Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Victory at Johore Baru!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> Victory at Johore Baru! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Victory at Johore Baru! - 11/10/2005 10:04:20 AM   
pauk

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/06/42

SRA

Despite heavy casaulties deliberate attack on Johore Baru was success. I do not know if enemy units are preparing for JB (after this battle i wish they do). Finally my 4 BBs done their job - almost 3.000 casaulties at JB during night bombardment and they certainly help "Malaya group Army". BBs are now in Malacca (refueling) where we have some zero and oscars on CAP.

Ground combat at Johore Bahru

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 197141 troops, 2209 guns, 170 vehicles

Defending force 55876 troops, 396 guns, 22 vehicles

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 5

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 5)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 5

Japanese ground losses:
2961 casualties reported
Guns lost 85
Vehicles lost 4

Allied ground losses:
3242 casualties reported
Guns lost 40
Vehicles lost 2

No attack scheduled for tomorrow (units have disruption level is from 29-40) and i order them to rest and drink a portion of sake. My plan is to keep their disruption at high level with another naval bombardments (Mutsu group + Kongo group).

Another good news coming from southern SRA. Zero Daitai moved to Menado and engaged CAP over Kendary. No single planes lost, but enemy lost 10 Brewsters and 3 Hawks.

Enemy TFs dissapears and bombers moved from Kendari. I guess this was a part of some "operation" like evacuating units from Java. Well I can live with that, cant affort myself to lost valuable naval units which i can not replace. Troops at Amboina unloading but will have to wait until main fragments arrived from gggrrrr.... non base hex.....

PHILIPPINES

Clark field is in my hands now. Defeated PI division withdraw to Bataan - good, it means i will have another training camp for my pilots. Manila port and AF bombed from the air - i will try everything to close port, but every time when goal is almost achived bad weather interfere. 38th Div will rest and join our forces in Malaya. Brigade disembarks at Legaspi. I need PI liberated before February.

BURMA
Rangoon falls. Air transports will transfer air support unit into city. Enemy units crossed river but they are repulsed (he withdrawing units along railroad).

Ground combat at 29,33

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 3065 troops, 16 guns, 3 vehicles

Defending force 11878 troops, 62 guns, 0 vehicles

Allied assault odds: 0 to 1

CHINA

After the fall of Kweilin 4 divisions moving towards Hengchow. I've ordered units east of Hengchow (2 div and mix bde) to march into city but it will be hard to get both army at the same time into Hengchow. A small suprise scheduled for tomorrow.... hope it will works.

stay tuned

Japanese ground losses:
24 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
482 casualties reported
Guns lost 8

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 91
supplement - 11/10/2005 5:55:41 PM   
pauk

I forget to mention few things...

CL Dragon sinks and that's first bigger ship than DD sunk by me....

Paras will take Pagan tomorrow - I just want give Andy headache while he widrawing his beaten units (ind and burma's brigade) to the rather safe Mandalay....

Current situation in the Burma is good. Only one Mix rtg, eng rtg and tank rtg manage to capture Rangoon and decimated 2 burma and 2 indian bdes. Some of Chinese units attached to the SE Asia were reported in the China....

Attack on the Johore B. was succesful too and if i captured Singapore in next 2 weeks i will have 6 div, 3 bde's and 3 eng units. Ok, what to do with them? More then enough for Java. Hm, what about India? I think it is possible to attack India about a month before 18 UK div comes (15th march) and only significant reinforcement available until than is 7Arm Bde... (I could transfer few Kwantung tk rtg to SAA and use them for India).

Problems:

#1 Java - It seems that Andy evacuating units from there. So if i capture Manila before February i can use divisions from there for Java... Can Andy reinforce Java meanwhile?

#2. With reduced force (6 Div) i have no choice than go for just one target - Chandpour or Diamond....

#3. Enemy airforce and evacuated units (fragments) from SRA - can they be bring back at full strengh till March?

Hey experts for the India i really need input (cant recall is there any?) does it sound like good idea... it is a little bit risky but then again....

< Message edited by pauk -- 11/10/2005 5:56:16 PM >

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 92
good turn - 11/11/2005 11:52:41 AM   
pauk

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/07/42

SRA

Invasion fleet continues to unload fragments on Amboina beach, while other transports loading main parts of the units. Several MSW's are heavily damaged with enemy coastal guns and few transports hits VH2 mines but as long we are talking about these ships i can live with that.

This was a bed news. Now the good news

Total number of destroyed enemy ac is 46 - 44 of them on the ground . I'm not sure what Andy thinks with more then 40 planes on AF size 1 (Medan) but i wont complain about that - night bombardment worked well. Only reasonable explanation is that he hoped for air strike on Mutsu TF.

Anyway, here are results from the Tokyo jury: 11 Martins, 10 Demons, 5 Dauntless and the last but not the least 3 T.IVa (Andy lost 11 obsolete but dangerous Dutch torp. bombers so far). Another 11 planes destroyed in the China. I will say more about it little later.

Mutsu TF will bombard Johore B tomorrow before my army attack this base.

BURMA AND CHINA

I've noticed presence of the enemy fighters in Chungking but every time i reconned base no CAP was present. I decide to grab this opportunity and send Sallys from Wuhan to visit. 11 I-16c were destroyed on the ground - good, they can be decent opposition to my Nates and Oscars.

A green unit again found in China. Hmmm?

Day Air attack on Chungking , at 43,32

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 5
Ki-21 Sally x 44
Ki-15 Babs x 5

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21 Sally: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
I-16c: 6 destroyed
I-153c: 2 destroyed

PHILIPPINES

Airfield is almost closed (46 damage), port is above 20, but tunderstorm will probably prevent me from closing this damned place.... My main concern here is lots of ops losses (i've lost 16 planes and 10 of them were ops losses). It will took some time while i bring air support and air HQ in Clark Field.

SE PACIFIC

Japanese Ships
SS I-171, hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
DD Balch
DD Fanning
DD Dunlap
DD Ellet
DD Benham
DD Maury
DD McCall
DD Gridley
DD Craven
CA Salt Lake City

near Townsville.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 93
RE: good turn - 11/11/2005 1:19:30 PM   
Honda

Well, India is a biggie. PzB?

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 94
RE: good turn - 11/11/2005 7:29:36 PM   
boba

I say GO for India. At least I would in your place
If you "play safe" in a long run you surely will loose.

(in reply to Honda)
Post #: 95
RE: good turn - 11/12/2005 10:16:29 AM   
pauk

thanks boba (BTW great sig!) I'm more and more convinced that this is the only way i should act - before his reinforcements arrive in India and before the saved fragments from Malaya and PI can be bring back at the full strengh. This is a very risky plan and my main fear is damned Beauforts (yeah, talking to me about overpowered Bettys, phew). However, I have no choice.

Pleminary operations are conducted - conwoys will gather fuel at Singapore (and i have over 100.000 captured fuel at Rangoon!), Kido Butai is in Japan (r&r)... Philippines are extremly important for India operation. I need "PI" divs for Java and reinforce "India invasion army". It would be perfect that i get 2-1 odds and allied units retreat to the Lamon Bay (it is still allied base!). Only then saved fragments would not recive reinforcements and i could release 4 divs from there... yeah, i'm dreaming :( - Singapore must be captured in next 12 days!

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/08/42

This turn was guite dissapointing for me, i was expecting better results. Naval bombardment of Medan and air strike on Chunking were unsuccessful - not a single plane destroyed on the ground. I don't get it, there must be damaged planes on these airfields. Hm, maybe the Scottman have signed pact with Lucifer?!

Amboina is heavily mined, another few ships hit damned VH2 mines - PC and AK has to to be scuttled. It will take some time until i get all troops on the beach. Baby KB and Yamashiro TF finally get through into Bund sea, while my Glens found his SC TFs north of Timor.

Mutsu BB did not repeat good performance at JB - only 390 casaulties this time were reported. I guess that AP Zelandia is guilty for that - she was in base hex waiting for my BB TF. Of course she was sunk, but it seems that BB TF spent ops points or ammunition...

Did I tell you importance of bombing? Last time i had 2-1 odds and fort level 5... i expected similar results but... oh well, resting my troops this turn.

Ground combat at Johore Bahru

Attacking force 193645 troops, 2092 guns, 164 vehicles

Defending force 54852 troops, 345 guns, 25 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 5)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 4

Japanese ground losses:
3315 casualties reported
Guns lost 54
Vehicles lost 1

Allied ground losses:
2450 casualties reported
Guns lost 35
Vehicles lost 1

Bulla captured. It seems that my paras at Pagan are pain in the ... for Andy (he told me it was superb move). That's good.

Nells from Kuching caught enemy APs at Batavia. Results aren't satisfying.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9
G3M Nell x 15

Allied aircraft
Hawk 75A x 3
CW-21B Demon x 5
Brewster 339D x 8

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Hawk 75A: 1 destroyed
CW-21B Demon: 1 destroyed
Brewster 339D: 2 destroyed

Allied Ships
AK Poelau Tello, Torpedo hits 1
AK Meroendoeng
AP Pijnacker Hordijk, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

Day Air attack on TF at 24,58 (from Palembang - BB TF is going to bombard Batavia)

Allied aircraft
Beaufort V-IX x 4

Allied aircraft losses
Beaufort V-IX: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna
BB Kongo

CHINA

3 enemy LCU are now in hex between Wuchow and Canton - supply lines for my divisions near Hengchow are cut now, but that could be just minor problem. I hope that Andy would not go for Canton - i have only mix bde, 2 eng rtgs, SBF and art units there. Fort level is 6 but i don't feel safe (can't stop thinking about green units which were spoted N of Wuchow - eng units?) Anyway can't stop operation now. Deliberate attack on Changsha ordered now - 10 div + mix bde + plenty of support. Enemy have 7-8 corps there.

Ground combat at Changsha

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 4040 troops, 133 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 73655 troops, 497 guns, 0 vehicles

Allied ground losses:
170 casualties reported
Guns lost 3

< Message edited by pauk -- 11/12/2005 10:17:04 AM >

(in reply to boba)
Post #: 96
RE: good turn - 11/12/2005 11:09:36 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

I'd say go for India too, but not before Sosarbaja and the SRA are taken. Grab Java and then go for India before the end of April.

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 97
Naval clash at Kendari! - 11/12/2005 10:22:45 PM   
pauk

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/09/42

I was expecting easy job at the Kendari - light SC TF ordered to clear Kendari area from pesky PTs. But i could not believe my eyes, Andy send allied "combined fleet" to Kendari which means he probably did not spot Baby KB yesterday. If only i knew this i would send B KB east and eat his fleet... well, the golden opportunity is missed but sooner or latter Andy will pay for such risky tactic. I decided not to pursue enemy fleet with CV's because can't believe he would repeat such thing and i can not catch his ships.

I can consider myself lucky, it could be even worse: Yeah , lost CL Nagara and 5 (probably 6) DDs but CA Houston is heavily damaged and PoW gets two torps (I suprised him in second encounter). Let's hope that my vultures (I-boats) can found and sink PoW.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Kendari at 33,71

Japanese Ships
CL Nagara, Shell hits 1
DD Yukikaze
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Yamakaze
DD Kawakaze, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
DD Umikaze, Shell hits 9, on fire, heavy damage
DD Suzukaze
DD Shiokaze

Allied Ships
BB Prince of Wales
BB Revenge, Shell hits 1
BC Repulse
CA Houston, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CA Canberra
CA Cornwall
CA Exeter
CL Perth, Shell hits 1
CL Enterprise
CL Durban
CL Glasgow
CL Boise
CLAA Columbo
DD Vampire
DD Vendetta
DD Scout
DD Tenedos
DD Electra
DD Express

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
E7K2 Alf: 1 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CL Nagara, Shell hits 4, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Yukikaze, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Yamakaze, Shell hits 5, on fire
DD Kawakaze, Shell hits 6, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
DD Umikaze, Shell hits 4, and is sunk
DD Suzukaze, Shell hits 6, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
DD Shiokaze, Shell hits 12, and is sunk

Allied Ships
BB Prince of Wales, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 2, on fire
BB Revenge, Shell hits 2
BC Repulse, Shell hits 3
CA Houston, Shell hits 5, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CA Canberra
CA Cornwall, Shell hits 2
CA Exeter
CL Perth
CL Enterprise
CL Durban
CL Glasgow
CL Boise
CLAA Columbo, Shell hits 1
DD Vampire
DD Vendetta
DD Scout
DD Tenedos
DD Electra, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Express

PoW probably is not heavily damaged, but she will be out of action for some time.

Fast BBs bombarded Batavia and scored some nice hits:

Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless: 1 destroyed

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna
BB Kongo
CL Jintsu

Allied Ships
AP Van Riebeek, Shell hits 1, on fire
AK Meroendoeng, Shell hits 1, on fire
AK Sipora, Shell hits 2, on fire
AP Pijnacker Hordijk, Shell hits 1, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
1584 casualties reported
Guns lost 21
Vehicles lost 1

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 9
Port hits 2
Port fuel hits 2
Port supply hits 1

Enemy is withdrawing from Johore Baru and i expecting easy job there tomorrow. Sweep over Kendari: 4 Hawks shot down, all Zeros returned safetly in to Menado.

Manila heavily bombarded from the air (+150 army bombers). Noticed that damage repair at the slower rate. Supply problem?

CHINA:

Attacking force 230980 troops, 2859 guns, 42 vehicles

Defending force 77166 troops, 528 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 3

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 3)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 3

Japanese ground losses:
5119 casualties reported
Guns lost 164
Vehicles lost 6

Allied ground losses:
3844 casualties reported
Guns lost 80

We will continue with attack but only with half troops we have in Changsha - other are too disrupted. Enemy massing his units north of Canton....

BURMA:

Although i was aware that Andy can put LR CAP over Pagan i hoped that T-storms will be my ally. Unfortunatly his fighters shot down 6 transports...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by pauk -- 11/12/2005 10:23:32 PM >

(in reply to Gen.Hoepner)
Post #: 98
Jaunuary, 10th 1942 - 11/13/2005 11:21:46 AM   
pauk

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/10/42

My units did not find resistance at Johore Baru - base is deserted but Mutsu TF caught them during night and caused more than 2.000 casaulties. There is no reason to wait and "Malaya group Army" continues to march - into Singapore!

I finally unload majority of combat troops in Amboina. Unfortunatly my subs did not attack any of numerous ship in Kendari area... grrrr!

BURMA

Expected better performance here. Andy bombed paras from the air.

Day Air attack on Mandalay , at 33,30

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 26
Ki-46-II Dinah x 1

Allied aircraft
Lysander I x 7
Buffalo I x 16
Hurricane II x 7
P-40E Warhawk x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 4 destroyed, 2 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Lysander I: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged
Buffalo I: 5 destroyed
Hurricane II: 4 destroyed

-------------------------------------------

Day Air attack on 2nd Parachute Regiment, at 31,31

Allied aircraft
Lysander I x 8
Buffalo I x 6
Hurricane II x 8
CW-22 Falcon x 2
Beaufort V-IX x 5
B-17E Fortress x 7

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
28 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x Hurricane II bombing at 2000 feet
3 x Beaufort V-IX bombing at 6000 feet
8 x Lysander I bombing at 2000 feet
4 x B-17E Fortress bombing at 6000 feet
2 x Beaufort V-IX bombing at 6000 feet
3 x B-17E Fortress bombing at 6000 feet

CHINA

Didn't expect miracle in Changsha, but fort level should be going down.. phew!

Attacking force 116355 troops, 1370 guns, 22 vehicles

Defending force 86394 troops, 529 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 3)

Japanese ground losses:
2532 casualties reported
Guns lost 57
Vehicles lost 6

Allied ground losses:
1381 casualties reported
Guns lost 36

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 99
RE: Jaunuary, 10th 1942 - 11/13/2005 12:07:07 PM   
String

Changsha is a wonderful town in china. It can be a decisive backbreaker for the chinese or a very costly delay for the japanese. Let me elaborate, you see, changsha is one of the very few cities in china which has a clear terrain. Meaning that a shock attack can be used to a devastating effect, on both sides. More than once I've set back the japanese plans for conquest by shock attacking their units right out when they arrived, as shock attack doubles the attackers AP's then it's quite possible to oust sizeable forces of japanese with a large number of chinese units.

The same goes for the japanese ofcourse, with one exception, the chinese can and will build forts. Each corps has some engineers attatched and when large numbers are present then they can continue building forts even while the airfield is under moderately strong air attack.

Regardless, when the chinese concentrate their forces there, and japan concentrates even more, then the chinese corps can be shock attacked out, routed and then the same can be done a turn later in the hex west of changsha, severely reducing the combat effectiveness of a large part of the chinese army. Achieving the balance of forces that can do it while keeping other parts of the front stable is troublesome and difficult, but doable.

Oh and Pauk, don't evacuate canton as you did vs me. It's an urban hex with forts iirc. If you even have a single division or brigade there then there is no way the chinese are going to take it unless they bring the bulk of their army there, which means other parts of the front would be left unsecure.

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 100
RE: good turn - 11/13/2005 10:36:05 PM   
boba

quote:

thanks boba (BTW great sig!)

Tnx, I've made it myself

quote:

I'm more and more convinced that this is the only way i should act - before his reinforcements arrive in India and before the saved fragments from Malaya and PI can be bring back at the full strengh.

Just don't try it before you finish with Malaya and Java/Sumatra. You'll need as much DIVs as you can muster...

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 101
: Jaunuary, 11th 1942 - 11/14/2005 2:40:34 AM   
pauk

Thx String for useful advices, and do not worry, i wont evacuate Canton. Strong naval unit (100 AV) joined brigade in the base and have fort level 6. No big news for today except Mavis found enemy TF traveling NW (southern NG), towards B KB. After long discussion, Yamamoto ordered B KB to retreat towards Menado. I know that my fleet(s) will be spoted but knowing my "luck" i can not affort to risk. It is probably enemy CV TF (one CV?!), enemy force with i can deal with 2 CVL and CVE Hosho, but sorry folks it's not going to happend. I can not run into action without knowing enemy strengh.

BURMA: enemy units will reach Mandalay, but i can be very pleased with this theatre so far. In addition, Andy bombing my paras in Pagan area and losing ac - 4 of them lost (ops)...

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/11/42

Oh, great, allied PTs located my TF with radar?! Isn't that supposed to be fixed?

Japanese Ships
CL Yura
DD Oboro
DD Kikuzuki
DD Yuzuki, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Sagi
DD Kiji

Allied Ships
PT PT-31
PT PT-32, Shell hits 19, and is sunk
PT PT-35
PT PT-41
PT PT-46

Another nice sweep over Batavia.

Day Air attack on Batavia , at 19,59

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 17

Allied aircraft
Wirraway x 3
Hawk 75A x 3
CW-21B Demon x 11
Brewster 339D x 8

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Wirraway: 1 destroyed
Hawk 75A: 2 destroyed
CW-21B Demon: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
Brewster 339D: 5 destroyed

---------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF at 23,59 - Near Batavia

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 12

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
AP Le Maire, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He is reinforcing Changsha

Attacking force 3756 troops, 118 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 84532 troops, 475 guns, 0 vehicles

Allied ground losses:
216 casualties reported
Guns lost 4

(in reply to String)
Post #: 102
RE: : Jaunuary, 12th 1942 - 11/14/2005 11:20:03 AM   
pauk

Hm, thanks guys for advices for the India but my idea was exactly this - forces from Malaya goes to India, KB returns and support invasion on Java with "Philippine divisions" and after that reinforcing India. I believe that I can caught Andy off guard only with such operation there... neither me do like this risky operation, but feeling that i have better chances for success in that way. We shall see....

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/12/42

I can cheers for AWS hits, finally - SS-37 is hit from the air near Singapore, and APDs found another one. But, ASW results are pathetic comparing to game against String.

Malaya group army advancing towards Singapore and should reach city tomorrow. Sallys bombing ground units in the base and i'm interested about results of tomorrow shock attack (6 divs, 4 mix bdes, eng...).

Amboina falls and air force (2 zero chutai, 2 LBA daitais) moved in. Mavis chutai ordered for night attack on Koepang but i'm having no big expectations (Houston is probably there).

ASW attack near Cotabato at 41,60

Japanese Ships
APD APD-39
APD APD-38
APD APD-37
APD APD-36
APD APD-35
APD APD-34
APD APD-33
APD APD-32
DD Yamagumo

Allied Ships
SS Narwhal, hits 1, on fire

--------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Amboina

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 8124 troops, 40 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 1753 troops, 13 guns, 2 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 22 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Amboina base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
134 casualties reported
Guns lost 5

Allied ground losses:
2631 casualties reported
Guns lost 2
Vehicles lost 1

-------------------------------------
Look at this Kamikaze Philippines!

Ground combat at Cagayan

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 917 troops, 9 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 3969 troops, 11 guns, 0 vehicles

Allied assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied ground losses:
238 casualties reported
Guns lost 5

CHINA

Flying Scottsman moved majority of his troops from Changsha - is it another trick from him? (I had opponent who moved out and then moved in to the city troops and my attack was heavily repulsed. Well I have to try....

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 103
RE: : Jaunuary, 12th 1942 - 11/14/2005 1:27:36 PM   
boba

quote:

ORIGINAL: pauk

Hm, thanks guys for advices for the India but my idea was exactly this - forces from Malaya goes to India, KB returns and support invasion on Java with "Philippine divisions" and after that reinforcing India. I believe that I can caught Andy off guard only with such operation there... neither me do like this risky operation, but feeling that i have better chances for success in that way. We shall see...

I'm not sure you need to commit whole KB for invasion of Java, you have several good bases on Borneo and Macassar which can provide good air cover for invasion TFs and for bombing raids on Java bases. So, in my oppinion, 6 CVs are not rally needed there.
At least, I'm a big fan of using KB in Pacific to wreck havoc with allied shipping and disrupt convoys to Australia . In my oppinion, baby KB can perform well with all of it's fighters upgraded to Zeros (at least with providing CAP to TFs), so it can replace KB in such tasks.

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 104
RE: : Jaunuary, 12th 1942 - 11/15/2005 2:25:49 PM   
pauk

you are right, boba but for big operation like India i need all CVs. After i unload troops there and grab one or two bases KB is not necessary there. So Java isn't far away from the India - actually it is on the way from India to SE Pacific.

Main problem with using KB against shipping in the Pacific is that Andy using his transports in quite unusual way. If you recall, i did not sail away towards Japan right after PH. I hide KB and wait for damaged ships - but Andy "strategy" is "naval guard" consisting of one MSW or PC on the sea rute from PH to West Coast. And i managed to sink few of them!

I'm not happy with this "strategy" and afraid he can use it on sea route PH-Palmira-Canton-Fiji-Noumea-Australia, arguing that this is important for him like securing PH-WC route in that way.

The outcome of KB raid would be another few PCs sink (and if i'm lucky one or two small AKs) and another month lost....

Well, it is not my game...

(in reply to boba)
Post #: 105
RE: : Jaunuary, 12th 1942 - 11/15/2005 4:41:22 PM   
boba

I had India succesfuly taken in my PacWar game (I know it's much older game but basics should be about same) by first taking Ceylon and using it's and Burma bases for my AF. I suppose that tactic could be used in WitP also?

As for raiding in South Pacific... he has to move supplies/troops from USA to Australia, right? For that, he must use large convoys, or it would take tooo much time/logistic to ship full division in 10 small convoys for instance. Try to use your Glen subs as pickets (they are good in that role) and split KB in 2-3 detachments for hunting (if you have an idea where are US CVs, if not-don't do it) once you spot convoys. It should be enough to catch few juicy convoys, and also to divert his attention to SP for some time, thus maybe giving you surprise factor for India operation.

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 106
Changsha falls! - 11/16/2005 12:29:52 PM   
pauk

Seems reasonable. We shall see.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/13/42

Nell's from Amboina attack enemy SC TF NE of the Koepang (this SC TF protecting Kendari). Not the outstanding results, but one less enemy ships available for the action. Baby KB ordered to intercept this surface TF despite the potential danger of Allied CV(s) - Devastators attack my subs in Koepang area, but i assume that Andy moved them to base like he did with Wildcats and Dauntless earlier.

Day Air attack on TF at 30,75

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 1 destroyed, 7 damaged

Allied Ships
CLAA Ceres, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DD Van Nes
CL Tromp

I-165 is sunk at Koepang. SS I-9 torpedoed AK Elout NW of Koepang (hm, fuel transport to Timor?)

Malaya group Army arrived at the Singapore and reduced fort level to 4!. Unforutunatly, all my units have high disruption (80+?!?!) and I have to wait few days.

Ground combat at Singapore

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 196961 troops, 2034 guns, 170 vehicles

Defending force 63645 troops, 497 guns, 28 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 6)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 4

Japanese ground losses:
3857 casualties reported
Guns lost 100
Vehicles lost 7

Allied ground losses:
1683 casualties reported
Guns lost 85
Vehicles lost 5

CHINA

Anbandoned Changsha falls in Japanese hands now! Good because i fear that battle for Changsha will be bloody. My forces NE of Changsha (2 divs, bde) and at Hengchow (5 divs) wasn't enough to encircle him so lets cheers!

Imperial HQ start looking at two plans:

#1... advancing towards south (clearing railroad line)
#2... advancing towards Ichang (after capture of the city, Army will advance towards north with goal to cut Sian)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to boba)
Post #: 107
RE: Changsha falls! - 11/17/2005 12:04:28 PM   
pauk

Andy told me in the mail that he is deeply dissapointed with Singapore defender performance... hm, not sure what he was expecting... 6 crack divisions with plenty of support faced with lots of enemy (decimated from previous fights or due to evacuation) units. Actually i'm dissapointed because although i got 2-1 ods my units are fatigued too much (80)....

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/14/42

Not a much to report, enemy SC TF withdrew to Koepang (I saw headline of Andy's post in the his AAR - operation Alamo. It is probably plan for defending at Koepang). New light SC TF created and ordered to clear Kendari from pesky PT boats.

Invasion fleet is on the route too.

I expected better results of night bombing Batavia. Only 500 cas, and one or two ac destroyed on the ground. What is even worse, DD Samidare hits mine (although i'm pretty sure that i have no escort bombard orders!?) and she is runing for safe base - Kuching.

ASW forces finally claims succes. Enemy sub did not move from Cotabo for two turns and payed for it dearly.

ASW attack near Cotabato at 41,60

Japanese Ships
PC Ch 23
PC Ch 22
PC Ch 21
PC Ch 20
PC Ch 5
PG Kamitsu Maru
PG Aso Maru
DD Yugure

Allied Ships
SS Narwhal, hits 4, on fire, heavy damage

CHINA]

I don't know which plan i'm going to use? A-go is traditional and safe, B-plan is ambitious but enemy can easily counters me (withdrawing units to Chungking and then sending them towards Sian to cutt of my troops.

BURMA

Paras take Myitkyina, but i have to capture Lashio or move paras towards Yunen if i want close Burma road. Well i have nasty little plan - only one unit (BF?) spoted in Yunan so this means city is open for my paras - it will take some time while i bring Paras in Burma, but i like this small sneaky operations

Ground combat at Myitkyina

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 110 troops, 1 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Myitkyina base !!!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 108
RE: Changsha falls! - 11/17/2005 2:20:09 PM   
boba

quote:

ORIGINAL: pauk

CHINA]

I don't know which plan i'm going to use? A-go is traditional and safe, B-plan is ambitious but enemy can easily counters me (withdrawing units to Chungking and then sending them towards Sian to cutt of my troops.

I'd go with A, this gives you great maneuverability in south and central China (in fact, this is what I'm doing in my current PBEM)
Since you took Myitkyina and Rangoon, you should already closed Burma road so Allies should start having troubles with supplys soon. When that happens, go to offensive in China.

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 109
i hate PTs!!! - 11/18/2005 1:48:28 PM   
pauk

Thanks, Imperial HQ approved A-go: Burma road is not closed yet because there is supply path between Ledo and Yunan (via Mandalay) but paras will do it in near future. I have one little beatiful plan here... stay tuned.

This is what i got from Andy in e-mail:

quote:

Ill return the favour !!!

I am not complaining as such about performance now but about the whole campaign in Malaya.

You sucked me in and caught me by surprise !!!

When you only sent 1 Bde and 1 Div to Khota on the early attack and sent one of the Divs normally assigned to Malaya to PI I thought you were not putting 100% effort into Malaya. (Not realising the Burma frorces would be used in Malaya) and that you were going for an all out effort to finish PI early

On that flimsy premise my whole strategy rested.

I was actually reinforcing Malaya with men and supplies but my Bdes couldnt run fast enough to avoid getting retreated from Alor Star as a result when I got to Johore my army was in tatters then you committed all those Battleships so my options were poor stay and get bombarded and retreated again or withdraw.

p.s. committing the Battlelien that early was risky but it was a good move it really bounced me out of Johore despite the mines/ subs and torpedo bombers.

In hindsight I should not have withdrawn from Johore quite as quickly as I did as even with the bombardments from air and sea my whole army having prepped for Johore from day 1 I would have been able to hold for a couple of days longer. (but it would have been days !!!!)

I am now in a situation where Malaya will fall a month early which makes Java, India and Australia a little more exposed than I would like especially as those divisions in Malaya are not that chewed up...

Hey, I did not know I'm THAT good. Seriously, after that i can only say WiTP is great game. Like in real life you can't know exactly if your plans worked perfectly and you are faced with decisions (good or wrong) based on limited intel you got from the game...

But don't believe everything my esteemed opponent say. Yes, i outplayed him in the opening moves, but he avoid dissaster so far: his units from Malaya will be rebuilt (counted 10 subs sailing from Singapore last turn) and he did not loose a capital ship yet. On the other side, im outraged with losses of my precious DDs (see latter) so far...

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/15/42

Not a much to report. Enemy is keeping from LBA range in the SRA and withdrawing in the other theatres. After another miserable results against 4 PTs (every time when this happens i think about Mogami's words: dont understand why are you whining. Just send couple of DDs there....) i lost my nerves and ordered invasion fleet to move in Kendari. 3 small TFs have orders to deal (yeah, right) with enemy boats.

Lost contact with PoW TF, only light SC found in Koepang waters.

Buahaha (histeric laugh)!. My commander is skilled one (both ratings over 60) and he gained tactical advantage.... buahhahaa

Japanese Ships
CL Natori
DD Michishio, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DD Hibiki
DD Ikazuchi, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Inazuma

Allied Ships
PT PT-31
PT PT-35
PT PT-41
PT PT-46

SBF and const. battalion unloading at the abandoned Balikpapan.

Andy bombing my paras near Mandalay last two turns with fighters too. LR CAP ordered for tomorrow.

Abandoned Hengchow liberated and 4 SB-2s destroyed on the ground.

(in reply to boba)
Post #: 110
Kendari invasion - 11/19/2005 10:49:51 AM   
pauk

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/16/42

Balikpapan captured with almost no damaged oil field!

Invasion of Kendari proceeding, but not so smoothly. Again PTs proved they are real danger. Andy moved Devastators to Kendari and i have to pay a price. However, South Seas Det. is unloaded and ordered for shock attack.

Buahahaa... again my commander gains tactical advantage!

Japanese Ships
CL Natori
DD Hibiki, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DD Inazuma

Allied Ships
PT PT-31
PT PT-35
PT PT-41
PT PT-46

2 PG's latter sunk 2 dutch PT's, sweep over Kendari was success (7 enemy planes shot down).

Day Air attack on TF, near Kendari at 33,71

Allied aircraft
TBD Devastator x 9
Hawk 75A x 2
Brewster 339D x 8

Allied aircraft losses
TBD Devastator: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
AP Gyoko Maru
AP Heiwa Maru, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Bangkok Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Day Air attack on TF at 29,75

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 3
G4M1 Betty x 15

Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 2 destroyed, 7 damaged

Allied Ships
CL Danae
CL Tromp
CL Marblehead

Srike from Amboina on enemy TF NNE of Koepang.

Allied aircraft
TBD Devastator x 7
Brewster 339D x 5

Allied aircraft losses
TBD Devastator: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
AV Sanuki Maru, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
sinks

grrrrrr....

CHINA & BURMA

Chinese partisans (railroad Wuhan- Hsiyang?) finally surended. I'm moving my units to south Chaina via railroad. It seems that enemy masses troops in Kwelin (which was abandoned by my forces earlier)

BURMA - my LR CAP did not worked - enemy attacked Pagan not my LCUs.

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 111
Second battle at Kendari! - 11/19/2005 3:07:07 PM   
pauk

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/17/42

SRA

Andy send (again!) his naval force to Kendari, despite the danger of Baby KB. I run again in ambush and pay it with one CL and 4 DDs, but fortunatly Kates from B KB and Nells caught enemy TF during day phase. Andy lost CL Tromp and CL Daneu (?) and two DDs while Marblehead and several other ships are damaged. It is tactical draw, but strategic defeat for Japan and my only hope is to catch damaged ships tomorrow.

Japanese Ships
CL Yura, Shell hits 2
DD Oboro
DD Kikuzuki, Shell hits 3
DD Sagi, Shell hits 23, and is sunk
DD Kiji, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
CL Tromp
CL Danae, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CL Marblehead
CLAA Capetown, Shell hits 1
DD Alden
DD Bulmer
DD John D. Edwards
DD Paul Jones
DD Parrott
DD Whipple
DD Stewart
DD Banckert
DD Van Nes, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Witte de With
DD Evertsen
DD Kortenaer
DD Piet Hein
DD Electra
DD Express

-----------------------------------------------

Japanese Ships
CL Yura, Shell hits 9, on fire, heavy damage
DD Oboro, Shell hits 15, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Kikuzuki, Shell hits 21, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Kiji, Shell hits 8, on fire

Allied Ships
CL Tromp, Shell hits 3, on fire
CL Danae, Shell hits 9, on fire
CL Marblehead, Shell hits 5
CLAA Capetown
DD Alden, Shell hits 7, on fire, heavy damage
DD Bulmer, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD John D. Edwards
DD Paul Jones
DD Parrott
DD Whipple
DD Stewart
DD Banckert
DD Van Nes, on fire
DD Witte de With
DD Evertsen
DD Kortenaer
DD Piet Hein, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Electra, Shell hits 1
DD Express

-----------------------------------------

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
E7K2 Alf: 2 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CL Yura, Shell hits 51, and is sunk
DD Kiji, Shell hits 23, and is sunk

Allied Ships
CL Tromp, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CL Danae, Shell hits 3, on fire
CL Marblehead, Shell hits 3, on fire
CLAA Capetown
DD Alden, on fire, heavy damage
DD Bulmer, on fire
DD John D. Edwards
DD Paul Jones
DD Parrott
DD Whipple
DD Stewart
DD Banckert
DD Van Nes, on fire
DD Witte de With
DD Evertsen
DD Kortenaer
DD Piet Hein, on fire
DD Electra
DD Express

Day phase. Strike from Baby KB

Day Air attack on TF, near Kendari at 33,71

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 2
B5N Kate x 31

Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N Kate: 15 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Brewster 339D: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
DD Whipple, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
CLAA Capetown, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DD Kortenaer, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CL Marblehead, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
DD Witte de With
DD Evertsen, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

Day Air attack on TF, near Kendari at 33,71 from Balikpapan

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 18
G4M1 Betty x 18

Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 1 destroyed, 9 damaged

Allied aircraft losses

Allied Ships
CL Tromp, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Alden, on fire, heavy damage

Ground combat at Kendari

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 7140 troops, 85 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 1295 troops, 13 guns, 2 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 13 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Kendari base !!!

Allied aircraft losses

Japanese ground losses:
29 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Allied ground losses:
94 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Deliberate attack on Singapore was solid, but nothing more. T-storms in Malaya prevents air strikes on Singapore. Disruption is not to big and i ordered shock attack for tomorrow - lets hope for the best.

Attacking force 189288 troops, 1844 guns, 167 vehicles

Defending force 58526 troops, 454 guns, 29 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 4)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 3

Japanese ground losses:
2597 casualties reported
Guns lost 102
Vehicles lost 11

Allied ground losses:
2582 casualties reported
Guns lost 112
Vehicles lost 2

PHILIPPINES

Lamon Bay captured - we don't want allow Allies to retreat in this base. Air HQ arrives in Clark Field and in next few days all Army bombers will operate from this base.

CHINA

Air strike on Ichang - this is only divertion, hopefully Andy will assume that I'm going for Ichang first. Two succesful attacks on enemy "partisans" which are send in hex with my units just to reset their movement.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 112
RE: Second battle at Kendari! - 11/19/2005 3:22:34 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

Think you both are playing a great match here guys...really a good read!

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 113
SINGAPORE FALLS! 85.000 PoWs! - 11/19/2005 5:27:59 PM   
pauk

Thx, Gen. Lots of action this turn...and Singapore falls with more than 80.000 prisoners!

Strategic situation is intersting, indeed. Last few weeks i'm reckoning Java and despite numerous enemy units captured in the Singapore enemy seems to be strong there. But lets enjoy in this turn, i will make precise analysis in my next turn (and ask for advice(s), of course.

I'm really stupid sometimes - watched the whole ground combat animation and when enemy units starts to surrender take a print screen but forget to copy&paste after that! bah!

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/18/42

A good start - Dutch sub sinks with men!

Sub attack at 37,56

Japanese Ships
PC Ch 23
PC Ch 22
PC Ch 21
PC Ch 20
PC Ch 5
PG Kamitsu Maru
PG Aso Maru
DD Yugure

Allied Ships
SS KXVIII, hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
14 casualties reported

BB Yamashiro-Fuso TF intercepted 4 enemy PTs, two of them are sank, unfortunatly another hit on my DD (Yukaze). She probably wont make it...

My LBA were successful this turn and i get consolation for yesterday: 3 Nells from Kendari (I'm airlifting BF from Menado) hit AD Black Hawk with torpedo and I-16 finished her little latter.

Heavily damaged CL Marblehead didn't have chance against my Nells and she sinks too. Meanwhile, LBA from Balikpapan found two enemy destroyers:

Allied Ships
DD Bulmer, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Van Nes, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

...and latter sunk DD Evertsen. Zeros on the naval attack looked for pesky PT boats but found DD Kortenaer( Shell hits 4, heavy damage).

So, Andy lost 3 CLs and 3 DDs (i hope for 3 DD more) as result of his daring night raid on Kendari and i feel slightly better.

Need to be mentioned, several ships spoted while they sailing towards Koepang (from Australia). Well, i hope he won't withdraw this ships because Mutsu TF arrived in Kendari and with a little help (evil laugh) from the real KB we can decimate enemy strengh on the sea!

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 185413 troops, 1701 guns, 151 vehicles

Defending force 54657 troops, 325 guns, 31 vehicles

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Singapore base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
3695 casualties reported
Guns lost 58
Vehicles lost 8

Allied ground losses:
86287 casualties reported
Guns lost 168
Vehicles lost 4

BURMA

Enemy abandoned Mandalay. It seems that he is really scared with threat of invading India!

CHINA

usual stuff - dealing with Chinese partisans. I'm preparing a suprise for tomorrow. It is a very risky but if i succed with this operation, Andy will start screaming....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by pauk -- 11/19/2005 5:29:06 PM >

(in reply to Gen.Hoepner)
Post #: 114
Enterprise attacked! - 11/20/2005 1:58:45 AM   
pauk

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/19/42

Well, i don't know where to start!

We missed the golden oportunity to hurt enemy CV force - LBA from Kendari attacked Enterprise but didn't score a hit... day by day Andy suprises me with un-ortodox moves like the last one... I have KB near Amboina, but doubt that Andy will leave me second chance. Enterprise is probably on route to India, but can not affort myself to send KB there (just based on my expectations. I would kill myself if E stays in the area and KB is Indian Ocean)

Here on picture is strategic overview and i'm pretty suprised with enemy strengh in Java and Sumatra (ok, i'm ready for usual tricks like dividing units, but what is too much is too much)... especially because several Dutch units surrenders in Singapore (NS garnison, WS gar. Riouw gar. Gull force, Sparrow force).

What do you guys think about this? Need to be mentioned - 5 indian bdes, 2 Aus bde, 2 Malaya bdes, 3 ISF BF, Malaya Aviation and quite a lot American troops (evacuated from Manila) are surrendered in Singapore.... I expect that Andy evacuated majority of the troops from S. (fragments) and send them to India... experts, do you have idea about how long does it takes to bring this fragments to full strengh?

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 25
G3M Nell x 7

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 22
Hawk 75A x 1
Brewster 339D x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 8 destroyed, 1 damaged
G3M Nell: 2 destroyed, 3 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat: 2 destroyed, 4 damaged
Hawk 75A: 1 destroyed
Brewster 339D: 3 destroyed

Allied Ships
CV Enterprise

CA Houston reported sunk, but naval bombardment of Batavia was again big dissapointed (no single plane destroyed on the ground, only 115 casaulties)

]BURMA & CHINA

Taung Gyi captured, but this is only secondaty news. Enemy captured (anbandoned) Myitkyina and this is a first time i heard disgusting "hip-hip hoorah"... but doesn't matter because my little nasty plan was capturing Yunan! Andy probably sent one unit to intercept my paras (from Myitkyna) which are advancing towards Yunan - can't be sure because i wasn't reconing this area last few turns (did not want to alert the enemy). However, other para regiment attacked Yunan which was almost empty... only one small regiment of Chinese division (I'm guess this LCU is airlifted to the India)... great!

Now the Burma road is closed and we will try to keep it as long as we can (considering air-lifting mix bde there)...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 115
Nice bombardment of Batavia - 11/20/2005 4:14:18 PM   
pauk

Imperial HQ reconsidering plan of invasion of India!

Most prominent Japanese general (pauk) officialy visited Emperor where he is decorated with Golden Kite, a prestige war decoration. According to Japan Imperial News Agency, Emperor and pauk had conversation in private. It has been speculated that pauk showed overal strategical situation in the Great Empire (see map)

However, our source from Imperial HQ told us that inital plans for Australia invasion are reopened....

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/20/42

It has been reported that enemy moving damaged BBs from PH strike to SF. Four subs sent to intercept them but Andy knows how to protect his capital ships - I-26 I-21 are sunk. It is interesting that Dauntless attacked subs too - could it be brand new american CV traveling towards PH?

Now, the good news:

Second bombardment TF done their job propertly at Batavia- 44 ac destroyed on the ground

Naval bombardment of Batavia, at 19,59

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless: 5 destroyed
Hawk 75A: 4 destroyed
CW-21B Demon: 6 destroyed
Wirraway: 2 destroyed
PB2Y Coronado: 2 destroyed
Martin 139: 5 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CA Maya
CA Ashigara
CA Chokai

Allied ground losses:
1067 casualties reported
Guns lost 26

Airbase hits 13
Airbase supply hits 10
Runway hits 51
Port hits 1

Zeros from Balikpapan sunk Dutch PT boat, only one of them survived. DD Bulmar reported sunk. I-162 attacked DD Kortenaer (heavy damage) but torpedos missed. I'm very dissapointed with performance of my subs so far.

CV Enterprise dissapears although i moved glen equiped subs W of Koepang. Does it mean that Andy withdraw her close to Australia (Darvin, Derby)?

BURMA & CHINA

Our paras didn't find Mandalay empty - one Burmanese brigade came back into city and repulsed attack. Anyway, a bulk of enemy force withdrawing to the India while several units advancing toward captured Yunan.

In my opinion, India invasion becomes questionable:

a) Andy certainly isn't stupid - evacuation of Burma prove it. This bdes will reinforce India defence significantly.
b) it seems that majority of enemy air force withdrew to India (+ i saw only one squadron of damned Beauforts in SRA so far)
c) Java is closer to Australia and i can undertake this operation earlier than India
d) Lex air crews are on ground AFs, Enterprise probably goes to India - so southern route are clear! (if E don't goes to India than it's better - Kido Butai will smash them!)
e)Andy expecting my offensive either on India either Australia (yeah, under of impression of String and mine AAR) - that gives me opportunity to caught him in Pacific (which is very silent for now)

One thing is for sure: i will feint invasion on India (Burma army will prepare for India bases, assign lot's of recon to Calcutta, Dacca etc...) and hope for the best.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by pauk -- 11/20/2005 4:42:18 PM >

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 116
January, 21st 1942 - 11/20/2005 10:10:22 PM   
pauk

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/21/42

A very quiet turn (as Oleg used to compare with combatreport - only 1.69kb think it is record!). This doesn't mean that nothing happens - there is lot's of stuff behind the scene.

Naval search located enemy CV (CVs?) at Derby, so this means he is going to stay some time in the Northern Australia waters - good, but only if my plan will work perfectly (i will say later something about Death-trap-go).

several units are moving towards Palembang (from south) - few troops but lots of guns and AVFs so it means that sneaky Scottsman would like to damage MY oil at Palembang. Unforutantly there is nothing I can do about it righ now...

One enemy AK reported sunk in Bombay (!), while other attacked in Indian Ocean by I-166. Yeah, you are guessing right - torps missed. Phew! DD Van Nes (damaged) arrives at Soerbaja but my mines did not hit her.. another phew!

My recon pilots bring photos of Tijlap (sp?) and 10 transports were reported in port plus few more at the base. Did I tell you that this base is also mined but not hits so far...phew! LBA from Kuching are on naval/port attack, but i don't expect too much from them:
Andy will probably move transports from port and/or my LBA won't fly tomorrow (like they refused today and many times in my previous PBEM games - i tell you guys Kuching is black hole, but nobody listening!)

Sorong will be occupied tomorrow. South Seas Detachment heads for Masaccar... and that's all folks!

WAR INDUSTRY:

It seems that i will have enough supply for expanding my industry. First choice is obvious - naval industry (repair yards and naval shipyards).

I'm wondering what plane to research, and more i think the more i like Jack. Good plane, better than Zeke arrives six month before Zekes. Something telling me that this is a good choice for the opponent like Mac...

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 117
RE: January, 22nd 1942 - 11/22/2005 6:36:06 PM   
pauk

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/22/42

Sometimes the best turns are the ones where you don't expect anything special. Andy become pretty easy going and leaves transports Tjilitjap port. But before the slaughter in Tjilitjap port my Nells from Singapore attacked CLAA Capetown and sank her.

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 6 damaged

Allied Ships
CLAA Capetown, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Lot's of ships there. Recon reported 13 ships in the port and several outside the port. Are they on evacuation mission or transport (or reinforcing?!?!) - doesn't matter because Andy haven't got air support here. It is interesting situation and i don't know what he waiting with his B17 and other bombers: i can't believe that his air force is in such bad condition... hmmmmm.....

Enemy CV(s) located E of Derby - sailing towards Broome.

Day Air attack on Tjilitjap , at 19,62

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 7
G4M1 Betty x 27

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 4 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Poelau Tello, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AK Boelongan, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AP Van Riebeek, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AK Tjikarang, Bomb hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AK Pasir, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AK Bintoehan, Bomb hits 1, on fire

My troops unloading at Toboali and Macassar. Unfortunatly, forget to load supply on fleet for Macassar and i will have to wait few turns til supply come.

Sorong occupied.

PHILIPPINES

Usual bombings and bombardments over the last week. Now i've decided to try another attack on Manila. All army bombers should attack and help tomorrow our brave army and we shell see if i can do something at Manila with deliberate attack. Look at the strengh of my Air forces:

Day Air attack on Manila , at 43,52

Japanese aircraft
C5M Babs x 5
Ki-21 Sally x 214

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21 Sally: 1 destroyed, 6 damaged

Allied ground losses:
1241 casualties reported
Guns lost 28
Vehicles lost 3

Airbase hits 12
Airbase supply hits 13
Runway hits 74

All Ki-21 Sally bombing at 15000 feet

Philippine group army

Day Air attack on 1st PA Division, at 43,52

Japanese aircraft
C5M Babs x 1
Ki-48 Lily x 43
Ki-49 Helen x 11

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48 Lily: 2 destroyed, 4 damaged
Ki-49 Helen: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged

Allied ground losses:
64 casualties reported

All bombers bombing at 15000 feet

Day Air attack on 41st PA Division, at 43,52

Japanese aircraft
C5M Babs x 1
Ki-48 Lily x 15
Ki-49 Helen x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48 Lily: 2 damaged

at 15000 feet

Ground combat at Manila

Attacking force 151266 troops, 1526 guns, 45 vehicles

Defending force 68583 troops, 633 guns, 178 vehicles

Allied ground losses:
280 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

CHINA

My divisions came to Kwelin but i don't have enough troops for success, i think. Bulk of Chinese army is still across the river (chanel) on road to Chungking. I'm building a forts at Changsha and Hengchow, just in case...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by pauk -- 11/22/2005 6:38:12 PM >

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 118
RE: January, 22nd 1942 - 11/22/2005 7:50:54 PM   
Honda

Things are looking up for you. God job so far. The AAR is geting interesting. Now, all I have have to do is wait for the famous Pauk curse...

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 119
Manila holds - 11/23/2005 5:57:48 PM   
pauk

Must admit that i have luck - no Pauk curse yet in the game. However, a sign that this will happend for sure exist: I've order deliberate attack on Manila with air support but somehow bombers did not attack enemy in the Manila.

Yes, this phase is interesting - i've start to organize first conwoys of raw materials (from Balikpapan). It isn't so easy to manage with logistics but i can not affort to myself to run out of oil....

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/23/42

A new bombardment run on Batavia resulted with another 30 ac destroyed on the ground - I'm pleasently suprised. Still no presence of enemy air force on Java and I've ordered limited invasion on Kragen (see picture). I know this is not a move of genius, but maybe i will provoke Scottsman for hasty reaction. I just can't believe that he give up of Java without fight... what he doing?

Naval bombardment of Batavia

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
Hawk 75A: 3 destroyed
Martin 139: 2 destroyed
CW-21B Demon: 5 destroyed
Wirraway: 2 destroyed
PB2Y Coronado: 2 destroyed
SBD Dauntless: 2 destroyed

Japanese Ships
BB Kirishima
BB Hiei
CL Kuma

Allied ground losses:
728 casualties reported
Guns lost 3

I still keep tracking enemy CV(s) - TF still sails to west of Broome... hm... this is a cruise speed, can Allies experience fuel problems in this area? However, i'm very, very glad i bring glen equipped subs in this theatre

Toboali captured with insignificant damage to the resources. South SD disembarked at Macassar, AP Chinko Maru hits the mine.

PHILIPPINES

Tjah, what to do here, PI Army group is not enough... should I bring additional forces here (one Burma div and one from SAA?).

Ground combat at Manila

Attacking force 167620 troops, 1545 guns, 463 vehicles

Defending force 68771 troops, 639 guns, 183 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese ground losses:
5804 casualties reported
Guns lost 178
Vehicles lost 42

Allied ground losses:
1458 casualties reported
Guns lost 42
Vehicles lost 2

PACIFIC

NLF captured Lunga. I'm bringing supply and fuel in area (Truk).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Honda)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> Victory at Johore Baru! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI