through the summer of 2008, i.e. Planes in Flames, Ships in Flames, Mech in Flames, etc. It does not included Days of Decision, America in Flames, or Patton in Flames. The latter seem to be reserved for version 2 which depends, one presumes, on the sales of version 1.

There are efforts on the AI, but the developer will know better as to its status.

True to sequence of play? YES. Rules -- YES, but there is one scale for the whole world.

Steve is completely correct.

As for the AI Opponent, ... here is what is looking like the final version of the script for setting up Persia (download the TXT). PeskPesk has been hard at work on these. If anyone wold like to lend a hand, sned me a PM or email (SHokanson@HawaiianTel.net).

Attachment (1)

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to sajbalk)
Post #: 814
RE: When? - 11/26/2008 8:58:03 PM   
Tanan Fujiwara

Thank you so much for the “blitzkrieg” response.

The AI for Persia seems good, I suppose mayor power AI is much more complicated, but alas, this game offers a great opportunity to port to a computer, especially if you take into account all the management aspects of the game, and having a single scale seems right, and does not influence the game a bit, since the original rules already took this into account regarding movement, supply, etc...

I am in the mist of a 1939 Campaign pbem game with the Japanese and things are starting to look bleak, but no matter, this game always offers a marvelous playing experience even if your butt is being kicked all over the pacific…

So as I said, take as much time as you need but for heavens sake get it right.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 815
RE: When? - 12/1/2008 9:24:21 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

December 1, 2008 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Accomplishments of November

Project Management
Current planned release date for MWIF product 1 is late April 2009.

Communications
I monitored all the threads in the MWIF World in Flames forum daily and uploaded versions 11.04 and 11.05 for the beta testers.

Patrice keeps his hand in answering rules questions, sometimes by contacting Harry Rowland.

Peter Skoglund continues to help with developing scripts for the AI Opponent.

Nothing new from Robert Nebel or Michael Andersen (convoy pipelines).

Nothing new on unit writeups.

No information from Matrix about getting a price on a printed copy of the map.

No communications with Chris Marinacci or Harry Rowland.

Hardware and Software Development Tools
I have not installed ThemeEngine July/2007 - the status on this is unchanged.

Beta Testing
I uploaded 11.04 and 11.05 for the beta testers. The changes for 11.04 primarily concerned fixing bugs in the land combat resolution processing and interface. There are many combinations of results possible with land combat resolution and some of the rules were somewhat vague. With the help of forum members and the beta testers, I worked out precisely what the sequence of play is when the numerous optional rules are being used. There were a few obvious bugs from all the changes I made to land combat resolution and those were corrected in 11.05. 11.05 also enables placing two carrier air units on a carrier, which CWIF did not permit.

Units, Map, and Scenarios
Nothing new on any of these items.

Optional Rules
Nothing substantially new here. I did review and revise my list of the tasks remaining concerning optional rules. Oh, and I also enabled setting up Warlords within 6 hexes of their home city. That’s a deviation from RAW but it has been discussed in the forum and has met with general approval.

Player Interface
The land combat resolution and air-to-air combat forms are now similar in layout. I need to go back and make cosmetic changes to the air-to-air combat form for how the subphases are displayed. The newer style I developed for the land combat resolution is much better.

Internet - NetPlay
I made very little headway on writing the technical code for communicating between computers in November. This leaves me with the task of finishing the fundamental technical code plus integrating it into the master program for playing the game in December. I find it very difficult to work on new technical aspects of programming when there are other loose ends that are dangling in the wind. Hopefully I have cleaned up enough of them that I get focus on NetPlay at least half the time in December.

CWIF Conversion
The rewrite of the land combat resolution phase is complete. This includes retreats and advance after combat. I still need to do a similar task for naval interceptions and naval combat but I expect that to be easier since CWIF already had naval combat broken down into subphases. Not much remains in terms of removing unnecessary phases. There are some that I want to fold into naval combat (e.g., naval combat aborts are a separate phase and they should be a subphase of naval combat). Other than that I just have Overstacking and Collapse Vichy to convert into Digressions. Happily, most of that code is already written.

MWIF Game Engine
My final list of subphases for the LandCombatResolution phase is:
• Roll the dice for HQ support (not really a subphase, but it gets done first thing here),
• LCRspLandCombatSelection,
• LCRspDefSnowUnits,
• LCRspAttSnowUnits,
• LCRspChooseCombatType,
• LCRspLandCombatResolution (i.e., rolling the dice),
• LCRspConvertShattered,
• LCRspAssignLosses,
• LCRspHexControl (i.e., overruns due to successful invasions/paradrops),
• LCRspRetreats, and
• LCRspAdvanceAfterCombat.

In the process of making these changes I generated all the accompanying Game Record Log entries needed to support NetPlay.

Saved Games
Nothing new - it works.

Player’s Manual
Nothing was scheduled but I made a quick edit through the section on the introductory tutorials, to bring it up-to-date.

PBEM
Nothing was scheduled.

Historical Detail, Animations, and Sound
Nothing new.

Help System and Tutorials
Nothing new.

AI Opponent
Peter Skoglund and I spent some time working hard on the script for setting up Persia. One of the reasons this took so long was that part of the process included defining/refining elements of LAIO (Language for AI Opponent). I’ve brought my design specification for LAIO up-to-date with the various changes we decided upon.

This is looking pretty good; so much so that I began writing up the design for the parser. The parser will take the scripts and transform it into executable code for the main program. When the AIO needs to make a decision, it branches to a function for the specific decision (there are 90+ decision points). Associated with each decision point is a script. At the beginning of program execution, all the scripts are read in and parsed. This means that when the time comes to make a decision, the AIO will simply execute the parsed/compiled code.

Today Peter sent me a new version of the script for setting up Afghanistan, and he is working on encoding the script for setting up The Netherlands. I figure those 3 will be enough for me to develop and debug the parser.

Other
The aftermath of the Pan Pacific 2008 convention still drew my attention in the beginning of November. And then I needed to clean up all the MWIF items that I had let slide. For instance, I typically update my master task list every two weeks with all the bits and pieces of stuff that gather on my desk, in my email, and in the MWIF development forum (i.e., beta testers bug reports). When I turned to do that this month I found that the last time I had done so was August 19th! Mercifully, there were only 23 new bugs to add to the list, which is around 4 per each new version I uploaded. After bringing my list up-to-date I managed to fix 18 of those while simultaneously solving all the new ones reported for 11.04.
====================================================================
November summary: I am now back to full steam on MWIF, though there were some rough spots at the beginning of the month..
====================================================================

Tasks for December

Communications
Continue monitoring the forum threads.

Map and Units
Nada.

Beta Testing
Upload versions every week. [est. 2 hours]

Optional Rules
Review, comment, modify, and create code for optional rules [est. 20 hours]

Redesign of MWIF Game Engine
Continue to work through the sequence of play giving each phase its own module. As part of this task, convert CWIF style internet formats to Game Record Log Formats. [est. 100 hours]

Player Interface
Finish the code for determining and displaying supply lines. [est. 10 hours]

Create hex destination lists for air missions. [est 10 hours]

Complete the Task Forces forms. Implement Task Forces as a new “unit type”. [est. 30 hours in Jan.]

NetPlay
Write the technical code for communicating between multiple computers [est. 100 hours]
Implement the bidding capability using NetPlay. [est. 10 hours]
Incorporate the Indy10 code for the two player system into MWIF. [est. 20 hours]
Incorporate the multi-player (more than 2) system into MWIF. [est. 35 hours in January]

AI Opponent
Define LAIO variables with their supporting functions. Design and code the parser for LAIO. [est. 50 hours]

Nothing scheduled until March.

Player’s Manual
Nothing major scheduled until February.

Historical Detail, Animations, and Sound
Nothing scheduled until April.

Other
The chorus has 2 gigs this coming week, one of which is a block from my house. Then we have our Xmas show the following weekend. After the Xmas show, singing will disappear from my life until January. We have had 3 meals from the 14 pound turkey so far and it looks like 4 or 5 more remain.
================================================================
December summary: Get NetPlay functioning, and finish most of the remaining revisions to the sequence of play. Keep the beta testers busy.
================================================================

Steve

(in reply to Tanan Fujiwara)
Post #: 816
RE: When? - 12/1/2008 2:01:52 PM   
Anendrue

Thanks for the update.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

Post #: 817
RE: When? - 12/1/2008 5:55:09 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
Other than that I just have Overstacking and Collapse Vichy to convert into Digressions. Happily, most of that code is already written.

If you wrote them, they are, but if you count on what existed in CWiF, I think that Collapse Vichy was not included in CWiF, as all conquest & surrender steps.

Post #: 818
RE: When? - 12/1/2008 6:09:12 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Other than that I just have Overstacking and Collapse Vichy to convert into Digressions. Happily, most of that code is already written.

If you wrote them, they are, but if you count on what existed in CWiF, I think that Collapse Vichy was not included in CWiF, as all conquest & surrender steps.

There is a lot of code related to Collapsing Vichy, whether it is all linked together to function correctly, I haven't checked out.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 819
RE: When? - 12/1/2008 6:15:25 PM   
lomyrin

The CWiF Vichy implementation has some errors and problems.

Lars

Post #: 820
RE: When? - 12/1/2008 6:23:38 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: lomyrin

The CWiF Vichy implementation has some errors and problems.

Lars

I used to "do Vichy" manualy using the debug tools, when I was testing CWiF, that is to change the control of the countries & hexes manually, and add or remove the units manualy.

(in reply to lomyrin)
Post #: 821
RE: When? - 12/1/2008 8:14:53 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I have done some patching of the Vichy code. In particular, I have checked the sequence of events when Vichy is created, inserted Digressions to handled the various movement of units around on the map, and double checked which major powers get which Vichy countries. All of this needs to be tested thoroughly, but I have gone through it in detail and inserted comments everywhere - so it should be easy to debug if there are problems.

(in reply to lomyrin)
Post #: 822
RE: When? - 12/2/2008 3:01:30 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

MWIF Game Engine
• Roll the dice for HQ support (not really a subphase, but it gets done first thing here),
• LCRspDefSnowUnits,
• LCRspAttSnowUnits,
• LCRspChooseCombatType,
• LCRspConvertShattered,
• LCRspAssignLosses,
• LCRspRetreats, and

So, then do you exercise your option to decline Engineer ability earlier on, when you announce the attack?

Paul

Post #: 823
RE: When? - 12/2/2008 8:50:50 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

MWIF Game Engine
• LCRspDefSnowUnits,
• LCRspAttSnowUnits,
• LCRspChooseCombatType,
• LCRspConvertShattered,
• LCRspAssignLosses,
• LCRspRetreats, and

So, then do you exercise your option to decline Engineer ability earlier on, when you announce the attack?

Engineer bonus is only active if the player requests it during the land combat declaration phase. The player has to be proactive to make that happen. Since the player has to click on the unit and 'move' it into the attacked hex, it isn't too much to also require him to activate the engineer bonus at the same time.

Steve

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 824
RE: When? - 12/2/2008 7:53:30 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

MWIF Game Engine
• LCRspDefSnowUnits,
• LCRspAttSnowUnits,
• LCRspChooseCombatType,
• LCRspConvertShattered,
• LCRspAssignLosses,
• LCRspRetreats, and

Engineer bonus is only active if the player requests it during the land combat declaration phase. The player has to be proactive to make that happen. Since the player has to click on the unit and 'move' it into the attacked hex, it isn't too much to also require him to activate the engineer bonus at the same time.

Sounds fine to me!

Paul

Post #: 825
RE: When? - 12/3/2008 10:22:44 PM   
Petracelli69

Steve

Keep up thee good work and really looking forward to this being released.

regards

Phil

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 826
RE: When? - 12/14/2008 6:14:23 AM   
MilRevKo

OK, I just have to ask agin, is there an estimated time of devlivery?

And, yes, I was a beta tester in 1999 so, I have patience...

Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes -Publilius Syrus

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 827
RE: When? - 12/14/2008 7:47:53 AM   
michaelbaldur

quote:

ORIGINAL: MilRevKo

OK, I just have to ask agin, is there an estimated time of devlivery?

And, yes, I was a beta tester in 1999 so, I have patience...

December 1, 2008 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Accomplishments of November

Project Management
Current planned release date for MWIF product 1 is late April 2009.

< Message edited by michaelbaldur -- 12/14/2008 7:48:36 AM >

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com

(in reply to MilRevKo)
Post #: 828
RE: When? - 12/15/2008 8:30:15 AM   
werwolf

Oh....it's simply.......... it will be ready when it will be ready............

(in reply to MilRevKo)
Post #: 829
RE: When? - 12/15/2008 8:13:56 PM   
Jagdtiger14

werewolf...I suggest you read post #13 at the "just get it right" thread. Looks like it will be sold before its "ready"....so its not so "simply" as you say. Funny the programmer would post that on "just get it right"...I guess it wont be right after all!

wfzimmerman has it correct in his post #40 on that thread. Its incredible that this trial balloon would be floated past anyone other than a few insiders...very bad move...I guess things are not going well?...not a bad guess when the date keeps moving back.

Can you say EiA??? Prospective EiA buyers were pushing the programer to release it early there too when the date kept moving backwards. Look what they got.

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to werwolf)
Post #: 830
RE: When? - 12/17/2008 9:56:37 PM   
jarlgeir

Just do it right, we dont mind waiting.
As I dont need to enlarge my collection of buggy, unplayable PC games

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 831
RE: When? - 12/27/2008 8:57:57 AM   
bredsjomagnus

Its almost only two turns left (J/F, M/A) until the current planned release date!! If we also, on top of that, get some bad weather that reduces the impulses... Yihaaa!

(in reply to jarlgeir)
Post #: 832
RE: When? - 12/30/2008 1:27:28 AM   
panzers

Been a while since I have been on here because I have had major computer issues for a solid 9 months now. But I think I have everything back to normal, finally. Anyway, the reason why I am replying is that on the WiF yahoo site, there has been a lot of people of late complaining about your performance up to date, Steve. I have made every attempt to squash all the crap that everyone has been complaining about. For the most part, all of us here that participate in this forum know that this is the real deal and it is going to happen whether it be March, April, May, or even if it happens to take longer than that. We, in here are all intelligent enough to know what an undertaking it is to accomplish this thing. It doesn't take a computer science major to figure that one out. So I have taken the liberty to tell everyone in there that all they have to do is look at this particular forum and your monthly updates, and, for the most part, the ones that bothered to look shut their pieholes. So, I'm still with you, Steve, and I will believe in your work to the bitter end.
P.s. It's good to be back on.

(in reply to bredsjomagnus)
Post #: 833
RE: When? - 1/1/2009 9:28:51 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

January 1, 2009 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

As I did for the last two January’s, here is a year in review rather than a monthly report.
Accomplishments of 2008

Map
At the start of 2008 the map was done except for touch-ups. Patrice has maintained his interest in the map, and continued his work to improve its accuracy, information, and aesthetics. As always, dozens of forum members contributed to this effort. The map, she be done.

Units
At the start of 2008 we had finalized all the bitmaps for individually named units and for anonymous units. More text descriptions for individual land and naval units were completed during the year and Andy Johnson reviewed and revised all 1200+ writeups for the air units. At this point I am happy with the writeups we have, though some units still have no text at all. The unit writeups are a gloss for the game and not essential for playing it, so the game will be released even if they remain incomplete.

In the spring of 2008 I wrote a utility program to compress the unit bitmaps. That saves time when starting a game, new or saved, and reduces the demand for Windows bitmap resources. The units, they be done.

Scenarios
The data for setting up all 11 scenarios is complete, including all the new unit types (added since CWIF). The setups have been tested quite a lot by the beta testers, and I haven’t received reports of problems concerning the scenario data for months now.

However, I did not make any progress on the 3 scenario items that were on my task list at the beginning of 2008: (1) adding a special subphase post-setup for placing partisan units on the map behind enemy lines, (2) placing units in and taking units out of the Transfer Pool during play for the 2 half-map scenarios, and (3) the special production rules for those same 2 scenarios.

CWIF Conversion
I redid the internal processing sequence for land combat resolution and the forms used during that phase. In so doing I created a series of subphases for land combat resolution. This identified some areas of confusion in the Rules as Written, and let me clarify the order in which events should occur when all the different optional rules are in use. I merged two older forms into one and structured the land combat resolution form to match the air-to-air combat form. The latter also received a lot of my attention during 2008, though not as much as the land combat resolution form.

Game Interface
I completely revamped the main form, giving it a smaller footprint on the main screen, while simultaneously adding a unit data panel. The benefit of having the unit data panel in the main form is that several other forms no longer needed their own unit data panel. Specifically, the setup tray became much smaller. This solved a major complaint from the beta testers with smallish screens that too little of the detailed map was visible during setup, because of the room required for other forms (e.g., main form and setup tray). Other changes to the main form included reorganizing the layout for the buttons, flags (one for each major power in the game), and status information.

I made the flags look different when the major power has nothing to do in the phase. Then, for each little panel of status information, I added a pop-up help message when you click on the panel. For instance, when you click on the current weather, you get the weather report, describing what the current weather is in each of weather zones and what the probabilities are for the upcoming weather in each weather a zone. When you click on the terrain type, you see the help screen describing the different terrain types and their effect on movement and combat.

I did a lot of work improving Flyouts and that is now the primary tool for selecting units from within a hex that contains a lot of units. Using Flyouts, you can scroll through all the units in a hex, viewing up to 9 of them at a time. To make loading units onto naval transports simpler, I modified the processing of mouse clicks so that can now be done using the Flyouts form.

I added a Sequence of Play form in 2008. This displays the sequence of play, identifying the current phase/subphase. It does not show the entire sequence of play since that would take up too much room. But included in the presentation of the current phase/subphase is a clear indication of the phases/subphases that have just been completed and those that are coming up next. One of the motivations of adding this form was to help me debug when the sequence of play wasn’t executing properly. Of course, new WIF players (and there are some of those on the beta test team) find this helpful for learning the sequence of play.

I added a form for Selectable Units which is very useful for moving air units. It also comes in handy in a dozen or more other phases, where only a limited number of units are available for selection. By having a list of the units that can move in a phase displayed in the upper left corner of the screen, players can quickly see what might be done in a phase. Using the form is easy: click to the right of the unit and the map is centered on the unit. Click on the unit itself, and it is just as if you had placed the cursor over the unit on the map and picked it up with a left click. Together with the Flyouts, the Selectable Units form has made finding, picking up, and moving units less cumbersome.

I merged the two forms that reported the weather into one, which now shows both the current weather and the probabilities for the upcoming weather. I created an optional rules form which displays: all the optional rules, which ones are in use for the current game, and easy access to a help message for each optional rule (which describes the optional rule in full). To improve the players’ understanding of the factories and resources they control, I substantially overhauled the Resources-Production form. It now presents information on factories, resources, oil, oil usage, production points, and build points clearly and concisely.

In general, I reviewed and improved all 100+ forms again, with the most common improvement being to make the units appear larger when a list of them are displayed in a form. That happens a lot; in 50+ forms I would guess. The larger images make it easier to understand what units are under consideration, say when required to take a naval combat loss.

I still need to do more work on the Naval Review Details and Summary forms. I did a lot of work on them early in the year but stopped around the start of summer. I need to clean up a dozen bugs or so reported by the beta testers when they put those two forms to practical use. In addition I want to create a little Units Destinations form to go with the Selectable Units form. The idea is to be able to click on a unit in the Selectable Units form and have a list of possible destinations popup. For example, you could see all the hexes where a strategic bomber would have a viable target.

MWIF Game Engine
I went through all the phases, subphases, and sub-subphases in the game and gave each phase its own module (i.e., Pascal file). There are 63 phases, 72 subphases, and 10 sub-subphases. I also created an entirely new way of handling the game events that branch out of the normal sequence of play, which I named digressions. There are 8 types of digressions in the game and they are called from the normal sequence of play in 50+ places.

For example, digressions cover the task of asking a player who has just lost a unit whether he wants to scrap it or not. They also handle the task of rebasing units that are overrun, and relocating units that are ‘teleported’ according to the rules (e.g., when a country is conquered, units belonging to a neutral major power are ‘placed’ in the nearest friendly hex). When digressions occur, it is often a major power on the non-phasing side that makes the decision.

By writing the code so the current decisions makers are saved and then restored once the digression is completed, the program never has to change the phase (or subphase) of the game. CWIF had many artificial phases to deal with this situation and then needed additional logic do cope with the restoring the phase. MWIF uses digressions to do the same work, never changing the phase until it is time to go onto the next phase in the sequence of play.

Processing naval interceptions, was one of my primary motivations for creating digressions, since naval interceptions can be recursive. From my perspective, digressions are wonderful because the phases and subphases in the sequence of play now just chug right along, going down the line with the only loop-backs occurring for multiple impulses in a turn and multiple turns in the game. I think this will make the sequence of play easier for new players to understand and learn.

I am finishing up writing the code for the last 2 phase modules, (the two naval combat phases), and I have 3 more digressions to implement fully: naval interception, correcting overstacking, and collapsing Vichy France. Once I have those done, the sequence of play code will be precisely the way I want it. That will enable me to insert the necessary changes to support PBEM easily.

Saved Games
All the code for saving and restoring games is functioning and I have added the ability to restore games that were saved using an earlier version of the program. This is a vital feature for the final release, so if there are any patches after publication, players will still be able to continue playing games they saved using an earlier version of the program. There undoubtedly will be more changes to the saved games format over time, but those are very straightforward to code and should be no problem.

Internet - NetPlay
I personally wrote the technical NetPlay code for use in MWIF games over the Internet. So far this is only a stand alone test program, but it is in the same language as MWIF (Delphi/Pascal) and will slip right into the main program as a module. This test program will also be included in the final release of MWIF as a stand alone program, so players can test setting up communications over internet with their friends without having to fire up the main MWIF program. That should help get IP addresses and security problems ironed out quickly.

PBEM
I looked at writing technical code comparable to that for NetPlay for sending and receiving email from within MWIF for PBEM play. Based on what I read, that should be easy to do - much easier than implementing internet communications.

Artificial Intelligence Opponent (AIO)
With substantial assistance from Peter, I finished documenting the Language for an Artificial Intelligence Opponent (LAIO). This document serves as the specification for writing the LAIO parser, which I have begun coding. Peter and I worked hard on figuring out how to write viable scripts in LAIO for setting up minor country units. As is typical when doing this work, possible solutions come and go and after trying to write actual scripts, a functional solution evolves. We have now done that and I have 3 sample scripts to use for developing the parser. That is, I have setup scripts written in LAIO for Persia, Afghanistan, and The Netherlands, which I will use to debug the parser.

Throughout last year I would periodically go over the strategic plans I had written for each of the 8 major powers and the other descriptions I have put down on paper for how the AIO will make decisions that are common to all major powers. Choosing the action type for an impulse, for example, will be just one script; there won’t be a separate script for each major power to figure out how to make that decision. Declaring war on minor countries is the opposite. Included in each major power’s strategic plan is how that major power will decide if and when to declare war on minor countries.

All the Picture and Text tutorials are completed. Besides the sequence of play form mentioned above, there are now menu items on the drop down Help menu for accessing: RAC, Terrain Help, Units Symbols and Numbers Help, and the Picture and Text Tutorials.

None of the interactive tutorials have been started yet. However, I have several pages of notes describing what material will be included in each tutorial. Part of the reason I am holding off on this is that the interactive tutorials will all use saved games as a starting point. When the player starts an interactive tutorial, the program will load a saved game and then ‘coach’ the player to go through a series of actions using the mouse and keyboard. The idea is that the only way to really learn how to use a player interface is to actually USE the player interface. I expect to do one of the interactive tutorials in February just so I can work through all the little problems that are certain to come up. If I can get one of them finished, then the others should follow quickly. Indeed, I am hoping that some of the beta testers will be able to help out with setting up the saved games and critiquing the coaching commentary I’ll be writing.

The only thing remaining to complete the in-game help system is writing a help message for each of the 100+ forms. Only 12 of those have been completed. As noted below, most of the text for these has already been written: it is embedded in RAC.

Player’s Manual
I completed RAC (Rules as Coded), which is taken directly from RAW (Rules as Written) and uses 98% of the text from RAW. RAC is the backbone of the MWIF documentation and the Player’s Manual contains innumerable references to it. With the help of Patrice Forno, Harry Rowland, and others, RAW received massive clarifications and corrections this year (360+ entries). Australian Design Group also released a 2008 Annual which contained a section on errata for WIF. Both of those sources of changes to RAW were incorporated into RAC and will be implemented in the final release of MWIF product 1.

During the summer I worked with Erik Rutins at Matrix Games and the person he assigned to edit and otherwise prepare the MWIF Player’s Manual for printing. We have agreed on the Table of Contents, following the general style guidelines that Matrix Games uses for its games. However, the size of the MWIF Player’s Manual is enormous compared to other games they have published, so Erik made arrangements with their printer to split the documentation for MWIF into two booklets of roughly equal size: 300+ double sided pages, 5" by 7" . For reference, RAC is 152 pages using 8.5" by 11" single sided pages. I expect the Player’s Manual to be about the same length as RAC. Both documents will be included as PDF files with the released product, so if players want to, they can print it out themselves on whatever size paper they prefer.

I also made a trial run of sending the MWIF documentation in WordPerfect format to Matrix and they were able to process it cleanly. Once I finish writing it, they should have no trouble editing it and printing it.

I wrote some more text for the Player’s Manual during the year, putting in a bunch of the odds ‘n ends parts, like the preface and list of appendices. More substantially, I have been writing a new section I added in December, which goes through the sequence of play. The new Sequence of Play section gives a light overview for each of the phases, subphases, sub-subphases, and digressions. It mainly discusses what happens during the ‘phase’, who makes decisions, and when the phase is over.

In the summer, I started work on the help messages that can be called up for each of the 100+ forms in the game. 75% of the text for each help message is taken directly from RAC. The other 25% discusses the form’s components, such as buttons, and how to use the form when you are making a decision, or looking for information about the current game. Happily, each write up for a help message can be transferred, almost verbatim, into the Player’s Manual Section 8, which describes all the forms.

Hardware and Software
I never got around to upgrading to Theme Engine 2007, primarily because I am not seeing a lot of problems running MWIF under Vista. Although, if you have a Vista computer, MWIF currently needs to be run under XP emulation. I expect to install the Theme Engine upgrade before the final release, more as a precautionary step than an essential one.

Beta Testing
I released 31 new versions of the program to the beta testers during 2008. The version numbers ran from 06.00 through 11.06. That is somewhat more than one new version every two weeks. I would have preferred to average one per week, but 31 isn’t too shabby a number.

My next bug report will be numbered 1055 and I have 212 currently active. Things aren’t that bad though, since I can fix about 10 bugs a day when I focus my attention on them. And this doesn’t count the easy bugs that the beta testers find, that I fix immediately upon reading the bug report (i.e., in less than 5 minutes). Those bugs never even get a number assigned.

I have kept the number of beta testers at ~30 during 2008 and will increase that to 40 in January 2209. [I’ll post a request for applicants in the forum once I get version 12.00 uploaded for beta testing.] Presently things are running smoothly, with the beta testers providing me with enough details for me to find and fix bugs quickly. It wasn’t always that way, and when we add the next batch of new beta testers, I expect there to be a few bumps in the road.

Robert Nebel and Jimm have developed a fearsome set of Test Scripts to make sure MWIF performs in accordance with the Rules as Written for WIF FE. Those have all been parceled out to the beta testers, though I do not believe the beta testers are being as rigorous in testing the rules they have signed up for as I would wish; though I could be mistaken - and I hope that I am.

Project Management
I updated my detailed project plan monthly and expect to finish MWIF product 1 this spring. I monitored all the threads in the MWIF World in Flames forum daily, generated weekly status reports for David Heath and Erik Rutkins at Matrix, and posted monthly status reports to the forum on or around the first of every month. Personally, I try to answer every question posted in the forums, sent to me as a forum PM (personal message), or sent via email. I do read everything, and I endeavor to assimilate and accommodate different viewpoints and opinions into MWIF.

Communications
People with whom I had extensive communication during the year were: Patrice Forno and Peter Skoglund. At different times of the year I worked closely with Andi Johnson, Jesper Pehrson, and Robert Nebel. I had little or no direct contact with Chris Marinacci and Harry Rowland. The beta testers posted and sent bugs reports and oftentimes included copies of saved games so I could quickly recreate the problems they encountered.

Because this is a volunteer group, people come and go as other demands are placed on their time and their interest in MWIF waxes and wanes. I’ll repeat myself by stating that I can not say enough about how appreciative I am for the wonderful contributions made to MWIF by so many from such diverse backgrounds.

To all, I say thank you for your help on MWIF in 2008.

Tasks for 2009

Finish MWIF product 1 this spring.

Steve

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 834
RE: When? - 1/1/2009 11:10:51 AM   
Joshuatree

"I have kept the number of beta testers at ~30 during 2008 and will increase that to 40 in January 2209.'"

2209?

Blimey ;-)

Thanks for the good work and the updates. Be looking forward to this one.

Post #: 835
RE: When? - 1/1/2009 4:24:42 PM   
Grapeshot Bob

Erased.

GSB

< Message edited by Grapeshot Bob -- 1/1/2009 4:32:01 PM >

Post #: 836
RE: When? - 1/1/2009 6:26:16 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joshuatree

"I have kept the number of beta testers at ~30 during 2008 and will increase that to 40 in January 2209.'"

2209?

Blimey ;-)

Thanks for the good work and the updates. Be looking forward to this one.

As I often say, "Perfection is an elusive goal."

Steve

(in reply to Joshuatree)
Post #: 837
RE: When? - 1/1/2009 8:00:19 PM   
HansHafen

Good work dude. I honestly didn't think a workable AI could be possible for such a sophisticated wargame, but now I am getting excited it might be! This game will lead to tall grass in my yard for weeks, stinky trash stacked to the ceiling in my house and probably a divorce petition from my wife, not to mention loss of my job and a lower water bill from the lack of showers I will be taking! Woooohoooo!

Post #: 838
RE: When? - 1/5/2009 9:35:31 PM   
panzers

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansHafen

Good work dude. I honestly didn't think a workable AI could be possible for such a sophisticated wargame, but now I am getting excited it might be! This game will lead to tall grass in my yard for weeks, stinky trash stacked to the ceiling in my house and probably a divorce petition from my wife, not to mention loss of my job and a lower water bill from the lack of showers I will be taking! Woooohoooo!

Now that's my kind of wargamer. But, EWWWWW!

(in reply to HansHafen)
Post #: 839
RE: When? - 1/11/2009 10:47:11 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

(Sounds like my life as it is already.)

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 840
Page:   <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: When? Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI