Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> AI Opponent Discussion >> RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 5/1/2013 3:23:29 AM   
brian brian

I set up fast moving units on the Danish border to take all the coastal hexes on the North Sea as the Germans. Perhaps via breaking down a unit to get a motorised division or two. Perhaps even some panzers.

Sending the tank-destroyer by itself to Frederikshavn without taking the adjacent coastal hexes will just whet the appetite of a smart, aggressive CW player.

If France is not seriously threatened in the fall of 1939, and the Germans are slack about taking the Danish coast, I send in the BEF. The Defensive Shore Bombardment optional is a great help for that idea. I hope the CW AI will do the same.

The Danes can also set up some of their Convoy points in Iceland or Greenland.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 391
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 5/1/2013 7:00:13 PM   
Centuur

But what is seriously threatened? It is only the third impulse of the game. That's too early to see how that turn will develop. Are the Poles lucky, or have they been destroyed already? Where are the German reserves and did Germany take out the Netherlands too in the third impulse of the game, thus theathening Belgium?

Those choices are very difficult to make. Personally, I tend to put the BEF into France to strengthen its defenses if the Netherlands have been taken by Germany (even if the Rotterdam hex is still Dutch controlled at that moment...).

Peter

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 392
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 5/1/2013 7:19:16 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

But what is seriously threatened? It is only the third impulse of the game. That's too early to see how that turn will develop. Are the Poles lucky, or have they been destroyed already? Where are the German reserves and did Germany take out the Netherlands too in the third impulse of the game, thus theathening Belgium?

Those choices are very difficult to make. Personally, I tend to put the BEF into France to strengthen its defenses if the Netherlands have been taken by Germany (even if the Rotterdam hex is still Dutch controlled at that moment...).

I agree.

The BEF by itself as an attacking force in Denmark is impotent. Put two weak German corps in their way and the BEF just sits there drinking tea and talking about their great exploits in the last war.

Holding France for as long as possible is crucial. What about Gibraltar, Malta, and Suez? Is anyone at home in England? The Commonwealth doesn't have dozens of land units to spread around the world. But the German do - they go where they want to go, do what they want to do.

Occupying the Danish coast accomplishes nothing. The Germans would use two corps to protect Kiel and Hamburg if the Brits weren't in Denmark.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 393
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 5/2/2013 3:52:38 AM   
brian brian

no, the BEF can't attack anything. they merely hold Frederikshavn while the Royal Navy converts the Baltic into a British lake for a while. bye, bye Swedish Iron Ore. not to mention some good beginnings of attrition on the Kriegsmarine, and German action limits are used up dealing with this.

some German players will use the tank destroyer piece, with 6 movement, to take Frederikshavn but not the adjacent coastal hex. an expensive piece for Gort to land next to and take out pretty easily.

like I said, I do this as the Brits IF the Germans don't attack on the western front in 1939. not all German players do that. the Germans can bottle this up easily....but they can't retake Frederikshavn all that easily, especially with Defensive Shore Bombardment in play. if the Brits draw the Anti-Tank gun in the UK, they can stay for quite a while if they want.

if you've never seen it done, just leave the tip of Denmark open to the British every time until you play a smart Churchill. and the BEF isn't forced to stay there until the Panzers arrive (wrecking their marching orders to the Low Countries) to blitz them back off the Continent. the Royal Navy commands the seas, not the Axis.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 394
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 5/2/2013 4:04:13 AM   
brian brian

oh and one last CW comment. the CW doesn't start with a lot of troops....but they sure have a lot of cheap infantry they can build. keep building it and throwing it in front of the Axis, wherever they go. only the Axis can pick where to go, but the CW holding Frederikshavn is the first place they can force the Germans to deal with their decisions. and yes, the old BBs might take some hits in the process. but if the CW has more than 5 BBs left in 1945, they played it wrong.

but this is the German AI thread. send fast divisions to northern Denmark and keep Lord Gort out for 100% sure. it doesn't use up much of your forces to do this and you can continue on with any strategy you want on the first two turns. Royal Navy battlewagons in the Baltic tend to disrupt what you might want to be doing.

there is a lot to be said for getting into France via the brute force method - leaving the Netherlands neutral until Japan enters the war. This keeps the CW Convoys stretched tight all the way through the first year of Barbarossa. you will need to exploit everything on the 2d10 table to do it, risking the combat engineers repeatedly and using HQ support a lot too. if you roll low, you might have to use an Offensive Chit to stay on schedule for your post-France strategy, whatever it may be. but a DOW on the Netherlands is a large BP swing to the Allies via all the Convoy Points they get.

Post #: 395
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 5/2/2013 4:13:17 AM   
brian brian

keep forgetting a tiny point - you'll want some extra motorised divisions in the summer of 1940 to take losses in blitz combat. so generating a couple at set-up to send to north Denmark will get you a few units you will need later anyway.

Post #: 396
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/6/2013 3:40:40 PM   
Extraneous

Lets discuss German Grand Strategy as peskpesk Post# 331 brought up on the Italian thread.

Specifically: German Grand Strategy vs. France while invading Poland.

There are four important areas to defend near or on the border with France.

And has 3 MIL to be placed in their respective cities along with 7 land units to place in any German controlled cities when calling up the reserves.

1) The Hamburg/Kiel area ~ this area contains (approximately 6% of Germanys production) 1 red factory and 1 blue factory.
Germany gets the Kiel MIL (5-2) when calling up the reserves.
Germany needs 1 land unit in Hamburg.

The Axis needs to DOW Denmark to close the Baltic Sea to Allied warships and assure the trade agreement resources from Norway reach Germany.

quote:

20. The Axis declares war on: (if Japan declares war place USA entry chit in the USA (Ja) entry pool else place it in the USA (Ge/It) entry pool)
Poland, Spain, Turkey or any American country (1 USA entry chit and a 20% chance of another will be added to the USA entry pool)
Belgium, Finland, Rumania, Sweden or Switzerland (There is a 80% chance of a USA entry chit will be added to the USA entry pool)
Other minor (There is a 30% chance of a USA entry chit will be added to the USA entry pool)

The Allies do not need to DOW Denmark. Why let the Axis align more minor countries? Why take the chance of removing USA entry chits?

Let the Axis DOW Denmark and take the chance of adding to the USA entry chits. Align Denmark with the CW and add their ships to the CW convoy lines. I suggest the Danish government in exile should be established in Ottawa, Canada or London, England.

quote:

13.7.1 Conquest
Incomplete conquest
Conquered minor countries can pick either any home country of their controlling major power or any home country that the minor country itself controls.

32. One of the Allies other than the USSR declares war on:
Poland, Spain, Turkey, or any American country (1 USA entry chit and a 70% chance of another will be removed from the USA (Ge/It) entry pool)
Belgium, Finland, Rumania, Sweden or Switzerland (1 USA entry chit and a 20% chance of another being removed from the USA (Ge/It) entry pool)
Other minor or Vichy France (There is a 50% chance of a USA entry chit being removed from the USA (Ge/It) entry pool)

Notes on Denmark set up:

Denmark can place 2 naval units outside of Denmark in:
Rejkavik, Iceland (minor port ~ capacity 4 naval units).
Godthab, Greenland (minor port ~ capacity 4 naval units).
Sydproven, Greenland (minor port ~ capacity 4 naval units).

Denmark has 5 naval units (at least 3 naval units (no fractions) must be set up in Denmark)
Heavy cruiser Peder Skram (1,7,1,0,3-1)
Heavy cruiser Niels Iuel (1,7,0,0,3-2)
6CP (up to 2 may be Tankers CoiF) (counts as 3 naval units)

quote:

SiF option 9: Up to 4 naval units can stack together in a minor port. Every 2 convoy points (or any spare point) is a naval unit.

19.4 Minor country units
Setting up
When a minor country aligns with you, set up its initial units immediately. You must set up in hexes controlled by that minor. At least half a minor country’s initial units must set up in its home country.

CoiF option 76: The CoiF column in the above table is the number of tankers these minor countries start with. Reduce that number of SiF convoy points set up. (e.g. Finland sets up with 1 tanker and 2 convoy points).

2) The Bremen, Essen, and Hanover area ~ this area contains (approximately 9% of Germanys production) 1 red factory, 2 blue factories, 3 resources, and 1 oil.
Germany needs 1 land unit in Bremen or Hanover.
Bremen if you want to keep the CW from invading Germany. Hanover if you want to tempt the CW into invading Germany.

3) The Rhineland area ~ this area contains (approximately 12% of Germanys production) 2 red factories, 2 blue factories, and 2 resources. Depending on the land units you assign to Saarbruken you may or may not need a fortification placed in this area.

If you plan on invading the Netherlands the hex to the west of Dusseldorf is the best location to do it from. All you have to do is move 1 hex to the northwest of this hex and you can attack Amsterdam the capitol of the Netherlands.

If Germany plans to invade the Netherlands in 1939 you will need a Headquarters unit to reorganize I would suggest HQ von Leeb (5 (2) 3) and reorganize the VII MOT (8-4) and I INF (9-4) this gives you a base attack factor of 17 (4 to 1), which can be increased with aircraft units.

quote:

Option 38: Surprised naval units can’t provide defensive shore bombardment nor can naval units provide defensive shore bombardment to a hex containing only surprised units.

Notes on Netherlands set up:
Netherlands: 1 blue factory (Amsterdam) and 1 resource
Palembang, NEI 2 oil
Balikpapan, NEI 1 oil
Tarakan, NEI 1 oil
Paramaribo, Dutch Guyana 1 resource

Netherlands Land units
I INF (4-3) should be set up in Amsterdam, the Netherlands
NEI TERR (3-2) is set up in the Netherlands East Indies

The Netherlands has 11 naval units (at least 6 naval units (no fractions) must be set up in the Netherlands)
Heavy Cruiser Java (1,7,1,1,5,2)
Heavy Cruiser Sumatra (2,7,0,1,5,2)
Heavy Cruiser De Ruyter (1,8,1,0,6,5)
Light Cruiser Tromp (1,9,0,1,6,3)
Light Cruiser Heemskerck (1,9,0,1,6,3)
Submarine (3,8,0,0,5,2)
10CP (up to 4 may be Tankers CoiF) (counts as 5 naval units)

The 8 naval units to be placed in the Netherlands should be placed in Rotterdam. Because the land unit in Amsterdam exerts a ZOC and the German player cannot move from ZOC to ZOC. I Germany DoW's Belgium at the same time it DoW's the Netherlands then units in Liege would exert a ZOC to the northwest.

This makes it possible to get all the naval units set up in the Netherlands to Great Britain without being overrun until the Germans get Paratroops in Jul/Aug 1940.

quote:

11.11.1 How to move land units
A unit must always end its move when it enters an enemy ZOC (exception: it can continue moving if it then overruns a land unit in the next hex ~ see 11.11.6 Overruns). You can move a unit which starts its move in an enemy ZOC directly into another enemy ZOC (even a ZOC of the same unit).

Notes on Belgian set up:
Belgium: 1 red factory (Brussels), 1 blue factory (Liege), and 1 resource
Belgium Congo 1 resource

Belgian Land units
I INF (5-3) should be set up in Liege, Belgium
II INF (4-3) should be set up in Liege, Belgium
CAV (3-5) should be set up in Brussels, Belgium

Belgium has 2 naval units (at least 1 naval unit (no fractions) must be set up in Belgium)
Heavy Cruiser Artevelde (1,8,0,0,5,3) should be set up in Antwerp, Belgium
2CP (counts as 1 naval unit) should be set up in Boma, Belgium Congo

If you want the resources from the Belgium Congo
The Resource rails to Boma, Belgium Congo (minor port) > Gulf of Guinea > Cape Verde Basin > to Spain to rail through Spain and France to Belgium or to CW CP to Great Britain

I suggest the Netherlands and Belgian governments in exile should be established in Ottawa, Canada or London, England.

4) The Karlsruhe/Stuttgart area ~ this area has the broadest border with France. And has 2 locations that the French can get 2 stacks of units to attack a single hex. The two hexes southwest of Stuttgart have no cities so they will need land units places at start up. It is suggested at least 1 fortification (if not more) be placed in this area.

Reserve land units are needed in both Karlsruhe and Stuttgart.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Extraneous -- 8/6/2013 3:41:21 PM >

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

Post #: 397
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/7/2013 9:37:10 PM   
peskpesk

The defense of the German western front during 39/40 is very straight forward; the only minor factor is depending on which strategy Germany has chosen: France First or Historical Poland First.

Hamburg/Kiel Area
*An Allied invasion close to Kiel or an attack down from Denmark (uncommon) is one possibly if the tempting targets of German naval units are present. One German unit at Danish border/Kiel/Hamburg is enough defense. This unit is often a fast 4 mp unit in order to help Germany take Denmark quickly. Some also leave this area undefended.

Rhineland/Hanover Area
*An Allied attack through the lowlands is very; very unlikely unless Germany does a 1940 Barbarossa in which case a few units is need in the Rhineland to be able to reinforce the defense of Belgium/Netherlands. Of course if Germany does a France First is the area packed with units.

French Border Area
* Only the French border needs to be defended. The two of most common options are:
- Every hex with one unit.
- A one hex hole at the most southern hex.

During a France First or during a trick to lure the Allies into align Yugoslavia when Axis is ready for; is to leave the two forest hexes against the Maginot line empty, this is a somewhat more risky option.

Note that some of units needed to defend the western front can come from when Germany goes to war with France/Commonwealth. Ex in order to defend against France along the Maginot line: place 2 GAR units in the two forest hexes during setup and later place one disrupted reinforcement unit per hex at the three city hexes.

A bold German strategy western front could be also to try and snitch the Netherlands during a late Sep/Oct impulse (or possibly even during a fine Nov/Dec) if CW has commit its transports. To goal of the strategy to get the Rotterdam hex and hope of fine weather in Nov/Dec to get a crack at Belgium “Who cares that the US-Entry will sky rocket!” a tell sign is often a few more German units near the Netherland border.

To sum it up: normally Germany needs about a minimum of 4-6 units at the western front.

< Message edited by peskpesk -- 8/8/2013 2:38:40 PM >

"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 398
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/8/2013 12:40:53 PM   
Agathosdaimon

i dont know anything about this game but i love the look and complexity of it - i am more interested in this one that the Gary Grigsby games. I have Empires in Arms and love its computer version , though this looks more complex. Great see so much work being done on the AI

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 399
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/8/2013 3:28:10 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

i dont know anything about this game but i love the look and complexity of it - i am more interested in this one that the Gary Grigsby games. I have Empires in Arms and love its computer version , though this looks more complex. Great see so much work being done on the AI

Welcome aboard Agathosdaimon

Whilst World in Flames does contain a lot of complexity, much of it is involved with the rule-checking and bookkeeping that will be handled by the computer, so the player doesn't have to worry about it. Basically, they should play in a historically sensible manner and the computer will disallow illegal moves. Having said that, the global scale and number of different unit types allow for a great variety of potential manoeuvres.

Most of the gameplay consists of moving land, naval and air units around during the multiple "impulses" of the Axis and Allies that occur within each two month turn. Lots of the political and economic stuff only occurs once per turn.

When playing a power or powers, one really is the supreme warlord; deciding how resources are moved, what is produced, political decisions and military matters. One has to decide grand strategy, often in consultation with others on one's side. One has to weigh the political ramifications of decisions like declarations of war, invasions or claiming territory. One has to plan ahead, especially with regard to production. Some units, such as aircraft carriers, take a very long time to construct. Often there aren't enough units or potential moves to do all that is required and hard decisions have to be made.

It should be noted that although a lot of work has been done on the AI opponent, the initial release won't have one. It appears there will be a large pool of potential online opponents of all abilities though.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 400
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/8/2013 4:43:26 PM   
Dangun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster
It should be noted that although a lot of work has been done on the AI opponent, the initial release won't have one. It appears there will be a large pool of potential online opponents of all abilities though.

If the initial version will not have AI will it be set-up for just 2 player, or will it work smoothly with more than 2 players? That used to work well at the board, but maybe clunkier online.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 401
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/8/2013 6:12:11 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dangun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

If the initial version will not have AI will it be set-up for just 2 player, or will it work smoothly with more than 2 players? That used to work well at the board, but maybe clunkier online.

For the initial release there will be 3 modes of play:
- Solitaire: you (Axis) versus yourself (Allied).
- Head-to-head: a.k.a. Hot Seat, you versus a friend (who thinks he is better than you at war games) playing on a single computer.
- NetPlay: you versus an opponent (possibly a friend, probably someone you met on-line in the World in Flames forum), each of you using your own computer and playing in real time over the internet.

---

As a post-release 'patch' I will be adding the capability for NetPlay games to include up to 6 players. [I will need to buy 2 more computers to debug that code.]

Steve

(in reply to Dangun)
Post #: 402
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/9/2013 3:15:45 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

ORIGINAL: peskpesk

The defense of the German western front during 39/40 is very straightforward; the only minor factor is depending on which strategy Germany has chosen: France First or Historical Poland First.

Hamburg/Kiel Area
*An Allied invasion close to Kiel or an attack down from Denmark (uncommon) is one possibly if the tempting targets of German naval units are present. One German unit at Danish border/Kiel/Hamburg is enough defense. This unit is often a fast 4 mp unit in order to help Germany take Denmark quickly. Some also leave this area undefended.

Rhineland/Hanover Area
*An Allied attack through the lowlands is very; very unlikely unless Germany does a 1940 Barbarossa in which case a few units is need in the Rhineland to be able to reinforce the defense of Belgium/Netherlands. Of course if Germany does a France First is the area packed with units.

French Border Area
* Only the French border needs to be defended. The two of most common options are:
- Every hex with one unit.
- A one hex hole at the most southern hex.

During a France First or during a trick to lure the Allies into align Yugoslavia when Axis is ready for; is to leave the two forest hexes against the Maginot line empty, this is a somewhat more risky option.

Note that some of units needed to defend the western front can come from when Germany goes to war with France/Commonwealth. Ex in order to defend against France along the Maginot line: place 2 GAR units in the two forest hexes during setup and later place one disrupted reinforcement unit per hex at the three city hexes.

A bold German strategy western front could be also to try and snitch the Netherlands during a late Sep/Oct impulse (or possibly even during a fine Nov/Dec) if CW has commit its transports. To goal of the strategy to get the Rotterdam hex and hope of fine weather in Nov/Dec to get a crack at Belgium “Who cares that the US-Entry will sky rocket!” a tell sign is often a few more German units near the Netherlands border.

To sum it up: normally Germany needs about a minimum of 4-6 units at the western front.

Hamburg/Kiel Area
I wouldn't even think of invading Denmark with Germany without a unit that moves 6 on the border. Whether you use the ART PzJag I (2-6) division (which I prefer) or the XLVI MECH (8-6) (from the reserves reorganized by HQI von Bock (7 (3) 3)). Along with a MTN or INF with a 4 movement to take Copenhagen. This allows me to overrun the Danish naval units in Denmark. I prefer not to give the Allies any more naval units than I have to.

Give me the ART PzJag I (2-6) division and a MTN and they will be set up on the Danish border.

Rhineland/Hanover Area
I agree an Allied invasion of Germany from the lowland is very, very unlikely. But the French can attack Saarbrucken from Metz and Strasborug.

Saarbrucken is a clear city hex on a surprise impulse.

Minimum French INF combat factors 10
Average French INF combat factors 15
Maximum French INF combat factors 21

HQ-I Billotte (5-(2)-3)

And a French INF 1-3 division and a French GUN

Without air units this means a total of 18 to 30 French combat factors.

If Germany chooses "France first" yes eventually this area will be packed with German units but not on the first turn.

The Karlsruhe/Stuttgart area (AKA the Siegfried Line)
This is the area I prefer to place all 3 fortifications in the two woods hexes southwest of Stuttgart. Where the French can attack from two Maginot line hexes.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

Post #: 403
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/9/2013 7:27:48 PM   
brian brian

The Germans should place their forts with an eye to 1945, not 1939. I like them at the south end of the Oder river, and a key pass in the Czechoslovakian mountains. The real Hitler would never have done that of course, possibly leading to players unhappy with a gimmicky AI, though I have never agreed with that idea.

The MTN unit is most economically used in Austria and perhaps on towards southern Poland along with the Ju-52 nearby, with an eye towards being an air-mobile emergency unit for dealing with unlikely, but possible, Stalinist adventures in the Balkans. Should those fail to materialize, it can march into the Poland garrison, ready for pact calculations in 1940 without taking up a strategic move.

The CW can't really invade Germany from the sea unless they break down some units at set-up. Highly unlikely. If they did, I would purposely leave north-east Germany empty but a few speedy units in the Rhineland woods.

By all means, move that tank-destroyer unit to Frederikshavn all by it's lonesome. Winnie can't wait to send over Lord Gort to meet them.

"France First" means attacking France on the first turn. High risk, high reward strategy.

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 404
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/9/2013 8:24:32 PM   
peskpesk

Here is an example of a France First setup, note the few German units facing Poland

http://www.eurowif.de/con11/con2011_reporttable1.htm

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by peskpesk -- 8/9/2013 8:25:46 PM >

"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"

Post #: 405
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/10/2013 2:03:17 AM   
brian brian

hey man, nice shot

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 406
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/10/2013 6:18:30 AM   
Extraneous

peskpesk since you are from Sweden english is not your first language and I can understand his difficulties presenting your ideas. Keep up the good work and thanks for the screen shot.

But I thought you all meant "France first after Poland" not "Poland and France at the same time".

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

The CW can't really invade Germany from the sea unless they break down some units at set-up. Highly unlikely. If they did, I would purposely leave north-east Germany empty but a few speedy units in the Rhineland woods.

By all means, move that tank-destroyer unit to Frederikshavn all by it's lonesome. Winnie can't wait to send over Lord Gort to meet them.

I have and would send the TD to Frederikshavn if it means sinking or capturing Danish naval units in an overrun and keeping them from the CW.

brian brian if as you say " The CW can't really invade Germany from the sea unless they break down some units at set-up. Highly unlikely.".

In 1939 with No AMPH or MAR how does Gort invade Frederikshavn, Denmark against the TD, the notional unit, on a non-surprise impulse, with an intact German air force?

I have already posted I don't use the German air force in Poland it isn't necessary.

Post #: 407
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/10/2013 6:32:29 AM   
paulderynck

Germany may not have taken every hex on the North Sea coast. Most likely, Denmark is aligned with the CW, so any hex still controlled by Denmark (i.e. the CW) can be a disembarkation location for Gort and a corps on the subsequent Allied impulse.

Ideally, Germany needs to take every North Sea Coastal hex. Of course a couple divisions can accomplish this in fine weather.

Paul

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 408
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/10/2013 7:12:04 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Germany may not have taken every hex on the North Sea coast. Most likely, Denmark is aligned with the CW, so any hex still controlled by Denmark (i.e. the CW) can be a disembarkation location for Gort and a corps on the subsequent Allied impulse.

Ideally, Germany needs to take every North Sea Coastal hex. Of course a couple divisions can accomplish this in fine weather.

World in Flames: Global war (see The Global war: Sep/Oct 1939 ~ Jul/Aug 1945)
Order of set up
1.) USA
2.) USSR
3.) Italy
4.) China
5.) CW
6.) France
7.) Japan
8.) Germany

1939 the CW has Gort and 2 INF units in Europe.

In Your scenario the CW makes no attempt to send Land units to Gibraltar, Malta, or Egypt.

It retains all its Land units in Great Britain because the CW Grand Strategy hinges upon a TD division in Denmark?

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 409
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/11/2013 12:13:15 AM   
paulderynck

Doesn't matter what is in Denmark, you asked how it could be done. Now you know.

The CW may choose a strategy of "wait and see what opportunities present themselves".

Paul

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 410
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/11/2013 2:37:08 AM   
Extraneous

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Doesn't matter what is in Denmark, you asked how it could be done. Now you know.

The CW may choose a strategy of "wait and see what opportunities present themselves".

I take it the CW would be taking a Combined action in the face of the Luftwaffe. Are you going to send the entire CW Navy also?

Activity limits:
All major powers (including the units of their aligned minor countries) during their impulse
Unlimited Declarations of war
Unlimited Naval air interception missions
Unlimited Shore bombardment
Unlimited Ground support missions
Unlimited Headquarters reorganization
Unlimited TRS re-supply

These missions occur during every air mission except re-base, naval air and naval air interception
-- Unlimited Combat air patrol missions
-- Unlimited Escorting aircraft missions
-- Unlimited Intercepting aircraft missions

All major powers (including the units of their aligned minor countries) during an enemy impulse
Unlimited Combat air patrol missions
Unlimited Escorting aircraft missions
Unlimited Intercepting aircraft missions
Unlimited Naval movement only when a unit’s base is overrun (see 11.11.6 Overruns).
Unlimited Naval interception missions
Unlimited Naval combat only in sea areas your opponent moved a unit into, and only if they did not try to initiate combat there.
Unlimited Naval air interception missions
Unlimited Shore bombardment if you are playing with defensive shore bombardment - see 11.16.2 Shore bombardment.
Unlimited Ground support missions
Unlimited Re-base aircraft missions only when a unit’s base is overrun (see 11.11.6 Overruns).

Commonwealth activity limits:
Naval action
No Rail movement
Unlimited Naval movements (a naval movement is the movement of 1 task force - see 11.4 Naval movement)
-- Naval moves
-- Naval Embarkation
-- Naval transport
-- Naval combats
No Land movements
-- Land moves
-- Paradrop
-- Unlimited Debarkation (units transported directly into port debark with no land movement cost)
No Land attacks
-- Land attack
-- Invasions
-- Paradrop
3x Air missions (an air mission is the flight of 1 aircraft unit)
-- Port attacks
-- Naval air missions
-- Strategic bombardment missions
-- Ground strike missions
-- Paradrop this is only possible if your ATRs are carrying units of a co-operating major power that chose a land or combined action.
-- Air transport missions
-- Re-base aircraft missions
-- Air re-supply missions

Air action
2x Rail movement (You can only rail aircraft units) it costs 1-4 rail moves to move 1 unit depending on the distance moved, see 11.10 Rail movement.
No Naval movements (a naval movement is the movement of 1 task force - see 11.4 Naval movement)
-- Naval moves
-- Unlimited Embarkation only if a co-operating major power (that chose a naval or combined action) embarks your unit.
-- Naval transport
-- Unlimited Naval combats
No Land movements
-- Land moves
-- Invasions
-- Paradrop
-- Debarkation
No Land attacks
-- Land attack
-- Invasions
-- Paradrop
Unlimited Air missions (an air mission is the flight of 1 aircraft unit)
-- Port attacks
-- Naval air missions
-- Paradrop this is only possible if your ATRs are carrying units of a co-operating major power that chose a land or combined action.

Land action
2x Rail movement (You can only rail land units or factories) it costs 1-4 rail moves to move 1 unit depending on the distance moved, see 11.10 Rail movement.
No Naval movements (a naval movement is the movement of 1 task force - see 11.4 Naval movement)
-- Naval moves
-- Unlimited Embarkation only if a co-operating major power (that chose a naval or combined action) embarks your unit.
-- Naval transport
-- Naval combat (this does not deny your naval units that stayed at sea from a previous impulse the ability to make enemy naval units fight their through)
Unlimited Land movement
-- Land moves (a land move is the movement of 1 land unit - see 11.11 Land movement)
-- Invasions (each Invasion counts as 1x Land movement)
-- Paradrop (each Paradrop counts as 1x Land movement)
-- Debarkation
Unlimited Land attacks (a land attack is an attack against 1 enemy stack by any number of units - see 11.16 Land combat).
-- Land attack
-- Invasions (each Invasion counts as 1x Land Attack)
-- Paradrop (each Paradrop counts as 1x Land Attack)
2x Air missions (an air mission is the flight of 1 aircraft unit)
-- Port attacks
-- Naval air missions
-- Paradrop (each unit that Paradrops counts as 1x Air mission)

Combined action
1x Rail movement (You can rail land units, factories, or aircraft units) it costs 1-4 rail moves to move 1 unit depending on the distance moved, see 11.10 Rail movement.
2x Naval movements (a naval movement is the movement of 1 task force - see 11.4 Naval movement)
-- Naval moves
-- Unlimited Embarkation
-- Unlimited Naval transport
-- Unlimited Naval combat
3x Land movement
-- Land moves (a land move is the movement of 1 land unit - see 11.11 Land movement)
-- Invasions (each Invasion counts as 1x Land movement)
-- Paradrop (each unit that Paradrops counts as 1x Land movement)
-- Debarkation
1x Land attack (a land attack is an attack against 1 enemy stack by any number of units - see 11.16 Land combat)
-- Land attack
-- Invasions (each Invasion counts as 1x Land Attack)
-- Paradrop (each Paradrop counts as 1x Land Attack)
5x Air missions (an air mission is the flight of 1 aircraft unit)
-- Port attacks
-- Naval air missions
-- Paradrop (each unit that Paradrops counts as 1x Air mission)

Each unit that Paradrops counts as 1x Air mission and 1x Land movement.
Each Paradrop counts as 1x Land attack.

< Message edited by Extraneous -- 8/11/2013 2:38:19 AM >

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 411
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/11/2013 4:20:10 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

The Commonwealth has other land units available, altough some depend on optional rules. Here's the code from MWIF for the Commonwealth setup.

There are motorized units (MO), territorials (TE) as well as infantry (IN).

Because the Allies get the second impulse, and they are not at war with anyone, they can transport some units from far off areas (e.g., India) into Europe.

The number of possibilities are quite large for where the Commonwealth deploys its land units. If corps sized units can be broken down into divisions, then even the cruisers can be used to transport land units. For example (and I am not necessarily recommending this), the infantry corps in India could be broken down into divisions during setup and then during a second impulse Naval action sent to Malta and Gibraltar on fast moving cruisers. Hopefully the Polish setup is such that none of those units need to move or fight.

---
mcCommonwealth: // Global War.
begin
AddGroupCountry(['United Kingdom'], ['[United Kingdom]', 'HQ Gort',
'ME 1', 'MO 2', 'F2 2/2', 'L2 1/1', 'L3 1/4', 'N2 0/1', 'A3 1',
'PI 5', '[Div]', 'AT 1', 'IN 1', 'CS Terror', 'CS Erebus',
'[Commonwealth]', 'OI 1']);

AddGroupCountry(['Egypt', 'Palestine'], ['[United Kingdom]',
'HQ Wavell', 'TE 2']);

AddGroupSimple(lEurope, ['[United Kingdom]', 'CS Ark Royal',
'CS Courageous', 'CS Furious', 'CS Argus', 'CS Hermes', 'CS Hood',
'CS Nelson', 'CS Resolution', 'CS Revenge', 'CS Royal Oak',
'CS Warspite', 'CS Barham', 'CS Ramillies', 'CS Renown',
'CS Repulse', 'CS Rodney', 'CS Royal Sovereign', 'CS Edinburgh',
'CS Hawkins', 'CS Norfolk', 'CS Southampton', 'CS Belfast',
'CS Effingham', 'CS Exeter', 'CS Glasgow', 'CS Newcastle',
'CS Sheffield', 'CS York', 'CL Arethusa', 'CL Carlisle',
'CL Ceres', 'CL Emerald', 'CL Aurora', 'CL Cairo', 'CL Calcutta',
'CL Caledon', 'CL Calypso', 'CL Capetown', 'CL Caradoc',
'CL Cardiff', 'CL Colombo', 'CL Curlew', 'CL Delhi', 'CL Diomede',
'CL Dragon', 'CL Dunedin', 'CL Enterprise', 'CL Galatea',
'CL Penelope', 'TE 2',
'[Commonwealth]', 'ASW 1']);

AddGroupSimple(lPacificAsia, ['[United Kingdom]', 'CS Glorious',
'CS Eagle', 'CS Kent', 'CS Manchester', 'CS Malaya',
'CS Birmingham', 'CS Cornwall', 'CS Devonshire', 'CS Dorsetshire',
'CS Gloucester', 'CS Liverpool', 'CS Sussex', 'CL Coventry',
'[India]', 'IN 1', 'TE 1',
'[Australia]', 'CS Australia', 'CS Canberra', 'CS Shropshire',
'CL Sydney', 'CL Adelaide', 'CL Hobart',
'[New Zealand]', 'CL Leander',

AddGroupSimple(lAmerica, ['[United Kingdom]', 'CS Berwick',
'CS Cumberland', 'CL Ajax', 'CL Danae', 'CL Durban',
'CL Despatch', 'CL Dauntless', 'CL Neptune', 'CL Orion',
'[Australia]', 'CL Perth',
'[New Zealand]', 'CL Achilles']);
// ****************************************************************************
// 3x8 + 3x5 + 5x3 + 8x2 + 11x1 = 81 convoys.
// ****************************************************************************
AddGroupSimple(lAny, ['[United Kingdom]', 'IN 1', 'NT 4', 'SU 2',
'CN 8', 'CN 8', 'CN 8', 'CN 5', 'CN 5', 'CN 5', 'CN 3', 'CN 3',
'CN 3', 'CN 3', 'CN 3', 'CN 2', 'CN 2', 'CN 2', 'CN 2', 'CN 2',
'CN 2', 'CN 2', 'CN 2', 'CN 1', 'CN 1', 'CN 1', 'CN 1', 'CN 1',
'CN 1', 'CN 1', 'CN 1', 'CN 1', 'CN 1', 'CN 1',
'CP 8/5', 'TE 1', '[Div]', 'AT 1', 'EN 1',

Steve

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 412
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/11/2013 4:32:11 AM   
brian brian

You are selling the CW very short Extraneous. The CW has more than enough assets to do this while defending Egypt with Wavell, Malta with the Royal Engineers & a Gun, Gibraltar with an INF, the UK with a GARR, MECH, a RES INF and a RES MIL (both quite good and can be re-organized). That leaves Gort, 2 MOT, a gun, and an infantry division to respond to whatever Axis decisions they reveal during set up and their first two impulses.

Let's say the tank destroyer goes to Frederikshavn all by it's lonesome. Gort + MOT + 2 CV + 4 BB + 2 TRS + 3 CA (or 3 CV, 2 CA; or use even more BB & CA to a 15 ship target profile) sail out to the North Sea, yes on a combined impulse, daring the Kriegsmarine to do anything about it. 2 land moves deposit Gort + MOT ashore adjacent to the port, where they annihilate the SP AT at 10:1 even with Luftwaffe intervention, and take Frederikshavn with their single land attack. Which quickly becomes a base for British medium bombers to raid the Baltic Sea, and perhaps even a pair of the old R Class BBs by the end of the turn if the CW can pull off a naval impulse to re-organize them. On the second turn some MIL from the UK and possibly an AT Gun of their own reinforce northern Denmark. A shore bombardment squadron takes up a rotating station in the North Sea, assuming defensive shore bombardment in play, while a solid squadron of four fresh BBs, or 3 BB + SUB, sail out into the Baltic. Gort and MOT rotate out and cheap UK MIL units hold the place through the winter.

The Germans have lots of things they CAN do about this. But when they are responding to British moves on the first two turns, the operational initiative is slipping out of their hands. The British are trading their ships in for losses to the German cruiser fleet and probably German Convoy Points as well, rather than the Germans raiding UK CP in the Atlantic. The Luftwaffe is sucked into the Baltic rather than reinforcing an Italian offensive in the Mediterranean. The Luftwaffe isn't too fearsome at sea in the first winter of the war. Panzers are diverted from desired German strategy to march to north Denmark. If the UK puts that AT Gun up there, Hitler has to send an ARM + Arm division to call a blitz combat, and attack across straits hexsides onto cheap CW units possibly backed by 14" shells from off-shore. Much of the German response will be done in bad weather, making it slow, and things can get uglier and uglier for an OKW scrambling to deal with this as they have to call Combined impulses to protect the Baltic while they simultaneously move the army back to the Rhineland and now Denmark too. If German tanks and Stukas are in northern Denmark in May, 1940, French military bands will be playing God Save The Queen. If Germany leaves the British to their nice little Baltic base, they eventually have much less merchant shipping left, the Kriegsmarine has been cut in half, and German production has been nicked and cut here and there, and will continue to be until they do something about Denmark.

This is how you win a wargame. By seizing the operational initiative when and where you can. I hope the CW AI has this operation script at the ready to pounce on bad German play.

All the Germans have to do to prevent this nightmare scenario is split their at-start MOT into 2 divisions, and send them, along with that nifty tank destroyer unit, to take all the coastal hexes of Denmark (and be smart enough to not DOW Denmark in the Rain). It's easy and doesn't in any way detract from any other chosen German strategy as you normally use 2 units in Denmark. If you ever make the mistake as Germany of sending a single weak unit to North Denmark against a good CW player, you will only ever do that once.

And that is not CW Grand Strategy. It is an option they hold in response to poor German play in Denmark. They only have one Grand Strategy decision to make at set-up and on the first turn, and that is whether to launch pre-emptive war on the Italian fleet. Everything else they do is a reaction to the Axis, who naturally hold the initiative. The Royal Navy gives the CW complete freedom to deploy where they want. If Italy is going all-in attacking Algeria, the CW can fight there. Or, they can land in Rotterdam in response to a bungled German operation in the Netherlands. Or if Egypt is invaded by land and sea, CW TRS missions can be used for that area.

The Germans can NOT think defensively on the first turn, AT ALL. They don't need to hold units back to see what the Allies do until mid 1942 at best. Thinking otherwise will lead to Axis defeat. Put a 3 or 4 factor unit in each hex adjacent to France and call it good as you go on to make offensive plans. If it is a conservative Poland-only strategy (a good choice), use the Luftwaffe in Poland to help limit German casualties should the dice go bad. Use an air mission to strike the Danish CP in addition to overrunning them. Or go for more via attacking the Netherlands, or my preference, the No Bessarabia strategy line of DOW on Yugoslavia on the 2nd Axis impulse. When I do that I put even less on the French frontier. If the Allies want to foolishly attack Germany in Sep/Oct 1939, let them. They are digging their own grave that much faster if they do.

Post #: 413
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/11/2013 7:07:32 AM   
Neilster

I'm not up on the current rules but that sounds like sage advice. Very well written too.

people who rite poorly with no puctuation are annoying they should relize that writing proply makes it much easier to read its more enjoyable too why dont they do it :P

Cheers, Neilster

< Message edited by Neilster -- 8/11/2013 5:51:36 PM >

Post #: 414
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/11/2013 7:48:26 AM   
Extraneous

quote:

Let's say the tank destroyer goes to Frederikshavn all by it's lonesome. Gort + MOT + 2 CV + 4 BB + 2 TRS + 3 CA (or 3 CV, 2 CA; or use even more BB & CA to a 15 ship target profile) sail out to the North Sea, yes on a combined impulse, daring the Kriegsmarine to do anything about it. 2 land moves deposit Gort + MOT ashore adjacent to the port, where they annihilate the SP AT at 10:1 even with Luftwaffe intervention, and take Frederikshavn with their single land attack. Which quickly becomes a base for British medium bombers to raid the Baltic Sea, and perhaps even a pair of the old R Class BBs by the end of the turn if the CW can pull off a naval impulse to re-organize them. On the second turn some MIL from the UK and possibly an AT Gun of their own reinforce northern Denmark. A shore bombardment squadron takes up a rotating station in the North Sea, assuming defensive shore bombardment in play, while a solid squadron of four fresh BBs, or 3 BB + SUB, sail out into the Baltic. Gort and MOT rotate out and cheap UK MIL units hold the place through the winter.

Germany draws 3 LND2 and 4 LND3 and chooses 2 LND2 and 3 LND3.

3 of the 5 LND2 (60%) have an ATS (Air to Ship) factor of 1.
4 of the 11 LND3 (36%) have an ATS factor of 1.

That's 7 of the German 17 LND (41%) with an ATS factor of 1.

Germany gets an NAV with an ATS factor of 2.

Germany with 2 LND2 + 1 LND3 + 1 NAV = 5 ATS factors

German bombers = 4

CW with 2 CV + 4 BB + 2 TRS + 3 CA = 11 ships

Germany (with no aborts, losses, or adjustments) vs. 11 CW ships = sink 1 ship (the CW choice).
Germany (with no aborts, losses, or adjustments) vs. 15 CW ships = sink 1 ship (the CW choice) 1 abort (Germanys choice).

It all depends on the surprise roll whether you get to disembark or not. Either way the TD did its job by overrunning the Danish naval units. Any other Allied losses are a bonus.

By the way brian brian you forgot something.

The earliest Denmark can be invaded by Germany is the second Axis (or third) impulse the earliest the CW can debark units in Denmark is the second Allied (or forth) impulse. The turn will end soon.

There is no second turn or winter in Denmark for the CW.

See my post #105 on August 5, 2009 .

< Message edited by Extraneous -- 8/11/2013 7:49:16 AM >

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 415
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/11/2013 5:21:39 PM   
brian brian

You can continue to ignore reports of this game in action all you want. I don't write these posts solely for you, Extraneous, because you will not accept anyone disagreeing with you and just absurdly try to dispute anything that does. I have typed my thoughts on this game possibility into the thread for the writers of the AI scripts in the years to come, and because I don't have the time to actually play World in Flames right now. It is infinitely more fun to play the game than to play it theoretically.

I have seen this happen while I was playing the Russians, and I repeated the exercise playing the CW in a different game. Both German players were pretty shocked at the results, and I doubt they ever let this happen to them again. One might think it is worth baiting the British into doing this, but I disagree. The Brits maintain the operational initiative due to the strength of the Royal Navy, and their best play is to spend a few BPs on cheap units to delay and disrupt Axis plans. They can plan into the future and evacuate the whole operation as the Germans slog into north Denmark, or force the end game of all those German moves to eradicate 4-8 BP of MIL, or maximum 12 w/the AT Gun that they don't often use much anyway. Designing Axis moves solely merely to attrition the British early on isn't very smart...that's playing into Allied hands in a theater (the Baltic) where nothing is gained for the Axis, only resources, casualties, and action limits lost. Far smarter to press the Allies so hard in the Med or the Western Front that the CW doesn't have this option anyway, or can devote far less to the idea. Use your units to do what you want, not what the enemy wants. And as the Brits I still might play a little smash mouth football in the Baltic anyway as I tend to build 3 MIL for the CW the first 2 turns, and carefully sail TRS more than once a turn, and feel the CW is more than capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time. The Royal Navy has 14 BBs to attack the Axis with, who only have 4.

The Luftwaffe can fight in the North Sea, sure. I have had a lucky Luftwaffe sink a sloppily deployed Ark Royal on the first turn. It is wiser for the CW to sail Lord Gort to Brittany on France's Atlantic Coast, re-organize the TRS that did it, and send that TRS safely on towards Australia later on the first turn...unless the Germans hand you this opportunity.

The Luftwaffe doesn't have much range. Their NAV can reach the 3 box, but it won't have FTR escort. The Germans might have a 3 air-to-air FTR-2 that can reach the 2 box (same as the CW CV-borne Gladiators), and a twin engine FTR as well, though it fights CW CV fighters or Hurricanes at a disadvantage. A few German bombers can reach the 2 box as well. Any German plane in the 2 or 3 box represents an air mission not being used in support of the Army, or taking high % shots at minor Allied CPs surprised in port, rather than low % shots at sea. I some times do use 3 air missions to put a nice force in the 2 box, but I will not send the NAV to 3 box by itself. (Might react for no mission cost to the 2 box though). And I would rather have the Luftwaffe in the Mediterranean anyway, unless I'm planning kitchen sink Barbarossa and keeping Italy neutral in 1939.

The CW serious about escorting troop convoys in the North Sea might have CV cover in the box with the transports. Possibly a CV with a long range FTR up in the 4 box, effectively then in the 5 box. The TRS more likely will be covered by a pair of Hurricanes in the 1 box if the Luftwaffe is on the shores of the North Sea. Yes, possibly 2 whole naval moves for the CW, they can do that. An air battle on the first turn in the North Sea is a slightly unequal contest, but I still might try it as the Germans; though I would never rely on the results to keep the Tommies out of Frederikshavn rather than just using a pair of motorised divisions instead. Perhaps not at all with 5 box CV + 2 FTR2 over the TRS. The bombers that clear through won't have many factors and the CW will have a lot of AA factors. The vast majority of the time, the TRS will get through, and perhaps Fleet Air Arm will be attritioned some, but so will the Luftwaffe. The Royal Navy won't be harmed much unless the Germans get very lucky. Also often the Germans won't have a lot of spare air missions to try this until their 3rd impulse, as their air force is designed for use on land, which is where most players use it to smash the Poles and lower German infantry casualties. I engage it in Yugoslavia as well.

Sep/Oct generally runs 4 or 5 impulses per side, with each impulse perhaps a 55% chance of being clear weather in the North Temperate. The Germans are guaranteed a second impulse, as are the Allies. The Allies get a 3rd impulse in 99% of all games.

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 416
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/11/2013 9:56:08 PM   
Extraneous

Where have I disputed ANY of your claims you have made in your scenario?

Yes, I have pointed out some things you choose to ignore (the German air units) and an incorrect assumption you have made about the CW being able to stay in Denmark after incomplete conquest. Did you even check the link?

Back then I argued that you could stay after incomplete conquest and was informed by Steve and others I was reading the rule wrong. I didn't like it but I went along with Steve's ruling.

Here's one for you to think about

The German MTN marches into Copenhagen, Denmark.

Germany then rebases a LAN3 and a FTR (with a range of 3) there. After all they have nothing to do until Germany marches into France in 1940 anyway.

Your "annihilating" 10 to 1 odds are now 7 to 1 odds with shore bombardment (without shore bombardment it's 3 to 1) on the assault table.

At 7 to 1 odds roll less than 4 and you don't take Frederikshavn roll a 1 and you loose the MOT.

At 3 to 1 odds there are 2 chances you loose Gort and the MOT. And 3 chances you loose just the MOT.

Your carrier planes are worthless in supporting Land units in Denmark because in Air-to-air combat they are at one-tenth their air-to-air strength against the German FTR units.

To get any real air cover over your task force it has to come from Great Britain.

To me your scenario is a hopeless CW venture and a waste of CW resources for no real gain.

Post #: 417
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/12/2013 6:30:17 AM   
brian brian

Did you read the link? Back then you were arguing the CW would have to leave and were corrected then, now you again say the CW would have to leave, which is still wrong. You are just arguing to argue, and not very well.

The CW can stay in Denmark after conquest as they are at war with the conquerer.

I know what the Luftwaffe can do in the North Sea. 19 times in 20 (rough guess), they can't prevent British troops from landing. 1939 is one of the most interesting periods in the game with the low counter densities, and is one of the few parts of the game that can be analyzed tactically very well with far less variable game conditions to consider.

The Denmark campaign is the simplest in the game. Don't invade in the Rain, use 3 fast division sized units. The end. No CW adventure.

I usually wouldn't use Fleet Air Arm ashore vs Me-109, no. But I might ship a Hurricane to Denmark, despite the risk of losing the pilot when I eventually lose the hex. I play the CW aggressively perhaps. One more German FTR might go up there to deal with it, and FTRs are hard to deploy in France. It's not easy for the Germans to get back on that island; they might not get a good chance to do so until M/J 40, when they have better things to be doing with the not insignificant resources it takes to do it. The CW will always draw an anti-tank asset if they scrap the 2 factor ART, and is another piece of limited value in France (troop commitment limits) or the Med (holding Algerian mountains or Egyptian cities). 50/50 that piece starts in England; at worst it arrives in Denmark in J/F 40.

Edit: Oh I just re-read your response, I thought you suggested flying the MTN on towards Frederikshavn, my mistake as I projected that onto what you wrote myself, sorry. I just can't well follow arguing with using 3 fast units rather than 2 and ending this CW option using a minimum force and I got confused reading that with the LAN3 and the MTN unit better used elsewhere.

If the AT Gun is in Frederikshavn by itself, it's defense strength is 1. If the Luftwaffe helps it, that goes up to 2, and the CW doesn't intercept, because it is still 22-2 = 11-1.

If the Germans send a 2-5 Motorised division to that port and covers it with Luftwaffe fighter and bomber cover, I still attack it at 24-4 = 6-1 by adding the CW infantry division to the attacking force. Offensive Shore Bombardment is always in play and the CW has the BB fleet to double attacks on a coastal hex. This is a decent possibility now that I finally realized (thanks to thinking out loud in these threads, thanks everyone, and I think I will definitely play the CW next time I can play this game) I could make this whole campaign happen by ground striking the German units on the Danish border (as always, assuming no France First). Normally I port strike the Kriegsmarine hoping to hit the Gneisenau or Scharnhorst, but this might give me more bang for the cheap bucks.

Maybe a conservative, Poland-only German AI needs to set up 4 units (5? 6 would be too many, the RAF can't bomb that well) near the Danish border. That will require 6 movers in the second hex. Panzers. Much harder for the CW to disrupt 2 hexes. Yes, I have done that as the Germans.

The bottom line is the same - sometimes, a German player gets a little sloppy, not realizing the CW capabilities on their impulse. The whole point of the idea is to make the Germans respond to it, and that is not a waste of several quickly replaced 2 BP infantry class units.

< Message edited by brian brian -- 8/12/2013 8:08:12 AM >

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 418
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/12/2013 6:38:18 AM   
brian brian

And I would suggest brushing up on the rules for air combat, esp. with regards to CV fighters vs land-based ones, and how back-up fighters work as compared to front line fighters. But I do not want to fight about how parenthetical clauses work. If a CV plane is your front fighter, your air-to-air strength is that CV plane's air-to-air rating. If it is a back-up fighter in the line, you only add it's air-to-air values as tenths. That is how it works.

Post #: 419
RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest - 8/12/2013 3:28:22 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

And I would suggest brushing up on the rules for air combat, esp. with regards to CV fighters vs land-based ones, and how back-up fighters work as compared to front line fighters. But I do not want to fight about how parenthetical clauses work. If a CV plane is your front fighter, your air-to-air strength is that CV plane's air-to-air rating. If it is a back-up fighter in the line, you only add it's air-to-air values as tenths. That is how it works.

Read my post again.

Your carrier planes are worthless in supporting Land units in Denmark because in Air-to-air combat they are at one-tenth their air-to-air strength against the German FTR units.

I said nothing about CAP other than you would need FTR from Great Britain if the CVP were to be used as back up fighters.

< Message edited by Extraneous -- 8/12/2013 3:34:10 PM >

Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> AI Opponent Discussion >> RE: AI for MWiF - Germany - French Conquest Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI