Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Soviet First policy?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Soviet First policy? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Soviet First policy? - 10/14/2005 2:28:56 AM   
jrlans

Starting my first game as the japaneese and ive heard talk of a soviet first tatic looking over the soviet OOB it seems like it would be difficult to take out all of the soviets without sacraficing 2 of the 3 main japanese targets at the start of the way (DEI, Malaya/Burma, and PI)

Is taking out the soviets worth it?

Looking both taticaly and strategicaly at the soviets

Cons

they dont provide much oil. Simply stated the soviets have hardly any oil (the only oil center iirc is okha, the island shared by japan and Soviets, and that has 400 oil).
Large soviet force in area with modern planes and lots of LCUs

Slows rate of expasion into other areas allowing allies to either evacuate or dig in and posibly increasing there point totals

Pros

makes use of and frees up kwantag army (if there are no soviets there is no need to have a border patrol protecting against the soviets)

Gives other attack angles in china allowing lare swaths of units to be cut of and destroyed (with rules regarding chinesse LCU replacement not sure how effective this would be)

Oil at okah is very protected and a good sorce for oil (hard or allied subs to get near due to all the bases around and at the very northern tip of of the empire; unless allied player takes norther allutian route should be safe from air attack for most of the game, also much shorter supply line)

LOTS of HI. Not sure how important that is but if i calculated correctly you get a little over 1k HI after capturing all of SU

Anyway can anyone else give me some strategic advice about weather or not a soviet first policy is deemed generaly adviseable?

Post #: 1
RE: Soviet First policy? - 10/14/2005 2:37:57 AM   
moses

There are several "invasion Russia threads in the AAR section which outline the method. As far as I know noone has tried it in a full game so the jury is out as to if it is good or bad. Some chance your opponent may consider it an unfair tactic as he has no defence and it is not really historical. So be clear that your opponent is in for a no holds barred game.

But it has been shown that Russia can definately be taken and with good speed. You will need to bring in significant outside forces which will be tied up for several months. So other ops need to be adjusted accordingly.

(in reply to jrlans)
Post #: 2
RE: Soviet First policy? - 10/14/2005 4:40:15 AM   
PimpYourAFV

Sounds like fun hitting Russia with Japan. Adds another alternative strategy to the game. I reckon its historical considering the Soviets fought Japan before and at the end of the war. Gonna have to try it sometime but better to do it after Malaya, Java and Philippines are liberated for resource base to be in place.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 3
RE: Soviet First policy? - 10/14/2005 5:26:38 AM   
Nomad

Therre is a feeling that Mogami in the Lunacy games will attack Russia. Not sure if he will do it in all games or one or two. I know that as of 1/9/42 I have gotten intel that three units are preparing attacks on russian bases. You might want to wait and see how he does. But I would make sure to inform any possible opponent that it will be an option.

(in reply to PimpYourAFV)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Soviet First policy? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI