Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wish list

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Wish list Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wish list - 8/18/2006 12:21:28 AM   
Alby

Copied this from another forum....discussion about Enhanced, SPWW2, MBT. H2H etc etc....
just posting for anyone who might be interested...
or for general comment.
My responses Are in RED

Hi Alby,

I do have a wish list for WAW though..

here are a few:

1 - change smoke so that it's no longer a deflector shield (should be able to 'z' fire thru the stuff at least), and so it dissapates more quickly.

Yes that would be nice

2 - change smoke firing ability so that units with zero shots, can't pop/shoot smoke,

That was being worked on last time I spoke with the programmer, but it then caused some other bugs, and then he had PC troubles.
Dont know what ever happened, he usually doesnt tell anyone until he is finished working on things.

3- change the special op fire routine so that the dancing StuG will not happen.

Has been in all versions of SP since SP1, even saw this discussed at schrapnel too. Not sure there is a fix for it.

4 - when units start a turn 'retreating' or 'routed', I find it unreal that when fired upon, they revert to 'pinned' status and seem to have no trouble blasting away.. this ought to be a random event, not a regular one.

Hmmm you talking H2H or Vanilla WAW or both?

5 - allow guns to be destroyed w/o having to kill the entire crew first, as damage is taken (guns, vehicles) one guy should not be able to operate the vehicle/gun at full effectiveness.

True enough

6 - smoke round qty.. mortars and guns should have smoke.. but should they carry more smoke rounds than HE rounds? - many times a mortar/gun will have 30 HE rounds and 30+ smokes also...

Not sure how the game determines how many smoke rounds a unit gets, I know its in the code.

7 - increase the sticking danger for mud and swamps.. normally a very nasty hazard even for tracked vehicles..

I know the "stuck' or "breakdown" chances are higher for this type of terrain but dont know exactly how much...I know it happens to me alot!!

8 - artillery delay for USA/USMC.. perhaps it's reasonable for 60mm's to be able to shoot at the end of a friendly turn, but not everything.. either up the delay to 0.4 across the board, or let other nations with light mortars also shoot at a delay of 0.1

USA artillery should always have a faster response time than anyone else, historical fact, altho i agree I dont like the 01 delay, I have tried to see if I cant adjust that, but so far no luck.
hard coded for the most part.

9 - snipers, commando, and recon types.. '0' profile units in these classes should be very, very hard to spot.. they are trained for concealment.. snipers should be able strike fear into the hearts of an isolated unit, pick off gun crews, and be generally nasty dudes. Unless things have changed, WAW/H2H snipers are little better than a one-man recon team and too easily spotted.

This depends on unit size, anything size 0 should be harder to spot.
Anything with 4 men or more is size 1 and is easier to spot...ala Commandos.
alot also depends on what visibility and spotting preferences you have the game set to.
We have increased Snipers lethality in Enhanced from Vanilla WAW

10- Infantry toughness.. I often have 10 man squads taking 4-5 casualties, and the rest 'disperse'. Infantry seems far too fragile most of the time.

This could be a number of things..what type of infantry, are they fired upon while in the open, are they elite, or conscript.
also INF toughness can abe adjusted in the Preferences screen.

I guess these are my major "I wish" things..

It seemed that for a time Matrix and SPCAMO were working almost hand-in-hand with sometimes very similar improvements, then v7.1 came along and other than PzLeo, the game stagnated (Matrix had been working on a somewhat similar format game - close combat I think - but it's been years with little reported progress other than a few screen shots).

Thanks again for your efforts, and I do look fwds to the next upgrade..

GB

< Message edited by Alby -- 8/18/2006 12:29:19 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: Wish list - 8/18/2006 1:37:08 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

It seemed that for a time Matrix and SPCAMO were working almost hand-in-hand with sometimes very similar improvements, then v7.1 came along and other than PzLeo, the game stagnated (Matrix had been working on a somewhat similar format game - close combat I think - but it's been years with little reported progress other than a few screen shots).

Thanks again for your efforts, and I do look fwds to the next upgrade..

GB

GB, the history of SPWaw is somwhat convoluted, but a big breakthrough was achieved when original programmer Mike Wood decided to revisit the game and released version 8.4 , PLUS an enhanced OOB editor.

The upgraded OOB Editor was truly a godsend, as it allowed independent development of a completely revamped set of OOBs, and a standardized set of ratings/unit prices. This last point was the bugaboo of previous attempts to rework the OOB set. Since then, Mike has gone above and beyond in offering guidance and educating some of us on the inner workings of the game code.

I am certain that Alby and Flashfyre will agree, that without Mike's help, the current definitive OOB set (just one part of the Enhanced SPWaW package) would not have been possible.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 2
RE: Wish list - 8/18/2006 5:35:36 PM   
NoX

Here are my wishes for SPWAW future development:

1. There is a possible bug in the "Weather, Visibility, Lenght" settings when creating a battle: The player cannot set both turns and vissiblity. This is frustrating when say, you want to create a 25 turn game whit weather at, say 1 to get air strikes. But when the battle starts the turns show ok, but the weather may be something else than you inputted denying airstrikes. Could this be looked at?

2. I noticed a problem when looking how the AI works in river-crossings missions. The AI drives bargecarriers forward for two turns and then turns away even if the river has not been reached yet. Could the AI be programmed to drive the Bargecarriers further (say 4 turns) so it would have a better chance of laying the barges on the river? As it is now in all tests Ive made the AI almost never reaches the river whit barge-carriers.

3. The online code as always. I play online games using older 7.1 version because there are less oddities in it but for singleplayer I use the latest version. Would be great if the possible newer version had more stabile online play.

If ideas in general are needed how about making "SPWAW II"? It could basicaly be what spwaw is now but whit improvements that have been suggested over the years included. Also Im afraid that when new operating systems and fast 64bit computers get more common spwaw might not work well anymore. So updating it to more modern standards would be nice for future also.

Best regards: Lahtinen a.k.a. NOX.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Wish list - 8/18/2006 7:42:21 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: NoX

Here are my wishes for SPWAW future development:

1. There is a possible bug in the "Weather, Visibility, Lenght" settings when creating a battle: The player cannot set both turns and vissiblity. This is frustrating when say, you want to create a 25 turn game whit weather at, say 1 to get air strikes. But when the battle starts the turns show ok, but the weather may be something else than you inputted denying airstrikes. Could this be looked at?

I agree, I have seen this one many times.....

2. I noticed a problem when looking how the AI works in river-crossings missions. The AI drives bargecarriers forward for two turns and then turns away even if the river has not been reached yet. Could the AI be programmed to drive the Bargecarriers further (say 4 turns) so it would have a better chance of laying the barges on the river? As it is now in all tests Ive made the AI almost never reaches the river whit barge-carriers.

I have not seen this one, most likely because I have never tried to have the AI cross a river....that I can recall.

3. The online code as always. I play online games using older 7.1 version because there are less oddities in it but for singleplayer I use the latest version. Would be great if the possible newer version had more stabile online play.

I have seen some wired online bugs, like AUX units always showing up with crazy weapons...
but my games always seem fairley 'stable' to me..
maybe I am unclear what you mean by 'stable'

If ideas in general are needed how about making "SPWAW II"? It could basicaly be what spwaw is now but whit improvements that have been suggested over the years included. Also Im afraid that when new operating systems and fast 64bit computers get more common spwaw might not work well anymore. So updating it to more modern standards would be nice for future also.

Best regards: Lahtinen a.k.a. NOX.

Alby

(in reply to NoX)
Post #: 4
RE: Wish list - 8/19/2006 10:08:28 PM   
soldier

Hey this wish list looks almost exactly like my own . I have bought up some of these topics here.
I'd add op fire against unloading units and loading/movement penalties especially for heavy guns (ala WW2).
Slightly smarter op fire routines ( so your recon doesn't shoot at tanks when more appropriate combat units are around).
Bigger maps in long campaign and more slots.
No air recon bug.
We can always wish can't we. Long live the ideals of combat leader

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 5
RE: Wish list - 8/20/2006 5:45:57 AM   
Korpraali V

Six weapon slots 

(in reply to soldier)
Post #: 6
RE: Wish list - 8/20/2006 6:48:57 AM   
Twotribes

Been playing the other 2 games lately, but seems to me that op fire does or used to happen in SPWAW when units unloaded? Could be confused it does happen in SPMBT ( pretty sure in SPWW2 also)

(in reply to Korpraali V)
Post #: 7
RE: Wish list - 8/20/2006 1:57:33 PM   
Goblin

It used to occur, but got turned off somehow. It is/was on Mike's list the next time he gets time to work on it. I think it still happens when unloading a landing craft.

Goblin

< Message edited by Goblin -- 8/20/2006 1:58:38 PM >

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 8
RE: Wish list - 8/20/2006 2:25:54 PM   
m10bob

Night-time aerial flares and illumination from objects on fire, (distance determined by the size of the fire).

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 9
RE: Wish list - 8/20/2006 6:09:20 PM   
Twotribes

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Night-time aerial flares and illumination from objects on fire, (distance determined by the size of the fire).

Nice Idea, but I suspect that vision is determined by conditions set ( modified by unit attributes) and may not allow such an event. Would be nice if I were wrong.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 10
RE: Wish list - 8/21/2006 6:02:52 AM   
h_h_lightcap

There are tons of things spww2 gets right that should be included in SPWAW: blast radius, the movement rates, smoke being popped when fired on(tanks and AC's), suppression. However the horrible graphics and lack of Numbers on the infantry make it almost unplayable---too bad.
HH

edit: I also forgot spotting planes and arty response times

< Message edited by h_h_lightcap -- 8/21/2006 6:03:51 AM >

"My soul knows my meat is doing bad things, and is embarrassed. But my meat just keeps right on doing bad, dumb things." ----Kurt Vonnegut

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Wish list Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI