Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can we give suggestions ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Can we give suggestions ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can we give suggestions ? - 11/17/2005 8:32:55 AM   
Williamb

Sorry for not catching this game announcement earlier.

I have both full versions of TOAW and cant play them on my latest computer so I appricate the windows update.

However would like a bounce a couple of ideas in hopes they might me incorporated sometime in the future.

One suggestion I have is to change the way colors are used in the game.

Sound strange ? it isnt. For some reason in TOAW color was used to represent NOT nationality but rather what formation organization the unit was a part of.

For example all soviet armys for most of the scenario were red background but different units had different forground colors to distinguish what organization they belonged to. And it was incorporated into the game engine.

The problem ? to few colors meant some real limitations to how units could be assigned. In scenarios like Korea that meant some really weird color combinations.

So would like to see the color/organization scheme dropped and color be used to keep track of different units say like armor and guard or elite units. That would be more effective than some organization based color scheme.

And further down the road would love to see some smaller scale battles and maps appear. I personally love battalion sized battles and it was heart breaking to see all the division and corp sized battles in the scenarios.

I myself did some work on some battles I wanted to see in this kind of scale. Here is a short list of battles I started to create but want to finish some time soon.

1)I was working on a battalion sized recreation of the Soviet-Afganistan war. I got a source on many of the major soviet formations and major muhajadeen factions and was working on some good event triggers for this war. Would like some new way to do guerillas for it.

I was doing a battalion sized recreation of a second US civil war set in 1940. What I did was divide the WWII US military divisions into state guard (with some exceptions) based on North/South divison.
Sort of a turtledove loike fictional campaign with even leaders like Patton and Eisenhower taking sides.
HOWEVER in difference to other type scenarios like this I wanted to focus on tactical doctrine being different. For example The north would have the US WWII doctrine of heavy firepower, Naval power and air power. The would have Sherman Tanks and P51s, B17s and Carrier task forces.

The South would have a completely different doctrine. One of mobility and defense. They would have Lee and Stuart tanks for rapid mobility and Tank destroyers (like the wolverine and Jackson) and P38s and B25s and be good at defensive tactics and have naval raiders rather than major fleets.

The purpose would be to play each as a different doctrine and see if light and mobile can beat heavy firepower with the South playing to hold off the North for as long as it can to force a peace.

also political events could see such things as BEF or FEF (french expeditionary forces) joining in. Also French CharB and British Crusader tanks could find their way into this war in a form of reverse lense lease.

hope to finish that if we get a new game.

Those are two examples of things I was working on. hopefully the new version will allow an easier method of creating scenarios to make the game mush more fun.

So good luck to the designers and hope to see this soon !

Post #: 1
RE: Can we give suggestions ? - 11/19/2005 6:38:52 AM   
L`zard

William........

Just a slight question here, eh?

When you mention 'both' what do you mean by that?

You understand that toaw:acow (the operational art of war: a century of warfar) rev 1.04 (1.06 patch is considered 'buggy'....) is the present standard for scenario designers, eh?

Further, that playing on a XP os system requires a few changes to your 'start-up' icon properties?

Or are we entirely not on the same page?

Just wondering.........most of your post seems to refer to the 'game editor' et al, which has been changed quite a bit from the early versions of the game.

Expanding on your question might help you find your desired answers, eh?

"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

(in reply to Williamb)
Post #: 2
RE: Can we give suggestions ? - 11/19/2005 10:22:23 PM   
Peever

Yesterday was the first time I've come to the Matrix website in some time and was ecstatic to see that the Battleground civil war games and TOAW would be getting updated.

So I had to reinstall Century of Warfare and start playing again. One thing I would like to see is a "More Info" dialog box in the "Theater Options".

In my current game (Europe AFlame-my first time playing this mega scenario and loving it) there are certain theater options that I have no clue as to what they do. Many are obvious as to what they do but there are some that I was unsure of.

Examples: As Germany there is an "Opertaion Yellow" option and my WWII knowledge is not very robust so I had to look it up to find out what this operation was.

There is also a "Buy Franco blah blah blah" ahistorical option and I had to look that one up in the readme that came with the scenario to see what it would do.

I would like to be able to right-click on a Theater Option to get some more information has to what the option involves. It would be more convient than having to look them up outside of the game.

"Sergeant the Spanish bullet isn't made that will kill me," Bucky O'Neil seconds before receiving a fatal shot to the head at the battle of San Juan Hill.

(in reply to Williamb)
Post #: 3
RE: Can we give suggestions ? - 11/19/2005 11:26:51 PM   
Williamb

Well to clear it up I have never been able to run TOAW on the platest windows very well if at all.

In fact I have to use my older computer with Windows 98 to play most of the games and downloads I have for it.

So hopefully the issues that cause my TOAW to not run will clear up and I will see the changes in the editor.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I think I might have a different copy of TOAW 1 and TOAW 2 and not the century of warfare version and that is why I cant run it in latest windows. I bought older versions of the two TOAWs seperately.

A fix is need for those two I guess.

(in reply to Peever)
Post #: 4
RE: Can we give suggestions ? - 11/20/2005 12:45:53 AM   
L`zard

quote:

ORIGINAL: William Amos

I think I might have a different copy of TOAW 1 and TOAW 2 and not the century of warfare version and that is why I cant run it in latest windows. I bought older versions of the two TOAWs seperately.

A fix is need for those two I guess.

LOL! Yeah, Toaw:Matrix Edition ought to do the trick.....

"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

(in reply to Williamb)
Post #: 5
RE: Can we give suggestions ? - 11/20/2005 2:56:44 AM   
mamnich24

Dear Matrix Team,
I hope you will keep the intro video. This adds to the game for me.
Will the manual still be included? Hope so.
I like the game interface, and hope you can keep it the same.
Thanks,
Mike

(in reply to Williamb)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Can we give suggestions ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI