Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

saved game fails to load

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> saved game fails to load Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
saved game fails to load - 3/1/2006 6:43:19 AM   
demonterico

A friend and I are trying our first pbem for WitP (just finished our UV game). We're starting with scenario 4, just to break ourselves in easy. I'm playing Japan. I've completed my first orders phase, advanced the turn, and saved it. I email the file to my friend, and he downloads it into his save folder. He starts the game, goes into the save menu, and finds that the file is there. However, he cannot open it. When he tries he gets the following message: saved game failed to load

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Dave

The world has never seen a more impressive demonstration of the influence of sea power upon history. Those far distant, storm-beaten ships, upon which the Grand Army never looked, stood between it and the dominion of the world. -- Alfred Thayer Mahan
Post #: 1
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/1/2006 6:52:05 AM   
rogueusmc

Did you save or use the 'end orders' button?

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to demonterico)
Post #: 2
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/1/2006 7:38:14 AM   
demonterico

Yes I did press the end orders button. After this problem started I rechecked the game file on my computer and it open up just fine in the allies order phase. It just will not open up for my friend.

The world has never seen a more impressive demonstration of the influence of sea power upon history. Those far distant, storm-beaten ships, upon which the Grand Army never looked, stood between it and the dominion of the world. -- Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 3
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/1/2006 10:44:23 AM   
michaelm75au

Are you both running the same version of the program?

A game saved in, say version 1.6, will not load under 1.3 -- slight save structure changes between some versions will produce that error.
However, a game saved with version 1.3 can be loaded up in version 1.6, but when it is saved will become a slightly different save that version 1.3 wont be able to read.

Michael

Post #: 4
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/1/2006 6:39:08 PM   
demonterico

Thanks Michael and rogueusmc for your responses,
I do appreciate your interest in our problem. I wish this would be such a simple problem to solve, but unfortunately for us, these are issues we've already considered.
We do have some experience as we've been playing a pbem UV game for the last couple of years, and have both owned WitP since it first came out. This is however, our first attempt at a pbem WitP game. After playing UV we weren't expecting any problems with transfering the game file, as we've been doing it for years. Thats what's so frustrating about this problem. We finally finished our UV game and we are both pumped to get started on a WitP game, and now this.
Actually, this is helping me, because as I sit here writing this I'm getting some new ideas I can try out. For one thing we haven't been using winzip to transfer the game file. I can try that. By the way the allied turn does open on my computer, and the file does load into his computer, and come up on his saved menu, so the problem probably exsists somewhere outside of the game. There are still a few things we haven't tried. I haven't personally taken the file to his computer and tried myself to load it, but I can't imagine this would solve the problem. Also, he hasn't tried to reinstall the game yet, but we hope to avoid that possibility as well. I'll try using winzip to transfer the file first. Then maybe I'll try starting a complete new game, and completely redoing my first turn, thereby making a completely new file. And, when I complete all that, I'll get back to you.

Thanks again guys, Dave

Any other ideas out there?

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 5
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/2/2006 12:10:31 AM   
dtravel

When your opponent receives the file and loads it onto his computer, have him check to see if it is somehow getting set to "read only".

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

Post #: 6
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/2/2006 12:50:57 AM   
rogueusmc

quote:

ORIGINAL: dtravel

When your opponent receives the file and loads it onto his computer, have him check to see if it is somehow getting set to "read only".
I betcha that's it...

And as for zipping it, you don't gain much of anything but a pain zipping and unzipping. The game compresses the file I believe.

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 7
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/2/2006 5:18:10 AM   
TulliusDetritus

Totally useless

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 3/2/2006 5:21:51 AM >

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 8
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/2/2006 7:23:32 AM   
dtravel

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Totally useless

No one else around here lets that stop them.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 9
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/2/2006 11:43:58 AM   
michaelm75au

Not necessarily.
Sometimes just zipping up a file will stop a mail program from "mangling" the contents of the attachment.

Michael
quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Totally useless

Post #: 10
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/2/2006 8:06:00 PM   
TulliusDetritus

No sorry, there is a little confusion

My original post was totally useless. I edited it since it was useless. I thought I knew how to fix Demonterico's problem. Many times I had a similar problem in UV PBEM. The problem was: somehow the savegame file was duplicated (in the save folder). That's why I could not open it when my opponent sent his turn.

But I didn't read carefully (as always) Demonterico was sending the first turn of the scenario. Anyway, could his/her opponent have a duplicated file somehow in the save folder, from another game, etc.? In case of doubt s/he should delete all the files and paste the turn again.

In other words, that's more or less what I wrote before I edit the "useless" post.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 11
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/2/2006 11:01:03 PM   
dtravel

Seems like a reasonable possibility to me, Tullius.

Post #: 12
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/3/2006 2:01:15 AM   
demonterico

Hi guys,
Just to update you we're still working on this. My friend (he) is at work right now so we'll be trying the read-only idea and the duplicate file idea this evening. Tullius this is our first move for this game but the slot may have been occupied by another prviuosly made file. So your information is pertinent. We'll find out later. I will post any results here if we get this to work. I've already done as much as I can on my end, short of personally going over to his house and loading the file myself. I've remade the file in slot 100 and sent that today. I've looked at the file the properties menu of my file and Read-only is not checked. Yesterday I did send the file zipped, but that didn't help. Everything works well on my computer. The allied order phase opens up on turn 1 just fine. michealm you are correct, files can be corrupted when transfered. Zipping them should prevent this.

Once again I want to thank everyone for your interest and help. We'd be stuck without you. Dave

< Message edited by demonterico -- 3/3/2006 2:05:58 AM >

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 13
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/3/2006 2:34:06 AM   
Nomad

Just a note, I had a lot of trouble trying to send and recieve turns using Yahoo. I have had no problems with gmail.

Post #: 14
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/3/2006 2:35:34 AM   
Tankerace

Have you tried redownloading it? I know sometimes when I download the turn, it doesn't download correctly, and has a file size of only 200-300k. It should by 734 or thereabouts. That's what always causes me to get the problem.

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

Post #: 15
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/3/2006 9:03:03 AM   
demonterico

Nomad and Tankerace,

Thanks for your input. Yes I have redownloaded this file a number of times already, but I wasn't aware of what the size of the file should be. Your suggestion has now allowed me to check the downloaded file and see that it should be correct. This file is 908k. Hopefully by process of elimination we'll figure this out. This weekend Ralph and I will try doing a transfer on a floppy. I also hope to get over to his place to see what he's doing to upload the file. If the floppy transfer works we can start looking at our email providers.

Thanks, Dave

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 16
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/12/2006 11:04:28 PM   
demonterico

Its me again. We've tried everything we can think of, except completely reinstalling the game and patches, and the problem continues. We've even tried reversing the process ie: he starts the game and does the Japanese order phase, then advances the turn and sends it to me. I load the file on my computer and it opens just fine. However, that still hasn't help pinpoint where the actual problem is. Now we need to know is the file corrupted when I send it or when he downloads it. An easy way to determine this is for me to send the file to another person to see if it will open on their computer. Thats the purpose of this message. Is there anyone out there who can help by trying this for me? I'll be most grateful for your assistence.

Thanks, Dave

Post #: 17
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/12/2006 11:11:05 PM   
Nomad

send it to nomad(dot)pbem(at)gmail(dot)com

BTW, what version and map are you using?

Post #: 18
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/12/2006 11:20:36 PM   
demonterico

We're not smart enough to use any of the mods. We're using the oringinal Matrix map, and the our games are patched to 1.6.
Thanks alot for your help. I really appreciate it. I'll be sending the file momentarily.

Dave

Post #: 19
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/13/2006 1:15:39 AM   
Nomad

Got it and it worked fine. As I asked, have your opponent send me the same file.

Post #: 20
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/13/2006 1:19:04 AM   
demonterico

I missed that part. I'll call him right now.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 21
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/13/2006 1:35:53 AM   
demonterico

No answer.

Post #: 22
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/13/2006 4:23:32 AM   
Nomad

Still no answer?

Post #: 23
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/13/2006 6:26:59 AM   
demonterico

Nothing yet.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 24
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/14/2006 9:32:18 PM   
Nomad

OK, i have recieved two copies of the game file, one from each and both files load properly with no error messages on any kind. It would seem that your opponents computer has a serious problem.

Post #: 25
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/15/2006 12:15:33 AM   
rogueusmc

serious problem?!?!?!...oh yeah, the game won't load...it's just a game...

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 26
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/15/2006 9:21:06 AM   
demonterico

Nomad,

Thanks for your help. Every new piece of information we get helps move us closer to resolving this problem. My guess is that the next step would be to reinstall the game and patches. Any other suggestions out there?

Dave

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 27
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/15/2006 2:28:21 PM   
Nomad

Make sure it is done with the AntiVirus turned off.

Post #: 28
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/24/2006 4:19:57 AM   
Nomad

Did you two ever fix this problem?

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 29
RE: saved game fails to load - 3/24/2006 10:06:45 PM   
demonterico

Hi Nomad,

Unfortunately no. Right now I'm waiting for my friend to figure things out on his end. Best as I can tell the problem is at his place. I've been sidetracked this week (studying for a final) so I haven't tried contacting him lately. I appreciate all the help everyone has provided so far and intend to let everyone know how this concludes. Unfortunately, due to circumstances it could take some time to get this resolved.

Dave

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> saved game fails to load Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI