Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Branching a Campaign on Link scenario1

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Branching a Campaign on Link scenario1 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Branching a Campaign on Link scenario1 - 10/22/2005 4:10:45 PM   
PYROS

Hi,

Here is a way to give a special flavor to your campaigns by using a special technique of branching the campaign by the use of campaign scenario No1.

In this scenario you will chose your core force and you will set the duration to 1 turn.

Then you will position all VP flags into two groups and you will instruct the player to chose one of the two in order to direct the scenario in a branch direction.

By calculating the points of the grouped VP you will be able to achieve in this kind of campaign a set of two levels of victory (in the project campaign we use a combination of Marginal victory - Decisive victory).

Then after the end of the 1-turn campaign scenario you will direct (in the campaign editor) one path for the "loss to marginal" level of victory and another path for the "Decisive" level of victory.

With this technique you may achieve different kinds of tactical aspects for your campaign.

Here is a picture of the "1-turn" selection branch that we use in the Vietnam project:

Post #: 1
RE: Branching a Campaign on Link scenario1 - 10/22/2005 4:37:06 PM   
Puukkoo

Good thinking Pyros. No one has tried that so far, but as the possible scenarios in a campaign is 1000, there are possible uses for these 'bonus' missions. (Like in the good old Boulder Dash game)

Don't be shocked, I AM funny.

(in reply to PYROS)
Post #: 2
RE: Branching a Campaign on Link scenario1 - 10/26/2005 4:30:35 PM   
RockinHarry

User selectable branching within a campaign already has been pioneered for MatrixGames Mega Campaigns in the past, but the idea should also be used more for user made campaigns!:) Basically you can choose from upto 5 branching directions, dependent upon available victory levels in the 1st campaign scenario which could be Decisive defeat, Marginal Defeat, Draw, Marginal Victory and Decisive Victory. One thing to consider if a branching is selected that is based upon Decisive or Marginal Defeat, is the overall force morale loss for the second "normal" campaign battle. So effectively usable for that branching technique would just be Draw, Marginal and Decisive deafeat, unless you include the worse victory levels for special purposes, in example providing the player with a bad start for that extra difficulty level.

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 3
RE: Branching a Campaign on Link scenario1 - 11/9/2005 2:36:13 PM   
Puukkoo

Thank you PYROS and RockinHarry and hello again!

I was just thinking that I will use this method in my new campaign project. Without Your ideas this might never had happened.

For this special mission I shall use 'map' that resembles the strategic position of my troops, that means using a larger scale map. This feature doesn't add anything new to the game itself but will perhaps add some colour and gives a hint to the player what's really happening on the larger scale.

Using a 'loss' to enter next mission can be used to represent a quick advance with exhausted troops. Using 'victory' means that you give your men a rest but perhaps risk a good opporturnity.

Don't be shocked, I AM funny.

(in reply to RockinHarry)
Post #: 4
RE: Branching a Campaign on Link scenario1 - 11/10/2005 5:05:08 AM   
Major Destruction

Absolutely!

The branching scenario should use the campaign points system to benefit the campaign and also benefit the player. If a player needs time to regroup then accepting the branching scenario defeat could permit him to gain a larger number of rebuild points. Accepting the branching scenario victory woulsd give the player fewer rebuild points but access to a more advatageous strategical situation.

(in reply to Puukkoo)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Branching a Campaign on Link scenario1 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI