Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Grand Campaign assistance

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Grand Campaign assistance Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Grand Campaign assistance - 6/26/2006 2:50:36 PM   
fcam1387

Hi guys, I started the grand campaign as the Allies. After my brave (but inevitably futile) defence of the Phillipines, Malaya and Singapore, I am now in a stump. It is Jan 1942 and am perplexed at what to do next. While I still have a toehold in the Phillipines and the Singapore garrison is in its death throes the Americans are very short on ships and troops. The Commonwealth on the other hand have a bit, but most of their ships are pretty dated. It is difficult to do much with the Dutch (can you do anything with them?) and I am busy spending political points to free up some Australian battalions to garrison the Solomons and New Guniea. Some advice on what to do next would be much appreciated.

Also, I am using 'auto sub ops,' is this recommended? As of now, they are busy patroling the surrounding waters but suprisingly given their numbers they are hardly hitting anything. Should I do this manually? The problem with that however would seem to be that seeing that there are so many of them, it would dramatically lengthen the turns.

And why in the hell did the 70 or so British fighters in Burma have tough time hitting Jap shipping compared to their counterparts? The Dutch also seem to be having similar problems.

Thanks for your help.
Post #: 1
RE: Grand Campaign assistance - 6/26/2006 2:56:44 PM   
Terminus

You have to use manual Sub Ops, if you want your boats to be effective. It's that simple. It will make the turns longer, that's true, but properly positioned submarines (even allowing for the faulty US torpedoes) will make a biiiig difference. They're basically your only real weapon in the early war.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to fcam1387)
Post #: 2
RE: Grand Campaign assistance - 6/26/2006 4:07:55 PM   
Raverdave

Playing against the AI?   Dig in and fight where and when you can with your ground units.......make a big effort to reinforce Port Morsby as fast as you can, it really hurts the allied player if you loose this.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Grand Campaign assistance - 6/26/2006 4:08:59 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcam1387

Hi guys, I started the grand campaign as the Allies. After my brave (but inevitably futile) defence of the Phillipines, Malaya and Singapore, I am now in a stump. It is Jan 1942 and am perplexed at what to do next. While I still have a toehold in the Phillipines and the Singapore garrison is in its death throes the Americans are very short on ships and troops. The Commonwealth on the other hand have a bit, but most of their ships are pretty dated. It is difficult to do much with the Dutch (can you do anything with them?) and I am busy spending political points to free up some Australian battalions to garrison the Solomons and New Guniea. Some advice on what to do next would be much appreciated.

What have you evacuated? My experience is that you have a good chance of holding your fall-back positions, and the Dutch aren't shabby either.

I try to garrison Akyab, Port Blair, Sabang, Batavia, Soerabaya, Timor, Amboina, Rabaul, the Solomons, Baker, Johnson, Midway, and the eastern Aleutians. Basically I want to force the Japanese player to use the KB to make any progress and then only in a narrow sector. I haven't tried PBEM and don't expect to do anywhere as well, but this approach is very effective against the AI on hard.

quote:

Also, I am using 'auto sub ops,' is this recommended? As of now, they are busy patroling the surrounding waters but suprisingly given their numbers they are hardly hitting anything. Should I do this manually? The problem with that however would seem to be that seeing that there are so many of them, it would dramatically lengthen the turns.

And why in the hell did the 70 or so British fighters in Burma have tough time hitting Jap shipping compared to their counterparts? The Dutch also seem to be having similar problems.

Thanks for your help.

Wait until the Brits and Dutch get some experience. By May, it's dangerous for the KB to hit any part of the perimeter.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to fcam1387)
Post #: 4
RE: Grand Campaign assistance - 6/26/2006 8:36:43 PM   
BLUESBOB

For me it's always been save everything you can...get it all out. Ships, A/C, men, supply, fuel, and oil. If you're playing strictly historical, you have time to get a lot out...but I would have started back in Dec. I find the most important thing to get out oh PI and the DEI is base forces. It looks terrible leaving so many men behind, but the Allies are crtically short-handed on base forces for the entire game. Every USAAF, USN, RAN, RAAF, DAF, etc., etc., is so desperately needed for a loooooong time. And save the political points to change the ABDA to SW Pacific. A command helps out anywhere it is...and the allies are given a ridiculous command structure. ***

***(I have no idea if the Japs are also left in the dark as badly. I'm referring to A/C being able to fly. I have one AF command, the 5th, for the entire SW Pacific...so things constantly refuse to fly. In real life there would have been a lot of court-martials)

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Grand Campaign assistance - 6/26/2006 9:30:17 PM   
John 3rd

I completely disagree with Bluesbob.  FIGHT!  FIGHT!!  FIGHT!!!

Every casualty you inflict on him, every damaged or sunk ship, every plane shot down or an operational casualty, HE CANNOT REPLACE.  You will be able to over time.  Make a line of defense (Midway/Johnson/Palmyra) and defend it!  You'll lose things but in the end, you'll come thundering back.

My .02...

(in reply to BLUESBOB)
Post #: 6
RE: Grand Campaign assistance - 6/26/2006 9:32:12 PM   
bradfordkay

I've never managed to hold Pt Blair in the face of overwhelming Japanese air power. Even if your troops on the ground can defeat a Japanese invasion, it is extremely difficult to reinforce or resupply them with all hte Betties and Zeros that will be based in Rangoon.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to BLUESBOB)
Post #: 7
RE: Grand Campaign assistance - 6/26/2006 10:01:02 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

I've never managed to hold Pt Blair in the face of overwhelming Japanese air power. Even if your troops on the ground can defeat a Japanese invasion, it is extremely difficult to reinforce or resupply them with all hte Betties and Zeros that will be based in Rangoon.

I dump the Rangoon CD and base force there and add one of the Malayan base forces. Dump lots of supply early and use it to upgrade. I then put a couple of fighter squadrons and a Blenheim squadron to help maintain air superiority. I'm *happy* to have the AI hit it with Zeros and Betties--those aircraft are hitting a backwater base and not my naval forces, and every aircraft lost is a pilot who's not coming back. When I need to resupply, I do a Malta run.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 8
RE: Grand Campaign assistance - 6/26/2006 11:00:48 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

As the Japanese player, I love Pt. Blair. Once I take it and increase it to a level 4 airfield, I dump a couple of daitai each of Zeros and Nells/Bettys plus a Mavis or Emily chutai. That pretty much makes the waters around there a Japanese lake. The British don't have the ability to contest it for a long time. Any convoys not hugging the Indian coast are meat. It's one of the few bright spots.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 9
RE: Grand Campaign assistance - 6/27/2006 5:10:55 AM   
fcam1387

thanks guys, one of the things I'm surprised about is how weak the allies (in particular the US) is at the beginning of the game. lol, I can understand why the Japanese were so tempted to launch their attacks considering the weak and scattered defences the Europeans/Americans had in 1941.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 10
RE: Grand Campaign assistance - 6/27/2006 6:19:14 AM   
scott64

Wait until you try a PBEM...

Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/

(in reply to fcam1387)
Post #: 11
RE: Grand Campaign assistance - 6/27/2006 2:11:09 PM   
AmiralLaurent

quote:

thanks guys, one of the things I'm surprised about is how weak the allies (in particular the US) is at the beginning of the game. lol, I can understand why the Japanese were so tempted to launch their attacks considering the weak and scattered defences the Europeans/Americans had in 1941.

Don't try to use your airmen against Japanese ships if they have exp under 70. To get them at 70+ bomb Japanese troops moving outside bases (so no or few CAP). Then they will be able to hit. Your most efficient antishipping weapons are the torpedobombers first (Swordish, Wildebeests, Beauforts, T.IVa), then the heavy bombers once they have a good experience.
Use the AVG as a fireman brigade to cover hot spots. The AI should'nt be able to concentrate enough air power to crush it.

(in reply to fcam1387)
Post #: 12
RE: Grand Campaign assistance - 6/27/2006 4:42:48 PM   
Terminus

The Dutch Martin 139's can be surprisingly effective as well, if you don't fly too high...

(in reply to AmiralLaurent)
Post #: 13
RE: Grand Campaign assistance - 6/27/2006 5:45:14 PM   
mlees

You said in the original post that it is only January '42. It's kinda early to be worried about finding a fight. The fight will come to you, don't worry.

The game is a looong one. You must fight the feeling that you have to be on the offensive somewhere. (Especially versus the AI.) Wait, be patient, conserve what forces you can for later, use you Dutch airforce to try and whittle down some of the Japanese ships.

Reinforce Australia (this includes shipping supplies and feul, as well as troops/planes), Port Moresby, New Caledonia, Dacca/Diamond Harbor as a start.

Build up airfield sizes and port sizes everywhere you have the surplus supply. You will need them when your reinforcments start showing up.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 14
RE: Grand Campaign assistance - 6/27/2006 6:10:45 PM   
Terminus

Yeah, what he said... Take the long view; in the first 10 to 18 months, you'll be on the general defensive.

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 15
RE: Grand Campaign assistance - 6/27/2006 7:03:56 PM   
niceguy2005

quote:

Late joining this thread, but there's lot of good advise here. If you aren't wanting to play too historically and you are playing against the AI, you can rush some troops forward to PM. It's a tough fight to keep it usually, but it can be done. YOu will need a division there immediately though and every fighter you can spare.

ALso, don't over look the war for the DEI. If you spend some PP to move some garrisons from some of the out of the way ports and strengthen Java, Sumatra or Timor you may be able to keep one or more of the islands.

The trick to playing the DEI is not to mass your air or naval assets too early. Avoid a battle of Java sea style engagement. Use your cruisers and DDs in 1,2 and 3 ship groups to raid incoming transports. Spread out your airpower and set them on naval attack at lower altitudes. Once they train up they will score a lot of hits. Even the fighters can be used on naval attack. Set them at 1000 feet. The dutch subs are good. Use them in groups at invasion points and in the straights. Finally, use your PTs in the Java sea; keep them moving.

Using these tactics its possible to almost stop most PBEM players, or at least slow them way down. The AI may be beaten all together.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to fcam1387)
Post #: 16
RE: Grand Campaign assistance - 6/27/2006 7:40:19 PM   
BLUESBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: BLUESBOB

For me it's always been save everything you can...get it all out. Ships, A/C, men, supply, fuel, and oil. If you're playing strictly historical, you have time to get a lot out...but I would have started back in Dec. I find the most important thing to get out oh PI and the DEI is base forces. It looks terrible leaving so many men behind, but the Allies are crtically short-handed on base forces for the entire game. Every USAAF, USN, RAN, RAAF, DAF, etc., etc., is so desperately needed for a loooooong time. And save the political points to change the ABDA to SW Pacific. A command helps out anywhere it is...and the allies are given a ridiculous command structure. ***

***(I have no idea if the Japs are also left in the dark as badly. I'm referring to A/C being able to fly. I have one AF command, the 5th, for the entire SW Pacific...so things constantly refuse to fly. In real life there would have been a lot of court-martials)

I wanted to add to this.

After three PBEM games and I'm on my third AI game where I take PI and everything in the DEI and see what I can do with them...I've gotten really good at running away. Every game I take it to a new plain and see what is able to be rescued. Right now I'm experimenting on how much success I can have...without ever using the U.S. carriers.

Basically, take every AK, AP, and TK and get everything out. Get out every bit of supply and fuel you can and send it to OZ...you'll really need it at the beginning.

Take these same ships and get out as many troops as you can. I start with base forces first. I hate to leave troops behind, but the Allies really need those bases, especially the airfields, built up and operating quickly. Too many planes start becoming available in OZ and you won't have enough air support.

Use every sub you can. You can use them against Jap shipping, or you can use them to evacuate, but use them. If you take heavy losses...so what...it's war. The U.S. fleet boats won't be very effective against Jap ships in the beginning, but they will fight. if you want use them for evacuation and use Brit and Dutch subs against shipping.

Move everything back...but do use some PP's and move troops up to PM. You'll need to hold that. If your able to get enough base forces out you'll have enough to fill out PM, but you'll probably need Aussie troops to defend. I have had U.S. British, Dutch, Australian, and Indian troops and base forces in PM within a couple of months of the game. Truly an international effort there.

Allied aircraft pretty much suck in the beginning. But, if every damn thing is concentrated in one place, you can do some real damage. You'll probably lose everything, but I can guarantee you'll hold.

Finally, this is my favorite thing to do. I take every fighting ship I can grab and set up fast attack TF's. I send CA's, CL's and DD's down from Pearl, I take every ship out of PI and the DEI, I even grab the Repulse and Prince of Wales...and then I go out and wail on the Japs as much as I can. I usually set up Darwin and Townsville as my bases to operate from. I stay away from the carriers, but I'll take on everything else. I lose a lot, but so do the Japs. Thing is...I get them back someday. Your going to lose it anyways...so may as well take a lot with you.

In my current AI game (Feb. 22, 1942 on Hard with a variable set-up)) I have the Repulse & POW along with about 8 CA's, 14 CL's, and over 30 DD's split up and operating out of both ports. They, along with my subs, have put about 54 Jap ships on the bottom. 2 DD's, 2 APD's, 2 ML's, 4 MSW's, 8 PG's, 4 PC's, 1 TK, and the rest all AP's and AK's. Subs have been responsible for 24 of those losses. I've lost about the same, but no capital ships, all PG's, PT's, MSW's, ML's and transports. I want to add, I'm running everything into the ground. SYS damage is getting high on a lot of ships, but I don't have the luxury of sending them back to get fixed. There will come a time, but not in the beginning.

The first six months of the war are my favorite, and I really love playing the Allies. I like to see how much I can stop the Japanese advance with as little as I have. It's a real challenge. I believe it's possible to stop the Jap advance early and give him so many losses that the war is won in the first year...beyond Midway. IMO, the Japs lost this war on Dec. 7th...and I want to prove that the Allies can actually win the whole thing in 1942.

(in reply to BLUESBOB)
Post #: 17
RE: Grand Campaign assistance - 6/30/2006 7:01:51 AM   
RUPD3658

Don't forget to put all your B-17s together for unstoppable air strikes. You can wreck any base or Tf in range.

This is what I fear most as Japan.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to BLUESBOB)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Grand Campaign assistance Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI