Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Where I can buy TOAW from still?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Where I can buy TOAW from still? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 11/28/2005 5:34:28 PM   
Japanese_Spirit

Hi there,

First of all, allow me to say that I am very pleased Matrix Games will be taking on this fine title and hopefully once more, this great game, from what I hear, will be re-released once again for the newer and up-to-date systems, not to mention create a new following of players.

Anyway, despite this good news, development time for the new Matrix Edition is still on going and from what I believe, it could take a while for the new edition to be released. That is why I am interested in purchasing the original Talonsoft version of TOAW: Century of Warfare.

So far, I have not been able to even find it. I am looking for a brand new version that is still being sold, not second hand. I have played a demo, which was released on Gamespot, although the version is TOAW Volume 1, not any of the later versions. It runs fine on my Windows XP, so it shouldn't be a problem for an original......

So, can anyone help me? European websites would do, aslong as any website is a trusted website, mind you, and sells new copies, then I will be okay with that.

Thankyou for your time
Post #: 1
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 11/28/2005 6:47:39 PM   
golden delicious

I don't think anywhere is selling new copies of TOAW. Until Matrix bought the rights, the only place that was known to do so was the Take Two website.

Since Take Two is no longer selling TOAW, if they had some copies of the game in stock then they presumably became property of Matrix when the rights to the game were sold. It might be worth e-mailing someone at Matrix to find out about this.

Otherwise you will most likely either have to look for a second hand copy or wait for Matrix to release their version.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Japanese_Spirit)
Post #: 2
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 11/28/2005 8:27:15 PM   
Japanese_Spirit

Thankyou for your reply.

I see, that is indeed a shame but I might actually probably try E-mailing someone from Matrix to see if they have any extra copies they might be willing to sell. Would anyone here know of where I could find someone or a list of Matrix members whom I could contact regarding this issue?

Thanks.

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 3
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 11/28/2005 8:34:16 PM   
golden delicious

There's support@matrixgames.com

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Japanese_Spirit)
Post #: 4
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 11/29/2005 6:33:09 AM   
mamnich24

I'd like a copy of TOAW:COW too if you find any available.
Mike

Post #: 5
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 12/1/2005 1:24:24 AM   
Nemo69

There always the NWS store here, listing TOAW CoW, even if as a 'special order item' (no price or availability mentioned on their site as of now).

Hope both of you will be able to get your hands on a copy.

Fais ce que dois

(in reply to mamnich24)
Post #: 6
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 12/1/2005 9:05:16 AM   
L`zard

As much as I'm willing to support Matrix, in the interim there's still ebay.........if you 'have to do it' now.........

"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

(in reply to Nemo69)
Post #: 7
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 12/1/2005 4:53:55 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: L`zard

As much as I'm willing to support Matrix, in the interim there's still ebay.........if you 'have to do it' now.........

Every time I've checked, eBay has only been selling Volume I and WotY.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to L`zard)
Post #: 8
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 12/4/2005 6:02:28 AM   
mamnich24

Dear Guys,
If I bought WOTY edition, how much would I be losing from the COW edition? I assume patches would be available to patch WOTY to COW standards. What scenarios would I be missing that I could not get at the Wargamer, etc.? Were there interface or intro video differences or other differences? I can't find COW, but might be able to find WOTY, and wondered if that was a good way to go.
Thanks,
Mike

Post #: 9
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 12/4/2005 11:52:48 AM   
Widell

Have a look here. There´s a no-CD patch for 1.04 that is likely legal to use if you can get your hands on a CD to make the base install from. As for patching from WOTY to COW, I don´t think that´s possible. Two different games, even if they look the same once you run them...

/Widell

(in reply to mamnich24)
Post #: 10
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 12/4/2005 4:01:54 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: mamnich

Dear Guys,
If I bought WOTY edition, how much would I be losing from the COW edition? I assume patches would be available to patch WOTY to COW standards. What scenarios would I be missing that I could not get at the Wargamer, etc.? Were there interface or intro video differences or other differences? I can't find COW, but might be able to find WOTY, and wondered if that was a good way to go.
Thanks,
Mike

WotY patched up should play fine- but the problem is that the community standard is COW. Everyone PBMs in COW, everyone designs scenarios for COW and user-made utilities like the BioEd work with COW.

This sucks- basically the extra release was nothing but a cash cow (pun intended) for Talonsoft. Unfortunately, unless you can figure a way to convince everyone else to go back to using WotY (hard work since I don't even own that game), you're going to have to find a copy of COW.... or wait for Matrix to publish something.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to mamnich24)
Post #: 11
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 12/5/2005 6:39:20 PM   
graf spee

i have COW wich I played maybe 5 times so its almost new.
I'm willing to sell it but it depends on the priceyou want to pay for it.
Furthermore I live in Belgium,so there are also the shipping costs to consider.
Please mail me if interested.
Regards
Bob

Post #: 12
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 12/6/2005 5:39:15 PM   
oi_you_nutter

I am having a game clearout, and was planning of flogging them and other games to NWS. To be honest I do not have the patience to list them all on ebay.

my game for sell list includes
TAOW I CD
TAOW II CD + Kosovo Mission CD
I have the manual for at least one of them, I just cannot remember which one at this moment.

Unfortunately I want to keep hold of my TAOW-COW for myself.

If anyone is interested, PM me

(in reply to graf spee)
Post #: 13
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 12/7/2005 12:45:12 AM   
DanNeely

I know someone on warfarehq was/is collecting old versions of toaw to be used as scenario updators (acow can only read scens from the most recent patches of toaw1/2/woty), but I'm not sure if he has all the versions yet.

Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man ... weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not [it] an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
--Zachris Topelius

(in reply to oi_you_nutter)
Post #: 14
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 12/21/2005 8:09:33 PM   
a white rabbit

..maybe as it's open code, toaw-acow should available for free download somewhere..

..toodA, irmAb moAs'lyB 'exper'mentin'..,..beàn'tus all..?,

(in reply to DanNeely)
Post #: 15
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 12/21/2005 10:20:52 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

..maybe as it's open code, toaw-acow should available for free download somewhere..

Dream on, Richard.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to a white rabbit)
Post #: 16
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 1/5/2006 6:31:25 PM   
Erik Rutins

I would really advise anyone who wants TOAW now to just hold on a little while longer. We are not planning to keep this off the market for months. As soon as it returns with a Matrix Edition, you'll have an updated and supported version with ongoing development, which is definitely a strong plus over what you might get with an old version from Ebay.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 17
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 1/5/2006 8:52:59 PM   
sstevens06

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I would really advise anyone who wants TOAW now to just hold on a little while longer. We are not planning to keep this off the market for months. As soon as it returns with a Matrix Edition, you'll have an updated and supported version with ongoing development, which is definitely a strong plus over what you might get with an old version from Ebay.

Regards,

- Erik

This is very good news! Thanks for keeping us informed Erik.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 18
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 2/21/2006 6:57:14 PM   
Ogreking

Is there a "sign up sheet" to get an e-mail notification of when this hits the market? I'm horrible about staying up on games I find that sound interesting enough to buy but are not yet available.

Thanks.

(in reply to sstevens06)
Post #: 19
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 2/21/2006 8:09:05 PM   
Erik Rutins

If you sign up for our Members' Club and ask to be sent our newsletter, then you will definitely hear about this via e-mail even if you forget to return to the forums.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Ogreking)
Post #: 20
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 2/28/2006 5:09:48 AM   
Ike99

quote:

Regards,

- Erik

Am I understanding you correctly Richard? TOAW Matrix edition will be released within say 4 months?

Also...will this have the digital download option? As I'm on the other side, bottom half of the world this would be my prefered method of purchase.

And one more....

Do we have an idea as to the price? Are we talking 30 something, 40 something US dollars or more?

Gracias por todo!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 21
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 2/28/2006 5:31:04 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ike99

Am I understanding you correctly Richard? TOAW Matrix edition will be released within say 4 months?

Matrix have more than once mentioned a "first quarter" release date, which means by the end of March.

quote:

Also...will this have the digital download option?

Almost certainly.

quote:

Do we have an idea as to the price? Are we talking 30 something, 40 something US dollars or more?

I heard $40. Plus the cost of printing your own bloody manual.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 22
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 2/28/2006 5:34:19 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

I heard $40. Plus the cost of printing your own bloody manual.

You have to provide your own blood, it's strictly optional.

Post #: 23
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 4/5/2006 12:32:58 AM   
MorbiusStorm

A few questions. I have TOAW2 Elite Edition. Where does that sit in the food chain? What is COW and WOTY?

At one point I had TOAW1 & 2, in addition to the Elite Edition, but have managed to loose those over the years. For TOAW2 elite edition, I only have the original disc. It looks like its brand new even. But I don't have the box or instructions any more. Are there some web sites dedicated to TOAW that might help me get started with it again? Patches, mods, etc.

Also, I'm not trying to flame or be negative with this new undertaking from Matrix. I'd like to see it happen. But I do have to ask something? Is this new updated version just going to be the old version, tweaked and adjusted to run on XP, for roughly $40? I know we might not have the exact cost released yet. I also know that for this to be profitable for Matrix, especially with this type of gaming being more of a niche group, that its likely they won't have the same number of end players buying it, as would something like Half Life. But, not trying to be cynical, I seem to be getting the impression that we'll be paying almost the cost of a full and new game, in exchange for a tweak to an old game to make it run on XP? Am I wrong? I hope so. But are we getting a couple tweaks, like some simple logging that is churned out as a sit rep and then its going to be sold at a price of maybe $10 less then a full game? Or should this be priced closer to an expansion pack?

What I'm saying is that I don't know what kind of upgrade is going into this project. But I get the impression its just a tweak/expansion in terms of value. And also that it could be priced at maybe $10 less then a full new game that had years of development put into it. Is it going to warrant calling this an entirely new game version, with fancy new and expanded this and that? Or is it virtually going to be a tweak, to make it work on XP with one or two little expansion pack values added? What exactly is the scope of this project and will it be priced accordingly?

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 24
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 4/5/2006 1:58:39 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eloryn

A few questions. I have TOAW2 Elite Edition. Where does that sit in the food chain? What is COW and WOTY?

TOAW2 EE would be the carcass from Thanksgiving's turkey, two years ago. WOTY, was the Christmas ham that you left in the tupperware and forgot in the back of the patio fridge. CoW is last week's pizza - still edible, if you're on a budget, but you might want to sprinkle a bit more parmesan on it, before you pop it into the oven for a reheat.

We're not reinventing the wheel here, or pizzas for that matter, but if you want the meal delivered, clad in Matrix's version of the stay fresh pouch, then you will end up paying the cost of a full game again. And that will be around the cost of 2 or 3 pizzas in most locales.

(in reply to MorbiusStorm)
Post #: 25
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 4/5/2006 2:41:03 AM   
golden delicious

What I find appealling about what Matrix is doing is the suggestion that there will be ongoing development of TOAW in the long term.

As it stands, none of the features that have so far been mentioned make me want to shell out $40. But I expect that to change in the future.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 26
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 4/5/2006 4:48:02 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

quote:

TOAW2 EE would be the carcass from Thanksgiving's turkey . . . that will be around the cost of 2 or 3 pizzas in most locales.

Maybe I can provide a more direct answer to your question.

TOAW2 Elite Edition and WOTY are basically obsolete. Little, if anything, is being done to support either the game or scenarios. COW patched to 1.04 is the current version for the majority of the TOAW community. TOAW 3 is the upcoming version slated to be released by Matrix.

As I understand it, the Matrix plan is to issue TOAW 3 as soon as possible containing fixes for the most glaring bugs and most popularly requested features. Of course all this is subject to the amount of programming and testing required to incorporate the changes. TOAW 3 is more or less is intended to give the community some immediate gratification and to give Matrix some feedback regarding the financial viability of TOAW. Personally, I think that they will be glad they bought the rights to TOAW.

A longer range goal is for a release incorporating as many of the more difficult features and bug fixes as possible. This could be a ways down the road and the game engine may not be compatible with existing scenarios. But this is for the future to tell.

If you are curious concerning the types of bugs and features identified by the TOAW community, you can check out the “Bugs Extermination List and Features/Modifications List” threads located at:

http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=224

Obviously the lists are much longer than we can expect for the next revision, but it is a good indicator of what is desired. Shouldn’t be too long before we find out the details.

Regards, RhinoBones

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 27
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 4/5/2006 6:19:49 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Also, I'm not trying to flame or be negative with this new undertaking from Matrix. I'd like to see it happen. But I do have to ask something? Is this new updated version just going to be the old version, tweaked and adjusted to run on XP, for roughly $40? I know we might not have the exact cost released yet. I also know that for this to be profitable for Matrix, especially with this type of gaming being more of a niche group, that its likely they won't have the same number of end players buying it, as would something like Half Life. But, not trying to be cynical, I seem to be getting the impression that we'll be paying almost the cost of a full and new game, in exchange for a tweak to an old game to make it run on XP? Am I wrong? I hope so. But are we getting a couple tweaks, like some simple logging that is churned out as a sit rep and then its going to be sold at a price of maybe $10 less then a full game? Or should this be priced closer to an expansion pack?

What I'm saying is that I don't know what kind of upgrade is going into this project. But I get the impression its just a tweak/expansion in terms of value. And also that it could be priced at maybe $10 less then a full new game that had years of development put into it. Is it going to warrant calling this an entirely new game version, with fancy new and expanded this and that? Or is it virtually going to be a tweak, to make it work on XP with one or two little expansion pack values added? What exactly is the scope of this project and will it be priced accordingly?

Matrix bought the rights to TOAW. They could have just continued to sell ACOW at the full price that Talonsoft had been selling it for. Instead they've chosen to invest time and resources to make a new update for it. Like everyone else, I have high hopes for further radical improvements in the future. But even if they don't materialize, I'm confident just the bug fixes included in the first version will be justification enough for long time addicts, like me. If you're addicted the price is trivial. And if you're an new convert, why would you buy any other version? As for someone with an obsolete version, they would have had to have purchased ACOW anyway, if they had wanted more than just PO play.

(in reply to MorbiusStorm)
Post #: 28
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 4/5/2006 10:28:55 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

Matrix bought the rights to TOAW. They could have just continued to sell ACOW at the full price that Talonsoft had been selling it for. Instead they've chosen to invest time and resources to make a new update for it. Like everyone else, I have high hopes for further radical improvements in the future. But even if they don't materialize, I'm confident just the bug fixes included in the first version will be justification enough for long time addicts, like me. If you're addicted the price is trivial. And if you're an new convert, why would you buy any other version? As for someone with an obsolete version, they would have had to have purchased ACOW anyway, if they had wanted more than just PO play.

We actually have had quite a bit of discussion about whether there were enough changes to justify calling it TOAW 3 instead of TOAW Matrix Edition.

The original plan was actually to put in and test the changes that Norm had made, and remarket it pretty much as is, just to get it back out on the market. It's getting pretty hard to find. Unfortunately, I didn't understand that was the plan, and made more changes than I should have, thanks to a great team of Beta Testers backing me up.

There are quite a few new features, tweaks and bug fixes in the new version. There are a couple of threads on the new features, and we'll probably see more threads, and a press release before too much longer.

Is any one feature going to be enough to entice players to return, new players to show up, and existing players to spend their money? Of course not. Is there at least one feature that will appeal to each person? I hope so, most of them were chosen because someone requested them. Are the total of the new features worth spending the money on? I think so, but I'm prejudiced<g>.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 29
RE: Where I can buy TOAW from still? - 4/5/2006 10:50:17 PM   
Dr. Foo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

Are the total of the new features worth spending the money on? I think so, but I'm prejudiced.

Oh...I think so. One of the fears that I have been having is getting TOAW to work on future operating systems. TOAWI, WOTY, TOAWII (to some extent) will not run on XP it is just a matter of time before CW is unsupported as well.

With TOAW III I can play for many more years to come!

*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Where I can buy TOAW from still? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI