Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

local air superiority

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> local air superiority Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
local air superiority - 4/17/2006 10:33:22 AM   
duckenf

One thing I would like to seea in TOAW is a map that showed the local air superiority. Currently, the theater AS rating is a summary that isn't actually used for anything, although it can provide an indication of relative air strenght. We have maps for tings like weather, I wold think an overlay with varying shades might indicate the relative AS rating for each hex so the player can get some judgement on where it is relatively safe to move units under their own air cover and where enemy planes rule the skies (and where interdiction, if units are placed in that role) might be more probable.
Post #: 1
RE: local air superiority - 4/17/2006 7:45:53 PM   
golden delicious

That would be neat. One should also have an idea of enemy air superiority- but not too clear an idea.

One could have it so that the air superiority overlay appears on the main map and can be turned on and off like supply trace.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to duckenf)
Post #: 2
RE: local air superiority - 4/17/2006 9:55:55 PM   
duckenf

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

That would be neat. One should also have an idea of enemy air superiority- but not too clear an idea.

One could have it so that the air superiority overlay appears on the main map and can be turned on and off like supply trace.

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking.

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 3
RE: local air superiority - 4/17/2006 10:04:24 PM   
Raindem

That seems to be providing too much detail to the player about enemy air deployments. Perhaps make it dependent on Theater Recon value.

(in reply to duckenf)
Post #: 4
RE: local air superiority - 4/17/2006 10:20:01 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raindem

That seems to be providing too much detail to the player about enemy air deployments.

Well, currently every single enemy air unit is always visible (unless placed on a unit with carrier-type equipment).

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Raindem)
Post #: 5
RE: local air superiority - 4/18/2006 1:29:06 AM   
duckenf

quote:

That seems to be providing too much detail to the player about enemy air deployments. Perhaps make it dependent on Theater Recon value.

Recon is a possibility, but I think you'd have a pretty good idea of how active enemy air units are in various sectors. Reliability so far as the enemy is concerned could degrade the further from your own territory you got, that would seem accurate enough -- but you should at least know exactly how much of your own airforce were providing local air superiority in each hex.

(in reply to Raindem)
Post #: 6
RE: local air superiority - 4/18/2006 8:51:36 PM   
Raindem

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden deliciousWell, currently every single enemy air unit is always visible (unless placed on a unit with carrier-type equipment).

Are you sure? I seem to recall situations where the player only knows that planes are on the base, and not necessarily the number & type.

Post #: 7
RE: local air superiority - 4/18/2006 8:58:15 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden deliciousWell, currently every single enemy air unit is always visible (unless placed on a unit with carrier-type equipment).

Are you sure? I seem to recall situations where the player only knows that planes are on the base, and not necessarily the number & type.

Sorry- you're correct. Just the vast majority of aircraft are visible even at low recon levels.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Raindem)
Post #: 8
RE: local air superiority - 4/19/2006 12:04:32 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

That seems to be providing too much detail to the player about enemy air deployments.

Well, currently every single enemy air unit is always visible (unless placed on a unit with carrier-type equipment).

Provided that Theater Recon is greater than zero.

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> local air superiority Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI