Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Slightly Off Topic

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Slightly Off Topic Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Slightly Off Topic - 6/27/2006 12:16:16 AM   
Javakamp

I don't know if anyone would be interested but over the weekend I was in a Wal-Mart and I was going through their $5.50 discount DVD box. While doing so I came across a 3 DVD set of the Victory At Sea TV series from the 60's.

I can't guarantee that your local Wal-Mart will have them, but they all tend to have the same movies in the discount box.
Post #: 1
RE: Slightly Off Topic - 6/27/2006 12:26:30 AM   
Ron Saueracker

I'm off to Walmart.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Javakamp)
Post #: 2
RE: Slightly Off Topic - 6/27/2006 12:34:40 AM   
Mark VII

Wonder which version that is? I think the History Channel version has problems with the sound track ruining the fine music score of the original.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Javakamp

I don't know if anyone would be interested but over the weekend I was in a Wal-Mart and I was going through their $5.50 discount DVD box. While doing so I came across a 3 DVD set of the Victory At Sea TV series from the 60's.

I can't guarantee that your local Wal-Mart will have them, but they all tend to have the same movies in the discount box.

(in reply to Javakamp)
Post #: 3
RE: Slightly Off Topic - 6/27/2006 12:36:29 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark VII

Wonder which version that is? I think the History Channel version has problems with the sound track ruining the fine music score of the original.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Javakamp

I'll keep my eyes peeled for History Channel logos. HC is getting worse over time. Crap programs like Top Ten Fighters (subjective, uneducated drivel), pathetic movies pawned off as historical (Saturday Night Fever???!!! on History on Film?) and the highest concentration of commercials on TV.

< Message edited by Ron Saueracker -- 6/27/2006 12:38:24 AM >

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Mark VII)
Post #: 4
RE: Slightly Off Topic - 6/27/2006 12:42:05 AM   
Mark VII

Its to bad but you are correct Ron. HC has really slid down the slippery slope of the most common denominater type of TV to bring up its ratings. Eye candy for video and commontary that is barely historically correct if not totally wrong! In an effort to bring in more "non-educated" viewers they drive away the truely interested

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

I'll keep my eyes peeled for History Channel logos. HC is getting worse over time. Crap programs like Top Ten Fighters and the highest concentration of commercials on TV.

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 5
RE: Slightly Off Topic - 6/27/2006 1:21:15 AM   
John 3rd

I bought it at Wal-Mart over Christmas.  It was a delight to watch all the episodes!  I haven't seen some of the more obscure ones in a LONG time.

(in reply to Mark VII)
Post #: 6
RE: Slightly Off Topic - 6/27/2006 1:31:07 AM   
JeffroK

I bought the pack that has all of the episodes.

Fantastic, but if you watch them in succesion you see the same clips being added into the action. Not a strictly historical production, and USA biased.

I also got "Why America is at War".

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 7
RE: Slightly Off Topic - 6/27/2006 10:25:10 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark VII

Its to bad but you are correct Ron. HC has really slid down the slippery slope of the most common denominater type of TV to bring up its ratings. Eye candy for video and commontary that is barely historically correct if not totally wrong! In an effort to bring in more "non-educated" viewers they drive away the truely interested

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

I'll keep my eyes peeled for History Channel logos. HC is getting worse over time. Crap programs like Top Ten Fighters and the highest concentration of commercials on TV.

Very true, but its still entertaining at times. I keep it on in the background while I'm doing other stuff. I like their Modern Marvels series. Its pretty informative on subjects I never gave a seconds thought to. I also liked the Battlefield Detectives series, although for the life of me I cant figure out why Jutland was all Beattie's fault.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Mark VII)
Post #: 8
RE: Slightly Off Topic - 6/27/2006 10:49:24 AM   
JeffroK

Beatty was in charge, a loss or victory is his responsibility.

Did the RN lose at Jutland??

What did the High Seas Fleet achive after the Battle?

Did the USN win at Coral Sea?, or despite higher losses achieve its objective?

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 9
RE: Slightly Off Topic - 6/27/2006 11:09:08 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Yes, but no. Sure he was in command, but everything he did was either forced on him, sanctioned from above or was expected of him. Even that whole magazine deal had pretty much become RN SOP at that point. In other words, I dont know why the man would bear personal responssibility for doing exactly what he was supposed to do, namely, being agressive and engaging the Germans.

They didnt delve into who won much. The object of the program were there incredible dissapearing BCs. According to them, the entire sequence of events that led to the loss of the BCs was pretty much Beattie's fault.

Did the USN win Coral Sea? Depends on who you listen to.  It's been the celebrated habit of US military historians for quite a while to see the glass as half full.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 10
RE: Slightly Off Topic - 6/27/2006 8:32:05 PM   
panda124c

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

Yes, but no. Sure he was in command, but everything he did was either forced on him, sanctioned from above or was expected of him. Even that whole magazine deal had pretty much become RN SOP at that point. In other words, I dont know why the man would bear personal responssibility for doing exactly what he was supposed to do, namely, being agressive and engaging the Germans.

They didnt delve into who won much. The object of the program were there incredible dissapearing BCs. According to them, the entire sequence of events that led to the loss of the BCs was pretty much Beattie's fault.

Did the USN win Coral Sea? Depends on who you listen to.  It's been the celebrated habit of US military historians for quite a while to see the glass as half full.

It's very simple, you sacrifice an Admiral to save the Politicians and the CnC from embarrassment.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 11
RE: Slightly Off Topic - 6/28/2006 7:10:42 AM   
bradfordkay

Beatty was merely in charge of the fast squadrons (the battlecruisers and the four Barhams, IIRC). Jellicoe was in charge of the Grand Fleet, and in charge of all once the Grand Fleet joined the fray.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to panda124c)
Post #: 12
RE: Slightly Off Topic - 6/30/2006 6:57:48 AM   
RUPD3658

I got Victory at Sea on DVD for $10 off Ebay about a year ago. Katana entertainment made it and the quality was poor. Since it was B&W anyway it wasn't too bad. Love the music.

Makes me feel bad for kicking butt as Japan though.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Slightly Off Topic Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI