Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rommel Attacks - Final Round Axis

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> Rommel Attacks - Final Round Axis Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rommel Attacks - Final Round Axis - 3/11/2016 7:21:43 AM   
Seminole

I've been asked to put together my final AAR on this forum.
Liquid Sky is welcome to contribute, as I look forward to better understanding his intentions and perceptions.

I leaned very heavily on offensive operations in the prior rounds as both sides with excellent results. I felt my best chance lie in the same kind of effort for the final round, but I sought to calibrate my initial attack and forego the chance at the broadest sweep behind the enemy. Instead I feared LS might be as aggressive, and for that reason I tried initially to keep my panzer division held in reserve instead of leading the charge.
I felt more confident in my chances as the Allies overall, and so expected the best odds of the winning the tournament was to play just a touch more cautiously as the Axis than I had so far.
I did not put any thought into trying to count VP allocations round by round and final result to decide on a strategy. Instead I was aiming to obtain a points victory by virtue of controlling the battlefield. It worked splendidly the first two rounds, and if I could do it as the Allies I only had to play aggressively, but competently, as the Axis to secure an overall win.
That was the plan...

Initial recon revealed the Allied right flank was sparsely screened by green Free French forces. The Americans in the vanguard could be encircled and cause the disintegration of the Allied line.
To pull this off would require weakening the Axis right flank to provide a local superiority in maneuver forces.
Air Directives were assigned to try and recon the Allied rear as well as deliver unit bombing to the Allied right wing.

Luftwaffe maintains the upper hand early on, but I wish my losses had been lower.

By design I hit the French the hardest. Hope is to shatter these units with the initial blow, and not have to worry about their ability to screen any further advance on the Allied right flank.

Rommel had called in a favor and obtained the services of Hermann Balck, placing him in command of the Afrika Panzer Corps. Balck keenly perceived Rommel's overall intentions, and could be counted upon to utilize his own initiative to obtain the goals without further specific instructions. This was critical, as a stomach bug (perhaps related to Italian cuisine) claimed Rommel's command before the second week of operations.

Rommel's first orders were for the Italian commandos to probe the flanks of the French screen. Their motorization and fighting elan made them perfect as harassing units.
The 2nd Italian commando battalion spooked the Goums El FF Sahrien Cavalry with gunfire before retiring to the northwest and into the desert leaving the Frenchman to wonder if they had been overrun and no one had thought to tell them...
The Meharist Sahrien FF Infantry battalion, bivouacked on a mountaintop, could clearly see the 1st Italian commando battalion take up positions toward their northwest, blocking retreat toward Kasserine. The terrain played havoc with wireless signals, and when they observed German motorized infantry maneuvering past them to the south morale began to plummet.

Further south at Gafsa the 1st Luftwaffe Jaeger Brigade, reinforced with the motley crew of Kampstaffel Rommel, prepared to make the initial assault.

Their target was the Algiers Sahrien FF Infantry Battalion holding the extreme right edge of the Allied line.
Allied aircraft show up in droves, but cannot help turn the tide of 10-1 on the ground.

After the Algerian infantry are forced back toward Tozeur the German motorized infantry sweep back north, cutting off the Meharist FF on the mountaintop.

Rommel personally commands the battle, and the Free French are routed in spite of the Allies again taking command of the skies. It looks like there simply wasn't enough mileage left over after the bombing campaign for the Luftwaffe to also provide the expected air superiority to the battlefield.

Rommel radios von Arnim that the Allied right flank has been blown wide open. Afrika 5th Panzer Army shatters the Goums El FF Sahrien Cavalry battalion. Even with Allied air cover the animal mounted troops fled at the sight of Italian armored vehicles. Fredendall was unable to manage the retreat into the mountains under the harassment of the Italian commandos and the formation simply melted into the wilderness.

Only managed to destroy 1 of the 3 French formations on the enemy wing. Not the best start, but we're happy to have lodged a success in the face of unexpected Allied air power.

3/15th Pzr Div overtakes the Italian armored division to sweep in and block the pass west of Kasserine.
This advance displaces the routed French Meharist battalion, who gather at Tbessa.
With the pass blocked Balck now attacks the Americans in the valley to the east. The 2/10th & 3/10th Pzr Div are joined by the 47th Airlanding Bde. CCC 1st US Armored Brigade is simply overwhelmed, and again Allied airpower cannot offer enough help.

Von Arnim orders the construction of several fortified zones behind the right flank that is his responsibility. These are 99% intended for psychological effect, on both the Italians and the Allies, to provide the illusion of a line of defenses that simply doesn't exist.

Post #: 1
RE: Rommel Attacks - Final Round Axis - 3/11/2016 6:08:53 PM   
Seminole

As Balck orders the 2/10th & 3/10th Pzr Div and the 47th Airlanding Bde. to continue advancing west the Italian armored division breaks down to complete the American encirclement. The 7th IT Mot. Bersaglieri Rgt converts to an on map unit and takes up position in the mountains to maintain overwatch on the American Rangers and another Free French battalion that anchors the remnants of the Allied right wing.

The 3/1st US Inf Div flees from the panzers, joining the American armor trapped in the mountains.
The Italians re-position to create a better encirclement while Von Arnim positions 21st Panzer Division to block the American escape from Sdid Bouzid.

I gave most of my thought to how to best tie this noose. Because I wanted to leave the elements of the 21st panzer division near my center to counter a possible strong Allied effort on the right wing the question was simply whether to break them down, or leave them concentrated and provide gaps for the American armor to range south or east, potentially disrupting supplies.
I decided with the clear terrain my panzers could likely hold against the encircled Americans. With an estimated 4 CV I expected the surrounded Allies to only have 1 (or likely <1) CV, and thus little hope of breaking out. The mountains and additional screen to the northeast gave me confidence I could focus on mopping up the Americans at Sdid Bouzid next week and then decide which direction to commit the 21st Pzr Div (defensively on the right wing, or offensively on the left - depending upon how the Allies responded).

Balck's corps is re-assigned to Von Arnim, who relocates his Afrika 5th Panzer Army HQ to the 1st Fortified Zone at Kairouan. This placement will allow him to better support the front line forces, as well as help conceal the true nature of the FZ to aerial recon.

< Message edited by Seminole -- 3/11/2016 6:18:45 PM >

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 2
RE: Rommel Attacks - Final Round Axis - 3/12/2016 11:55:36 AM   
LiquidSky

Ahh..the allies. To be honest, I didn't really have any kind of coherent plan to start. I am aware of the strength of the allies...with a force ratio of about 2-1 including many divisions which allow a strength concentration.

But then, I wasn't given an opportunity to think of the future. Sdid Bouzid was surrounded!

At first, I was shocked. Units surrounded and destroyed are easy vps. But then I did the math.

A US CC Armoured Brigade. About 15vps. A US infantry regiment. About 8 vps. For this I am sitting on a victory hex that gives me 25 vps, on each turn (his and mine) for a total of 50 vps. So even if the worst happens, I still gain vps.

But I don't want the worst...I want the best. So I plan my air mission.

All available planes are to bomb the 1/21st Panzer. I fly the maximum number of AD's hitting an unfortified small target in a clear hex. (with minimal flak). I send them in at 9000 feet (unknown to me to be much harder to intercept....I was wondering why I didn't get a lot of planes shot down.)

The ensuing combat with the isolated units (with full ammo, and enough fuel to launch a Full Attack) meeting an infantry regiment moving south puts Sdid Bouzid back into supply, and easily routs the offending panzer unit.

With a lot less admin points then the Germans, I only have enough to set up Bradley in II Corp, and start work on upgrading the airfield in Tbessa.

The overall plan so far is to try and hold the high ground near the objectives in the center, and to use the allied bombers to bomb airfields to hurt the Luftwaffe enough to gain air superiority. But the Axis have the initiative.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> Rommel Attacks - Final Round Axis Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI