Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Torpedo bombers droping torps from 15k feet

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Torpedo bombers droping torps from 15k feet Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Torpedo bombers droping torps from 15k feet - 8/27/2005 6:31:00 PM   
Lord_Calidor

I remeber this was discussed some time ago. What was the conclusion? Is it on a bug fix list?

I noticed it happens only if TB's missions are set to Naval primary then something else, like Airfield, for secondary. In that case, if making Naval torpedo attack, they seem to keep their designated altitude for secondary bombing, not diving to 200 feet to launch torpedoes.
Naturally, they can't hit squat from that altitude, I had something like 45 Bettys not scoring a single hit on a few merchants, and this was not a single example, but rather a rule. KB's Kates also seem to suffer from this.

If I put them on Naval/Rest, they launch their fishes just fine, from 200 feet.

Logistics are not an issue, Bettys are taking off from a well supplied, lvl 4 airfield, with enough av.support and with Air HQ present.

But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage.
Post #: 1
RE: Torpedo bombers droping torps from 15k feet - 8/29/2005 4:16:57 PM   
Lord_Calidor

Bump.

(in reply to Lord_Calidor)
Post #: 2
RE: Torpedo bombers droping torps from 15k feet - 8/29/2005 4:43:43 PM   
Sardaukar

If I recall right it was just bug/"feature" in report that doesn't actually effect combat results.

Post #: 3
RE: Torpedo bombers droping torps from 15k feet - 8/29/2005 5:08:31 PM   
Terminus

Some people are talking on another thread about this, and it might be an issue, if TB's are dropping their weapons above effective flak range, and thus getting an unfair advantage.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 4
RE: Torpedo bombers droping torps from 15k feet - 8/29/2005 6:26:10 PM   
Lord_Calidor

I already wrote, they DO drop torps, but from that altitude, can't hit anything. I've run multiple tests - 2 fresh, fully stocked Betty daitais with good morale and expirience (usually 45-50 planes launch) score 0 or 1 hit on a TK/AK laden task force.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 5
RE: Torpedo bombers droping torps from 15k feet - 8/29/2005 6:41:03 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord_Calidor

I already wrote, they DO drop torps, but from that altitude, can't hit anything. I've run multiple tests - 2 fresh, fully stocked Betty daitais with good morale and expirience (usually 45-50 planes launch) score 0 or 1 hit on a TK/AK laden task force.

I seem to be having the opposite experience (although this is a matter of debate) in my PBEM game. Kates seem to be dropping torps from 19000 feet and hitting DDs and CAs and other ships with accuracy i would expect from 200 feet. They SEEM to be avoiding the AA fire, and in at least a few cases, ships with less than 5" AA guns do not seem to be firing at the Kates, which, as far as i can tell are not being shot down or even damaged by AA fire (although lesser numbers of Vals which accompany them in an attack are being shot down and damaged.)

Again, this is debated by my PBEM opponent. He believes it is just a reporting fluke, claiming he has many damaged Kates - however, in my experience, it isn't really possible to tell how an airplane is damaged (operational vs. AA). Also, i know i did damage numerous Kates in attacks that happened before this problem showed up. So, the matter is still up for grabs, and i am looking for evidence to settle the matter of what is going on.

Post #: 6
RE: Torpedo bombers droping torps from 15k feet - 8/29/2005 6:49:58 PM   
Lord_Calidor

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso
I seem to be having the opposite experience (although this is a matter of debate) in my PBEM game. Kates seem to be dropping torps from 19000 feet and hitting DDs and CAs and other ships with accuracy i would expect from 200 feet. They SEEM to be avoiding the AA fire, and in at least a few cases, ships with less than 5" AA guns do not seem to be firing at the Kates, which, as far as i can tell are not being shot down or even damaged by AA fire (although lesser numbers of Vals which accompany them in an attack are being shot down and damaged.)

Again, this is debated by my PBEM opponent. He believes it is just a reporting fluke, claiming he has many damaged Kates - however, in my experience, it isn't really possible to tell how an airplane is damaged (operational vs. AA). Also, i know i did damage numerous Kates in attacks that happened before this problem showed up. So, the matter is still up for grabs, and i am looking for evidence to settle the matter of what is going on.

I've also noticed that Kates suffer less from this. They score multiple hits even when droping torps from high alts. I guess it has something to do with plane types - Kate is a TB, while Betty/Nell a LB.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Torpedo bombers droping torps from 15k feet Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI