Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

house rules of single player?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> house rules of single player? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
house rules of single player? - 8/2/2005 2:10:31 AM   
cato13

what house rules do people use when playing the AI to make for a bigger challenge?
Post #: 1
RE: house rules of single player? - 8/2/2005 2:12:54 AM   
Zigfreid

I pretend I'm stupid.
Oh wait, my wife says I'm not pretending..................Bitch.

(in reply to cato13)
Post #: 2
RE: house rules of single player? - 8/2/2005 2:23:14 AM   
scott64

I don't know what I am doing half the time anyways.

Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Zigfreid)
Post #: 3
RE: house rules of single player? - 8/2/2005 2:30:01 AM   
cato13

is the AI that bad?

(in reply to scott64)
Post #: 4
RE: house rules of single player? - 8/2/2005 2:41:27 AM   
Arkan

I think the most important thing is to pretend that the AI is clever. Against the AI you can send every single Indian unit into Burma and get away with it. Every PBEM player would just invade all of India and say "thank you". So by pretending that the AI is clever enough to spot your weaknesses you keep garrisons in 2nd line and rear area bases and you should have a good game.

(in reply to cato13)
Post #: 5
RE: house rules of single player? - 8/2/2005 3:09:13 AM   
1275psi

These work for me:

All bases must be garrisoned
In big letters on the side of my computer:

15 prep points before moving from one friendly base to another
25 prep points before moving to unoccupied friendly dot or base (ie moving to un occupied island)
50 prep points before invading enemy islands, or conducting attacks against a city.

I also pay very close attention to HQs being with proper commands, and do not spend any political points on ground units -only on air units that must be evacuated.

Now I have to plan very carefully months ahead, and it does add greatly to the realism.
Finally -I play as if every ship and plane was my son -no throwing away units here!

(I also have a game going where i editted the AI to get 200 pilots a month -and put a thumping great oil field in japan -too early to tell the effect yet)

(in reply to Arkan)
Post #: 6
RE: house rules of single player? - 8/2/2005 3:58:06 AM   
Gem35

If I want to bomb Jap air bases, I cannot do so at under 25000 ft. and I cannot use more than 2 squadrons of B17's. No planes can upgrade to B-17's either.
I am a bit like `275psi in that I cannot invade a base unless my troops have at least 50 prep points. I do use PP's to move any units I wish but I have to keep every base I control occupied with at least one engineer and one infantry unit. So far I'm in may of 42 and I am having a good struggle with the AI, so far, although KB is weakening and I sunk soryu

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 7
RE: house rules of single player? - 8/2/2005 6:45:58 AM   
dpstafford

quote:

ORIGINAL: tonedog

what house rules do people use when playing the AI to make for a bigger challenge?

Don't you know that playing with yourself is linked to blindness (in mice)?!?

(in reply to cato13)
Post #: 8
RE: house rules of single player? - 8/2/2005 7:38:00 AM   
rockmedic109

No more than six ships in ASW task force.

No moving Land units from one area to another without paying the PP for them. More difficult in CHS.

Pre 1.5 I did not have four engine bombers on Naval Attack. That was supposed to be tweaked with 1.5.

Move slowly!!! Do not go after the unoccupied Guadalcanal in Jan 42. Make sure Noumea and Port Moresby are built up first. Same for other areas.

(in reply to cato13)
Post #: 9
RE: house rules of single player? - 8/2/2005 10:20:24 AM   
Twotribes

Ya, I prefer not to send ground units to the wrong areas with out first changing the command HQs. That will slow you down some, and I dont put more than 3 or 4 DD and 1 to 4 MSW in an asw force, try to stay at no more than 6 ships though if I wanna lose ships I send out 1 DD and a few MSW ).

In India I keep the border Guarded and the major cities near Burma. I do NOT launch an invasion on Burma in 42 as you simply dont have the assets to guard India and attack ( I assume the computer can flank me at sea, even if it wont)

I do try to save part of the air support units in the Singapore area, but never any of the ground troops. I also evacuate a few dutch base forces, but since I also try to move dutch forces to Java not a lot of PP for both. I do not evacuate Dutch ground units other than to else where in their territory. And I use up PP evacuateing Air assets from PI.

Havent played a lot lately and never gotten past May 42, but at that point it is pretty close to historical advance.

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 10
RE: house rules of single player? - 8/2/2005 2:08:43 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

Limit the number of ships that can (un)load at ports at the same time, depending on port size (I limit myself to five ships per port size point). Refueling from port only at port size 5 or bigger, in smaller port only from replenishment TFs - exceptions only for barges, PTs, PC types.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 11
RE: house rules of single player? - 8/2/2005 2:44:36 PM   
barnacle bob

quote:

(I also have a game going where i editted the AI to get 200 pilots a month -and put a thumping great oil field in japan -too early to tell the effect yet)

I'm doing something similar. More ships (the prewar earthquakes, collisions and other mishaps never happened and Japan cheated on it's treaty limits). More industry (Germany sends advisors to help with productivity). I added base forces, they should be delayed enough to give the AI time to capture the arrival areas. In UV the AI did a bad job of deploying base forces (IMO). A few more aircraft types and air groups. Hopefully the AI will take advantage of these changes.

It’s 15DEC41 in my new campaign and the Enterprise is at the bottom of the Pacific. She was sunk by a carrier task force returning from raiding Midway on 07DEC41.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 12
RE: house rules of single player? - 8/2/2005 3:36:09 PM   
Sardaukar

I don't need any restrictions. Maybe I'm a crappy player, but AI usually ends up with more or less historical gains in my game during 1942. I take the game more as simulation and not as game. My aim is not to win in 1943 or in 1944 but in 1945. I try different strategies to achieve that. So far WitP has been a great learning tool.

(in reply to barnacle bob)
Post #: 13
RE: house rules of single player? - 8/30/2006 12:33:03 AM   
bradfordkay

I'd like to resurrect this thread. The more I play WITP, the more limits I add to my play, in order to increase my enjoyment of the game. Various circumstances prevent me form PBEM, and so I have to slake my addiction against the AI. In order to truly enjoy these games, I have found that adjusting the way I play has made a huge difference.

I was an early follower of the theory that not jumping too far outside of a historical style of play prevents a total confusion of the AI. Many of my "house rules" were either stolen brazenly, or adapted, from posts on this forum. Since I believe that AI players still make up the majority of purchasers of this game (if not the active players), any help we can give each other will probably contribute to the continued upkeep of this game.

I know that there are a lot of you who will say that the AI stinks, and you can only get a real challenge from a human player. For the most part I agree with you. But there are many of us who do not have the time or situation to allow for PBEM play, and yet we love the game. So please don't turn this thread into another "forget the AI, play PBEM" thread and instead list what it is that you do to increase either the challenge or enjoyment of playing the game against the AI.

For me I have so many house rules that I probably won't remember to put them all in. But the following are some (with parenthetical reasoning on occasion):

No supply convoys on turn one of the grand campaign. For the first week no more than two transports in any supply convoy, bumped to five for the next two weeks. These rules are for the allies. After all, Japan should have planned for resupply of their invasions.

All units are set to replacements off. No replacements are accepted by any unit unless a supply TF has arrived within range from Japan, the US west coast or Karachi/Aden. This is relaxed slightly by allowing the occasional one or two plane "rebuild from spare/crashed carcasses" - but very rarely.

No aerial missions allowed on the turn of transfer, unless the transfer distance is four hours at cruise speed or less OR the target is between two bases within "attack loaded" transfer range. By this I mean double normal range. (This represents "shuttle" and "staged" aerial missions that were frequently used during the war but prevents the "impossible" missions).

No resupply of capital ships at small ports. Cruisers need a level 4 port and BBs and CVs need a level 6 port. (This rule has varied over the past two years - thoughts are welcome).

No overstacking airfields. Exceeding air support is okay, but not base size limitations.

The number of ships which can resupply each day in a port is limited. This is somewhat fluid, based on how many ops points are used in each TF that is replenishing". (A ten ship TF that used 1000 ops points to replenish will prevent any others from replenishing that day at a level 3 port - a five ship that only takes 200 ops points to replenish isn't anywhere near as big a drain on the port facilities).

I haven't taken a stand on restricting the numbers of LCUs, as that may guarantee the loss of certain bases to the AI, who does not play any house rules.

No bombing empty bases for experience gain. (The AI regularly violates this rule!)

No more than 6 PTs in any PT TF.

No more than 6 ASW vessels in any ASW TF.

No invasions with less that 30 preparation points (Guadalcanal was a fairly "rushed" operation).

After the initial SRA escapes, no transfer of units between commands without paying the PPs. (Some early game SEAsia command units end up in northern Australia as they retreat - PPs are paid later if they stay).

Before the latest CHS, I used to never transfer units from the West Coast command to combat commands. Now we have to.

4E bombers do not attack below 6000', unless the situation is dire. (Impending invasions of Singapore/Batavia/Soerbaja are the sort of "dire" circumstance that allows this - morale rules seem to prevent the exploitation of this in the early months).

Each AS can service no more than 2 subs per day, except for the opening days in Manila where the limit is four (I'm rationalizing this as saying that the subs already had their torpedoes and just needed other supplies).

Foce Z ALWAYS sails to contest the Malayan landings.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 14
RE: house rules of single player? - 9/1/2006 5:40:05 PM   
rockmedic109

I limit 4e with an 11k minimum alt. 2e to 9k.

Keeping rear areas garrisoned and not overstacking airfields is also a requirement.

Replacement for PI, Hong Kong, and Malaya are all off unless a transport shows up.

No resupply of USN Far East Fleet in Dutch ports unless a USN transport shows up. How would the Dutch have ammo for USN naval main guns?

No evacing cadres. Any evac of a unit must be a legit attempt to get the whole unit.

I think 1.802 took care of the need to have no more than 6 vessels in an ASW task force. I still hold to that limit, but I doubt it is needed anymore.

No evacing Dutch ships from DEI unless Java is about to go under. The allies need those APs, but why would the Dutch let them have them?

6 PT boat tf limit.

No supply missions of same airbase by bombers in order to train up crews.

I know I have more written down somewhere, but I've been up all night and my brain is fried and can't think straight.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 15
RE: house rules of single player? - 9/1/2006 6:58:02 PM   
Peter Fisla

This is easy, I'm still playing the first full campaign scenario; with most of the sectors under allied AI. I control PH, Port Moresby and all the carriers. Of course I control Supply ships as well but I leave the other areas for the AI. I also follow the historical order of events...lot's of fun it's early 1942 and the Japanese AI player is actually winning :)

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> house rules of single player? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI