Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Map & counter mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> RE: Map & counter mod Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Map & counter mod - 10/31/2007 11:34:42 PM   
MarkShot

I just wanted to say that this is a superb mod. The map in instantly so much more readeable. I never really liked photo realism in maps. Maps are supposed to be abstract.

Thanks so much for this.

Shouldn't this work be stickied somewhere?!

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 91
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/1/2007 12:55:35 AM   
SMK-at-work

I like photo-realism (as you put it)

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 92
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/2/2007 8:15:12 AM   
GJK

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkShot

I just wanted to say that this is a superb mod. The map in instantly so much more readeable. I never really liked photo realism in maps. Maps are supposed to be abstract.

Thanks so much for this.

Shouldn't this work be stickied somewhere?!

Thanks Mark.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 93
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/2/2007 10:40:39 AM   
Adam Parker

I absolutely love the first screenshot that started this thread off! And I love the latest NATO look further down including cavalry.

GJK your map looks like something out of a quality GMT Games box! Perfect color palette.

Your mod is enough to make me seriously look at this game. Hope you find some nice hues for the Detente and Russian forces too.

Awesome mod!

Adam.

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 94
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/15/2007 10:48:20 PM   
MarkShot

I see that GOAMAP.bmp was changed with the beta 7 patch.

Will the mod still work with this patch?

Thanks.

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 95
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/15/2007 10:53:55 PM   
FrankHunter

There shouldn't be any problem

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 96
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/18/2007 10:01:53 PM   
GJK

Once the final patch comes out, I'll go through the new map (in the patch) hex by hex and make any corrections/updates to the mod and then repost it.

(in reply to FrankHunter)
Post #: 97
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/18/2007 10:05:11 PM   
MarkShot

Thanks. Very kind of you.

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 98
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/28/2007 11:02:28 AM   
GJK

I've updated the map with the changes from the v1.20 patch (looks like some forts were added, some other minor terrain changes). You can download this updated version at:

ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/GunsOfAugust/GOAmap_v120.zip (8.02mb)

I pretty much went hex by hex to verify that the terrain type matches the graphic displayed in the hex. Note to Mr. Hunter, there are numerous hexes that have hexes showing one graphic type but the read-out says something else entirely (forest for rough, clear for desert, sea for clear, etc) and also there's 2 towns that show as open (no town name is displayed either) and there's at least 2 locations on the original map that should have a town graphic but do not - I have made these changes for my version of the map. I can try and document these discrepancies for you (by hex location) or if you want to compare my map to yours side by side, you might get a good visual on where the differences are.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 99
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/28/2007 1:59:55 PM   
Noakesy

These look really nice, is there any way you can let an "IT Caveman" know what I'm supposed to do to import this map and counters please? Presumably if for some reason I didn't like it then I'd only have to re-load my game. Can you PBEM with people that don't download the mods?

Cheers

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 100
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/28/2007 3:48:31 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hey GJK,

Could you please drop me an e-mail at erikr@matrixgames.com?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 101
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/28/2007 5:18:11 PM   
GJK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Noakesy

These look really nice, is there any way you can let an "IT Caveman" know what I'm supposed to do to import this map and counters please? Presumably if for some reason I didn't like it then I'd only have to re-load my game. Can you PBEM with people that don't download the mods?

Cheers

Hi Noakesy,

It's pretty easy to "install" these mods while preserving copies of the original files in case you want to revert back (without having to re-install the game). Follow these steps:

1. Make backup's of your original files. If you go to the directory where you installed the game, there is a directory in there called "GRAPHICS". Inside of there is a folder called "COUNTERS". Either zip up that entire directory and name it something like "COUNTERS_BACKUP.zip" or you can left click on the directory once to select it, then right click and drag and drop that entire folder within the GRAPHICS folder and select "COPY HERE". That will make a copy of that folder and it will be called "Copy of COUNTERS".

2. Make a backup of the original map file. That file is in the GRAPHICS folder and is called "GOAmap.bmp". Use either one of the methods above to either zip archive it or make a copy of it.

3. After downloading my mod, you will unzip the archive in your GRAPHICS folder. It will prompt you to overwrite the entire "COUNTERS" folder as well as the "GOAmap.bmp" file. Select to allow it to do that. You will now have the new graphic set ready for use.

Using these will not affect a pbem game with others not using the graphics in any way.

NOTE: I've removed the archive that I uploaded last night and just uploaded a file of the same name that includes the COUNTERS folder with my counter mod (forgot to do that last night). If you don't want to use the counters, then simply unzip this file on your desktop or in some temporary location and then copy over just the "GOAmap.bmp" file to your GRAPHICS directory. The download remains the same as posted just above - if you grabbed this last night and don't have the counters but want them, then redownload this file. File size is now 9.63mb.

(in reply to Noakesy)
Post #: 102
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/28/2007 7:22:57 PM   
FrankHunter

quote:

Note to Mr. Hunter

I knew about the two cities and I did fix a couple of terrain glitches I found but if you have a list of anything still outstanding please send it to me and I'll correct the data if its wrong (if its the map that's wrong I can't do much about that).

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 103
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/28/2007 7:29:43 PM   
FrankHunter

Just to add, in the case of cities like Ostend, the data is right, the glitch is with the map, Ostend should be there which is why I didn't "fix" Ostend for 1.2

And thanks GJK and IronX for doing those mods!

Post #: 104
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/28/2007 10:33:05 PM   
GJK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hey GJK,

Could you please drop me an e-mail at erikr@matrixgames.com?

Regards,

- Erik

Email sent Erik -

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 105
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/28/2007 10:36:27 PM   
GJK

quote:

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

quote:

Note to Mr. Hunter

I knew about the two cities and I did fix a couple of terrain glitches I found but if you have a list of anything still outstanding please send it to me and I'll correct the data if its wrong (if its the map that's wrong I can't do much about that).

I don't have a list but let me see what I can do to put that together for you.

Post #: 106
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/28/2007 10:54:10 PM   
Lascar

I've noticed that the city of Pskov, in Russia, is in the wrong location. It should be two hexes to the northeast at the southern end of Lake Peipus.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 107
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/29/2007 5:30:17 AM   
IronX

quote:

And thanks GJK and IronX for doing those mods!

You're welcome! Thanks for the great game!

Post #: 108
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/29/2007 9:57:08 AM   
Noakesy

quote:

ORIGINAL: GJK

Hi Noakesy,

It's pretty easy to "install" these mods while preserving copies of the original files in case you want to revert back (without having to re-install the game). Follow these steps:

Excellent, thanks for your help on this. You never know, with Erik asking for your e-mail maybe they'll make your mods a formal patch

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 109
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/29/2007 3:07:19 PM   
StkNRdr

I was holding off on the next game until 1.2 and now that it's here, it's time.  I was also holding off on installing mods but decided to give them a go.  I want to thank both GJK and IronX for their mods, they are great and I think they do enhance the game.

(in reply to Noakesy)
Post #: 110
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/29/2007 6:03:29 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

quote:

ORIGINAL: StkNRdr

I was holding off on the next game until 1.2 and now that it's here, it's time. I was also holding off on installing mods but decided to give them a go. I want to thank both GJK and IronX for their mods, they are great and I think they do enhance the game.

Ditto from here too , many thanks to both for sterling effort

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to StkNRdr)
Post #: 111
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/29/2007 7:22:04 PM   
FrankHunter

Lascar, I don't know how I did that since I used a number of source maps to avoid just that type of thing.  But although I could fix it in the data quite easily it wouldn't be fixed on the map itself.  Too bad there wasn't a city where Pskov is, I would just rename it :-)

(in reply to Rob Brennan UK)
Post #: 112
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/29/2007 9:10:37 PM   
Joel Rauber

quote:

Lascar, I don't know how I did that since I used a number of source maps to avoid just that type of thing. But although I could fix it in the data quite easily it wouldn't be fixed on the map itself. Too bad there wasn't a city where Pskov is, I would just rename it :-)

IMO, Pskov is not that important of a city, so I'd just leave things the way they are until such a time that you have time to redo the map. I think it would be confusing to just have the data changed.

(Not a strong opinion)

Any relationship between what I say and reality is purely coincidental.

Joel Rauber

Post #: 113
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/29/2007 9:38:14 PM   
GJK

I can move the city in 2 strokes on the modded map. I could also make that change on the original map for you Frank if you would like.

(in reply to Joel Rauber)
Post #: 114
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/29/2007 9:52:00 PM   
Lascar

quote:

ORIGINAL: GJK

I can move the city in 2 strokes on the modded map. I could also make that change on the original map for you Frank if you would like.

Sounds like between you and Frank that it can be fixed quite easily

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 115
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/30/2007 2:32:19 AM   
pzgndr

Great map mod. The Overview and OverallGAOMap bitmaps should also be updated. I shrunk down GJK's map and they look good.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lascar)
Post #: 116
RE: Map & counter mod - 11/30/2007 2:59:12 AM   
MarkShot

I just tried out this enhancement to GJK's mod.

Sorry to be a perfectionist, but it just a hair short of perfection. It looks like on the pop-up map, the mini-counters used are the original ones and not the GJK modded ones.

Changing those would make the map transformation complete. Either way, it is still vastly more useful with these mods.

Thanks, all!

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 117
RE: Map & counter mod - 12/21/2007 10:05:21 AM   
Noakesy

Is there any way these mods can be added to member downloads the same was as the counter mods? It would be very helpful to have all of the 'authorised' modifications and player aids in one area (e.g. Flintlock's notes, the map and counter mods, and the Avalon Hill style player aids developed by another member (really sorry, can't recall his name right now))? Just a thought to help those of us that only drop by this forum from time to time, and can't then find all the helpful stuff players have developed.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 118
RE: Map & counter mod - 1/7/2008 11:09:57 PM   
pelle75

I'm trying 1.2 a now (finally) with the latest GJK map. It looks good, as always. Found one case of terrain not matching game data: the rough hex between Krakow and Przemysl looks like an open hex).

(in reply to Noakesy)
Post #: 119
RE: Map & counter mod - 2/19/2008 7:41:44 PM   
arichbourg

Although the new map is a fabulous piece of work, I prefer the original graphics. Frank says "if its the map that's wrong I can't do much about that". Why is that I wonder? I would really love to see the original map corrected (and maybe even add in the title graphic in the lower left gray box). Can either Frank, Matrix, or GJK provide such a map?

(in reply to pelle75)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> RE: Map & counter mod Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI