Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Steam?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> Steam? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Steam? - 2/9/2021 7:48:51 PM   
Capt Cliff

Will the game be released onto Steam or will Matrix be the only place to buy it?

Capt. Cliff
Post #: 1
RE: Steam? - 3/3/2021 9:21:54 PM   
sPzAbt653

I hope they stay away from steam. That way the developers can concentrate on one pure version. Steam may pick up a few sales but there will be loss of players on the back-end that offsets that profit. Plus, no one can prove that those steam sales would not have occurred thru Matrix anyway. Our community [wargames, historical simulation] is better off without steam.

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 2
RE: Steam? - 3/4/2021 4:55:54 PM   
Simulacra53

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

I hope they stay away from steam. That way the developers can concentrate on one pure version. Steam may pick up a few sales but there will be loss of players on the back-end that offsets that profit. Plus, no one can prove that those steam sales would not have occurred thru Matrix anyway. Our community [wargames, historical simulation] is better off without steam.

With all due respect, that’s just nonsense.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 3
RE: Steam? - 3/5/2021 1:17:32 AM   
sPzAbt653

I've worked closely with two games that have suffered greatly by having to maintain two versions. There is no nonsense involved, it's very serious business. But I am not here to debate with steam users, only to forward my experience so that others may be better informed.

(in reply to Simulacra53)
Post #: 4
RE: Steam? - 3/5/2021 2:43:55 AM   
chris_merchant

jaw sagged somewhat but now back in place. All I can say is there are a lot of suffering games out there.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 5
RE: Steam? - 3/5/2021 10:25:46 AM   
Simulacra53

quote:

I've worked closely with two games that have suffered greatly by having to maintain two versions. There is no nonsense involved, it's very serious business. But I am not here to debate with steam users, only to forward my experience so that others may be better informed.

Probably poor design.
Not debating, why should I...

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 6
RE: Steam? - 3/5/2021 10:30:26 AM   
Simulacra53

...besides, in case you have failed to notice - it appears that VR is more than capable of successfully releasing and maintaining its games on Steam over a prolonged period of time.

Not a Steam fanboy, but your advice is full of bias - experience and all.
Again not interested in debating, but stating the obvious.

< Message edited by Simulacra53 -- 3/5/2021 10:33:18 AM >

Post #: 7
RE: Steam? - 3/5/2021 4:18:15 PM   
Vic

So far we have always released my games like 2-6 months after Matrix release on Steam, so... I don't think Ardennes will be any different :)

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

Post #: 8
RE: Steam? - 3/13/2021 9:18:12 AM   
MarechalJoffre

quote:

This is a very poor take.

I like to purchase my games through Steam due to the convenience it provides and its adjustable currency rates. Given the option, I'll always purchase on Steam first before anywhere else.

Wargaming is absolutely not "better off without Steam", as made evident by the recent release of Combat Mission games which brought in a lot of new players to the genre.

< Message edited by MarechalJoffre -- 3/13/2021 9:49:22 AM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 9
RE: Steam? - 3/13/2021 3:16:38 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

I like to purchase my games through Steam due to the convenience it provides and its adjustable currency rates.

This has nothing to do with games. Don't say I have a poor take when you don't understand the issue. Combat Mission? This game [pictured below] is in no way the type of game that I am referring to. Steam has a place for some games, but not the ones I am speaking of [such as Decisive Campaigns, Strategic Command, or TOAW]. You can certainly have your games and your convenience of purchase, but don't defend that to the detriment of others. Some of us know how to download and install games, and some of us know how to convert currency, therefore some of us don't need our developers to spend time maintaining two separate versions of our games [one or the other of which generally do not work].

This is no historical simulation:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MarechalJoffre)
Post #: 10
RE: Steam? - 3/13/2021 3:43:42 PM   
Oberst_Klink

To Steam or not to Steam, that's not the question.🙃 I've mentioned it in another thread here; Vic's new DC4 system is perfect to convert some of the classic scenarios from V4V, as well as Battlefront and other games. The logistic, supply and event system of DC4 alone would make it worth doing it, no? Just my 2c.So, let's prepare for it. Prepare some OOBs, learn how to make some maps (you can use DC:CP to see how it works, incl. map overlay function) and so on.👍

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 11
RE: Steam? - 3/13/2021 4:09:06 PM   
OldSarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognerd_INC

Ok, I'm going to ask a dumb question.

What is DC:CP? I think the DC part is Decisive Campaigns but I can't figure the CP part. I'd like to look at this for future reference in map making.

Community Project, the link is here DC Community Project

You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
Post #: 12
RE: Steam? - 3/13/2021 5:32:39 PM   
Oberst_Klink

My mistake, should have clarified it and posted the link as well. As I said, modding made easy with Vic's system.

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Post #: 13
RE: Steam? - 3/13/2021 8:49:01 PM   
Simulacra53

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarechalJoffre

quote:

This is a very poor take.

I like to purchase my games through Steam due to the convenience it provides and its adjustable currency rates. Given the option, I'll always purchase on Steam first before anywhere else.

Wargaming is absolutely not "better off without Steam", as made evident by the recent release of Combat Mission games which brought in a lot of new players to the genre.

Don’t bother, it is a broken record...

(in reply to MarechalJoffre)
Post #: 14
RE: Steam? - 8/31/2021 3:02:07 PM   
freeboy

well
Once the early adopters buy as a developer why not use steam? and then
as a user
I like it that I can go buy a pc, add steam and start installing my; " using now games "

Post #: 15
RE: Steam? - 8/31/2021 10:30:44 PM   
sPzAbt653

Yes, it's very convenient. So is drinking your own urine.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 16
RE: Steam? - 9/1/2021 3:21:29 AM   
chris_merchant

if it stops the unwashed posting about 'how to the install teh patch or my monies back you bastaRDS' then how can it not be embraced by those bothered by such questions.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 17
RE: Steam? - 9/1/2021 3:33:36 PM   
freeboy

quote:

Yes, it's very convenient. So is drinking your own urine.

You will need to help me as its been a bit

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 18
RE: Steam? - 9/2/2021 1:05:09 AM   
sPzAbt653

I'm just saying, please don't blindly and ignorantly chastise someone or something because of ignorance and laziness. I.E., you may love steam, or vaccinations, but leave the rest of the world to live steam free, and vaxx free. All I've ever done is try to explain why steam is bad for our niche, and I am often ridiculed unfairly for telling the truth. I've said often that steam is good for some, just not us. It is adding to the degradation of our hobby. The only 'argument' for it is always 'oh, I'm too lazy or stupid to learn how to manipulate files on my computer so I need steam to do it for me'.

Give the rest of us a break and get with the 90's for chrissakes.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 19
RE: Steam? - 9/2/2021 7:56:53 AM   
Simulacra53

Time for meds…

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 20
RE: Steam? - 9/2/2021 3:59:49 PM   
elmo3

Vic has already stated his position in post #8. Maybe it would be best to lock this thread as it has no relevance to the game at this point.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

Post #: 21
RE: Steam? - 11/8/2021 9:21:09 PM   
eddieballgame

Per Steam, I am not a fan...but recognize that Steam is very popular with many gamers. (& sometimes, necessary for multiplayer & mods)
More so than, sadly, other reputable gaming stores such as Slitherine & Matrix for games of this genre.
Which, btw, usually give out Steam Keys.
One plus for this game, eventually, coming to Steam is how easy it will be to 'gift' it.
Shadow Empire is even on GOG now, so that will be a viable (favorite of many) site at some point.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 22
RE: Steam? - 11/9/2021 1:18:35 AM   
cristianwj

The best solution is bought it from Matrix and get your STEAM serial number when it released on Steam several month.
I think bought from Matrix could make better profit for developers, and using STEAM is much easier for users to update games automatically.

Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaign: Southern Strom
War in the East 2
Command Modern Operation
Field of Glory 2:Medieval
Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive

Welcome to follow me on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmu9TyhKQBM-0CL

(in reply to eddieballgame)
Post #: 23
RE: Steam? - 11/12/2021 1:23:22 PM   
ruzen

Good to know it's coming to Steam. Guess I have to wait few more months :)

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 24
RE: Steam? - 11/13/2021 1:45:45 PM   
shuaiqigezi

quote:

ORIGINAL: cristianwj

The best solution is bought it from Matrix and get your STEAM serial number when it released on Steam several month.
I think bought from Matrix could make better profit for developers, and using STEAM is much easier for users to update games automatically.

I agree with a lot of you.

(in reply to cristianwj)
Post #: 25
RE: Steam? - 11/13/2021 2:40:06 PM   
elmo3

I always buy from Matrix and then add the Steam code when it gets there.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to shuaiqigezi)
Post #: 26
RE: Steam? - 11/13/2021 3:38:44 PM   
terminator

It may be interesting to have both versions of the same game(Steam and Matrix) installed allowing to play with a mod on one version and keep the original game with the other version.

< Message edited by terminator -- 11/13/2021 3:39:44 PM >

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive >> Steam? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI