Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MWIF Game Interface Design

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: MWIF Game Interface Design Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/30/2007 11:50:27 AM   
Norden_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

This is great. I assume, that the system will chek for speed and range for fleets (it has to, right?) and if thats the case, can it be shown somewhere right away on this screen?

Norden

Norden
---------------------------------------------------------------
Hexagonally challenged

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 931
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/30/2007 7:55:30 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Norden

quote:

This is great. I assume, that the system will chek for speed and range for fleets (it has to, right?) and if thats the case, can it be shown somewhere right away on this screen?

Norden

The blank box at the top is for summary information:

ship count ###
max move #
max range #
sum of air to sea ##
best air-to-air ##
sum of anti-air ##
sum of surface ###
average defense (best defense) #.# (#)
sum of bombardment ##
sum of ASW ##

There will also be text for each column header. The buttons will be the standard MWIF theme engine buttons when they are displayed (the development screen doesn't do that conversion).

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Norden_slith)
Post #: 932
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/31/2007 1:22:05 AM   
Jimm

Wow. A couple of days away from the PC and see how much progress is made!

The interface stuff is coming on well, I like the take on TFs and I think its a great idea to divorce it from the WiF idea and make it playability thing for MWif.

However....

Steve, I know you hate to go over old ground but can I just make one more plea about the borrowed/ captured ships- is there really no way that you can make them more like lend lease planes and make the majority of the counter the colour of the owning power- as per lend lease planes?

I refer below to the German owned Italian/french transports. Is no-one else confused by these?

quote:

Post #: 933
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/31/2007 1:29:02 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jimm
Steve, I know you hate to go over old ground but can I just make one more plea about the borrowed/ captured ships- is there really no way that you can make them more like lend lease planes and make the majority of the counter the colour of the owning power- as per lend lease planes?

I refer below to the German owned Italian/french transports. Is no-one else confused by these?

Well, I for one love them how they are in this screenshot.
If they were like lend leased planes, there would be people to believe they are lend leased.
They are great as they are, and are not confusing me a single second.
I also love the touch of color it gives to the game, looking like the original game.

(in reply to Jimm)
Post #: 934
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/31/2007 1:53:43 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Wow. A couple of days away from the PC and see how much progress is made!

The interface stuff is coming on well, I like the take on TFs and I think its a great idea to divorce it from the WiF idea and make it playability thing for MWif.

However....

quote:

Not really.

What you haven't seen yet are units being 'loaned' from one player to another. The unit doesn't actually change ownership in any WIF sense; it is just that another player 'moves' the unit during play. This will come up quite a bit with Germany-Italy (USSR & North Africa) and the US-CW (strategic bombing, convoys).

Loaned units will be shown with a thin colored line at the bottom of the unit (below the numbers) indicating who is responsible for moving the unit. Over the board this is a non-issue, but with the computer, who moves which units is strictly enforced - for pretty obvious reasons.

So, there is:
- the high colored portion of the counter for the new owner for captured naval units,
- the low colored stripe of the original owner for lend leased air units,
- the thin colored bottom of the controlling major power for loaned units.

I think the players will adjust to this very quickly. High color means new permanent owner. Low color means temporary controller.

Steve

(in reply to Jimm)
Post #: 935
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/31/2007 11:44:49 AM   
Jimm

My point is that the important thing to be able to identify at a glance is the controlling power, not the originator.

Post #: 936
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/31/2007 8:45:17 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

My point is that the important thing to be able to identify at a glance is the controlling power, not the originator.

I doubt there will be confusion. Captured naval units are almost always from conquered countries. Italy, in this example, no longer exists. MWIF also keeps the Axis units separate from the Allied in the sea areas, so which side captured (e.g., French or Italian) naval units belong to is clear, even when they are at sea.

Steve

(in reply to Jimm)
Post #: 937
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/31/2007 9:07:06 PM   
composer99

I find the captured naval units are pretty clear to me.

I think one thing that will really help in this regard is that you as the player will be informed when naval units are captured and then it goes into the repair pool for you to fix at your leisure.

But these are things you don't get from these screenshots.

~ Composer99

Post #: 938
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 10/31/2007 9:25:23 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

I find the captured naval units are pretty clear to me.

I think one thing that will really help in this regard is that you as the player will be informed when naval units are captured and then it goes into the repair pool for you to fix at your leisure.

But these are things you don't get from these screenshots.

If these informational messages don't already exist, they are easy to add.

Steve

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 939
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/1/2007 9:14:58 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Fever dreams - can't code but it's possible to think.

We have the flyouts for reviewing land and air units. The naval review form will do the same for naval units.

I am thinking of a double left click on an empty land hex bringing up the flyouts (right now it is any empty hex), and a double left click on an empty sea hex (i.e., not a sea area section box) doing the same for the naval review form.

Now the problem is that the naval review form willl fill half the screen (left or right) for players with the minimum size screen - 1024 by 768. Even for players with larger monitor(s) that will be a lot of room and will obscure a bunch of the map. Let's assume that the naval review form is always positioned in the same place; if a player moves it, then the next time he invokes it it will appear where he last placed it. So, you can depend on the NRF always appearing in a predictable location.

Situation: You are looking at Great Britain and want to review all the major ports. You zoom out to a low number (say Z2 or Z3) so you can see all the GB. You then scroll the map so GB is over to the right. Double click on an empty sea hex to invoke the NRF. If there are naval units in the sea area, then the NRF pops up on the left side of the screen showing all the units in that sea area. By scrolling the cursor to Portsmouth, the NRF will update with the units in that major port. And so on.

Does this seem feasible? How about if you want to look at two major ports (or a major port and a sea area) simultaneously? There is room to do that, though you wouldn't be able see any of the map unless you place one of the NRFs on top of the other. Should I make it possible to have unlimited NRFs active at one time? The detailed maps are already coded like that so its no big deal.

How will you want to use the NRF? What actions would you want to be able to perform 'within' it?

Here's another idea. Say you set up 6 small detailed maps with each one focused on a sea area (in the Atlantic say) or a major port under consideration. [This might be useful in the Med too. Oh, and definitely in the Pacific!] You place all the detailed maps over on the right side of the screen, one under the other, so it is like a list of map locations. Now the NRF can be invoked to appear on the left side of the screen. By placing the cursor over each detailed map in turn you can review the naval units in each sea area/port.

I have already set up a Screen Layout system so you can design these layouts of detailed maps et al once and save them for use whenever you need them. Switching between screen layouts requires only a single mouse click.

Anyway, my goal is to make playing the naval side of MWIF as interesting/easy/exciting as the large land battles. Your advice would be a help.

Steve

Post #: 940
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/1/2007 10:26:10 PM   
brian brian

well I think it helps to play with a clock and force players to quit counting up all the factors to maximize each table decision and on and on...this is what makes the naval part of the game drag. just put 2, 4, 7, 11 or 15 ships in a box and get on with it. if your facing enemy air, send the ones with better AA. if you need shore bombardment, send the BBs. the amount you gain by designing the 'perfect' task force is probably lost in the ill-will you gather from your opponents, unless they are the same factor-counter type, in which case your game is going to last two years anyway. and after the game is over, no one is gonna care what the name of the CL that was damaged on the 9th impulse of Jul/Aug 42 in the Bismarck Sea was. so MWiF will be perfect for these players.

I will try and think of ways to help you though Steve, just thinking out loud.

Post #: 941
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/4/2007 6:11:26 PM   
brian brian

Have you started working on the form to spend surprise points? I think I probably play those wrong in that we let them be spent in perhaps a more piece-meal fashion than they perhaps should be by the rules. There is a definite sequence to working out the 'simultaneous' naval combat results and this ties in with surprise point decisions.

For reviewing the pieces on the map I think you've done a lot of good work. But with no background in any other computer game I can't say what people expect. It can be a little hard for the CW and US players to come back to a game after a week or a month and remember where parts of their fleets are and what you were thinking when you sent them there, but for everybody else its not that hard.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 942
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/4/2007 7:24:35 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

Have you started working on the form to spend surprise points? I think I probably play those wrong in that we let them be spent in perhaps a more piece-meal fashion than they perhaps should be by the rules. There is a definite sequence to working out the 'simultaneous' naval combat results and this ties in with surprise point decisions.

For reviewing the pieces on the map I think you've done a lot of good work. But with no background in any other computer game I can't say what people expect. It can be a little hard for the CW and US players to come back to a game after a week or a month and remember where parts of their fleets are and what you were thinking when you sent them there, but for everybody else its not that hard.

Surprise points and the numerous places in the sequence of play where they might be used is all intact from CWIF. I have spent some time upgrading that form to JEDI and Theme Engine components. I also increased the font sizes and tried in other ways to make the form easier to understand. Nonetheless, as you say, the rule is hard to master, and the player interface can only do so much to overcome the problem with its use being dispersed throughout the sequence of play.

====
So, I can take the US and CW as the extreme cases for naval review. Ok. I'll work from there. If I get the system to do those well, then the other major powers shouldn't have any problems.

Steve

Post #: 943
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/5/2007 8:17:01 AM   
brian brian

I'm just saying when we play ftf we're pretty casual about which side works out the naval combat results 1st, although there are definite rules on how that works.

And for naval units, it would be nice to toggle something ON to show unused lift only, maybe a certain highlight on a port at Zoom 1 or something, that is what enemy players end up searching the board for at times.

Post #: 944
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/11/2007 12:29:48 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here is my first real pass on the Naval Review form - the screen shot is from setting up Guadalcanal.

On the left is the flyout for Calcutta - there are no land or air units in the hex. Zoom 6.

In the center is the lower part of the Naval Review form - Zoom 5. This is the new piece.

On the right is the Unit Under Cursor form - Zoom 4.

I need to take the summary information from the Units Under Cursor form and reproduce it in the top part of the Naval Review form (not shown). I might also add the Lock function to the Naval Review form (e.g., small symbol in the lower right corner of the UUC form) so the player can manipulate individual units in the Naval Review form. It's not that important here but will be crucial in the Detailed Task Force form which will be a close clone of the Naval Review form. I believe what will be important for the NR form is the check boxes from the UUC form for Allied & Axis, so you can see one or the other or both.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 945
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/11/2007 1:15:03 PM   
Froonp

quote:

I need to take the summary information from the Units Under Cursor form and reproduce it in the top part of the Naval Review form (not shown). I might also add the Lock function to the Naval Review form (e.g., small symbol in the lower right corner of the UUC form) so the player can manipulate individual units in the Naval Review form. It's not that important here but will be crucial in the Detailed Task Force form which will be a close clone of the Naval Review form. I believe what will be important for the NR form is the check boxes from the UUC form for Allied & Axis, so you can see one or the other or both.

The NR form is the best to review Naval units. I say YES to your suggestion of having it lockable as the Unit in hex form. This is invaluable. I also say YES to the reproduction of the summary informations.

To improve it, I would wish for :
- It being resizable in height, so that if the TF is small (as in your screenshot), I can shorten its heigth.
- Why not having it zoomable from say, zooms levels 3 to 6 ? It will be at the expense of readability, but the player can prefer to see more ships in a large TF, and not caring of the names.
- It having filters for movement (is range necessary too ?) so that I can arrange the ships by speed, which is one of the main feature of ships who are in the same task force. It will be usefull to create task forces from a port.
- If a sea hex (not sea box) is hovered upon by the mouse, will it show all the ships at sea, independently of sea box section and side ? If yes, it needs to have the filters that the unit in hex form has.
- Maybe there is an information missing : is the unit disrupted or not ? But adding the little information light may eat too much room ? Note that this is the same for the flyouts, and I think this is not good overall that this information is absent.

This said, I like the "More units in hex" in the flyouts. If it is clicked does it have an effect ? Maybe it could call the Unit in hex form, if it is not yet displayed. If it is displayed, it could put it on the foreground.

About the unit in hex form's summary of informations, I would like its content to be replaced by the informations relative to the particular unit on which the mouse is hovering upon in the form when it is locked, if one is hovered upon. Do you see what I mean ? This should be the same in the NR form. To help understand what I mean, the information I talk about is shown when hovering a unit in the scrap screen or the unit in game form (who should have the "units in game" title rather thant simply "units" as it is called that way in the menu).

Also, about the eye candy things, would it be possible for the graphic artist to improve the look of the game's forms by, for example, adding fadded out (fadded out ? blanked out ? I'm not sure about the term. You see, so that the pictures are in the background, not overwhelming the datas) WWII pictures in the places that are left white in the forms ? The picture would cover all the white spaces's backgrounds in a single form, and have the form's structures, the units, the datas, standing out across it. Those pictures should be related to the form. Here in the NR form, we could see a fleet cruising at sea. In the Unit in hex form we would see an overall picture of a land unit in action (land units are the core of the game after all, everything else is here so that they gain ground), for example German Panzers advancing in Ukraine, you see ? I say that because I feel that the game lacks WWII imagery as of now.

Post #: 946
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/11/2007 1:22:28 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp
About the unit in hex form's summary of informations, I would like its content to be replaced by the informations relative to the particular unit on which the mouse is hovering upon in the form when it is locked, if one is hovered upon. Do you see what I mean ? This should be the same in the NR form. To help understand what I mean, the information I talk about is shown when hovering a unit in the scrap screen or the unit in game form (who should have the "units in game" title rather thant simply "units" as it is called that way in the menu).

Here is what I ask. It was present in the game last year, but as of now it has no more effect.
Lower left : whole stack informations
Upper right : ARM unit informations because ARM units have the mouse on it in the unit in hex form.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 947
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/11/2007 4:11:10 PM   
Jimm

re the naval form; is it necessary to have a separate column each for cruisers & Battleships as opposed to "SCS"?

Post #: 948
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/11/2007 4:33:24 PM   
Froonp

quote:

re the naval form; is it necessary to have a separate column each for cruisers & Battleships as opposed to "SCS"?

Personaly I think it is, as Cruisers give ASW (depending on options) for example and BB don't. Also, Cruisers are often used in different tasks, or roles, than BBs, so differenciating both is necessary for a good task force display IMO. Don't you separate Cruisers from BBs in your paper TF Display already ? I alsways did, I hope I'm not alone .

(in reply to Jimm)
Post #: 949
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/11/2007 7:12:07 PM   
Arron69

quote:

quote:

Personaly I think it is, as Cruisers give ASW (depending on options) for example and BB don't. Also, Cruisers are often used in different tasks, or roles, than BBs, so differenciating both is necessary for a good task force display IMO. Don't you separate Cruisers from BBs in your paper TF Display already ? I alsways did, I hope I'm not alone .

No, so did I. And I agree that it is important to have two rows.

Andi.

The winner of a battle may not be the one who wins the War.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 950
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/11/2007 8:02:27 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

In addition to what Patrice said, Battleships tend to be slower and more powerful than cruisers. If anything, I would like more columns not fewer (e.g., separating heavy crsuires from light crsuiers), but space limitations make that unattractive.

=========

I see a problem with showing non-naval units in port. If they are already on a naval unit, then no problem. But since cargo can be picked up at anytime before movement, it seems desireable to show all potential cargo units, even if they haven't been placed on a naval unit. This applies primarily to land units that can be used for invasions, but also comes up with carrier air units that have not been assigned a carrier and even land based aircraft which might be tranported to a different theater of operations.

The best I have come up with so far is to include them in the Transport column but have no naval units 'attached' to them. They would appear on the right side of the Transport column with an empty space to their left to indicate they have not been assigned.

Steve

(in reply to Jimm)
Post #: 951
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/11/2007 8:04:49 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Here is what I ask. It was present in the game last year, but as of now it has no more effect.
Lower left : whole stack informations
Upper right : ARM unit informations because ARM units have the mouse on it in the unit in hex form.

Yes, I'll restore this function. The code that performed the display of summary versus individual unit info in the unit data box wasn't very clear and in cleaning it up, I (tempoarily) removed this function.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 952
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/11/2007 8:22:59 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

The NR form is the best to review Naval units. I say YES to your suggestion of having it lockable as the Unit in hex form. This is invaluable. I also say YES to the reproduction of the summary informations.

To improve it, I would wish for :
- It being resizable in height, so that if the TF is small (as in your screenshot), I can shorten its heigth.
- Why not having it zoomable from say, zooms levels 3 to 6 ? It will be at the expense of readability, but the player can prefer to see more ships in a large TF, and not caring of the names.
- It having filters for movement (is range necessary too ?) so that I can arrange the ships by speed, which is one of the main feature of ships who are in the same task force. It will be usefull to create task forces from a port.
- If a sea hex (not sea box) is hovered upon by the mouse, will it show all the ships at sea, independently of sea box section and side ? If yes, it needs to have the filters that the unit in hex form has.
- Maybe there is an information missing : is the unit disrupted or not ? But adding the little information light may eat too much room ? Note that this is the same for the flyouts, and I think this is not good overall that this information is absent.

This said, I like the "More units in hex" in the flyouts. If it is clicked does it have an effect ? Maybe it could call the Unit in hex form, if it is not yet displayed. If it is displayed, it could put it on the foreground.

Also, about the eye candy things, would it be possible for the graphic artist to improve the look of the game's forms by, for example, adding fadded out (fadded out ? blanked out ? I'm not sure about the term. You see, so that the pictures are in the background, not overwhelming the datas) WWII pictures in the places that are left white in the forms ? The picture would cover all the white spaces's backgrounds in a single form, and have the form's structures, the units, the datas, standing out across it. Those pictures should be related to the form. Here in the NR form, we could see a fleet cruising at sea. In the Unit in hex form we would see an overall picture of a land unit in action (land units are the core of the game after all, everything else is here so that they gain ground), for example German Panzers advancing in Ukraine, you see ? I say that because I feel that the game lacks WWII imagery as of now.

Resizeable height - sure, both less and more units visible. Are you suggesting I make it 'automatic'?

Zoom level 3 doesn't strike me as reasonable, at that size units are very difficult to see, especially if you are trying to click on individual units and do something with them. I have put in code to accommodate Z4 through Z6, but for now I will stick with Z5 and only add more flexibility if it seems warranted.

Creating task forces is another form. It will be very similar, but I want to think of the Naval Review and Create TF functions as different and make specific forms for each. My main reson for this is that the NR form can be used for displaying enemy units while Create TF form can not. since they have to be different for that reason, then I think it will be a cleaner design if we restrict what can be done on each form to the form's intended purpose.

Yeah, disruption and other status indicators are missing (e.g., damaged). I begrudge the room for showing them though. Along the same lines, the section box for the units in a sea area are not shown (usually done in a text area under the unit). All this stuff (including zoom levels) could be made toggle switches and the form designed as a be-all-and-end-all for reviewing naval units. But that is a lot of work and I am unconvinced of the need. If placing the cursor over the unit shows the unit's information in the unit data panel, then all that information will be available. And the units under cursor panel does it as well. At this point my preference is to make the NR form more of a visual summary, rather than a detailed examination of each unit's particulars.

Clicking on More Units in Hex to achieve some effect is a good idea. I am not sure what should happen though. Perhaps the naval review form should be displayed?

Eye candy is not on my list of things to program. I am focused on designing for functionality - pretty much exclusively.

EDIT: I forgot to provide this answer. If the cursor is over a hex with naval units, then the units in the hex are shown; this is what happens if the cursor is over a sea area section box which contains units. If it is over an empty hex in a sea area, then all the units in the sea area are shown (regardless of section box). If it is over a land hex that contains units but no naval units, then the display is not updated.

Right now, the display remains visible as you move the mouse around, continuing to display what was in the last hex that had something to display. I am not sure whether to make the NR form disappear as soon as the cursor leaves the hex - that is how the Flyouts work. Having it disappear is good because then the whole map area become visible again and a new location (e.g., a port) can be selected. But it is also bad because it will flicker on and off as you peruse different ports. I'm just not sure which is better.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 11/11/2007 8:32:21 PM >

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 953
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/12/2007 2:29:35 PM   
Froonp

quote:

Eye candy is not on my list of things to program. I am focused on designing for functionality - pretty much exclusively.

Yes, but as I see from others Matrix Games, they generaly have some of what I described in them. Will Matrix handle that ? They may have pictures that are usables to enhance thier games.
Same for the music. I seem to remember that you said they had lots of sound effects & musics.

Post #: 954
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/12/2007 8:08:40 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Yes, but as I see from others Matrix Games, they generaly have some of what I described in them. Will Matrix handle that ? They may have pictures that are usables to enhance thier games.
Same for the music. I seem to remember that you said they had lots of sound effects & musics.

I still intend to add music, suond effects, and some historical film footage - drawing primarily from Matrix's library of such. If we see a need for more than that, I'll add some, but this will not be a dominant aspect of the game. The programming is rather easy to do, so the main task if figuring out when this stuff should happen and how many of each media type to include.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 955
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/13/2007 10:15:06 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here is my most recent pass at the Naval Review Details form.

I cut the number of units per column from 10 to 9. I needed the extra room at the top for all the buttons. If you have a larger monitor, you will be able to increase the vertical size of the form. As Patrice has suggested, the vertical height will be trimmed if there aren't enough units to require dsiplaying 9 units of height.

The form is wider than I want: 554 instead of 512. I don't see any place to squeeze out another 42 pixels though.

The title of the form shows the hex being reviewed. In this case it is Calcutta, India.

The summary statistics at the top are exactly the same as for other hex summaries.

I have yet to correctly position the units within the columns. For instance, each carrier air unit belongs to the right of the carrier it is on. The land unit should be on the right with a blank to its left indicating it doesn't have a transport.

The vertical scroll bars are missing from all 4 columns.
------------------
The check boxes at the right can be on or off. At least one of them will always be checked - the default will be Mine. The check boxes restrict what units are shown, and the summary statistics therewith. Checking Mine limits the units to just those controlled by the current major power (NOT the current player, who might control several major powers). Using the check boxes you can include enemy units in the display, which will be useful when examining sea areas.
------------------
The Ports and Sea Areas buttons lets you cycle through all the ports/sea areas which contain units. Again the check boxes will control this, so, for example, you can reveiw all the enemy ports.

Ppressing the Naval Summary button will display another form which summarizes the disposition of naval units, without showing the actual units. Bascially it is a list of ports and sea areas. Once I get this form pretty well defined, I'll start work on the Naval Review Summary. The idea is that you can bring them up side by side and by clicking on a port in the Naval Review Summary form, the actual units in the port will be displayed in the Naval Review Details form.
------------------
The Transfer Units button is for using this form in combination with a Task Forces form. That will let you define a task force within a port by selecting which units you want in the task force and by pressing Transfer Units, move them into the task force. The task force will reside in the port, so this is purely an 'administrative' move rather than an actual movement of naval units on the map.
==========
A pretty crowded form, but I think it will see a lot of use when playing the game.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 956
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/14/2007 1:00:02 AM   
Froonp

quote:

I cut the number of units per column from 10 to 9. I needed the extra room at the top for all the buttons. If you have a larger monitor, you will be able to increase the vertical size of the form. As Patrice has suggested, the vertical height will be trimmed if there aren't enough units to require dsiplaying 9 units of height.

The form is wider than I want: 554 instead of 512. I don't see any place to squeeze out another 42 pixels though.

Just a suggestion : Why not having a single vertical scroll bar for the whole form ? You would squeeze some space wouldn't you ?

quote:

The title of the form shows the hex being reviewed. In this case it is Calcutta, India.

The summary statistics at the top are exactly the same as for other hex summaries.

I have yet to correctly position the units within the columns. For instance, each carrier air unit belongs to the right of the carrier it is on. The land unit should be on the right with a blank to its left indicating it doesn't have a transport.

------------------
The check boxes at the right can be on or off. At least one of them will always be checked - the default will be Mine. The check boxes restrict what units are shown, and the summary statistics therewith. Checking Mine limits the units to just those controlled by the current major power (NOT the current player, who might control several major powers). Using the check boxes you can include enemy units in the display, which will be useful when examining sea areas.
------------------

I think that check boxes for the sea area sections are missing.

Post #: 957
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 11/14/2007 1:38:28 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Just a suggestion : Why not having a single vertical scroll bar for the whole form ? You would squeeze some space wouldn't you ?

quote:

------------------
------------------

I think that check boxes for the sea area sections are missing.

Well, I am tight on space for adding the sea area section boxes. My thought was that if the detailed map centers on the sea area, it would be easy enough to pass the cursor over each sea area section box in turn if you want to reveiw them individually. Moving the cursor to a non-section box in the sea area show all the units in the sea area.

One vertical scroll bar for multiple lists violates all sorts of fundamental design principles on using scroll bars. Besides, looking at the single example I've shown here, scrolling to see cruisers #10 and higher would have the effect of making all the other units disappear off the top of their lists. Not good.
=================
Something I didn't mention is that during setup the "First sea area" will be the setup tray, so a player can define a task force within the setup tray and then place it into which ever port/sea area he desires - within setup restrictions.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 958
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 12/14/2007 5:02:56 PM   
Toed

Having been offline for almost 3 months I'm now back and reading throught the threads now. So I hope you forgive this late idea about the 'flyout' feature. If someone already suggested this please ignore this.

Limiting the view to a maximum of 9 units is not a problem. The sorting order of the units is a small issue also but air/land first is preferable. However it would be nice if, while the flyout is displayed, you could use the mousewheel to scroll up and down in the flyout through all the units in the hex. Seems like the intuitive way to look through a stack on a computer. In my opinion there is no need for a scrollbar to show the presence of more units since you see the hex with the number of units displayed.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorachus99

How will the flyout look when there are 'many' naval units in the hex?  Perhaps units should be displayed : 

1) Air
2) Land
3) Naval (with the ninth unit shown as a task force marker for cases of 9+ ??)

I currently have an upper limit of 9 units. More than that and none are displayed.

One possibliity is to not show the naval and oil/build point units if there are more than 9 units total in a hex. That way you can see all the land and air units. The trick there is to not include units being transported by sea (e.g., carrier air units). Opinions?

(...)

Post #: 959
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 12/14/2007 6:57:01 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toed

Having been offline for almost 3 months I'm now back and reading throught the threads now. So I hope you forgive this late idea about the 'flyout' feature. If someone already suggested this please ignore this.

Limiting the view to a maximum of 9 units is not a problem. The sorting order of the units is a small issue also but air/land first is preferable. However it would be nice if, while the flyout is displayed, you could use the mousewheel to scroll up and down in the flyout through all the units in the hex. Seems like the intuitive way to look through a stack on a computer. In my opinion there is no need for a scrollbar to show the presence of more units since you see the hex with the number of units displayed.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorachus99

How will the flyout look when there are 'many' naval units in the hex?  Perhaps units should be displayed : 

1) Air
2) Land
3) Naval (with the ninth unit shown as a task force marker for cases of 9+ ??)

I currently have an upper limit of 9 units. More than that and none are displayed.

One possibliity is to not show the naval and oil/build point units if there are more than 9 units total in a hex. That way you can see all the land and air units. The trick there is to not include units being transported by sea (e.g., carrier air units). Opinions?

(...)

Demands on the mouse wheel are heavy.

It currently is used to scroll the map up/down, and left/right (when the shift key is down). There was a request for optionally using it to zoom in and out (I haven't decided about that).

Steve

(in reply to Toed)
Post #: 960
Page:   <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: MWIF Game Interface Design Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI