Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Two questions about fleet...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Two questions about fleet... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Two questions about fleet... - 11/27/2005 8:42:51 PM   
Tootenhamon

I have three newbiee questions about navy procedures. If anyone could help me, i would be very greatfull...

Firstly, when i try to embark troops on a well formed task force, they are beginning to embark, and than in the next turn when i am looking at progress of loading, i see "unloading troops". What am i doing wrong? Because i know i am doing something wrong..

Second, when i begin a game with scenario "War in the Pacific" i see that IJN Yamato will be ready in 164 days or something. All right. But when i am going through few more turns, when i look there once again, the ship will be ready still in 164 days. What's wrong? The production is in the same place when i started few days or weeks ago...

Third, how does the Japanese ship build acceleration works? Doese it have any influence on time the ship is going to be commisioned?

Thank you very much.
Post #: 1
RE: Two questions about fleet... - 11/27/2005 9:00:07 PM   
dtravel

I can't help with your second and third question but for the first one, does the TF have a destination? If the TF is just in port with no destination it will start loading and then immediately begin unloading because it thinks it has reached its destination. One work around is to click on "Unloading Allowed" to change it to "Do No Unload". The TF will then load up and stay loaded until you click on the line again to allow it to unload.

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to Tootenhamon)
Post #: 2
RE: Two questions about fleet... - 11/27/2005 9:05:53 PM   
kkoovvoo

2/ You should look whether on the ships reinforcement list BB Yamato isnt "halted". That should be reason why estimated time of arrival isnt decreasing.

3/ If you dont change anything (letting all ships on normal) on the ships reinforcement screen, all ships will arrive on estimated time of arrival (ETA).

You can accelerate some ships (each turn their ETA will be decreased for 2 days) or halt ships (ETA wont decrease)

You have naval shipyards and merchant shipyards in Japan, which produces points.

These points will allow you to accelerate ships which you choose. You have around 1000 naval shipyard points (for warships) and merchant shipyard points each (for non warships) for each day.

Spending these points depends on durabilty of ship. If you accelarate BB Musashi with 185 durability, you spend 185 naval shipyard points each day.

You can also obtain more naval shipyard by halting your ships. If you halt BB Musashi, you will get 185 extra naval shipyard points.

1/ dtravel is correct, probably your fleet doesnt have set any destination hex (so it loads, returns to home port and starts unloading). So:

a/ change destination hex or
b/ change "Unload" to "Do not unload" in TF screen. But I warn you, dont forget about this because situation "WTF, we are at enemy base and those bastards dont want to leave their ships" may occur

Post #: 3
RE: Two questions about fleet... - 11/27/2005 9:07:56 PM   
scout1

quote:

Second, when i begin a game with scenario "War in the Pacific" i see that IJN Yamato will be ready in 164 days or something. All right. But when i am going through few more turns, when i look there once again, the ship will be ready still in 164 days. What's wrong? The production is in the same place when i started few days or weeks ago...

Third, how does the Japanese ship build acceleration works? Doese it have any influence on time the ship is going to be commisioned?

Welcome aboard to the Darkside

Japanese ship production was planned by the Marx brothers. They have more in the pipeline than they can actually advance. The biggest problem is the Shinano, eats up ALOT of resources. Halt this pig and alot of project will progress. The acceleration basically allows for a project to advance more than day for day, BUT is doubles (or triples the cost). So planning is essential. There are a couple of very good Excel spreadsheet that players have created on Spooky's website that will provide much more insight to shipbuilding....

Post #: 4
RE: Two questions about fleet... - 11/27/2005 9:18:51 PM   
Tootenhamon

quote:

I can't help with your second and third question but for the first one, does the TF have a destination? If the TF is just in port with no destination it will start loading and then immediately begin unloading because it thinks it has reached its destination. One work around is to click on "Unloading Allowed" to change it to "Do No Unload". The TF will then load up and stay loaded until you click on the line again to allow it to unload.

It might be this, but if i will select destination for a transport TF, will it wait for the troops or it will just go to its destination and won't be looking for soldiers?

quote:

2/ You should look whether on the ships reinforcement list BB Yamato isnt "halted". That should be reason why estimated time of arrival isnt decreasing.

It's not halted. It's just "Normal 165 (or some other number)". And when i look at the list at first day, it says that Yamato will be ready in some around half of year. And when i look at it after a day, week, month, it is still in the same point of building, date of commision haven't moved even for a day...

quote:

Japanese ship production was planned by the Marx brothers. They have more in the pipeline than they can actually advance. The biggest problem is the Shinano, eats up ALOT of resources. Halt this pig and alot of project will progress. The acceleration basically allows for a project to advance more than day for day, BUT is doubles (or triples the cost). So planning is essential. There are a couple of very good Excel spreadsheet that players have created on Spooky's website that will provide much more insight to shipbuilding....

Sory, my English isn't good enough yet... Do you mean, that if i am building one big ship, than it takes build power from another ships to be build? And lastly, could you provide me with a link to that "Spooky's" site?

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 5
RE: Two questions about fleet... - 11/27/2005 9:45:59 PM   
scout1

Spooky's site ....

www.mathubert.free.fr

I must for any WitP fan ....

Post #: 6
RE: Two questions about fleet... - 11/27/2005 9:52:34 PM   
hawker

quote:

Did you set reinfocments on "fixed" or "variable"?
If you set on "variable" that is the answer on your second question.

Fortess fortuna iuvat

Post #: 7
RE: Two questions about fleet... - 11/27/2005 10:29:51 PM   
Arstavidios

Japanese ships use shipyard points to be built. If you do not have enough shipyard points some ships will not advance. A ship takes 1X its durability to advance 1 day when under production. That is ETA is under ?(not sure aboutthenumber)X its durability. If it's not under production ETA advances one day for free.

If you accelerate a ship it will cost 3X its durability to advance 2 days if it's under production and 1X its durability if it's not under production andunderacertain ETA limit I think.

You can seeyour number of shipyard points in the production screen. Combat ships use shipyard points Merchantships use merchant yard points.

At start the Japanese does not have enough points for everything, or barely enough at best. So you need to stop something if you want to accelerate all those lovely carriers otherwise some projects will be stuck.

(in reply to hawker)
Post #: 8
RE: Two questions about fleet... - 11/28/2005 6:08:06 AM   
Mynok

quote:

It might be this, but if i will select destination for a transport TF, will it wait for the troops or it will just go to its destination and won't be looking for soldiers?

Start the loading process, then set the destination. It will load all the troops assigned to it (assuming it has capacity) then move.

(in reply to Arstavidios)
Post #: 9
RE: Two questions about fleet... - 11/28/2005 4:14:34 PM   
Sparrow

G'Day Toot

I can't answer questions 2 & 3 but please find below an example to solve your loading problem mentioned in Q1

IN THIS ORDER:
Create TF or access an existing TF
Click on your TF objective hex or way point hex.
Specify your load ..... (troops or cargo etc).
Specify Unit if loading troops.
THAT's IT.

If your TF needs to negotiate around enemy Land, Sea or Air concentration click on a safe way point hex then continue with your loading instructions. Before you finish with your TF specify a new home base which will now become your TF objective once it has reached the specified way point.

Your TF should now complete it's loading, sail to the way point then sail to it's final objective with all hands and cargo in good condition ....... that's without enemy intervention.

I hope this may help as you become more familar with the game.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 10
RE: Two questions about fleet... - 11/28/2005 4:55:01 PM   
dereck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

quote:

Start the loading process, then set the destination. It will load all the troops assigned to it (assuming it has capacity) then move.

You may want to load the troops first with "Do Not Unload" set before setting your destination. There have been a few times when, despite my best efforts, I haven't had the exact tonnage needed to load an entire unit and the ships would leave a fragment behind. Loading first before setting the destination would allow you to load the missing fragment onto another task force, combine the two together and then have the whole unit in one task force to be sent to their destination.

Only takes an extra turn but could save you some frustration for when it happens.

PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 11
RE: Two questions about fleet... - 12/4/2005 4:13:41 PM   
Tootenhamon

Ah, everything is all right. But now i have one more question. When i am playing a small size map (southern pacific for example) the production is set off for both japanese and allies. And now i have situation that i have two heavy cruisers damaged. How do i have to repair them? Is there any way to send them out of the scenario to some base in USA and they will come back fully repaired after some time?

(in reply to dereck)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Two questions about fleet... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI