Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: SPWaW Technical Issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: SPWaW Technical Issues Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 12/31/2006 5:50:00 PM   
FlashfyreSP

quote:

ORIGINAL: teoleo

Hi, sorry for my english:

I have this problem:

the colour of the game is "strange".... I have tried all..... Help me

Could be your video drivers. The game uses a simplified palette of colors, and some of the newer video drivers don't support it.

(in reply to teoleo)
Post #: 61
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 1/1/2007 9:48:21 PM   
teoleo

i have reinstalled the old video  driver but the problem is the same

I have played the game for a long time without any problems...

I think the problem is something i have installed on my pc but i have tried to kill all the process with the task manager....

One question:  is possible to force the game in a windowed mode?

p.s. Sorry for the english

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 62
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 1/3/2007 9:37:31 PM   
teoleo

:O( I want to play this game but with this bug is impossible

(in reply to teoleo)
Post #: 63
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 1/9/2007 4:18:23 AM   
Gunter_Viezenz

Okey I have a technical issue. Is there widescreen support for SPWAW? I recently got a 19inch widescreen LCD and was I was wondering if there is widescreen support because the game is all stretched out.

(in reply to Tyrson)
Post #: 64
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 1/9/2007 7:10:12 AM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: teoleo

i have reinstalled the old video driver but the problem is the same

I have played the game for a long time without any problems...

I think the problem is something i have installed on my pc but i have tried to kill all the process with the task manager....

One question: is possible to force the game in a windowed mode?

p.s. Sorry for the english

Have you upgraded any anti virus stuff??
that happened to me, I went to a newer versio of my Anti Virus and that started happening to me.

(in reply to teoleo)
Post #: 65
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 1/9/2007 7:31:01 AM   
chief

I was playing around a few weeks back and I changed the battle.shp out and replaced it with an older version, and I had evrything fine except the colors were Physcidelic (wierd). I went back to correct version and everything was 4.0 (woops 4.0=OK). Have you been shifting versions ???? JUST A WAQ

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 66
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 1/9/2007 8:29:01 AM   
FlashfyreSP

No widescreen support. The game is hardwired for an 800x600 display (the original size of monitors back in the '90s).

(in reply to Gunter_Viezenz)
Post #: 67
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 4/23/2007 4:49:29 AM   
b_gordy

Hi, I have the same problem as teoleo. Nothing I have tried seems to fix this. I have the latest drivers for video (ATI Rage 128) and my anti virus is de-activated while I run it. I have even tried not loading AV on a restart. No help there. game loads ok, then after about 2 minits, everything goes to a sort of negative color version.

system is;
Intel celeron @ 1.3Ghz
ATI rage 128
gigabyte mainboard

well thats the basics anyway. Any suggestions other than whats posted? Any help would be appreciated. I'll keep working on it and if I come up with something I'll post that here too.

thanks

(in reply to teoleo)
Post #: 68
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 4/23/2007 5:47:14 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: b_gordy

Hi, I have the same problem as teoleo. Nothing I have tried seems to fix this. I have the latest drivers for video (ATI Rage 128) and my anti virus is de-activated while I run it. I have even tried not loading AV on a restart. No help there. game loads ok, then after about 2 minits, everything goes to a sort of negative color version.

system is;
Intel celeron @ 1.3Ghz
ATI rage 128
gigabyte mainboard

well thats the basics anyway. Any suggestions other than whats posted? Any help would be appreciated. I'll keep working on it and if I come up with something I'll post that here too.

thanks

You might not like it, but you MAY have to rollback your video driver to an older version. This is a common problem with newer NVidia drivers. For ATI, it could be a similar issue.

Look, many guys don't realize that the SPWaW code is old, and was specifically designed for the technology of its time. Many older games are in the same category. Oddly, the newest PC technology, in some ways, is TOO good. Retro-fitting for older software isn't always built in. This point is often overlooked.

(in reply to b_gordy)
Post #: 69
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 4/25/2007 3:31:56 PM   
WLBjork

If you're using XP or Vista and have colour problems, right click your launcher and select "Properties". Now go to the "Compatability" tab, and you can set it to run in 256 colours, which in my experience corrects colour problems.

Not had a proper play yet, but it seems to be running fine on my new mid/high-range machine with Vista.

Edit: Still got that minor problem with having to click in the artillery screen multiple times to see an effect.

< Message edited by WLBjork -- 4/26/2007 12:14:16 PM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 70
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 4/28/2007 4:26:33 PM   
NoX

Ok, sorry if this was posted here already, but if your game locks up from pressing the "Y" key you can also click on "Turn off advanced text services for this program" option. It stopped the game from crashing on my machine when pressign the "Y" key.

Btw. the bug started happening after I updated to the latest ATI drives, but since I want to play some newer games also I didnt want to roll back to old drives and found this solution to help. :)

Nox a.k.a Lahtinen

(in reply to WLBjork)
Post #: 71
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 4/28/2007 8:01:51 PM   
robot

Nox where do i find that advanced text service to turn off. I have the same problem of lockin up when I hit the y key accidently while targeting.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to NoX)
Post #: 72
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 4/28/2007 8:58:33 PM   
NoX

My humblest apologies. :( Firstly the option seems to be showing only on XP Pro not Home editon and secondly after a reboot spwaw is again crashing when I press the "Y" key even whit advanced text off.

I ques I got a little too exited and posted that fix too soon whit too little testing. X(

Nox a.k.a Lahtinen

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 73
Bailout Problem - 6/27/2007 4:48:31 AM   
vahauser

Has anybody experienced trying to bail out from a vehicle and instead of getting a crew all you get is an abandoned vehicle and the enemy Tank Toughness goes to 1636% ?

(in reply to NoX)
Post #: 74
RE: Bailout Problem - 6/27/2007 5:32:31 AM   
Goblin

I've experienced an hour of intense frustration pounding on enemy tanks to no avail (several times), yes. Dunno what caused the shifts to 1636%, since I do not bail crews at all, and don't play anywhere near the limit where a crew would bail after being hit, and there would be no unit slot available for it.

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 75
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 7/8/2007 5:29:43 PM   
Straticus

I have had a curious thing happen on my PC with Windows XP and on an older laptop with Windows 2000. The screen goes just goes blank in the middle of doing something. Usually it's during OP fire. If I hit enter it restores. Moving the mouse around restores that part of the map that was blank pixel-by-pixel. I did clean installs of 8.20 with 8.30 and 8.40 updates.

I know someone is going to say it's your video drivers but I can't keep rolling video drivers backward and forward. I don't play it that often but now it is just a hassle and I'm ready to chuck the game. Too bad it was enjoyable why it lasted and I appreciated all the hard work that went into expanding Steel Panthers to SPWAW.

I don't like the current RT games of tactical combat. Too much crap going on at once to really enjoy them and they are not really thinking games. They are more of a click-fest. SPWAW was a thinking game. That's what I apprectiated about it the most.

< Message edited by Legionaire -- 7/8/2007 5:31:19 PM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 76
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 7/8/2007 7:10:43 PM   
Alby

I had that problem and got rid of a bunch of stuff that was running in the background, that fixed it.

(in reply to Straticus)
Post #: 77
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 8/26/2007 10:00:25 AM   
StephanFH

One other issue with ATI, Nox. Did you download the drivers only or did you download the whole ATI Control suite. The ATI control suite is notorious all over the Internet for causing problems with all kinds of things. I run the latest (July, 07) drivers for a Radeon X1300 on an Athlon 64-bit 3.5 GHz machine with 1.5 Gig running XP SP2, and experience no problems with SPWaW at all.
You may not have to roll back your driver. Just do yourself a big favor and drive a stake through the heart of the ATI control panel. It's just sitting there burning cpu cycles. The only thing it can really be used for is to tweak the very highest-end of high-end 3D graphics algorithms. If you are enough of a geek to do that, you should probably solve this one on your own.

"the onset of Bayonets in the hands of the Valiant is irresistible..."
Gentleman Johnny Burgoyne

(in reply to NoX)
Post #: 78
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 8/26/2007 10:05:23 AM   
StephanFH

Robot,
You can find advanced text services under Control Panel/Date, Time, Etc./Regional and Language options. Why are you looking for it? You need to be cautious making changes there.

"the onset of Bayonets in the hands of the Valiant is irresistible..."
Gentleman Johnny Burgoyne

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 79
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 11/24/2007 11:06:21 PM   
Karnaaj

After a great long time away fromSPWAW, I return - to video-blackouts and CTDs.

Continuing blackouts (repeatedly redrawing, then blackout again) seem to be related to the ATI Remote Wonder task I had running. (Makes it a lot easier to adjust the volume or change tracks from across the room - the box in question is 24/7, and playing music is manditory for me. <G>) It still wants to blackout, but it comes back and generally stays good.

"Y"-CTDs, well. <insert much cursing here> My latest one was in reponse to "DO YOU WISH TO END THE TURN?"... only time it's happened so far, but it *was* at the end of a very good turn. <sigh>

Maybe someone needs to program a DOSbox-type program to make programs think they're running on a Pentium 3 with a GeForce3 or something? (Oh, wait. At the time I was running that hardware, when the game crashed, it would reset screen resolution too low to be able to adjust; it's the reason I ended up with the taskbar up at the top of the screen, so when the resolution was borked I'd at least be able to cleanly reboot...)

Back to the Eastern Front, and seeing what I can work aroud...

SP:WAW (http://www.matrixgames.com/Games/WorldAtWar/index.asp)
SP:MBT/SP:WW2 (http://linetap.com/www/drg/SPCamo.htm)
Combat Mission HQ (http://www.combatmission.com/)
G-o-D's Close Combat Links (http://home.wanadoo.nl/cclinks/)

(in reply to StephanFH)
Post #: 80
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 11/24/2007 11:49:27 PM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karnaaj

Continuing blackouts (repeatedly redrawing, then blackout again) seem to be related to the ATI Remote Wonder task I had running. (Makes it a lot easier to adjust the volume or change tracks from across the room - the box in question is 24/7, and playing music is manditory for me. <G>) It still wants to blackout, but it comes back and generally stays good.

You're running a background music-playing program while running SPWaW? Don't do that. SPWaW is a notorious memory hog. It demands your PC's full attention. Doesn't matter how much RAM you have -- SPWaW will suck up all of the resources it can. I don't dare try to run WMP or whatever in the background while playing the game. Think about this -- the game's sound FX demand unfettered use of your sound card.

(in reply to Karnaaj)
Post #: 81
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 11/25/2007 3:38:33 AM   
Goblin

I jam to CCR while playing all the time. Sometimes John Williams (Imperial March).

Goblin

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 82
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 11/25/2007 5:17:50 AM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin

I jam to CCR while playing all the time. Sometimes John Williams (Imperial March).

Goblin

I jam my fist into a picture of Goblin when i lose a tank..

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 83
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 11/25/2007 7:25:34 AM   
KG Erwin

Well, I love sound of flamethrowers and satchel charges, and the music of Iggy Pop & the Stooges. It's pretty much the same.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 84
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 11/26/2007 6:04:56 AM   
Karnaaj

Actually, waaay back when, WinAmp and SPWAW seemed to dislike each other more. Now, it's running fine - 2 gig of RAM does help, as does the Athlon64 3000+ (1.8 gHz). Throw enough resources at it, and even SPWAW will just happily sit bloating itself on the goodies. <heheheh>

Just checking now - with Supercharge (scen. ##... uhm, I forget <G>) running the preliminary bombardment, mech.exe is leeching 70-80% of the CPU, but it's not causing anything to delay or lag. (Only 17.688 meg of RAM, versus Firefox (8-14% CPU, 69.6 meg) or Winamp (2-8% CPU, 14 meg or so). It's also playing nice and giving back CPU when other programs want it. (Other tasks running: AVG antivirus, Trillian (instant messenger), Daemontools (virtual CD/DVD drives), VolumeLogic plugin for Winamp (on-the-fly automatic gain control), and a few other things. Like Task Manager. <G> 100% CPU in use, but only 569 meg or RAM.)

I suppose I could always try one of the (ancient) laptops, but the one with functioning WiFi needs some soldering on the power-plug connector. (Toshiba Satellite series - the $20 one is a Celeron 350, the free one is Celeron 400. Both have some horribly small amount of max RAM, and like unto 16 meg (or was that K?) of video RAM. Either way, WinSP:MBT was pretty sluggish.

Anyway, the only real problem now (for me, at least) is that bloody "Y" key. ("Y key, why? Y you so mean to me?") For which I'm not willing to roll drivers back and forth -  guess I'll just have to be careful.

Back to Supercharge... I think I've played this before, but I don't remember for sure. I know all those little tin-plated tanks are gonna get eaten pretty badly...

SP:WAW (http://www.matrixgames.com/Games/WorldAtWar/index.asp)
SP:MBT/SP:WW2 (http://linetap.com/www/drg/SPCamo.htm)
Combat Mission HQ (http://www.combatmission.com/)
G-o-D's Close Combat Links (http://home.wanadoo.nl/cclinks/)

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 85
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 12/13/2007 4:45:14 AM   
michigan

I'm not a computer geek, just a person who enjoys war games (starting with Tactics II board game).  I run a Dell GX280 with windows xp Pro SP2 and have been using it for Steel Panthers for over a year.  Due to some errors on my part I had to reload the operating system and software.  Now my Steel Panthers v8.4 appears to have a calculation problem.  A T-34 being hit by a tiger's 88 is receiving penetration ratings of 5XXX or 6XXX.  These are straight on shots being tested with training scenario on how to use a tiger.  Use to be able to brew them up for fun and now I can't destroy any.  Any idea as to what happened or how to fix it?  I've reloaded SPWaW three times along with patches.  Verrrrrrry frustrated!

(in reply to Tyrson)
Post #: 86
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 12/14/2007 12:39:46 AM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: michigan

I'm not a computer geek, just a person who enjoys war games (starting with Tactics II board game).  I run a Dell GX280 with windows xp Pro SP2 and have been using it for Steel Panthers for over a year.  Due to some errors on my part I had to reload the operating system and software.  Now my Steel Panthers v8.4 appears to have a calculation problem.  A T-34 being hit by a tiger's 88 is receiving penetration ratings of 5XXX or 6XXX.  These are straight on shots being tested with training scenario on how to use a tiger.  Use to be able to brew them up for fun and now I can't destroy any.  Any idea as to what happened or how to fix it?  I've reloaded SPWaW three times along with patches.  Verrrrrrry frustrated!

delte steel prefs file inside your "save" folder

(in reply to michigan)
Post #: 87
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 3/1/2008 11:35:58 PM   
Apocal

I'm still having a problem with the artillery screen taking multiple attempts before accepting an action. I'm running XP and I've already set mech.exe to Windows 98 compatibility. The problem is still there. I'm using version 8.4 without the Enhanced mod.

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 88
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 3/2/2008 8:16:53 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apocal

I'm still having a problem with the artillery screen taking multiple attempts before accepting an action. I'm running XP and I've already set mech.exe to Windows 98 compatibility. The problem is still there. I'm using version 8.4 without the Enhanced mod.

Tyr updating to Version 8.403
I think this was addressed in that update.

(in reply to Apocal)
Post #: 89
RE: SPWaW Technical Issues - 3/8/2008 2:52:24 AM   
Apocal

Installed the 8.403 patch, still have the problem. Can't for hte life of me figure out what is causing it.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: SPWaW Technical Issues Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI