Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pros & Cons

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Pros & Cons Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pros & Cons - 10/5/2005 9:50:14 PM   
ChrisJohnson

OK, here's what is missing from PuerSim that I think would make it an easier sell to my OOTP bretheren (in no particular order):

(1) Waivers/DFA system - this needs to be added so that that it's at least an option for those of us who use these systems, regardless of them being coded in the game or not. OOTP just added this to the game, but we've been using waivers systems as long as I've been playing online baseball.

(2) Multiple minor league levels - already noted and will be added.

(3) Html reports that can be uploaded to a website - see below about the PureSim positives, but I'd like to be able to create a website using PureSim results for a multiplayer league.

(4) Draft pick trading - this is broken in OOTP, but I think this has already been noted as something to be added.

Here's what's great about PureSim from an online perspective:

(1) Trades are executed through the game by owners. Having spent many hours of my life doing this manually, thank you Shaun!

(2) Very easy to setup a league.

(3) The game engine handles all of the icky stuff that occurs with rosters. In fairness, PureSim doesn't have a waivers system yet, so OOTP is more complicated in that respect, but managing the waivers/DFA system in OOTP is painful. If PureSim continues that trend with all roster movement, I'll continue to be very happy.

(4) You really don't need a website to run an online league with PureSim. Can't do that with OOTP. Now this can be a negative if the game isn't friendly to creating html pages for web sites. But it is so streamlined that a web site is a place for owners to get together and chat about things as opposed to it being used to manually operate certain aspects of the league.

These are my initial impressions after a day's worth of tweaking around with the game.

< Message edited by ChrisJohnson -- 10/5/2005 10:49:48 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Pros & Cons - 10/6/2005 5:20:01 PM   
Dirtdog20

As far as waivers and DFA I just want them to work well. It is frustrating in OOTP and having them turned off is the only way to play solo.

I just want the AI to not move my lineups around when I sim a week instead of playing out every game. I asked if this had been fixed and no one answered so I guess I wont be buying Pure Sim at this point.

You mean that we gotta take a test after we read this stuff?!?

(in reply to ChrisJohnson)
Post #: 2
RE: Pros & Cons - 10/6/2005 5:50:43 PM   
ChrisJohnson

I think you can set up your lineups and the AI won't mess with them. At least, there are settings in the game that allow you to do this. Or at least, you can run weekly sims so that you are notified when the rosters have to be changed.

(in reply to Dirtdog20)
Post #: 3
RE: Pros & Cons - 10/6/2005 10:09:49 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

Dirtdog, from the Team Management screen, there is an option on the left hand side named "Mgr/GM Tendencies". If you select that, you'll be taken to a screen where you can instruct your sim-GM on how to run the team when it's being simmed. You'll find that the second option down is "Auto Juggle Lineups"- there's one for the Majors and one for the Minors. Set this as you wish to get your desired results; from what you're commenting on, I would think that "Never Juggle Lineups" would be your best bet.

However, keep in mind that as far as I am aware, the options immediately above that (Auto Rest Position Players and Auto Rest Injured Players) may override your request not to juggle. If you're adamant about everyone playing all the time, you can adjust these too, but just keep in mind that some injuries won't give you the option to allow them to keep playing.

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

Post #: 4
RE: Pros & Cons - 10/7/2005 12:03:47 AM   
ChrisJohnson

I think that one thing that should be included is the ability to keep records of these sorts of stats over the career of the player. Everybody that plays OOTP and has figured out how to use the Cato database raves about its stat tracking ability. What could set PureSim apart is to have this ability built into the game. I honestly don't see why more stats wouldn't be included in a game like PureSim, especially since each at bat is tracked in the game. Or maybe include a utility that will store this sort of historical data.

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 5
RE: Pros & Cons - 10/7/2005 2:44:40 AM   
Dirtdog20

Thank you for the reply Frozen.

I dont mind guys taking a day off and injuries can tweak a lineup some too. I however was very hacked off when the line up I set and rolled over the AI with was reset by the AI when I started simming instead of playing every game out. My leadoff hitter became the #5 hitter and my #2 hitter ended up hitting 7th.

That team finished the year in 4th in a 5 team division. The experience was enough to turn me off and send me back to OOTP.

You mean that we gotta take a test after we read this stuff?!?

Post #: 6
RE: Pros & Cons - 10/7/2005 2:54:01 AM   
DandricSturm

The player usage button can be very handy. "Keep this player on the bench," or "Lock batting order and position," would help to keep the AI from destroying your lineups.

"The Guns, Thank God, The Guns..." - Rudyard Kipling
http://www.bluemax-ara-assoc.com/

(in reply to Dirtdog20)
Post #: 7
RE: Pros & Cons - 10/7/2005 7:44:33 AM   
Steely Glint

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisJohnson

OK, here's what is missing from PuerSim that I think would make it an easier sell to my OOTP bretheren (in no particular order):

(1) Waivers/DFA system - this needs to be added so that that it's at least an option for those of us who use these systems, regardless of them being coded in the game or not. OOTP just added this to the game, but we've been using waivers systems as long as I've been playing online baseball.

(2) Multiple minor league levels - already noted and will be added.

(3) Html reports that can be uploaded to a website - see below about the PureSim positives, but I'd like to be able to create a website using PureSim results for a multiplayer league.

(4) Draft pick trading - this is broken in OOTP, but I think this has already been noted as something to be added.

Those are all items that do need to be added to the game.

“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Pros & Cons Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI