Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Effect of Naval Bombardment Hits?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Effect of Naval Bombardment Hits? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Effect of Naval Bombardment Hits? - 9/1/2005 10:54:32 PM   
Burkowski

Greetings, all.

I think I knew this once, but can't remember and can't find it in the manual or via search... is there a specific numerical or quantitative value associated with Airbase, Airbase Supply, Port, or Port Supply Hits? Is it a fixed percentage of what's there? Is it simply a dice roll result? Is there a way (on screens) to know what the "hit" values mean? Help, please.

Burkowski
Post #: 1
RE: Effect of Naval Bombardment Hits? - 9/1/2005 11:00:30 PM   
Terminus

I think it's actually the number of hits scored, since you can get in excess of 100.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Burkowski)
Post #: 2
RE: Effect of Naval Bombardment Hits? - 9/1/2005 11:34:49 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Burkowski

Greetings, all.

I think I knew this once, but can't remember and can't find it in the manual or via search... is there a specific numerical or quantitative value associated with Airbase, Airbase Supply, Port, or Port Supply Hits? Is it a fixed percentage of what's there? Is it simply a dice roll result? Is there a way (on screens) to know what the "hit" values mean? Help, please.

Burkowski

Supposedly, each 1 hit destroys 1% of the remaining supplies. So, if you had 10,000 tons, first hit would destroy 100 tons, second hit 1% of 9,900 tons = 99 tons, etc. As in Zeno's paradox, you never can quite destroy all of the supplies, but i would guess after you get down to 1 ton, at some point the game will round down and that will be the end of the supplies.

(in reply to Burkowski)
Post #: 3
RE: Effect of Naval Bombardment Hits? - 9/1/2005 11:41:57 PM   
AmiralLaurent

The % of damage to airfield and port is linked to the number of hits, but also the size of the airfield and probably the size of the shells.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 4
RE: Effect of Naval Bombardment Hits? - 9/2/2005 12:47:04 AM   
Burkowski

Thanks for the info...

So, if I understand the responses, it's all a percentage game and the best estimate is shown when I "hover" the cursor over the target port and it gives me what I guess is a percentage, as in "port damage 46" means it is about half destroyed. And that refers to supply (for both port and airbase) remaining as well as ability of the port to function, e.g. ?

And in the case of the airfield report, it's just runway damage, but no specifics about the amount of supply destroyed at the "airbase?"

Sorry to be dense here , but I'd like to be able to have a better handle on this despite FOW... and still can't find anything in the manual...

Burkowski

(in reply to AmiralLaurent)
Post #: 5
RE: Effect of Naval Bombardment Hits? - 9/2/2005 12:52:45 AM   
Bradley7735

When you hover and see Port 46, that means that the port is about 46% damaged. It will conduct operations at a slower rate, since it's damaged. (ship repair, ship loading and unloading, etc)

However, that number has no correlation to the amount of supply destroyed or remaining. That base could be very damaged, but still hold thousands and thousands of supply.

(the above is true for airfields as well.)

The older I get, the better I was.

(in reply to Burkowski)
Post #: 6
RE: Effect of Naval Bombardment Hits? - 9/2/2005 1:16:03 AM   
Burkowski

Thanks, one and all...

Burkowski

(in reply to Bradley7735)
Post #: 7
RE: Effect of Naval Bombardment Hits? - 9/2/2005 4:22:37 AM   
EUBanana

Guessing supply is the hard part, I've been pounding and pounding at a certain base, getting 2-5 supply hits a turn (medium bombers so they fly every turn, every so often heavies go too), but it still seems well supplied.

(in reply to Burkowski)
Post #: 8
RE: Effect of Naval Bombardment Hits? - 9/2/2005 12:39:22 PM   
Burkowski

Yah, that "guessing" you mentioned is exactly why I started this thread. When I am softening up an enemy base for whatever comes next, I want to have a clearer idea of when enough is enough. As the opposing commander, I don't expect a TO&E and supply report from the bad guys, but I would like a better sense of how much damage and supply reduction I've caused.... I just thought I was missing some avenue to know more, but I guess not...

Burkowski

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 9
RE: Effect of Naval Bombardment Hits? - 9/2/2005 3:45:31 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

Guessing supply is the hard part, I've been pounding and pounding at a certain base, getting 2-5 supply hits a turn (medium bombers so they fly every turn, every so often heavies go too), but it still seems well supplied.

This was discussed at length some months ago. Pretty sure it was agreed that a supply hit will destroy on average 1% of the supplies present at a base. Destroying a base's supply directly is therefore impossible. Supply is best attacked indirectly by attacking the port and the airfield. This has the bonus effect of slowing down the construction of fortifications.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 10
RE: Effect of Naval Bombardment Hits? - 9/2/2005 9:05:27 PM   
Gem35

And if it's a Jap base with no path to retreat they still won't surrender even if the supply depots are bombed into the stone age.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 11
RE: Effect of Naval Bombardment Hits? - 9/3/2005 11:10:29 AM   
Damien Thorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

This was discussed at length some months ago. Pretty sure it was agreed that a supply hit will destroy on average 1% of the supplies present at a base.

I seem to remember they said a hit destroys 10% of a base's supply. Maybe someone could do a test.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 12
RE: Effect of Naval Bombardment Hits? - 9/3/2005 1:45:05 PM   
Halsey

It's 1%.

(in reply to Damien Thorn)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Effect of Naval Bombardment Hits? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI