Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

BG NAP PBEM

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> BG NAP PBEM Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BG NAP PBEM - 10/7/2005 11:40:18 PM   
lancerunolfsson

BG Nap and PBEM

The single thing I most want to see for BG is that in the Napoleonic games there be a feature like in the 32 bit ACW that allows automatic defensive fire. This only because of PBEM games they seem to crawl when swapping files twice to complete a turn. Of course I am guessing that the easiest way to get this to work involves loss of cavalry counter charges. That's OK with me. But definitely preserve the Movement phase fire phase distinctions or you just wind up with Panzer Campaign Napoleon.
Post #: 1
RE: BG NAP PBEM - 10/8/2005 7:09:47 PM   
rich

Automatic defensive fire isn't really an option for the Nappy series, since players can do far more than fire during the defensive phase (unlike in the ACW games where defensive fire was all that needed to be handled in the defensive phase). Since, apart from firing, players can also form square, change formation and have their cavalry counter-charge during the defensive phase it's essential to keep it. More file exchanges, granted, but without the defensive phase, there'd be no cavalry counter-charges and players would presumably have to form square in their own turn (as in the HPS games), which wouldn't benefit gameplay.

(in reply to lancerunolfsson)
Post #: 2
RE: BG NAP PBEM - 10/9/2005 2:49:23 AM   
lancerunolfsson

Rich your right I forgot about the way formation changes are in the defensive fire phase. I really hate that because I am always forgetting to change my formations, I'd love to see them in the movement phase. But I suspect that would mean a lot more code changing than anyone is going to do. Guess I'm stuck with BG nap as a Hot seat game. So absoloutley no reason to ever buy an updated version. Unless they fix the part where a broken formation of Landswhere fights back against a cavalry charge. Always struck me as odd that they do anything different from vaporize.

< Message edited by lancerunolfsson -- 10/9/2005 2:53:19 AM >

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 3
RE: BG NAP PBEM - 10/10/2005 6:43:53 PM   
rich

Well, the best solution would be a We-Plot, We-Go simultaneous movement system, but that might be hard to recode.

Another possible solution might be to allow players to pre-set (ie. in their own turn) cavalry to counter charge nearby enemy cavalry that charge and for square forming to be automated whenever infantry come under threat from charging cavalry - but that would require a more sophisticated A/I, so would need to be handled carefully if implemented.

In Age of Rifles (SSI, 1996 - created by Norm Koger), cavalry might automatically counter-charge during the enemy turn and troops fire defensively in response to enemy action. This game's got poor graphics and is hard to get to work on WinXP machines, but still has some decent engine features not present in the BG/HPS engine - eg. more formations (including march and attack columns), gun capture/recrew, march fatigue, terrain destruction, etc.

< Message edited by rich -- 10/10/2005 6:55:09 PM >

(in reply to lancerunolfsson)
Post #: 4
RE: BG NAP PBEM - 10/11/2005 12:18:49 AM   
lancerunolfsson

Yeah Rich good ideas but I think your going more along the lines of a ground up new game. Age of Rifles is a very interesting game actually I like most of the graphics in it. My biggest problem is the very limited map views. Second I don't know if you have played it PBEM but sadly if one does, one learns real quick that the way defensive fire and charging etc takes off action points from your NEXT turn. Rather than using points saved from your previous turn, is a tragic flaw. In essence your stuck with giving all of your units orders to do no reactions and watch a good player march up and school you with fire that gets no return. Or you set your units to make reactions and watch a good player maneuver in ways to soak up all your APs for the following turn. Leaving you with an army that can neither move or shoot in your turn!!
Oh with that said I would really love to see AOR updated and fixed.

< Message edited by lancerunolfsson -- 10/11/2005 12:19:10 AM >

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> BG NAP PBEM Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI