Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 5/20/2011 8:42:52 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi everyone,

We just posted the first in a series of tutorial videos. We're starting with each mission in Boot Camp, then we'll post a more general tutorial video using the tutorial mission. Please let us know if this is helpful and whether we need to change anything for the upcoming videos to better help you learn Panzer Command.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsJZ527dYVI

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Post #: 1
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 5/20/2011 10:00:32 PM   
oldspec4

Thanks for doing this...I'll be checking it out ASAP.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 2
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 5/20/2011 10:10:47 PM   
MarkShot

BTW, I am doing Boot Camp #1. Is there anyway to remove the smoke view to see what is going on underneath the cloud? Thanks.

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 3
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 5/20/2011 10:23:55 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkShot
BTW, I am doing Boot Camp #1. Is there anyway to remove the smoke view to see what is going on underneath the cloud? Thanks.

Nope, though that's been added to the wish list. Right now, you have to get down into the smoke to see what's in there.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 4
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 5/20/2011 11:42:36 PM   
DasTactic

Thanks Eric. :) That was great. It is just as instructional seeing how you use the UI within the game. Can't wait for the next video.

Post #: 5
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 5/21/2011 1:01:33 AM   
Enigma6584

Watched the video earlier today. Excellent video, taught me a few things and was entertaining as well.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 6
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 5/21/2011 1:19:51 AM   
Commanderski

Great video! When I played the boot camp I either didn't know about the mortars or it wasn't there at the time. I took the church using just smoke grenades...

Looking forward to more videos.

(in reply to Enigma6584)
Post #: 7
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 5/21/2011 4:37:41 AM   
Rik81

EXCELLENT! One can never have too many tutorials!

One question: Early on in the replay I see where the ground goes "light", how is that done and why -- I missed something there,

Post #: 8
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 5/21/2011 4:40:52 AM   
junk2drive

Press the 5 key to see the underlying terrain map.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to Rik81)
Post #: 9
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 5/21/2011 11:24:16 AM   
Krupinski

I ve only 2 mortars! even on easy settings. thats not enough to cover my infantry with smoke. they get all surpressed very soon. therefore i'm not able to reproduce your result.

btw: why isnt it possible to give area fire to the church tower?

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 10
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 5/21/2011 12:46:17 PM   
junk2drive

See this

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2813722&mpage=1&key=�

BTW easy setting reduces the amount of points that the enemy can spend. It does not change the difficulty.

< Message edited by junk2drive -- 5/21/2011 12:47:42 PM >

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to Krupinski)
Post #: 11
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 5/21/2011 2:36:19 PM   
general_solomon

Thanks a bunch Eric. looking forward to seeing more long videos.

< Message edited by general_solomon -- 5/21/2011 7:21:53 PM >

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 12
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 5/21/2011 3:21:52 PM   
Commanderski

Another comment..since this is "Panzer" Command I think a Boot Camp or tutorial on the basics of tanks in conjunction with infantry would be a good idea.

(in reply to general_solomon)
Post #: 13
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 5/21/2011 3:27:18 PM   
Mad Russian

Area fire on the ground as close to the target as you can get it. This works in all instances.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Commanderski)
Post #: 14
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 5/24/2011 10:37:05 PM   
general_solomon

I think we need sticky for all the videos created by players.

I found this by accident, I was watching a squad battles AAR and walah. also i noticed the second tutorial AAR .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMDVN-f_zps&feature=related

if anyone else has more videos please add them to this thread so everyone find them.

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 15
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 5/25/2011 5:42:55 AM   
junk2drive

Boot Camp scenario 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL-N1PbtD3s&feature=feedu

Post #: 16
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 5/25/2011 2:06:55 PM   
Ssnake51

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Boot Camp scenario 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL-N1PbtD3s&feature=feedu

Thanks for posting these. They are extremely helpful.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 17
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 5/25/2011 7:45:55 PM   
henri51

Is my game discriminating against me? In the first Boot camp video, the Germans have a HMG team, but in my game, there is only infantry and mortars, no matter what difficulty level I choose.

Henri

(in reply to Ssnake51)
Post #: 18
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 5/25/2011 7:49:28 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Henri,

Please grab the updated Boot Camp Campaign from this thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2813722

Unfortunately, the version that went out with the release was not the revised version, but the videos are based on the revised version. This will also be included in the first update.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 19
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 5/25/2011 8:26:20 PM   
general_solomon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi Henri,

Please grab the updated Boot Camp Campaign from this thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2813722

Unfortunately, the version that went out with the release was not the revised version, but the videos are based on the revised version. This will also be included in the first update.

Regards,

- Erik

thanks for the second video. please make some more with you just playing a battle in the snow with the weather on.

Post #: 20
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 5/26/2011 2:04:42 PM   
henri51

The videos are really useful and interesting. But it is always interesting after a battle to analyze the battle for lessons. Now as far as my competence goes, let me say that in my first try at the first Boot Camp scenario, I lost ALL my men when my MG team was suppressed and my advancing Panzergrenadiers were taken in the flank by TWO advancing Russians on my right flank, and when my smoke ran out before I could reach the church . On the second try I took the objective without taking any casualties at all.

What I would like to discuss is the second boot camp scenario (skip this if you don't want spoilers). I did not see the video before starting the scenario. I am still playing it at home, so the outcome is still a bit unsure, but I think it is going well. The big difference with the video is that I moved the unit on my left flank to the startup area near the bridge, and when the scenario started I rushed them to the copse on the left of the bridge across the river (whereas the video has them starting in their own area and rushing towards the river). The other two squads went to the same places as in the video, in the church and in the woods to the right of the bridge.

Another difference is that I was somewhat more conservative in the early use of artillery, starting out with only the 85 mm mortars when there were at least a few enemy trucks visible. I have to say that I did not know where the Russians were going to come from, nor if all of them were going to come from the same direction. However my decision to wait a bit before going in with the heavy artillery turned out to be fortuitous, because after the mortars were finished and I called in the heavies, they caught large numbers of Soviets around the Soviet tree line and decimated them. As for the trucks, ALL of the half-dozen or so that I destroyed were killed by infantry fire, after which infantry fire and artillery fire kept them at bay. It is worth noting that because of the terrain, the 3rd infantry on the left of the bridge cannot see most of the approaching Soviets, which could be an advantage if they get close, since he would have to engage only the closest ones piecemeal, and if they don't get close, they won't take the bridge.

OK, let us now consider strategies and tactics; it seems to me that the 3rd infantry is better near the bridge for two reasons: 1) The objective is the bridge;2) sending them near the river means that they are far ahead of the objective and will probably take considerable casualties. There is a third reason discussed later when alternative Soviet dispositions are discussed. In the video, these PzGr DID take fairly heavy casualties, and if the video had not ended when it did, they probably would have been annihilated.

It is too bad that one cannot play the Soviets in this scenario, because if I were the Soviets, I would not have come along the river as they did. Why? Because the objective is the bridge, and the main obstacle to getting there is the church with infantry calling in artillery and picking off Soviet troops. So an alternative Soviet strategy is to follow the road until the intersection, then make a sharp right turn along the road to the church and rush it. This would have the advantage of staying out of range of the German infantry hidden in the bushes, avoiding any pre-computed artillery in the fields, and an almost certainty to take the church along with the German infantry HQ and preventing any more artillery spotting. To make things worse for the Germans, after the church is taken, the 3rd German squad is out of range of the bridge, leaving only a single German squad defending the bridge.

With this strategy, the only German unit able to fire on the approaching Soviets is the HQ in the church, but it is unlikely that he alone could pin many Soviet units to make it easier for the artillery to hit them while they are pinned.

That is one good thing about this game, there are usually more than one way to play a scenario, and the first time one plays it or if playing against a human, one must take into account various contingencies, such as the possibility of different enemy dispositions and plans. As a matter of fact it might be interesting to have more than one version of some scenarios, with the one being chosen at random, so that the player against the AI is not sure against which one he is playing.

Anyhow, these videos are great and very useful - even for criticizing . Keep them coming!

Henri

< Message edited by henri51 -- 5/26/2011 2:05:43 PM >

Post #: 21
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 5/26/2011 2:24:19 PM   
junk2drive

When a campaign is created the designer can set whether or not a battle from the campaign can be played from the Set Battle menu. In the xml it is shown as showinmenu="false" or "true". If you want to play any of these as Soviet, edit the xml to show "true". They were not designed to be played from the Soviet side so they may not play well that way.

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 22
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 8/21/2012 11:14:57 PM   
Byeohazard

Is there a 3rd Boot camp tutorial out yet...I can not seem to find it.
Thanks!

currently playing: Panzer Corps
learning Distant Worlds

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 23
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 8/22/2012 5:33:36 PM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: Byeohazard

Is there a 3rd Boot camp tutorial out yet...I can not seem to find it.
Thanks!

I don't know if there were any more videos on the Boot Camp scenarios made. If you have some particular question though, you can always open a thread and see what others tried in the next tutorials.

thanks!
rick

(in reply to Byeohazard)
Post #: 24
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 1/2/2013 2:26:03 PM   
PCO_hohlinger

Hi there.

I am new to PCO and just started it for the first time after watching the nice tutorial videos (many thanks for them!!!) and tried the first bootcamp scenario. Now I have a really big problem with my mortars: The HMG is placed slightly on the right as shown in the video and they contacted the arty and ordered some smoke to prevent the russian troops on the opposite side (left side of the church from the sight of the germans) to see my infantry guys. The impact markers of the arty are lined up in the wrong direction (they are perpendicular to the four markers in the video!). Is there a way to change this direction about 90 degrees? I could not find any info on that in the manual and in the net and it would be really helpful.

Many thanks for any answers

Best regards

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 25
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 1/3/2013 5:30:49 PM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: PCO_hohlinger

Hi there.

I am new to PCO and just started it for the first time after watching the nice tutorial videos (many thanks for them!!!) and tried the first bootcamp scenario. Now I have a really big problem with my mortars: The HMG is placed slightly on the right as shown in the video and they contacted the arty and ordered some smoke to prevent the russian troops on the opposite side (left side of the church from the sight of the germans) to see my infantry guys. The impact markers of the arty are lined up in the wrong direction (they are perpendicular to the four markers in the video!). Is there a way to change this direction about 90 degrees? I could not find any info on that in the manual and in the net and it would be really helpful.

Best regards

You can't change the direction / orientation of the artillery. I didn't think there was any change in the artillery placement after the tutorial was made. I'll take a look.

Thanks and I hope you continue to enjoy it!

Rick

(in reply to PCO_hohlinger)
Post #: 26
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 1/3/2013 6:40:04 PM   
Mobius

You can't change the orientation of a spread of artillery at any one spot. But if you center it different points it can orient differently. It's a matter of location, location, location. In the bootcamp it will orient to block the right way if set between the church and the FO.

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 27
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 1/3/2013 6:41:04 PM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: PCO_hohlinger

Hi there.

Best regards

I checked the tutorial then ran the Boot Camp scenario and plotted smoke from HMG on my right flank and it looks like the smoke allignment matches what is in the tutorial. See scrn below. Can you recheck and maybe post a screen shot (F8 in the game to take screen shot).

Also, if you make a mistake plotting, you can cancel the plot, and replot it as long as you cancel in the same turn you place it. If you wait until a later turn to cancel, then there are delays involved and you won't be able to replot immediately.

Thanks
Rick

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rick -- 1/3/2013 7:14:41 PM >

Post #: 28
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 1/4/2013 11:58:40 AM   
PCO_hohlinger

Many many thanks for the fast and helpful answers

I will check it soon and try to post a screenshot when it does not work.

Regards
Peter

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 29
RE: New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos - 1/5/2013 3:34:02 AM   
Mad Russian

Or, you could post a screen shot when it does work.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> New Boot Camp Tutorial Videos Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI