Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MWIF Game Interface Design

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: MWIF Game Interface Design Page: <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/4/2009 3:45:30 PM   
macgregor

I'm embarrassed to ask. but how does the game display flipped units?. I notice the little brown square above the piece too. Would anyone mind explaining me what that means?

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 1681
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/4/2009 6:53:37 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: macgregor

I'm embarrassed to ask. but how does the game display flipped units?. I notice the little brown square above the piece too. Would anyone mind explaining me what that means?

I have posted this screen shot before (June 2008), but doing so again doesn't hurt. This screen can be called up from the help menu during a game. The key point with status indicators is that if a unit has no status indicators 'lit', then it is "doing fine". The top 3 status indicators are the important ones:
1 - whether the unit can 'move' in the current phase/subphase; more generally, this is whether the unit can be 'selected', such as HQ units reorganizing other units - the HQs do not 'move' when they reorganize other units.
2 - whether the unit is disorganized ('flipped' in board game parlance).
3 - whether the unit is out of supply/isolated

Attachment (1)

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to macgregor)
Post #: 1682
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/4/2009 7:17:54 PM   
macgregor

Thanks Steve-

I had no idea that much info would be displayed -very nice!

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 1683
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/5/2009 6:18:31 AM   
csharpmao

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

When this screen shot was taken, the combat result was determined incorrectly. It should be a die roll of 4, modified to 19 (with a 67% chance of going to 20). The correct result is 2 attacker losses and 2 defender losses. And that was rolling a 4 as the sum of two 10-sided dice. 94% of the time the sum should be better than that.

EDIT: I show a lot of stuff in development - warts and all.

Hello,

You're saying there is 67% chance of going to 20, but if I'm referring to the correct version of the rules, the fractional odds option rounds to the next 10% in favour of the defender, so it would be 60% of going 20.
But maybe this has been decided to not round this number for MWif.

quote:

Option 41: (Fractional odds) Round to a whole number in favour of the defender, then work out how far to the next odds ratio you are. Round this in favour of the defender to the next 10%. Roll a die just before rolling the combat die (you could roll it with the combat die if you want), to see if you find the result on the lower odds or the higher odds. If you roll the percentage or less, you resolve it on the next higher odds, otherwise on the lower odds.

Post #: 1684
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/5/2009 8:27:52 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: csharpmao

quote:

When this screen shot was taken, the combat result was determined incorrectly. It should be a die roll of 4, modified to 19 (with a 67% chance of going to 20). The correct result is 2 attacker losses and 2 defender losses. And that was rolling a 4 as the sum of two 10-sided dice. 94% of the time the sum should be better than that.

Hello,

You're saying there is 67% chance of going to 20, but if I'm referring to the correct version of the rules, the fractional odds option rounds to the next 10% in favour of the defender, so it would be 60% of going 20.

quote:

Option 41: (Fractional odds) Round to a whole number in favour of the defender, then work out how far to the next odds ratio you are. Round this in favour of the defender to the next 10%. Roll a die just before rolling the combat die (you could roll it with the combat die if you want), to see if you find the result on the lower odds or the higher odds. If you roll the percentage or less, you resolve it on the next higher odds, otherwise on the lower odds.

MWIF rounds to the nearest 100th (why not?).

Steve

(in reply to csharpmao)
Post #: 1685
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/5/2009 10:58:25 AM   
csharpmao

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hello,

quote:

MWIF rounds to the nearest 100th (why not?).

It's not a problem for me. In fact, I prefer this solution.
I was just pointing a difference between RaW and RaC, and asking if it was on purpose or not.

Post #: 1686
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/5/2009 11:04:52 AM   
Froonp

quote:

It's not a problem for me. In fact, I prefer this solution.
I was just pointing a difference between RaW and RaC, and asking if it was on purpose or not.

I believe that RAW is that way because we guys are not computers, and we prefer to have it simple.
The computer can round to what decimal we decide in the same amount of time, and decide if the odds are passed or not. So let's have it the way RAC have it, it's no problem.

(in reply to csharpmao)
Post #: 1687
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/6/2009 8:31:50 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I don't think I have ever shown a screen shot where two monitors are visible. That is what I have, though I almost always restrict MWIF to just the left monitor and use the one on the right for examining the source code as I debug the program. Both of these monitors are 1280 by 1024.
===

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 1688
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/14/2009 7:26:07 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here is another dual monitor screen shot. I have been cleaning up the presentation of the Save Build Points form. Here Germany is saving 2 build points (don't you wish you opponent did this when you were playing the Allies?).

If you have limited screen real estate, the Save Build Point form by itself works pretty well. But if you have extra room, you can keep your primary detailed map in view. Notice the long list of Map Views. This enables the German player to jump around the map effortlessly. However, for saving build points, you can just click on a location and the form's insert map centers on that hex - the primary map only centers on the location if the check box is checked.

The beta testers have provided me with a full set of map views for all major powers for all scenarios, ~400 map views. I think of these as a "starter set" and I expect each player will change them to suit his personal preferences. But at least you won't start with an empty list of map views and be expected to figure them all out without any examples - [whcih is what the beta testers had to do].

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 1689
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/14/2009 8:14:37 PM   
composer99

I wouldn't be too pleased to see Germany saving build points. Means they're saving them for o-chits or something.

~ Composer99

Post #: 1690
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/15/2009 7:31:48 AM   
Greywolf

Hum, it just hit me but, if you consider their game impact aren't city name too big and ressource and factory icon too small ? are thoses final graphics or will they be adjusted back to their ancient shape ? The Oil is very blending in his surrounding I didnt even noticed it at first sight...

I suppose that as an option we can mod/substitute the .png .gif of the ressources or are they drawn on the map ?

Lt. Col. Ivan 'Greywolf' Kerensky

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 1691
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/15/2009 8:12:08 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greywolf

Hum, it just hit me but, if you consider their game impact aren't city name too big and ressource and factory icon too small ? are thoses final graphics or will they be adjusted back to their ancient shape ? The Oil is very blending in his surrounding I didnt even noticed it at first sight...

I suppose that as an option we can mod/substitute the .png .gif of the ressources or are they drawn on the map ?

Those are final graphics (from over 3 years ago).

Modifying the map graphics is what I consider part of a WIF design kit, which is not in my contract (indeed, it is expressly NOT in my contract).

You can toggle off the labels if you want to.

There are only so many pixels in each hex and there can be a lot of stuff in a hex. The problem is especially acute in coastal hexes where most of the hex is wet. Note that the labels are rarely contained within a hex.

Steve

(in reply to Greywolf)
Post #: 1692
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/25/2009 12:20:49 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I have just added all the Vichy subphases to the Sequence of play form. The French flag indicates the current place in the sequence of play.

The list on the left are the units that have to be placed in the closest French hex (either Free France or Vichy controlled. The major power that declared Vichy France (e.g., Germany) gets to place those units.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 1693
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/25/2009 9:48:03 PM   
Froonp

quote:

I have just added all the Vichy subphases to the Sequence of play form. The French flag indicates the current place in the sequence of play.

Fine.
But I wonder about the Vichy Production subphase. Vichy production is done, as all other productions, during the production phase. Is there a reason for it to be here ?

Post #: 1694
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/26/2009 12:17:52 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Fine.
But I wonder about the Vichy Production subphase. Vichy production is done, as all other productions, during the production phase. Is there a reason for it to be here ?

The label is poorly chosen. This is the processing (i.e., who goes where) of French units that were in Production at the time of Vichification.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 1695
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/29/2009 4:19:56 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I've just revised how the Vichy French air and naval units are shown. Because these use bitmapped images, I can't change the color behind the graphics for the air and naval units. Therefore, I have colored in the portion that does not use the bitmapped image. For the land units, there are no bitmapped images, so they are easy to do. The same is true for convoy units.

This isn't ideal, but it should be good enough for you to instantly know which units are Freen French and which are Vichy French.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 1696
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/29/2009 4:35:17 AM   
christo

quote:

I've just revised how the Vichy French air and naval units are shown. Because these use bitmapped images, I can't change the color behind the graphics for the air and naval units. Therefore, I have colored in the portion that does not use the bitmapped image. For the land units, there are no bitmapped images, so they are easy to do. The same is true for convoy units.

This isn't ideal, but it should be good enough for you to instantly know which units are Freen French and which are Vichy French.

Not too many battles involve the Vichy and so seems a good quick solution. Easy to tell the difference esp re land units.

Post #: 1697
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/29/2009 5:47:20 AM   
Froonp

quote:

I think that this is great. It shows them nicely.

Post #: 1698
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/29/2009 12:23:37 PM   
bredsjomagnus

I agree

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 1699
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/29/2009 10:40:06 PM   
Greywolf

Could you please post a screenshot with both Vichy and FF land unit on it please ? I am colorblind and I can easily see Vichy Air and Navy but I wanted to check for Land units.

(in reply to bredsjomagnus)
Post #: 1700
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/30/2009 1:04:09 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Could you please post a screenshot with both Vichy and FF land unit on it please ? I am colorblind and I can easily see Vichy Air and Navy but I wanted to check for Land units.

I have gone to some effort to make sure players who have trouble differenciating colors won't have difficulties. Let me know if you do, and I'll try to make adjustments.

Here is a composite screen shot of several major powers which have 'sortof' similar colors.

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to Greywolf)
Post #: 1701
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/30/2009 5:56:31 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

I have gone to some effort to make sure players who have trouble differenciating colors won't have difficulties. Let me know if you do, and I'll try to make adjustments.

Here is a composite screen shot of several major powers which have 'sortof' similar colors.

On the left part are German units to the north and Vichy units in Vichy France. And it is Italian uniits in Italy. In the right part are CW units in Egypt and France (Free) units in Syria (north).

Post #: 1702
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/30/2009 10:36:36 AM   
Greywolf

Ok, the reddish background of the Vichy France unit make them very noticable,

But the Vichy sub is not that much different from FF ones, they could use the blue strip to look like other vichy naval unit. Except you can do that because of the way the counters are made if I am right ?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1703
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/30/2009 5:59:34 PM   
Zorachus99

I think the coloring on the ships is best, the units & subs second best, the CVP confusing.

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to Greywolf)
Post #: 1704
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/30/2009 6:47:47 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorachus99

I think the coloring on the ships is best, the units & subs second best, the CVP confusing.

It is the bitmaps that make the air units hardest to modify. For instance, the bomber shown in the screen shot has it graphics image run almost all the way to the top of the counter. The carrier air unit shown is an exception for air units, where I could get away with placing a stripe across the top. But even most carrier air units have their graphic image intrude on the top 'area' of the counter, so that isn't a standard solution I can use.

I would like all the Vichy French units to have the solid coloring like the submarines and the land units. That would make them appear the same as any other countries units. It is only the bitmaps that prevent that.

Note that there is nothing in the rules about the Vichy French units that makes them in anyway Free French. I would like to have two separate and distinct colors for these two politically separate countries.

In the other places where I am using stripes, there is something about the units 'split' ownership in the rules, that means it is handled differently at different points in the sequence of play. The only rule particular to the Vichy French is that they might defect under certain circumstances, but that only applies to the land units, and if they do defect, they are simply removed from the game (i.e., they do NOT become Free French).

Steve

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 1705
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/30/2009 8:01:40 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

It has been a while since I presented an overview of the units. Since then, Matrix has increased the size of the screen shots I can upload, so I can show all 8 major powers at one time. This is a pretty good representation of the air and land units in the game.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 1706
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/30/2009 8:59:16 PM   
felixghost

Steve,
Thanks for that - they look awesome!

Scott

Post #: 1707
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/30/2009 10:06:47 PM   
Jaimainsoyyo

Steve you can feel proud of your work . I can´t wait until july 27th. 

(in reply to felixghost)
Post #: 1708
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/30/2009 10:12:25 PM   
Greywolf

Yes , they are great and easily spotted and indentified. No color trouble like in some others games. Only regret is that I would liked the CW with a bit darker blue but I think this could be related to my computer.

About the blued dot on the Flying Boat,I think it will be a trouble when implementing later expansion as the Air Nav factor will be colored. I liked the strip better but it will do :)

Kudos on your job, thoses are nice counters...

(in reply to felixghost)
Post #: 1709
RE: MWIF Game Interface Design - 5/31/2009 1:28:43 AM   
christo

quote:

It has been a while since I presented an overview of the units. Since then, Matrix has increased the size of the screen shots I can upload, so I can show all 8 major powers at one time. This is a pretty good representation of the air and land units in the game.

Steve

Is the 4-1 Athens garrison unit (as shown above) a CW or Greek unit ? At the moment it looks like it belongs in the CW force pool. Should it have a GRK (greek) or something similar identification?

Chris

Post #: 1710
Page:   <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: MWIF Game Interface Design Page: <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI