Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: ** Matrix to Publish Talonsoft Games **

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: ** Matrix to Publish Talonsoft Games ** Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: ** Matrix to Publish Talonsoft Games ** - 10/12/2005 8:49:22 PM   
U2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tête de Porc

Great! I was never a fan of the Campaign series (maybe this time?), but TOAW certainly deserves a new lease of life.

Now how about updating this one while you're at it?

It's the number one game I miss on XP!

This game is sooooooo good!! I would really like to see it redone too

(in reply to Tête de Porc)
Post #: 31
RE: ** Matrix to Publish Talonsoft Games ** - 10/12/2005 11:50:19 PM   
crsutton

What about Tiller's commitment to HPS? He has taken the Battleground system to another level with his campaigns of the civil war system at HPS Franklin, Corinth, Gettysburg and the Pennisular campaign. Will he be serving two masters or can we see some sort of blending of the systems. Basically the Battleground system is visually much more beautiful due to the painted maps but the campaign systems (although a visual dog) has refined the game mechanics and made it much better.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 32
RE: ** Matrix to Publish Talonsoft Games ** - 10/13/2005 1:23:18 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

What about Tiller's commitment to HPS? He has taken the Battleground system to another level with his campaigns of the civil war system at HPS Franklin, Corinth, Gettysburg and the Pennisular campaign. Will he be serving two masters or can we see some sort of blending of the systems. Basically the Battleground system is visually much more beautiful due to the painted maps but the campaign systems (although a visual dog) has refined the game mechanics and made it much better.

I agree with your final sentence, but I think the clue is in the press release;

Matrix Games has reached an agreement with the original developer of these titles, John Tiller, to assist in updating each game to the most recent version to assure full compatibility with the latest Windows XP systems and DirectX. Matrix Games plans to publish an updated version of the full Battleground and Campaign series games, including some fixes and tweaks for issues that have become known since their original release.

I'm making a habit of being wrong with guesses about what's likely to happen , but I think people are getting a little carried away about what's actually going to be on offer. The above statement doesn't suggest any great improvement or development, and actually the one for TOAW was similar.

I really don't share the desire to see any of the titles seriously 'developed'. I can see why die-hard fans, especially of TOAW, would but nostalgia aside the games are no better than many of those that have become available since they were published, and in many ways are considerably less impressive. More to the point, they are certainly no better than many currently in development. Things have moved on and I'd rather see Norm Koger, Gary Grigsby, and John Tiller getting on with new games, not stepping back in time five years or more to improve old titles... and despite my earlier post that includes AoR too!

I would be pleased to buy re-releases of the Campaign Series or TOAW with significant improvements, BUT nowhere near as pleased as I would be to buy CotA, or a new War in Russia, or Combined Arms, or Combat Leader.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 10/13/2005 1:34:49 AM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 33
RE: ** Matrix to Publish Talonsoft Games ** - 10/13/2005 1:59:02 AM   
Pippin

I am more happy to see that just a patch is being done, then a total-rewrite. In theory, the products will be able to ship sooner.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 34
RE: ** Matrix to Publish Talonsoft Games ** - 10/13/2005 6:42:46 PM   
Warfare1

I would also like to see Matrix get a hold the source code for Panzer General II. This was the best game in the entire series.

There is a ready-made and active fan base for this game that would work on the game, test it, and improve it for free...

Some things that would need to be changed:

* fix bugs
* bigger maps
* reinforcements should not be elite replacements
etc...

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 35
RE: ** Matrix to Publish Talonsoft Games ** - 10/13/2005 7:15:11 PM   
Pippin

I would rather see PG III fixed than PG 2. PG III Scortched Earth had great potential. It just sucks when every time you ambush a unit (even by accident) the game crashes to desktop every god damn time!

Only work around is to start over and pray you don't ambush a unit again.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 36
RE: ** Matrix to Publish Talonsoft Games ** - 10/13/2005 10:53:14 PM   
Paul Wykes

This is great news. I love the talonsoft games, and this will certianly create interest. Mostly looking forward to trying TOAW:COW which never got a release here in the UK.

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 37
RE: ** Matrix to Publish Talonsoft Games ** - 10/14/2005 12:13:36 AM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pippin

I would rather see PG III fixed than PG 2. PG III Scortched Earth had great potential. It just sucks when every time you ambush a unit (even by accident) the game crashes to desktop every god damn time!

Only work around is to start over and pray you don't ambush a unit again.

PG III does have its moments.

However, I could never really get into the 3D aspect of the game. It was a slower game and you couldn't have as many units in your army.

In addition, it is much less moddable than PG2.

The PG2 community has already made hundreds of scenarios and campaigns for the game as well as new maps, equipment files, etc, etc...

They have been after the source code for some time and would be thrilled to be able to work on it...

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: ** Matrix to Publish Talonsoft Games ** Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI