Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Suggestion on Opportunity Fire

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Suggestion on Opportunity Fire Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Suggestion on Opportunity Fire - 7/9/2000 8:46:00 PM   
Jamie

One of the most annoying features of the Steel Panthers system has always been the way opportunity fire works; units blast away at whatever moves or fires in their line of sight as long as it is withen the set range. Currently the problem has become far worse. 88mm AA guns never have any fire to use against either aircraft or vehicles (their most important targets) because they are busily trying to pick off snipers and scouts. This is nonsense. Could a function be created which would allow the player to set target priority as well as range for opportunity fire? For example a unit could be set to fire at; whatever (current), vehicle, AFV, aircraft, infantry, boat. Jamie

Post #: 1
- 7/9/2000 9:45:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

In version 3 there will be a mode where you can "command by negation" ie when an opfire is triggered it will show the line of fire and prompt you to say yes or no so you only take the opfire shots you want. YOu can set the delay you have to make the choice form 1 to 60 seconds. Note that this will not work in pbem games...only vs AI and TCP/IP

(in reply to Jamie)
Post #: 2
- 7/9/2000 11:12:00 PM   
Polrbear

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul Vebber: Paul, Do we have any hope for an email solution to the opportunity fire issue? The way "West Front" addressed this problem seems adequate and would be greatly appreciated in SPWAW.

(in reply to Jamie)
Post #: 3
- 7/9/2000 11:45:00 PM   
Jamie

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: In version 3 there will be a mode where you can "command by negation" ie when an opfire is triggered it will show the line of fire and prompt you to say yes or no so you only take the opfire shots you want. YOu can set the delay you have to make the choice form 1 to 60 seconds. Note that this will not work in pbem games...only vs AI and TCP/IP
Thanks, Paul, When will version 3 appear?

(in reply to Jamie)
Post #: 4
- 7/21/2000 3:55:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Adding extensive OPfire controls is a pretty involved piece of "code surgery" even just adding the command by negation has opened some bugs we need to squash before release. TO be honest after playing a few "live" games I am firmly hooked. PBEM seems quite artificial now. PLaying online with ROger WIlco is the closet "game experience" to good old Face-to-Face I have yet experienced. I realize those of you who pay by the minute for access have a problem. We will see what we can do, but no promises. We hope to have Version 3 out in a few weeks.

(in reply to Jamie)
Post #: 5
- 7/21/2000 4:28:00 AM   
Arralen

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: Adding extensive OPfire controls is a pretty involved piece of "code surgery" even just adding the command by negation has opened some bugs we need to squash before release.
Wouldn't it have been easier to set a "minimum hit-chance for opfire" in the preferences? So you can e.g. tell your troops only to opfire when the chance to hit is greater 10% (or whatever you like, or your ammo supply allows ) just my 2 Eumel of thoughts ( it's 0,02 EU = 2 Eumel) Arralen

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to Jamie)
Post #: 6
- 7/21/2000 5:38:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

WHile we can do that for "base" hit chance, the leader bonus is determined at the moment of combat and can be a pretty big modifier. That is possible, but I think folks want to be able to "filter" infantry, trucks or such out, so they save opfire for the type of unit they want to shoot at.

(in reply to Jamie)
Post #: 7
- 7/21/2000 6:00:00 AM   
Jamie

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: WHile we can do that for "base" hit chance, the leader bonus is determined at the moment of combat and can be a pretty big modifier. That is possible, but I think folks want to be able to "filter" infantry, trucks or such out, so they save opfire for the type of unit they want to shoot at.
Exactly, Paul. I really do not care if my 88 has a 90% to hit chance against snipers. I do not want it wasting its few available shots firing at such a target which can be taken care of by so many other toys.

(in reply to Jamie)
Post #: 8
- 7/10/2000 8:32:00 AM   
Kluckenbill

I mostly PBEM so it would be great to have a fix for PBEM. Its just too hard to get several both myself and my oponent free for the same few hours to play live. Although like all other player, I would like all kinds of Opp Fire options, I think that just using to-hit % instead of range would be a HUGE improvement. EG an 88 would have a 30-40% or thereabouts hit % on a vehicle at a given range but the usual 2% vs a sniper and maybe 4% vs regular grunts.

Target, Cease Fire !

(in reply to Jamie)
Post #: 9
- 7/10/2000 8:49:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

When we release Version 3 we hope to have an opponant matching service so if you are in the mood for a game, you can find an opponant ready and waiting!

(in reply to Jamie)
Post #: 10
- 7/10/2000 11:04:00 PM   
BA Evans

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: In version 3 there will be a mode where you can "command by negation" ie when an opfire is triggered it will show the line of fire and prompt you to say yes or no so you only take the opfire shots you want. YOu can set the delay you have to make the choice form 1 to 60 seconds.
Hi Paul, When the 'opfire' message appears, will it also include the percentage chance to hit? I realize this % chance will chance a bit when your men pull the trigger. The % to hit is one of (the) most important statistics I look at when determining which target I will fire at. Thanks, BA Evans

(in reply to Jamie)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Suggestion on Opportunity Fire Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI