Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Over His Limit

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Over His Limit Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Over His Limit - 10/10/2005 5:48:02 PM   
athkatla

Hi guys, another question from this baseball illiterate brit.

A couple of times I have seen a message saying X Pitcher is X numbers over his limit. Now I'm assuming that means he has pitched that number of balls more than his limit. My questions are who sets this limit and where, also why do some pitchers have a lower limit than others, and what are the parameters for setting a pitchers limit, that is of course if it can be done by a human manager.

I'm sorry for all the questions, but this is the tip of the iceberg, I really need to know a lot more about this game (and baseball) to enjoy it to it's full capabilities.

Win at all costs!
Post #: 1
RE: Over His Limit - 10/10/2005 6:27:12 PM   
BataBabys

The gold edition comes with a manual button, check there for answers. Pitchers have endurance ratings that affect there ability to pitch longer.

(in reply to athkatla)
Post #: 2
RE: Over His Limit - 10/10/2005 10:26:23 PM   
Amaroq

athkatla,

The concept of a 'pitch count' is a relatively recent innovation, based on some medical research that has found that over-use of youth pitchers can lead to an increase of injuries and arm problems for them as adults.

A number of youth leagues now have a mandatory 'pitch count limit', e.g., if your pitcher has thrown 60 pitches, you must immediately remove him; he may not throw a 61st pitch.

In modern major-league baseball, there is no mandatory 'pitch count'. Some teams have a management philosophy which relies on them, and our broadcasters have really picked up on it so they're always talking about it on TV; I think the majority of teams are not using the concept on a regular basis for their starting pitchers, because you will management talking about a player coming back from injury say "We had him on a pitch count today..." which seems to imply that they wouldn't on normal days.

The average starting pitcher in MLB does throw right around 100 pitches, and the belief is that beyond that his performance is likely to drop off, sometimes disastrously. However, it is not uncommon to see some of your best pitchers throw 120, 130, or 140 pitches in a single outing.

In PureSim, the 'limit' is intended to give you some sense for when the pitcher is likely to get tired, and seems to be based pretty much directly on the "Endurance" attribute. You might contextualize it as 'your pitching coach warning that the pitcher is past his "optimum performance" point.'

Personally, I don't mind my top pitchers exceeding their 'limit', especially if the drop-off to the relief pitchers is pretty steep - I figure a 'tired' exceptional player is better than a 'fresh' mediocre one. Since I let the computer manager make the substitutions for me, I use the 'Hook' option on 'Player Usage Settings' screen to express my tendency for 'Very Patient' with my superstar starters and 'Patient' with my middling starters, leaving a shorter hook setting for my worst starters.

(in reply to athkatla)
Post #: 3
RE: Over His Limit - 10/10/2005 10:34:58 PM   
athkatla

Thanks for that reply Amaroq, that's made it a bit clearer for me. I have noticed that the pitchers who 'reach their limits' don't have very high Endurance.

Win at all costs!

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 4
RE: Over His Limit - 10/10/2005 10:44:10 PM   
Amaroq

You're welcome.

I do make 'Endurance' a guiding factor in choosing my starting pitchers: I prefer to have 3 starters with an Endurance in the 80-100 range, with the others above 60.

Also, it seems like the game will use relief pitchers from the top down in relatively close games, and from the bottom up in blow-out games, so I try to put a mediocre pitcher with high endurance as my 'last' reliever, so that he can 'eat innings' in games which are no longer close.

(in reply to athkatla)
Post #: 5
RE: Over His Limit - 10/10/2005 11:37:21 PM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amaroq

You're welcome.

I do make 'Endurance' a guiding factor in choosing my starting pitchers: I prefer to have 3 starters with an Endurance in the 80-100 range, with the others above 60.

Also, it seems like the game will use relief pitchers from the top down in relatively close games, and from the bottom up in blow-out games, so I try to put a mediocre pitcher with high endurance as my 'last' reliever, so that he can 'eat innings' in games which are no longer close.

I agree, Amaroq. When I'm managing, though, I sometimes "stretch the envelope" if my SP is performing well, just to get him a CG, and if my bullpen has several tired arms.

(in reply to Amaroq)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Over His Limit Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI